HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Overeem allegedly took vacation after his bout with Werdum and thus didn't train. Something about didn't go to camp early as he wasn't expecting another bout that quick.

His cut probably just reeks Dana setting him for UFC.
Probably a New Years fight with Cain/JDS...which I wouldn't oppose
The story I heard was Overeem fought with some nagging injuries against Werdum. He was told ahead of time if he did that fight he would not have to fight again in the tourney until near the end of the year. Then they came back to him shortly after the Werdum fight and said no we changed our mind you have to fight already again in September. He said he needed some time to recover from injury and properly train.

Also on the Inside MMA show they hinted that Overeem only had one fight left on his contract. But if he won the next fight he would not be under contract for the finals of the Grand Prix. They speculated that Overeem was already asking for a lot more money to sign a new contract.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:37 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Bell used to have a HDNET channel that showed Strikeforce fights but it is gone. I did watch a strikeforce "b" level card last week on Superchannel. Not sure if they show big fights there though

edit:
Bell ch.1278 has the fights on it tonight starting at 5:45 MST with a few old Fedor and Hendo fights.

We dont get showtime in Canada, Superchannel picks up some of the shows and others like Tudors are on Bravo!.
It's on shaw 162 and 229 whatever channels that is.

Old
07-30-2011, 03:28 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
The story I heard was Overeem fought with some nagging injuries against Werdum. He was told ahead of time if he did that fight he would not have to fight again in the tourney until near the end of the year. Then they came back to him shortly after the Werdum fight and said no we changed our mind you have to fight already again in September. He said he needed some time to recover from injury and properly train.

Also on the Inside MMA show they hinted that Overeem only had one fight left on his contract. But if he won the next fight he would not be under contract for the finals of the Grand Prix. They speculated that Overeem was already asking for a lot more money to sign a new contract.
Yeah. Apparently bruised ribs, broken toes, etc was the other story. I wouldnt' doubt it was a combination of both though. Dana is all about making money.

Overeem did sign to figh in October in Russia I believe so the story is kind of bunk all over

Old
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Yeah. Apparently bruised ribs, broken toes, etc was the other story. I wouldnt' doubt it was a combination of both though. Dana is all about making money.

Overeem did sign to figh in October in Russia I believe so the story is kind of bunk all over
I guess that extra month gives him enough time? Yeah the Russia fight was a natural when he got released. As that Russian card is put on by United Glory. Which as far as I know is owned and run by Overeem's long time fight camp organization called Golden Glory.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:36 PM
frag2

Anyone watch Strikeforce tonight...wow...uh...early stoppage? uh...

Old
07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Anyone watch Strikeforce tonight...wow...uh...early stoppage? uh...

I disagree, I thought the stoppage was justified.

I've seen FAR worse stoppages.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I disagree, I thought the stoppage was justified.

I've seen FAR worse stoppages.
I've seen worse also. I still think it was a little early though. Fedor was probably done but I think after having his lights turned out from the uppercut he seemed to be right back into. I would have liked a couple more seconds to have seen if he could recover.

Fedor's style is one that does not lend itself well to aging at all. He's relied on his speed and chin so much in the past that with his chin a bit weaker and his speed a fraction of a second slower he's getting beat to some of these punches and taking punishment he never did before.

It sucks to see such legends get old but Fedor is clearly passed his prime. He's had too many wars over the years.

On the other side though I'm shocked Hendo is still trucking along. That guy has ridiculous power and a crazy chin. All at the age of 40.

Old
07-31-2011, 12:36 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I've seen worse also. I still think it was a little early though. Fedor was probably done but I think after having his lights turned out from the uppercut he seemed to be right back into. I would have liked a couple more seconds to have seen if he could recover.

Fedor's style is one that does not lend itself well to aging at all. He's relied on his speed and chin so much in the past that with his chin a bit weaker and his speed a fraction of a second slower he's getting beat to some of these punches and taking punishment he never did before.

It sucks to see such legends get old but Fedor is clearly passed his prime. He's had too many wars over the years.

On the other side though I'm shocked Hendo is still trucking along. That guy has ridiculous power and a crazy chin. All at the age of 40.
If Fedor hadn't gone limp and had moved his arms into a position to defend himself I would agree with you. He did not do that at all.

Honestly, if Henderson had just stood up after that uppercut and stopped attacking I would bet good money Fedor would have been laying there prone and out cold.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:22 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

All because Hendo realizes the limits of his body. As much as he says he'd move up weight classes, he knows where his bread and butter is-MW/LHW. Fedor, if he moved down to light heavy, I reckon he'd still have something. Maybe not enough to get past Jones but he'd have some fun. The heavies of this generation>>>the past Heavies in skill and size. Fedor exposed it in the past-ironically, his downfall is because competition is exposing him now.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Spawn

Quote:
All because Hendo realizes the limits of his body. As much as he says he'd move up weight classes, he knows where his bread and butter is-MW/LHW. Fedor, if he moved down to light heavy, I reckon he'd still have something. Maybe not enough to get past Jones but he'd have some fun. The heavies of this generation>>>the past Heavies in skill and size. Fedor exposed it in the past-ironically, his downfall is because competition is exposing him now.
I dunno if it's that his competition is exposing him so much as age/accumulated damage has slowed him down.

Old
07-31-2011, 03:38 AM
Zap Brannigan

You would think that with Fedor's Judo background he would have slowed down a bit to get the position rather then lose his mind and get cold cocked by the sweetest punch in MMA that only a few do. The rocket uppercut under the armpit instead of hammer fists over the shoulders from the turtle. Jose Aldo did it nicely to Gamburyan. Cool stuff

Old
07-31-2011, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

So now that I'm sober and re-watched it did Henderson even get caught or he just kinda piled up?

