HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2011, 10:03 AM
  #301
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Makes you wonder how good Nelson would really be if he worked out instead of pounding back burgers. He has a lot of talent, but he will never get anywhere in today's UFC heavyweight division.
Well we have no clue what he does and does not eat and it is unfair to assume we do. So I will skip responding to that part. But in the past he seemed to have the gas to go three rounds. The last couple fights however it was quite obvious he was gassed out by the halfway point or sooner.

The one thing I wondered about is he mostly has a gut on him. His legs and arms are not overly big and the weight is not distributed evenly. If he really does work off his mid-section that would mean shedding the majority of his total body fat. Then does he automatically by default go into the Light Heavyweight division?

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
  #302
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well we have no clue what he does and does not eat and it is unfair to assume we do. So I will skip responding to that part. But in the past he seemed to have the gas to go three rounds. The last couple fights however it was quite obvious he was gassed out by the halfway point or sooner.

The one thing I wondered about is he mostly has a gut on him. His legs and arms are not overly big and the weight is not distributed evenly. If he really does work off his mid-section that would mean shedding the majority of his total body fat. Then does he automatically by default go into the Light Heavyweight division?
He has talked many times about eating chesseburgers after winning fights.

So if he did go into the LH divison would he not be right up there? He has a very rounded game other than stamina. I think the reason he seems gassed sooner now is that he is fighting a lot better guys. It's one thing to go the distance with Rothwell/Monson, but against a Dos Santos or Mir it's a different story.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
  #303
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He has talked many times about eating chesseburgers after winning fights.

So if he did go into the LH divison would he not be right up there? He has a very rounded game other than stamina. I think the reason he seems gassed sooner now is that he is fighting a lot better guys. It's one thing to go the distance with Rothwell/Monson, but against a Dos Santos or Mir it's a different story.
Yeah a lot of athletes do that after accomplishing something or a win or whatever. I remember Taylor Hall mentioning last pre-season after him and Eberle finished whatever it was they were going out for some cheese burgers. Also Nelson kind of plays things up for the fans.

Oh I was not saying anything negative about him going to the LH division. It might be a better division for him. Yeah that is a fair point that he is going against guys now with higher work rates and hit even harder (which in itself has to wear you down quickly when you are taking punishment). I think some of it has to do with age as well. You can not get away with stuff in your mid 30s that you did in your mid/late 20s without keeping yourself in good shape.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
  #304
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah a lot of athletes do that after accomplishing something or a win or whatever. I remember Taylor Hall mentioning last pre-season after him and Eberle finished whatever it was they were going out for some cheese burgers. Also Nelson kind of plays things up for the fans.

Oh I was not saying anything negative about him going to the LH division. It might be a better division for him. Yeah that is a fair point that he is going against guys now with higher work rates and hit even harder (which in itself has to wear you down quickly when you are taking punishment). I think some of it has to do with age as well. You can not get away with stuff in your mid 30s that you did in your mid/late 20s without keeping yourself in good shape.
He's hair do would suggest otherwise

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-30-2011, 11:08 AM
  #305
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
I don't think Nelson would fair well at LHW... I feel he would lose most of his power, he has always been a naturally big guy... I've never seen him gas until his last two fights... But I think if he dropped to the 240 range, it would only benefit him in the future.

PepsiFiend is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
  #306
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Well 131 went this past weekend and I did something I haven't done before, that was just watch the fight at home with no friends and no beer. Didn't feel like going out to watch the fight and in the end I think the 50 bucks I spent was probably cheaper than going out.

Overall I liked the card. I started with Spikes Stout vs. Edwards and that was the perfect start up fight for me. Solid knockout and I still don't know if Edwards woke up.

Cerrone destroyed Rocha on the opening ppv fight. While Rocha probably didn't look to bad the next day, I'm sure his legs were black and blue. It was really a miss match and Cerrone took the GSP route and did what was working and that was leg kicks. I wouldn't be shocked if Rocha can't walk this week.

