HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 07:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Just thinking out loud, but is it not possible to continue to run Strikeforce the way they were? Would it really be the end of the world to keep them separate and then once a year have a showdown?
They could but that would raise Strikeforce to the UFC's level and I'm sure Dana White wouldn't want to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How come you never post in the MMA forum? Lord knows you cant be all that busy on the Wild board.
Don't venture out into Page 2 too much.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
Hague, MacDonald, Loiseau were all short term replacements and were convenient because they didn't need a visa and already held licenses in Quebec. Same thing with Doerkson coming in late and fighting Lawler.
And that is exactly why Strikeforce uses local talent on their under cards. What's more convenient, flying a guy in from across the country or taking someone that is right there and doesn't have to worry about travel costs and hotel costs? Plus local talent is more appealing to local fans. You think if UFC came to Edmonton that it wouldn't be more worth while to have Jason Macdonald and Ryan Ford on the card rather than two guys that no one cares about from Florida or Texas?

Old
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Zap Brannigan

Quote:
And that is exactly why Strikeforce uses local talent on their under cards. What's more convenient, flying a guy in from across the country or taking someone that is right there and doesn't have to worry about travel costs and hotel costs? Plus local talent is more appealing to local fans. You think if UFC came to Edmonton that it wouldn't be more worth while to have Jason Macdonald and Ryan Ford on the card rather than two guys that no one cares about from Florida or Texas?
When the WEC came the Edmonton there wasn't one local fighter on any part of that card. Instead it had a future headliner in Diego Nunes, future top 10 Bantamweight and Featherweights in Renan Berao and Erik Koch, top 10 FW Wagney Fabiano.

Its like they got good fighters on that undercard who are making stuff happen and being relevant

Old
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
When the WEC came the Edmonton there wasn't one local fighter on any part of that card. Instead it had a future headliner in Diego Nunes, future top 10 Bantamweight and Featherweights in Renan Berao and Erik Koch, top 10 FW Wagney Fabiano.

Its like they got good fighters on that undercard who are making stuff happen and being relevant
There isn't exactly that many locals that can fight on the Bantamweight or Featherweight cards in Edmonton.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
joestevens29

Been a couple UFC cards since this was updated.

Couple shocks this past event, while I am a fan of Tito and I thought Leben was going to win I was shocked at how quickly they won and how they did it.

Tito has always been a good all around fighter with good boxing skills, but I was shocked at how easy he finished Bader. All of a sudden Bader who was looking like a potential contender for the belt to start the 2011 year could very well be on the chopping block. Probably would need to lose his next 2 fights to be cut, but the reality is there.

Might be time for Wanderlei to call it quits. He has done very little for my liking since he knocked out Jardine in 08. His fights are just too far apart and when he does finally fight the results aren't great.

Haven't seen the whole card yet so I can't comment on the main event and few of the prelims which apparently were quite good.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Looking forward to the Stann vs Sonnen fight in October. I'm expecting the winner to get a shot at Silva.

Also, looks like Nov will see Valasquez vs Dos Santos.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Looking forward to the Stann vs Sonnen fight in October. I'm expecting the winner to get a shot at Silva.

Also, looks like Nov will see Valasquez vs Dos Santos.
I was looking forward to Machida and Sonnen. Too bad that feel through. Stann-Sonnen will be a good one though.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:39 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Been a couple UFC cards since this was updated.

Couple shocks this past event, while I am a fan of Tito and I thought Leben was going to win I was shocked at how quickly they won and how they did it.

Tito has always been a good all around fighter with good boxing skills, but I was shocked at how easy he finished Bader. All of a sudden Bader who was looking like a potential contender for the belt to start the 2011 year could very well be on the chopping block. Probably would need to lose his next 2 fights to be cut, but the reality is there.

Might be time for Wanderlei to call it quits. He has done very little for my liking since he knocked out Jardine in 08. His fights are just too far apart and when he does finally fight the results aren't great.

Haven't seen the whole card yet so I can't comment on the main event and few of the prelims which apparently were quite good.

i hate tito but even i enjoyed him finishing his first fight in a decade, a relevant tito makes the sport better imo,

Old
07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i hate tito but even i enjoyed him finishing his first fight in a decade, a relevant tito makes the sport better imo,
It sure does. Having him on a card draws a lot of fans even if he isn't the main event. Him being the 3rd fight on a card must make the UFC smile.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Muad'Dib

You have to watch this video.

"Do you remember when I said he fed the bus a carrot..."