Wish Hendo would've stayed in the UFC, he is a great fighter and I would've liked to see him go with the Spider again.

Old
07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
You would think that with Fedor's Judo background he would have slowed down a bit to get the position rather then lose his mind and get cold cocked by the sweetest punch in MMA that only a few do. The rocket uppercut under the armpit instead of hammer fists over the shoulders from the turtle. Jose Aldo did it nicely to Gamburyan. Cool stuff
I agree. That's twice now in three fights he has been caught haphazardly chasing an opponent to the ground because he thought he had them hurt. His third loss came from Fedor being man-handled on the ground by Silva, one of the newer, larger (one could say true) heavyweights that are showing up in the division. The fight game is beginning to pass by Fedor.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Oilerdiehard

I like Dana White at times and I don't know what went on behind the scenes. But all the same given how he has acted in the past. These moves come off looking vindictive and petty.

White has fired / booted out Alistair Overeem's brother and all the fighters with Zuffa that belong to the same training camp as Alistair Overeem.

That includes Marloes Coenen who had won all her Strikeforce fights (except against Cyborg in a higher weight class) except the last one where she was submitted in the 4th round to lose her title belt. Pretty harsh you are the champion and then a week later you get released.

The only Golden Glory guy not to be booted out is Kharitonov. But he is currently scheduled to fight in the Heavyweight Grand Prix. Otherwise one would assume he would be gone as well (though I think Kharitonov might be one of those guys that moves around to different fight camps).

Zuffa Releases Marloes Coenen, Valentijn Overeem and Jon Olav Einemo from Team Golden Glory:

http://mmaweekly.com/zuffa-releases-...m-golden-glory

Old
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I like Dana White at times and I don't know what went on behind the scenes. But all the same given how he has acted in the past. These moves come off looking vindictive and petty.

White has fired / booted out Alistair Overeem's brother and all the fighters with Zuffa that belong to the same training camp as Alistair Overeem.

That includes Marloes Coenen who had won all her Strikeforce fights (except against Cyborg in a higher weight class) except the last one where she was submitted in the 4th round to lose her title belt. Pretty harsh you are the champion and then a week later you get released.

The only Golden Glory guy not to be booted out is Kharitonov. But he is currently scheduled to fight in the Heavyweight Grand Prix. Otherwise one would assume he would be gone as well (though I think Kharitonov might be one of those guys that moves around to different fight camps).

Zuffa Releases Marloes Coenen, Valentijn Overeem and Jon Olav Einemo from Team Golden Glory:

http://mmaweekly.com/zuffa-releases-...m-golden-glory

The release of Coenen and Einemo are pretty bush league. Valentijn isn't a loss at all though.

Coenen is one of the best women MMA fighters in the world and Einemo didn't deserve to be released after one fight. Them being golden glory fighters is clearly the only reason they got their walking papers and I'm a bit disgusted at the decision.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
The release of Coenen and Einemo are pretty bush league. Valentijn isn't a loss at all though.

Coenen is one of the best women MMA fighters in the world and Einemo didn't deserve to be released after one fight. Them being golden glory fighters is clearly the only reason they got their walking papers and I'm a bit disgusted at the decision.
Valentijn is not a loss for sure. The fact that all three were punted on the same day though. It makes it pretty obvious that was a vindictive type of move. Which is well within White's rights of course. It is not the way I would like to see people act or very professional.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Valentijn is not a loss for sure. The fact that all three were punted on the same day though. It makes it pretty obvious that was a vindictive type of move. Which is well within White's rights of course. It is not the way I would like to see people act or very professional.
As savvy as White is, he sometimes does boneheaded things when he gets into a spat with someone or an organization...although Golden Glory putting Overeem on a poster after Overeem insisted he was too injured to fight in September also places some of the blame on them.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
joestevens29

Is White just getting away from women in MMA?

Old
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is White just getting away from women in MMA?

that might be a part of it, sure. He doesn't have a high opinion of women's MMA so it probably made cutting Coenen an easy choice in that regard, but I think it has a lot more to do with Golden Glory.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
that might be a part of it, sure. He doesn't have a high opinion of women's MMA so it probably made cutting Coenen an easy choice in that regard, but I think it has a lot more to do with Golden Glory.
Probably, but at this point I don't really see it as huge loses as a whole. Dana will just re-hire the guys when they get better.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Probably, but at this point I don't really see it as huge loses as a whole. Dana will just re-hire the guys when they get better.

in terms of overall value, not a lot was lost, but at the same time (given what we know) 2 out of the 3 fighters hardly deserved to be cut.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
in terms of overall value, not a lot was lost, but at the same time (given what we know) 2 out of the 3 fighters hardly deserved to be cut.
I also think this might be a lesson from Dana to the rest of Strikeforce. He doesn't like to be dicked around and is making that clear to the rest.

Not saying I agree, but not shocked by this.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Zap Brannigan

Zuffa wanted to pay the fighters directly instead of GG and now GG is going to be opening gyms all over north america and starting to promote shows in NA.

Not overly shocking

Old
08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
Zuffa wanted to pay the fighters directly instead of GG and now GG is going to be opening gyms all over north america and starting to promote shows in NA.

Not overly shocking

So in 18 months from now Zuffa will buy them out?

Old
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I also think this might be a lesson from Dana to the rest of Strikeforce. He doesn't like to be dicked around and is making that clear to the rest.

Not saying I agree, but not shocked by this.

I don't agree that it has a lot to do with keeping strikeforce in line as one of the fighters (Einemo) was a UFC fighter. It has everything to do with golden glory.

Closed Thread