Einemo vs. Herman, first Herma comes out to Boy George(culture club) do you reall want to hurt me. Then the guy just can't stop smiling, even when he got tagged and looked like he was in trouble he smiled. Just as Rogan and Goldberg were about to write Herman off he comes back TKO's Einemo. Peewee Herman is a good nickname for this kid.

Maia-Munoz was a fight that I think most would be shocked at how well Maia was as a standup fighter. Really evolved his game. While I thought Munoz won the fight, I have no idea how he got a 30-27 by one judge. Maia won the first round hands down.

Florian- Nunes, well this idiot didn't really put two and two together, but with Florian being from Boston area of course he wore a Bruins jersey to the weigh ins. Couldn't figure out why he was getting booed at first. Florian dominated, didn't get the finish he would've wanted but he proved he is ready to be a contender in the 145 divison. Apparently he was 180 when he first started the cut, and he said it was the worse thing he has ever done in his life. I expect the next time he won't be cutting as much as he won't be coming off a surgery that allowed him to get bigger than he wanted. It's funny and Joe pointed it out, in boxing 145 is just under the 147 limit for Welterweight which is such a common division in Boxing. In MMA it's considered so small, but yet in boxing it's accepted as one of the most common divisions.

Finally the main event, Dos Santos-Carwin. Once again I'm not sure what exactly the standard is for a stoppage due to punches. Carwin was destroyed in the first and took a ton of shots while on his knee. Granted none were KO punches they broke his nose and cut his face up all over. After this he pretty much couldn't overcome Dos Santos, while he seemed to pick it up later in R2 he just couldn't match the speed and boxing skill of Dos Santos. Dos Santos won easily and will now take on Velasquez at 136 on Oct. 8th. While Carwin was dominated he did show that he has the stamina to go outside of R1, which is good to see. I suspect he fights Nelson next.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
  #307
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well 131 went this past weekend and I did something I haven't done before, that was just watch the fight at home with no friends and no beer. Didn't feel like going out to watch the fight and in the end I think the 50 bucks I spent was probably cheaper than going out.

Overall I liked the card. I started with Spikes Stout vs. Edwards and that was the perfect start up fight for me. Solid knockout and I still don't know if Edwards woke up.

Cerrone destroyed Rocha on the opening ppv fight. While Rocha probably didn't look to bad the next day, I'm sure his legs were black and blue. It was really a miss match and Cerrone took the GSP route and did what was working and that was leg kicks. I wouldn't be shocked if Rocha can't walk this week.

Einemo vs. Herman, first Herma comes out to Boy George(culture club) do you reall want to hurt me. Then the guy just can't stop smiling, even when he got tagged and looked like he was in trouble he smiled. Just as Rogan and Goldberg were about to write Herman off he comes back TKO's Einemo. Peewee Herman is a good nickname for this kid.

Maia-Munoz was a fight that I think most would be shocked at how well Maia was as a standup fighter. Really evolved his game. While I thought Munoz won the fight, I have no idea how he got a 30-27 by one judge. Maia won the first round hands down.

Florian- Nunes, well this idiot didn't really put two and two together, but with Florian being from Boston area of course he wore a Bruins jersey to the weigh ins. Couldn't figure out why he was getting booed at first. Florian dominated, didn't get the finish he would've wanted but he proved he is ready to be a contender in the 145 divison. Apparently he was 180 when he first started the cut, and he said it was the worse thing he has ever done in his life. I expect the next time he won't be cutting as much as he won't be coming off a surgery that allowed him to get bigger than he wanted. It's funny and Joe pointed it out, in boxing 145 is just under the 147 limit for Welterweight which is such a common division in Boxing. In MMA it's considered so small, but yet in boxing it's accepted as one of the most common divisions.

