HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
I cant stand frank shamrock and his braces and even worse is on the CBS shows when they stick scott smith in there with his lazy eye and limited knowledge of the sport. the major sticking point with the UFC and the major networks was Dana told them it is Rogan and Goldberg and thats it, HBO wanted to use one of their boxing announcers and Dana was having zero part of it. i agree with him .
Yeah I heard it was also that those networks wanted to control some or maybe all of the production and editing and things.

I like Shamrock but he is better suited to just calling the action and not standing in front of a camera speaking. I would much rather have Pat Miletich or Stephen Quadros in his spot any time.

Scott Smith the fighter? Do you mean Gus Johnson he kind of has a lazy eye and I will agree I never liked him on the Strikeforce events. I am sure CBS pushed him on Strikeforce.

Love Joe Rogan big time. Goldberg is alright but kind of gets on my nerves at times. At least he seems to have increased his knowledge base over the years. Early on when Joe came on board Golberg would try to make some technical point and Joe would always have to have to correct him and point out why he was wrong. He is still pretty awkward at times in the things he says but not as bad as he used to be. I think Goldberg came from a history of being a hockey and football play-by-play guy. So I guess a boxing announcer is at least coming from a position of knowing one aspect of MMA well.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-16-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Well caught 128 and i was really impressed with Jones. Not only did he destory Shogun, but he caught a mugger before the fight. Talk about an eventful day for him.

Really don't know what is left for Cro Cop, can he really take any more knockouts?

Old
03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
dnicks17

I thought Jon Jones was going to be special after seeing his fight vs. Gusmao. His striking is so crisp now, and Greg Jackson has made his ground and pound just so good.

I don't think he loses the belt for awhile. I don't know who's going to beat him. Shogun was the only guy I thought who could out-strike him and no chance anyone outwrestles him.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I thought Jon Jones was going to be special after seeing his fight vs. Gusmao. His striking is so crisp now, and Greg Jackson has made his ground and pound just so good.

I don't think he loses the belt for awhile. I don't know who's going to beat him. Shogun was the only guy I thought who could out-strike him and no chance anyone outwrestles him.
We'll see how he does against Rashad. Personally I think he walks through him, but Rashad has got damn fine wrestling and you can tell he's going to go for the lay n pray. Considering how easily Jones handled Bader's take down attempts I think Rashad is in trouble.

We'll see how Davis does with Lil Nog, but I think he might be a guy who could challenge Jones. At least he's got the wrestling and ground game to do it. But he might run into a similar problem Bader did.

Bones is just so talented and combine that with how long he is... he's a tough match for anyone at LHW. I would love to see him move up to HW in a couple years (I think he might be forced to, his frame is just so big to stay at LHW for ever). Certainly provides some more matchups.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

It will be interesting to watch if Jon Jones will be the one LHW fighter who can stabilize the UFC title for a few years or if his reign will be on par with that of the Machida era.

Old
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
We'll see how he does against Rashad. Personally I think he walks through him, but Rashad has got damn fine wrestling and you can tell he's going to go for the lay n pray. Considering how easily Jones handled Bader's take down attempts I think Rashad is in trouble.

We'll see how Davis does with Lil Nog, but I think he might be a guy who could challenge Jones. At least he's got the wrestling and ground game to do it. But he might run into a similar problem Bader did.

Bones is just so talented and combine that with how long he is... he's a tough match for anyone at LHW. I would love to see him move up to HW in a couple years (I think he might be forced to, his frame is just so big to stay at LHW for ever). Certainly provides some more matchups.
I agree with you about Davis, best wrestling pedigree at 205 IMO... And he uses it well in MMA... But he has a tough test in Lil' Nog, I would like to see Lil Nog go on a run but he hasnt looked good his last 2 fights.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Spawn

So, UFC 129 tomorrow night!

Shields vs GSP, heres to GSP's 6th consecutive title defense.
Hominick vs Aldo for the featherweight belt. Hominick is a huge underdog and I think he's going to get destroyed. But he's banking on Aldo not having fought a striker of his caliber before.

Old
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So, UFC 129 tomorrow night!

Shields vs GSP, heres to GSP's 6th consecutive title defense.
Hominick vs Aldo for the featherweight belt. Hominick is a huge underdog and I think he's going to get destroyed. But he's banking on Aldo not having fought a striker of his caliber before.
You forgot to mention Randy Couture and what is suppose to be his last fight against Machida.

Looking forward to this one.

On a smaller level, I'm kinda curious to see how Macdonald does against Jensen. But barring injury Macdonald is probably on the June card in Vancouver.

Old
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
dnicks17

Ughh, so pissed.

