HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
I don't understand these types of complaints. Both guys can cut weight. The rules are the same for both of them.
Not all guys can cut weight like that. Why have a weight limit if he means nothing come fight time?

Old
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not all guys can cut weight like that. Why have a weight limit if he means nothing come fight time?
Well there are catch weight fights where both guys kind of meet in the middle pretty often. If memory serves guys like Nick Diaz, Jake Shields have done this in the recent past.

It is amazing with some fighters their walking around weight is like 15-25 pounds more than their fight weight. Not sure why they put themselves through that sometimes.

They need another weight class in the heavyweight division as well - something like 206-230 pounds.

I mean look at Fedor's last fight against Silva the guy had like 35-40 pounds or something like that on him. He got on top of him on the ground and there is no getting up or doing much. Fedor is a pretty tiny heavyweight. Would like to see him drop down permanently to light heavyweight, but I hear he is not a fan of cutting weight. That possible weight class I mentioned would help though.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well there are catch weight fights where both guys kind of meet in the middle pretty often. If memory serves guys like Nick Diaz, Jake Shields have done this in the recent past.

It is amazing with some fighters their walking around weight is like 15-25 pounds more than their fight weight. Not sure why they put themselves through that sometimes.

They need another weight class in the heavyweight division as well - something like 206-230 pounds.

I mean look at Fedor's last fight against Silva the guy had like 35-40 pounds or something like that on him. He got on top of him on the ground and there is no getting up or doing much. Fedor is a pretty tiny heavyweight. Would like to see him drop down permanently to light heavyweight, but I hear he is not a fan of cutting weight. That possible weight class I mentioned would help though.

Fedor always looks doughy. I would bet he'd be a massive light heavyweight and would probably go on another big win streak if he dropped down a weight class.

...I can't find the article now for the life of me, but I recently was reading an article about how most fighters still do weight cutting improperly, and that the anguish is in doing it wrong. I've seen stories that suggest that, for instance, Forrest Griffin's non-camp weight can be up as high as 260 lbs, yet he cuts to 205 pretty easily.

If I can dig up the article, it's a really fascinating look at weight cutting.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

found the article.

It's not an easy thing of course, I'm not sure I'd want to put my body through that stress, but I think this article shows that weight cutting can be a hell of a lot easier than a lot of people have made it out to be.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Time for MMA to start changing the rules on cutting weight. Maybe if GSP wasn't weighing 193 pounds he wouldn't be dominating these guys so much. Boxing was trying something that would limit how much a guy could put on overnight, but it never really went anywhere. If the UFC wants to see GSP and Silva be challenged then let them be fighting closer to their weight classes, not the class above.
It's not like the guys GSP are fighting aren't huge going into the fight also. Jake Shields is a bigger fighter than GSP is and likely cut a similar amount of weight. Same with guys like Hardy and Alves. Jon Fitch used to be that big too but now he's on a vegan diet and has dropped a bunch of weight.

Weight cutting in general kind of sucks, it's unhealthy for the fighters and in the end likely doesn't result in that much of a benefit come fight time. But it's the only way to compete at certain weight classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac91 View Post
IMO Diaz should be the next to fight GSP, Silva would destroy him., hes to big and to good at striking. GSP's size disadvantage would kill him in this fight. he would be much slower then he is at welter. Inless he can put on the weight properly and get his speed up to where its at against Josh, he has no buisness fighting Anderson.
Eh, I don't think Silva would destroy GSP. It could go very similarily to the Sonnen fight except that GSP isn't likely to get caught in a triangle when in top control.

Silva's takedowns have never been particularily great, he just rarely fights guys who have awesome takedowns. GSP seems hesitant to move up to middleweight, and I don't blame him because he really doesn't look big enough, but I could see him taking on Silva and doing decent enough in the standup to be able to land takedowns.

It's not like GSP ever gets outstruck, he's outstruck everyone he's ever fought. Other than a Matt Serra fluke, no one has been able to compete with him on the feet. He has never fought a striker of Silva's caliber obviously, but it's likely been a long time since Silva has fought one of GSP's caliber. Belfort might have had better power but I'm not sure his striking was as technical.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Zap Brannigan

GSP fighting Diaz would be a horribly one sided 50-45 decision just based on style match ups for GSP.

Nick Diaz would lose to Shields in a 50-45 decision

Old
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
joestevens29

LAS VEGAS -- UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar's title rematch with Gray Maynard is off due to injuries to both fighters.

The two were slated to meet in the main event of UFC 128 in Las Vegas on May 28.

The UFC announced Monday that both fighters had suffered injuries in training.

The main event will now feature the light-heavyweight bout between former champion Quinton (Rampage) Jackson and Matt (The Hammer) Hamill.

Not good. Should be a free card now.

Old
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
joestevens29

So has it been decided what weight Henderson and Emelianenko are going to fight at?

Old
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Muad'Dib

Quote:
[I]LAS VEGAS -- UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar's title rematch with Gray Maynard is off due to injuries to both fighters.

The two were slated to meet in the main event of UFC 128 in Las Vegas on May 28.