Finally the main event, Dos Santos-Carwin. Once again I'm not sure what exactly the standard is for a stoppage due to punches. Carwin was destroyed in the first and took a ton of shots while on his knee. Granted none were KO punches they broke his nose and cut his face up all over. After this he pretty much couldn't overcome Dos Santos, while he seemed to pick it up later in R2 he just couldn't match the speed and boxing skill of Dos Santos. Dos Santos won easily and will now take on Velasquez at 136 on Oct. 8th. While Carwin was dominated he did show that he has the stamina to go outside of R1, which is good to see. I suspect he fights Nelson next.
I thoroughly enjoyed UFC 131. Well worth the money spent and I had a friend over to watch with a few beers. This card had everything, and it was a real joy to watch Damian Maia show off competent standup skills after getting embarrassed against Silva.

That Munoz/Maia fight probably could have gone either way, and DOs Santos showed he's an absolute beast at Heavyweight and him vs. Cain will be a fantastic showing.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
  #308
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed UFC 131. Well worth the money spent and I had a friend over to watch with a few beers. This card had everything, and it was a real joy to watch Damian Maia show off competent standup skills after getting embarrassed against Silva.

That Munoz/Maia fight probably could have gone either way, and DOs Santos showed he's an absolute beast at Heavyweight and him vs. Cain will be a fantastic showing.
I love the HW divison right now. There is just so many elite fighters, backed with a lot of good fighters and then a bunch of prospects.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 10:25 AM
  #309
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I love the HW divison right now. There is just so many elite fighters, backed with a lot of good fighters and then a bunch of prospects.

the HW division is very up and down for me. There are some fantastic fighters who are legit heavyweights, like Mir, Dos Santos, Carwin, Lesnar, Cain and the boys in strikeforce will only add to that...but it's a division plagued with a lot of 'lazy' fighters who just like punching each other in the face and eating lots of food (Nelson being the posterboy for it). A great HW fight is fun to watch, but a mediocre fight is often REALLY bad at HW.

I'm actually a bigger fan of the smaller weight classes and am stoked at the news that Dana White is actively looking to introduce a flyweight (125) class by 2012 (estimated). The bantamweights and featherweights (lightweights too of course) tend to fly around the octagon and are rarely boring.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
  #310
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
the HW division is very up and down for me. There are some fantastic fighters who are legit heavyweights, like Mir, Dos Santos, Carwin, Lesnar, Cain and the boys in strikeforce will only add to that...but it's a division plagued with a lot of 'lazy' fighters who just like punching each other in the face and eating lots of food (Nelson being the posterboy for it). A great HW fight is fun to watch, but a mediocre fight is often REALLY bad at HW.

I'm actually a bigger fan of the smaller weight classes and am stoked at the news that Dana White is actively looking to introduce a flyweight (125) class by 2012 (estimated). The bantamweights and featherweights (lightweights too of course) tend to fly around the octagon and are rarely boring.
The problem with the smaller divisions is there is really no big names and the majority of fans are all about the names. Even the 145 division, as good as it is Aldo had no one to fight that would make him a main event attraction. Now with Florian he has that.

As for the hw division, you are right but the top 10 or so fighters of that division are great to watch.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
  #311
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The problem with the smaller divisions is there is really no big names and the majority of fans are all about the names. Even the 145 division, as good as it is Aldo had no one to fight that would make him a main event attraction. Now with Florian he has that.

As for the hw division, you are right but the top 10 or so fighters of that division are great to watch.

part of that is that the lower weight classes are still pretty new. Even Lightweight is fairly new compared to HW, LHW etc.

Another problem is purely marketing. The UFC has done a good job here and there getting individual fighters to raise their profile, but there's still a real lack of push to get casual fans to care about the lighter weight classes.

Then there's the fighters themselves. A lot of them are foreign (which is tough to market when they don't speak ANY english. It limits their fan interaction) and the fighters themselves need to take a little more ownership of hyping their fights.

