HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Does anyone have Couture for the win?
Well, I guess that was your answer WOW...pretty dirty knockout. I don't follow the sport much, but that was pretty sick.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
What an incredibly boring fight.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:27 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
What an incredibly boring fight.
Have to agree. I don't follow the sport much, but there is one thing I don't understand. Wasn't Shields' main strengths being on the ground and trying to submit GSP?

I mean the guy barely tried to take him down the entire fight. I don't understand it. Why try to stand up and throw punches with a guy that has better stand-up than you do? I know it's not easy to take down GSP, but I figure you gotta try at least once a round IMO. Then again, what do I know?

IMO, their styles made for a boring fight.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

GSP vs Shields was so boring.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Digger12

First off, there's no doubt at all that GSP won this fight in a more convincing fashion than the judge's scorecards indicated. I could see giving Shields 1 of those rounds, but 2 of the 3 judges gave him 2 rounds? I can't agree with that.

That being said, does anybody else find it funny how as soon as GSP suffers any sort of injury during a fight, between rounds his corner goes into full "talk George down from the ledge" mode to keep him from losing the plot?

I do give credit to GSP though, even when he's stressing out about things not being absolutely perfect, he does fight through it enough to win...though that Rogan interview just after the decision was announced was cringe-worthy, you could tell that GSP was very disappointed in himself.

I guess I'm just taken aback by the fact that for all of his tremendous talent, he can't seem to finish people off these days, not even via submission...it's like he's afraid to go all out against an opponent unless they're hurt and GSP has minimal risk to himself. He doesn't have that same aggressiveness like he once had.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
First off, there's no doubt at all that GSP won this fight in a more convincing fashion than the judge's scorecards indicated. I could see giving Shields 1 of those rounds, but 2 of the 3 judges gave him 2 rounds? I can't agree with that.

That being said, does anybody else find it funny how as soon as GSP suffers any sort of injury during a fight, between rounds his corner goes into full "talk George down from the ledge" mode to keep him from losing the plot?

I do give credit to GSP though, even when he's stressing out about things not being absolutely perfect, he does fight through it enough to win.

I guess I'm just disappointed that for all of his tremendous talent, he can't seem to finish people off these days, not even via submission...it's like he's afraid to go all out against an opponent unless they're hurt and GSP has minimal risk to himself. He doesn't have that same aggressiveness like he once had.
Can you have rounds that are scored a tie in UFC? Or does someone win every round? Perhaps 2/5 rounds were scored a tie, 2 GSP rounds, and 1 to Sheilds? I couldn't understand how 2 judges gave Shields 2 rounds, so is that a possibility?

Old
05-01-2011, 12:25 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:

I do give credit to GSP though, even when he's stressing out about things not being absolutely perfect, he does fight through it enough to win...though that Rogan interview just after the decision was announced was cringe-worthy, you could tell that GSP was very disappointed in himself.

I guess I'm just taken aback by the fact that for all of his tremendous talent, he can't seem to finish people off these days, not even via submission...it's like he's afraid to go all out against an opponent unless they're hurt and GSP has minimal risk to himself. He doesn't have that same aggressiveness like he once had.
You could see the frustration on GSP's face...he really wanted to put him away. On the flip side though, he continually fights the top contenders, so it's not surprising that he doesn't "put them away".

Old
05-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Can you have rounds that are scored a tie in UFC? Or does someone win every round? Perhaps 2/5 rounds were scored a tie, 2 GSP rounds, and 1 to Sheilds? I couldn't understand how 2 judges gave Shields 2 rounds, so is that a possibility?
In the scenario you're giving there, I think the scores then would've been 49-48 GSP, since a tied round would've given each fighter 10 points. Since they were scored 48-47, that means that 2 rounds would have to have been scored for Shields.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:52 AM
SDig14

Quote:
In the scenario you're giving there, I think the scores then would've been 49-48 GSP, since a tied round would've given each fighter 10 points. Since they were scored 48-47, that means that 2 rounds would have to have been scored for Shields.
Ah, ya good call. Shows how much I know about the sport

Old
05-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's not really imperative, but it would be nice to see GSP finish off his opponent in his next fight.

Old
05-01-2011, 01:37 AM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 133
I wish they give major points for blood

Old
05-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Spawn

The is the first time that since the first Serra fight that I wasn't super impressed by GSP. All of his past fights, even if some haven't been super exciting to some fans (I've loved them all) he's been absolutely dominant. He didn't look like the same GSP tonight. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering the eye injury he had though. He still pretty easily got the decision (48-47 from two judges really? maybe 49-46...).

As I said on the MMA board, even with 1 eye and on his worst night GSP beat who most in the MMA world considered to be the #2 WW and one of the top 10 P4P fighters in the world pretty handily.

The Machida KO was crazy. Poor Randy. Steven Seagal is going to single-handidly revolutionize MMA with the kicks he's teaching Machida and Silva

Old
05-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Zap Brannigan

Makdessi got screwed over for KO of the night.