The UFC announced Monday that both fighters had suffered injuries in training.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23536/ufc-...d-fighters.mma

I find it funny that this comes out on the day that the UFC announced that it is now going to provide health/accident insurance for fighters who are injured while training.

Quote:
In a room packed with hundreds of mixed martial arts' top athletes, the long-awaited announcement was met mostly with relief.

Officials from Zuffa LLC, the UFC and Strikeforce's parent company, today announced all of its contracted fighters now get accident-insurance coverage. The company's fighters learned of the additional coverage today at the four-day "fighter summit" in Las Vegas.

That means training injuries – which are costly and not previously covered by their independent-contractor agreements – will be picked up by the organization.

"Our athletes are some of the very best in the world, and we've committed significant financial resources to provide them with insurance that complements the gold standard we have set for event-related coverage," UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta stated in today's announcement. "We’re pleased to provide coverage that enables our athletes to seek and receive treatment for injuries sustained while preparing for bouts."

Officials didn't state how much the additional coverage for the approximately 350 fighters will cost the company, but a media call is planned for this afternoon.

Sticking with requirements by the regulatory state-athletic commissions, Zuffa LLC previously covered all injuries sustained during fight night. But pre-fight camps, which often produce a myriad of injuries, weren't covered. That often left fighters, who were banking on needed paydays, unable to compete, unpaid, and likely saddled with thousands of dollars of expenses.

After all, getting any type of year-round healthcare insurance is all but impossible for a professional fighter. (In fact, many fighters have trade/sponsorships deals with their local physicians to get basic services.)

The UFC's new policy adds 24-hour worldwide medical-life insurance and dental coverage, as well as emergency medical evacuation. Zuffa will pay 100 percent of all premiums to its partner, Houston Casualty, while employing a fulltime claims processor in house.

"As this sport continues to grow, we have been working hard to secure additional insurance coverage so that our athletes can perform at the highest levels," UFC president Dana White stated. "We're proud to give our athletes access to this type of insurance."

Old
05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23536/ufc-...d-fighters.mma

I find it funny that this comes out on the day that the UFC announced that it is now going to provide health/accident insurance for fighters who are injured while training.
Really sounds like a solid move by the UFC, but that must just be a huge headache for them.

Old
05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Really sounds like a solid move by the UFC, but that must just be a huge headache for them.
There has been rumblings lately of support for a fighters union. Doing this is probably less costly and comes with less headache then taking on that whole situation. I am sure the fighters appreciate this and it will quiet that whole thing down a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
GSP fighting Diaz would be a horribly one sided 50-45 decision just based on style match ups for GSP.

Nick Diaz would lose to Shields in a 50-45 decision
I am not saying Diaz would win. But IMO you are underrating Nick Diaz.

I am a huge GSP fan. But beyond that how sad is it you basically say GSP would massively dominate Diaz. But still it would go to a 5 round decision. No faith in George's finishing ability?

Old
05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
joestevens29

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=365519

So the mixed martial arts organization is challenging UFC and Strikeforce fighters to get creative with the social media tool.

The more than 300 fighters were briefed on the plan at this week's fighter summit in Las Vegas.

According to a UFC official, the UFC and Strikeforce fighters will be divided into four groups depending on their number of Twitter followers.

Every three months, the groups will be judged on most followers, largest percentage increase in followers and most creative tweets.

The winners in each category in each group will get US$5,000.

Article goes on to quote Dan Hardy saying twitter will be flooded with fighters and it also mentions the cost going to be 240k a year.

Once again showing that Dana White knows how to reach out to his fans.

Old
05-20-2011, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

Totally forgot, but yesterday was MMA Live 1 in London Ontario. Not a whole bunch of guys on the card, probably more locals, but the main event was Ryan Ford vs Karo Parisyan.

Followed it on twitter and sounds like Ford had a pretty good fight winning by TKO due to doctor stoppage. I guess Parisyan was really missed up.

I don't see Ford as someone that ever makes it in the UFC, but I think he could be one of those guys that is tops in Canada and gets a few stints from time to time in the UFC.

Old
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Oilerdiehard

Thanks Joe for the update. I would have liked to have seen that fight. I wonder how Parisyan looked for the most part? I was a fan of his but have not seen him for what seems like forever.

Just in case anyone has HDNet and likes Kickboxing. HDNet signed on with this organization from overseas called It's Showtime. The first event is tonight and features some K1 fighters like Badr Hari, Daniel Ghita and Tyrone Spong.

Old
05-20-2011, 10:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Thanks Joe for the update. I would have liked to have seen that fight. I wonder how Parisyan looked for the most part? I was a fan of his but have not seen him for what seems like forever.

Just in case anyone has HDNet and likes Kickboxing. HDNet signed on with this organization from overseas called It's Showtime. The first event is tonight and features some K1 fighters like Badr Hari, Daniel Ghita and Tyrone Spong.
It sounded like a real back and forth fight with Karo getting some good takedowns and clinches. Both guys had a ground and pound, and that is where I think the cut either happened or got worse for Karo. I guess Ford also tried an Silva/Machida front kick, but missed.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Totally forgot, but yesterday was MMA Live 1 in London Ontario. Not a whole bunch of guys on the card, probably more locals, but the main event was Ryan Ford vs Karo Parisyan.