Still, I love watching the lighter classes clash. 145 is becoming incredibly deep with several lightweights dropping down, and with no clear p4p candidate at bantamweight, lightweight and even featherweight (Aldo needs to beat some more top flight competition to enter that conversation) the opportunity for great matchups is there, whereas at Welterweight there's almost no one left for GSP unless Diaz upsets, Marcquart finally takes the next step at 170 that he never could at 185, or a guy like Rick Story comes out of the woodwork and become a legitimate challenger.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
  #312
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
part of that is that the lower weight classes are still pretty new. Even Lightweight is fairly new compared to HW, LHW etc.

Another problem is purely marketing. The UFC has done a good job here and there getting individual fighters to raise their profile, but there's still a real lack of push to get casual fans to care about the lighter weight classes.

Then there's the fighters themselves. A lot of them are foreign (which is tough to market when they don't speak ANY english. It limits their fan interaction) and the fighters themselves need to take a little more ownership of hyping their fights.

Still, I love watching the lighter classes clash. 145 is becoming incredibly deep with several lightweights dropping down, and with no clear p4p candidate at bantamweight, lightweight and even featherweight (Aldo needs to beat some more top flight competition to enter that conversation) the opportunity for great matchups is there, whereas at Welterweight there's almost no one left for GSP unless Diaz upsets, Marcquart finally takes the next step at 170 that he never could at 185, or a guy like Rick Story comes out of the woodwork and become a legitimate challenger.
Story-Marquardt is going to be a good one. I'd suspect Story has to be close to a title shot if he wins, not that I think he wins but he'd be next in line.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
  #313
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Some comments and news:

- It was interesting to find out Roy Nelson had been diagnosed with Walking Pneumonia shortly before his fight against Mir. But fought anyway. Maybe it was more than his gut that had him gassing out in that fight.

- It is going to interesting to see Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Michael Bisping as the next TUF coaches. Mayhem is just a little crazy most of the time and both are big antagonizing types.

- A little late but during the TUF finals show I thought that was an awesome display of using body shots as your main weapon by Maldonado. I would like to see some fighters go to the body more (love body shot TKOs). Kingsbury kept trying to go for the Muay Thai clinch with the knees and Maldonado just brutalized his body for it each time. Kingsbury must have been one sore dude for a while after that one.

- I expected a lot of WEC fighters to get buried. So not too surprising to see some of the ones that used to be on WEC main cards now in the prelims or dark matches (that only get used if they have time left over due to fights finishing early). Though a few of them are getting a decent push.

- Heard something about the UFC planning on a 125 pound weight division. Good move by them, some of these small guys put on great fights. (Edit - Ooops just noticed CanadianCommie already mentioned this...)

- After all currently scheduled bouts are done. All future main events in the UFC will be 5 rounds, regardless of whether a title is up or not.

- UFC is looking for a possible new home (channel) for most of their tv programming. Apparently they told Spike they would have to pay the UFC 325 million a year to keep their rights going forward. Spike is apparently not crazy about that. So the UFC is shopping it around it various channels. But also have had preliminary discussions with NBC / Comcast about purchasing their own channel and that channel would be the G4 channel. Which is a channel that does a lot of programming on video games and stuff like that, but apparently their viewership has taken a nose dive in recent times and NBC wants to dump their lowest viewership ratings channel. That is very interesting stuff to follow.

- Bellator to have their first show in Canada soon.

- After the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix tourney is over. Overeem says he wants to fight Cain Velasquez.



- Anyone see this Rampage Jackson interview after his last fight with the motorboating comment/incident on this female reporter? She said she was part Jamaican and he said "she's Jamaican me horny!" Apparently the UFC got some heat for allowing their fighters and announcers to act this way or something. As afterwards Joe Rogan apparently posted on a forum about it calling that female reporter the C word (I have heard Rogan talk about a MMA forum he posts on, think it is called The Underground or something like that). Anyway here is the video.