I had tickets(pretty good ones too), but my boss decided to let me know last week I have a 4 day training course that starts on the 30th.

Old
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
I agree with you about Davis, best wrestling pedigree at 205 IMO... And he uses it well in MMA... But he has a tough test in Lil' Nog, I would like to see Lil Nog go on a run but he hasnt looked good his last 2 fights.
Jones Bones Jones will be a legend, mark my words. I believe his legacy will be longer that GSP's. Really an absurd statement to make since GSP is still on top.

Old
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Ughh, so pissed.

I had tickets(pretty good ones too), but my boss decided to let me know last week I have a 4 day training course that starts on the 30th.

WOW that sucks!!! Want to give em to me? ^___^ I kid...I'm actually going to be in ottawa this weekend for some lame wedding reception thing...bah!

Old
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana White

We want to get over and do Edmonton
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23438/ufc-...title-shot.mma

UFC to Edmonton baby! eventually...

Old
04-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Wheatking

That's awesome. I'd be willing throw a disgusting amount of money the UFC's way if they came to Edmonton.

As for the fights tomorrow...I hope GSP gets the knockout. It's overdue. Aldo should get the win(although he did look like the weight cut was hard on him during the champions Q&A) and I expect Machida to beat Couture in a fairly boring fight. I'll be cheering for Couture though and hoping he goes out with a bang.

Old
04-30-2011, 01:27 AM
bsmith14

Im very excited for Aldo-Hominick. I have been a fan of Hominick since his TKO days, he is the most exciting and technical kickboxer I have ever seen in MMA. Bocek - Henderson should be awesome as well

Old
04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23438/ufc-...title-shot.mma

UFC to Edmonton baby! eventually...
woohoo! Edmonton deserves it! We'd fill whatever venue they used to the brim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
That's awesome. I'd be willing throw a disgusting amount of money the UFC's way if they came to Edmonton.

As for the fights tomorrow...I hope GSP gets the knockout. It's overdue. Aldo should get the win(although he did look like the weight cut was hard on him during the champions Q&A) and I expect Machida to beat Couture in a fairly boring fight. I'll be cheering for Couture though and hoping he goes out with a bang.
The whole card top to bottom looks really good, but the championship fights are a bit lopsided. I love Hominick and his striking prowess but Aldo is a beast at 145. And, unless GSP makes a mistake on the ground with Shields, it should be a straightforward beatdown exhibition for GSP. I'd love to see him get a KO or TKO but his Koscheck fight was amazing, so if it was like that again I wouldn't mind at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Im very excited for Aldo-Hominick. I have been a fan of Hominick since his TKO days, he is the most exciting and technical kickboxer I have ever seen in MMA. Bocek - Henderson should be awesome as well

The only thing I'm worried about the Henderson-Bocek fight is that they regularly match up submission experts with people who have a reputation as being unsubmittable and it can get a bit stale since, well, there's rarely a finish to the fight (although the grappling itself can be fun to watch). Henderson tends to be a dynamic fighter though, so I expect him to push the pace if Bocek doesn't get the early advantage.

Old
04-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Bleh. I hope that Edmonton gets an actual PPV event and not some lame Ultimate Fighter finale or Fight Night.

Old
04-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Bleh. I hope that Edmonton gets an actual PPV event and not some lame Ultimate Fighter finale or Fight Night.
I would argue that MMA is a lot bigger in Alberta than BC and Ontario, but those markets are "bigger" in the sense that more money can be made there. If having a TUF finale or Fight Night in Edmonton before an actual PPV event, I wouldn't complain.

Old
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I might have agreed with you a year ago, but even the free cards lately have been excellent lately and will continue to be.

Old
04-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Not big on UFC anymore but I never miss GSP fights. And to be quite honest I like Jake Shields, he's a hard working, fairly humble guy who's beat everyone he's come across. but I want to see GSP stomp this guy, hopefully get a KO. it's been too long since he's last finished a fight and I would like to see him light Shields up. And Couture versus Machida, that should be quick unless Couture decides to lay on another dude for 15 minutes instead of fighting...

Old
04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
SDig14

So, for someone that only watches the occasional fight, where can I watch this baby online? I haven't watch one since the last GSP fight, and can't remember where I watched the last one.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:45 PM
slambanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
So, for someone that only watches the occasional fight, where can I watch this baby online? I haven't watch one since the last GSP fight, and can't remember where I watched the last one.
found one here: http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/6...s-shields.html

Old
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambanna View Post
Thanks dude.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Thanks dude.
Agreed, thanks again.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:15 PM
ohheyhemsky

Does anyone have Couture for the win?

Old
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambanna View Post
thanks man..this link is buffering a lot but i'll take it..

Closed Thread