Old
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

I seen that Sonnen interview. That guy cracks me up. Once he gets going some of the stuff that comes out of his is insane. Laughed my way through that interview.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Muad'Dib

I see that the Calgary Combat Sports Comission is facing some controversy.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24350/kim-...heila-bird.mma

http://topmmanews.com/2011/07/11/cal...ture-to-fight/

They allowed Kim Couture to fight despite the fact that they were informed that she was still suspended by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and than when she was choked out the ref allowed her opponent to hold onto the choke hold for a good ten seconds after her legs went limp.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Kim really ought to find a different hobby before she gets maimed.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Kim really ought to find a different hobby before she gets maimed.
Isnt it a little late for that?

Old
07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Isnt it a little late for that?
Well, maybe. I should have said "crippled" or "horribly disfigured" or "left in a vegetative state" rather than "maimed." Either way, she should stop. Immediately.

"Find what it is in life that you don't do well. And then, don't do that thing."
-The Most Interesting Man In The World on choosing a career.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
I see that the Calgary Combat Sports Comission is facing some controversy.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24350/kim-...heila-bird.mma

http://topmmanews.com/2011/07/11/cal...ture-to-fight/

They allowed Kim Couture to fight despite the fact that they were informed that she was still suspended by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and than when she was choked out the ref allowed her opponent to hold onto the choke hold for a good ten seconds after her legs went limp.
Wow I see what you mean. She goes limp, then the camera pans around to her face and she was clearly out, glassy eyed and unconscious and looking horrible. At this point the ref seems to ask her if she is still okay, one look at her face and it is clear she is not okay. Then he still picks up her wrist and drops it to see if she is limp and she is. Then the ref waves his arms in the air showing it as a finish first before even attempting to physically break the hold. It is not an easy job, but definitely not very good awareness by the ref.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:15 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
I know it happened like 3 weeks ago, but this thread reminded me...

How crazy was the end to that Kongo vs. Barry fight?

(Quality is kind of ******)

Old
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Wow I see what you mean. She goes limp, then the camera pans around to her face and she was clearly out, glassy eyed and unconscious and looking horrible. At this point the ref seems to ask her if she is still okay, one look at her face and it is clear she is not okay. Then he still picks up her wrist and drops it to see if she is limp and she is. Then the ref waves his arms in the air showing it as a finish first before even attempting to physically break the hold. It is not an easy job, but definitely not very good awareness by the ref.
That must be who all the MMA fighters on twitter were saying should get fired and never ref again. I couldn't figure it out, not that I really tried that hard. Was Earl Hebner the ref?

As for CGY who the heck knows why they let her fight. What exactly can happen to the Comission for screwing up?

Old
07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
That must be who all the MMA fighters on twitter were saying should get fired and never ref again. I couldn't figure it out, not that I really tried that hard. Was Earl Hebner the ref?

As for CGY who the heck knows why they let her fight. What exactly can happen to the Comission for screwing up?
they can put a ban on fighters getting licensed there, they cant stop calgary from doing anything but if a fighter fights there the other comissions can suspend the fighter. This is used as a deterent so basically anyone who wants to fight in NV or CA or NJ etc wont fight in Calgary

Thats why a fighter suspended in Nevada won't fight in California (or shouldnt). Each states honour each others suspensions even if the offence was only in one state. Some comissions (NJ i think) wont let suspended fighters fight anywhere, even japan.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
joestevens29

Well 133 will now be Rashad and Tito. Could be a big 30 days for Tito if he somehow finds a way to beat Rashad.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Well 133 will now be Rashad and Tito. Could be a big 30 days for Tito if he somehow finds a way to beat Rashad.
That would be crazy, but I just do not see any way in which Tito can win this fight.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Zap Brannigan

Titos going to make a million bucks in 5 weeks.

not hard to see why he took this fight

Old
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Titos going to make a million bucks in 5 weeks.

not hard to see why he took this fight
Initially there were reports he turned down the fight. I wonder if the UFC came back and increased the money offer?

Old
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Muad'Dib

I'm really looking forward to the Kenny Florian/JC Cavalcante match at the All Ball Brawl. Check out their promo. I think it is going to be epic

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/65...t-shot-edition

Old
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Oilerdiehard

http://mmaweekly.com/with-recent-win...g-a-ufc-return

Not sure how many out there watch the Horwich vs. Rosholt at Sharks Fights 17 on HDNet recently. But this quote cracked me up:

Quote:
One aspect of the match that Rosholt wasn’t prepared for, was a conversation Horwich started with him late in the fight.

“I think it was in the third round and he was on his back and I was standing over him, punching him, and his corner was yelling at him loudly and he looks at me and says, ‘Don’t you hate that when your corner is yelling at you to do something and you can’t do it? I would do it if I could.’ It was really funny and it kind of caught me of guard,” commented Rosholt. “I said, ‘Yeah,’ and kept punching him.”

Closed Thread