Also anyone notice those wall pictures they had of Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos on the show? I could not find them, these ones are not as good as those big black & white ones. But every time I seen them, it made me think they would both make great Frankenstein stand-ins if you put some bolts on their neck and stitch on their forehead.




Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 01:51 PM
  #314
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
I was wondering when the whole 5 round main events were going to come. Really could change a fight. Hopefully co-main events are subject to the same.

Not shocked by the move by UFC to potentially leave spike. As long as we still get them in Canada I won't have an issue with this. This is pretty major for spike, not only the UFC events but how about all the UFC bonus footage they show? How about having UFC fighters on deadlist warrior? Might seem small, but this could really hurt spike.

What happens if Overeem doesn't win the tournament?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 02:01 PM
  #315
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Forgot this weekend is the strikeforce card.

Real curious what that Cormier kid has, I guess he isn't a kid at 32 but fairly new to MMA. 5'11, 250lbs.

Main card (Showtime)
Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal bout: Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum[1]
Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal bout: Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers[1]
Lightweight bout: K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal[1]
Heavyweight bout: Daniel Cormier vs. Jeff Monson[1]
Heavyweight bout: Valentijn Overeem vs. Chad Griggs[1]
[edit] Preliminary Card (HDNet)Lightweight bout: Gesias Cavalcante vs. Justin Wilcox[1]
Lightweight bout: Conor Heun vs. Magno Almeida[1]
Welterweight bout: Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Joe Ray
Welterweight bout: Todd Moore vs. Mike Bronzoulis[1]
Welterweight bout: Brian Melancon vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg[1]

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 02:38 PM
  #316
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Yeah with Overeem I have no idea. I guess he is just that confident (like most fighters) that he is going to win it. Though at the same time the title is not on the line. Though originally Overeem asked for it to be but Strikeforce apparently started running into red tape trying to get all Grand Prix fights to be 5 rounds. They did not think the alternative of some fighters having to go 5 rounds while others not going 5 rounds was fair. So they just decided not to put his belt up. Anyway, that is my long winded way of saying he will still be Strikeforce champ. So far most of the Strikeforce vs UFC talk has been champ vs. champ, so that angle would still be in play I guess.

Yeah I agree Cormier is an interesting fighter. World Class wrestler (many titles, medals, was part of the US wrestling team at the 2004 Olympics & the 2008 Olympics where he was captain of the team - though he got injured and could not compete). The rest of his game seems to be coming along and he is training with some good strikers like King Mo Lawal etc... He is going against a grizzled vet in Monson, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
  #317
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,823
vCash: 81
So stupid question, but I'm slowly but surely getting into MMA, anyone want to educate me on some prospects(is that the right word?) coming up?

Guys who are establishing themselves, but yet have to concrete themselves as upper echelon MMA fighters (a la Cain and Jones)?

I've watched TUF alot, and a few events, but I'd still like to get to know some of the more interesting young fighters in the MMA, before they establish themselves.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
  #318
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So stupid question, but I'm slowly but surely getting into MMA, anyone want to educate me on some prospects(is that the right word?) coming up?

Guys who are establishing themselves, but yet have to concrete themselves as upper echelon MMA fighters (a la Cain and Jones)?

I've watched TUF alot, and a few events, but I'd still like to get to know some of the more interesting young fighters in the MMA, before they establish themselves.
MMA is a weird sport for prospects. Some are young like a Stefan Struve and then there is other like Cormier who are in their 30's before they even take up MMA. Dave Herman and Travis Browne seem like a couple HW that could make a name for themselves one day. Herman went something like 12 fights before he decide to join a gym and train for MMA.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is a Bantamweight(135) who I think has some potential to be a pretty solid fighter. At 24 he has the potential to be around for a long time.