Followed it on twitter and sounds like Ford had a pretty good fight winning by TKO due to doctor stoppage. I guess Parisyan was really missed up.

I don't see Ford as someone that ever makes it in the UFC, but I think he could be one of those guys that is tops in Canada and gets a few stints from time to time in the UFC.
the event oganizers were probably so happy that Karo even showed up to fight. Ballsy move having him headline. imo of course

Old
05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the event oganizers were probably so happy that Karo even showed up to fight. Ballsy move having him headline. imo of course
Who knows he probably phoned them last week to tell them he was going to fail a piss test and they probably said don't worry.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
joestevens29

Watched 130 on Saturday thought it wasn't bad, then I read on twitter how horrible it was.

People didn't like how Mir and Nelson were both gassed, but to me it was a fight that was pretty much slated to be a one rounder and then when Nelson wouldn't go down we had to see 2 more rounds. Heck Mir had a fractured jaw and rib, not sure what more could've been asked considering what they gave in Round 1.

Same goes for Rampage and Hamil. Rampage should've won in the first round, but somewhere in the fight he broke his hand.

I'm real curious to see where Browne goes next. Him and Stann are two guys to watch going forward.

Also thought Torres was robbed, but Rogan pointed it out a few times that even though he was doing more from his back that the judges would probably give Mighty Mouse credit for being on top.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Watched 130 on Saturday thought it wasn't bad, then I read on twitter how horrible it was.

People didn't like how Mir and Nelson were both gassed, but to me it was a fight that was pretty much slated to be a one rounder and then when Nelson wouldn't go down we had to see 2 more rounds. Heck Mir had a fractured jaw and rib, not sure what more could've been asked considering what they gave in Round 1.

Same goes for Rampage and Hamil. Rampage should've won in the first round, but somewhere in the fight he broke his hand.

I'm real curious to see where Browne goes next. Him and Stann are two guys to watch going forward.

Also thought Torres was robbed, but Rogan pointed it out a few times that even though he was doing more from his back that the judges would probably give Mighty Mouse credit for being on top.
I didn't get why people were disappointed either. It wasn't the best card but it doesn't help that the Edgar/Maynard fight had to be postponed.

...and I don't remember if it was the first or second round but Rampage had Hamill dazed and confused at the end of it. If he had 10-20 more seconds he would have got the knock out for sure. He also stopped 15-20 take down attempts. I think the only thing Rampage didn't do was finish Hamill. In his defense, sometimes you need help from your opponent. Hamill stood back and had no interest in trading punches with Rampage. He was fine with going for his failed takedown attempts and clinch against the fence that lead to no damage being done or points being scored.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Hoogaar23

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with a chin like Nelson! Mir caught him flush with a few knees and punches, still wouldn't go down.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I didn't get why people were disappointed either. It wasn't the best card but it doesn't help that the Edgar/Maynard fight had to be postponed.

...and I don't remember if it was the first or second round but Rampage had Hamill dazed and confused at the end of it. If he had 10-20 more seconds he would have got the knock out for sure. He also stopped 15-20 take down attempts. I think the only thing Rampage didn't do was finish Hamill. In his defense, sometimes you need help from your opponent. Hamill stood back and had no interest in trading punches with Rampage. He was fine with going for his failed takedown attempts and clinch against the fence that lead to no damage being done or points being scored.
I just felt that Rampage and Mir gave 110% in round 1 and Nelson and Hamil just shocked everyone. Rounds 2 and 3 were bonuses for me.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with a chin like Nelson! Mir caught him flush with a few knees and punches, still wouldn't go down.
Meh, by the time they hit his gut and then ******* there really wasn't much left for the chin

Old
05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Yeah look at the fight against Junior Dos Santos as well. Junior hit him with half a dozen punches that would probably knock out most men.

Always been a Nelson fan since watching him back in the IFL days on tv. I remember back then him going toe to toe with Ben Rothwell and Rothwell was so frustrated as he kept hitting Nelson with big knock out blow after blow and the dude just kept coming at him.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah look at the fight against Junior Dos Santos as well. Junior hit him with half a dozen punches that would probably knock out most men.

Always been a Nelson fan since watching him back in the IFL days on tv. I remember back then him going toe to toe with Ben Rothwell and Rothwell was so frustrated as he kept hitting Nelson with big knock out blow after blow and the dude just kept coming at him.
Makes you wonder how good Nelson would really be if he worked out instead of pounding back burgers. He has a lot of talent, but he will never get anywhere in today's UFC heavyweight division.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:54 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
yeah dude, watching arlovski tee off on his was painful to watch, you almost feel bad for him, if he dropped the gut he would be so much better. hard not to like the guy though.

also Rick story was awesome, made me $40. he said before the fight that alves is mentally weak and he would break him, and he did. i loved it his trailer trash balls to the wall style.

Closed Thread