That spinning back fist was the coolest KO ever

Old
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
OilDrop37

A Couple quotes from yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl..._victory050111

Quote:
This guy (Shields) is no joke,” said White. “He’s been unbeaten for a very long time. Do I wish there were fireworks and they were standing there blasting each other? All that stuff’s great. But it doesn’t always play out that way. Georges is getting a lot of criticism for not finishing, but he’s fighting the best guys in the world.”
Quote:
St. Pierre’s handlers during the week said that he would be 193 pounds when he went into the cage. That would be an increase over the usual 187-188 pounds St. Pierre fights at after making 170 the night before. The champion appeared bigger across the shoulders. But while the added weight appeared to be all muscle, as St. Pierre maintained his usual next-to-zero body fat percentage, it did not appear to be to his benefit as a fighter. He didn’t appear nearly as fast, nor was his striking as crisp. If anything, this fight appeared to be a warning sign about trying to get up to 200 pounds and then compete as a middleweight
Quote:
The most talked about next fight for St. Pierre would be a dream fight with Anderson Silva. The fight has been talked about for years, and St. Pierre always answers the question stating that he would need to slowly build the muscle mass needed to fight someone who is so much bigger than he is. But Saturday’s fight and the way the added muscle affected him seems to indicate it’s not in his best interest
Silva would've murdered GSP last night

I feel for GSP, he consistently destroys the competition that the UFC hands him, yet gets criticized for not finishing them. So when he fights his biggest competition in Shields and tries to go out of his comfort zone to appease his critics, he ends up having one of his "poorer" performances and then really gets ripped on. The guys the Champ and yet is stuck in a bit of a limbo because he's too powerful for the welterweights but obviously isn't anywhere close to being able to take on a guy of Silva's talent.

Maybe he will take a hiatus and tryout for the Canadian Olympic wrestling team?

Old
05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
Makdessi got screwed over for KO of the night.

That spinning back fist was the coolest KO ever
I donno about that... Machida was channeling his inner karate kid with that KO last night.

Old
05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23438/ufc-...title-shot.mma

UFC to Edmonton baby! eventually...
Well I hope he gets in before the comission dicks around and then makes MMA too difficult to sanction in Alberta.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
AUAIOMRN

I think some of the blame for GSPs lack of finish has to go to his opponents. It seems they would rather lose on points than risk getting finished while going for the win.

Although that may be because by the time it becomes inevitable, they're too tired to really go for it. GSP needs an opponent who will go after him right from the beginning, like what Sonnen did to Silva.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
I think some of the blame for GSPs lack of finish has to go to his opponents. It seems they would rather lose on points than risk getting finished while going for the win.
I feel the same way. If we're going to criticize a fighter for playing it too safe while he's winning a fight, what does that say about the fighters who are playing it safe while obviously losing? Where's their competitive spirit? Maybe they're hoping they'll get lucky with a late submission or something, but then they don't even try...

Old
05-02-2011, 02:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
I feel the same way. If we're going to criticize a fighter for playing it too safe while he's winning a fight, what does that say about the fighters who are playing it safe while obviously losing? Where's their competitive spirit? Maybe they're hoping they'll get lucky with a late submission or something, but then they don't even try...
Those guys that are losing and fight defensive get pink slips.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
bsmith14

I hope he gets Nick Diaz next, then Silva.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Mac91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I hope he gets Nick Diaz next, then Silva.
IMO Diaz should be the next to fight GSP, Silva would destroy him., hes to big and to good at striking. GSP's size disadvantage would kill him in this fight. he would be much slower then he is at welter. Inless he can put on the weight properly and get his speed up to where its at against Josh, he has no buisness fighting Anderson.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:49 AM
joestevens29

Time for MMA to start changing the rules on cutting weight. Maybe if GSP wasn't weighing 193 pounds he wouldn't be dominating these guys so much. Boxing was trying something that would limit how much a guy could put on overnight, but it never really went anywhere. If the UFC wants to see GSP and Silva be challenged then let them be fighting closer to their weight classes, not the class above.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Time for MMA to start changing the rules on cutting weight. Maybe if GSP wasn't weighing 193 pounds he wouldn't be dominating these guys so much. Boxing was trying something that would limit how much a guy could put on overnight, but it never really went anywhere. If the UFC wants to see GSP and Silva be challenged then let them be fighting closer to their weight classes, not the class above.
the answer to that problem is simple, same day weigh ins, getting the commissions to agree, thae hard part.

I think gsp will dump diaz on his back and hump him for 5 rounds, he isnt going to stand like he did with shields. diaz is prone to cuts so a few elbows and i wouldnt be surprised to see a stoppage

Old
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the answer to that problem is simple, same day weigh ins, getting the commissions to agree, thae hard part.

I think gsp will dump diaz on his back and hump him for 5 rounds, he isnt going to stand like he did with shields. diaz is prone to cuts so a few elbows and i wouldnt be surprised to see a stoppage
Why is it so hard for the commission to agree on this? Isn't part of their job to protect and make sure the fight is fair? How exactly is it fair for a guy that weighs in at the 170 limit to be be fighting a guy that is almost 25lbs heavier?

As for Diaz, I don't really want to see the cross over of UFC-Strikeforce this early. It would be the begin of the end for strikeforce and would result in the UFC absorbing yet another group of fighters.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:35 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why is it so hard for the commission to agree on this? Isn't part of their job to protect and make sure the fight is fair? How exactly is it fair for a guy that weighs in at the 170 limit to be be fighting a guy that is almost 25lbs heavier?

As for Diaz, I don't really want to see the cross over of UFC-Strikeforce this early. It would be the begin of the end for strikeforce and would result in the UFC absorbing yet another group of fighters.
I don't understand these types of complaints. Both guys can cut weight. The rules are the same for both of them.

Closed Thread