Anthony Pettis is a lightweight who I thought was close to a title shot until his most recent loss to Clay Guida. He's only 24 so he should be able to bounce back, and it's not like every fighter is going to be ready for Guida. While Guida doesn't seem to be a guy that will ever hold the LW belt, he is a guy that will give you more than any fighter.

There are quite a few good prospects, the real problem is on any given night you can lose and take yourself out of contention. Nate Marquardt was suppose to be the next guy to get a shot at Silva, but 4 fights later and it looks like he is back to square one.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
  #319
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
I forgot Mousasi. Not sure what that kids angle is. He goes on a huge winning streak dominating both middleweight and light heavyweight, but then he lost to Muhammad Lawal which I can handle. What I can't handle is him having a draw with Keith Jardine who is washed up in my books.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
  #320
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Q - Is Bisping going to be the first TUF contestant to become a coach there?

Heavyweights - Dos Santos/Velasquez is looking epic. Two huge guys who come in fit and love to bang, the people in the front rows will be required to wear hearing protection. With a decent undercard this fight would be worth $200 on ppv.

May as well put GSP on the undercard. His fights are boring and a foregone conclusion anyways, he's not main event-worthy anymore imo.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
  #321
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,700
vCash: 500
Ughh, I hope not.

I absolutely despise Bisping.


And, as for up-and-comers, my favorite has to be Rory MacDonald.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
  #322
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Ughh, I hope not.

I absolutely despise Bisping.
Yeah I'm always surprised when he wins a fight, I think he's weak standing and on the ground. He has a surprisingly good record, 21 wins in 24 fights and only 4 by decision.

Quote:
And, as for up-and-comers, my favorite has to be Rory MacDonald.
agreed

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
  #323
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Yeah I'm always surprised when he wins a fight, I think he's weak standing and on the ground. He has a surprisingly good record, 21 wins in 24 fights and only 4 by decision.
I used to really like Bisping. I think it was his fight vs. Dennis Kang where I really started to like him. But now, I just can't stand him.

I'm glad Ross Pearson is around. The Brits really aren't represented well with Bisping, Hardy and (formerly) Daley.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
  #324
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,288
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Q - Is Bisping going to be the first TUF contestant to become a coach there?

Heavyweights - Dos Santos/Velasquez is looking epic. Two huge guys who come in fit and love to bang, the people in the front rows will be required to wear hearing protection. With a decent undercard this fight would be worth $200 on ppv.

May as well put GSP on the undercard. His fights are boring and a foregone conclusion anyways, he's not main event-worthy anymore imo.
Bisping was already a coach vs Henderson.

Kosechek, Serra, Griffin, Evans.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
  #325
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Q - Is Bisping going to be the first TUF contestant to become a coach there?
Well Bisping might be actually as far I recall. But it will not be for this upcoming season. If you remember he was the coach for the TUF season that was the USA vs England. So this is actually Bisping's second go around as a coach. Josh Koscheck was also a coach, but that was after Bisping.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So stupid question, but I'm slowly but surely getting into MMA, anyone want to educate me on some prospects(is that the right word?) coming up?

Guys who are establishing themselves, but yet have to concrete themselves as upper echelon MMA fighters (a la Cain and Jones)?

I've watched TUF alot, and a few events, but I'd still like to get to know some of the more interesting young fighters in the MMA, before they establish themselves.
As Joe mentioned above it is kind of hard to follow very many prospects in MMA. A lot of them are either on small shows or in places like Dream from Japan or Bellator (I think that might be on maybe the Score channel there - new season soon).

Also if you have the HDNet channel they put on events from some smaller shows like Dream, Titan Fighting Championships, Shark Fights, Legacy Fighting, United Glory, M-1 Global, Maximum Fighting Championships (from Edmonton) etc...

They just had a Maximum Fighting Championships event on last on Friday. It will be repeated, so check it out. For example I think that Wescott kid from Edmonton that was on that show looks to be a interesting up and comer.


Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 06-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.