HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
As savvy as White is, he sometimes does boneheaded things when he gets into a spat with someone or an organization...although Golden Glory putting Overeem on a poster after Overeem insisted he was too injured to fight in September also places some of the blame on them.
I never seen the poster. As I understand it though Overeem said he could fight closer to the end of the year (as Overeem agreed to fight the last fight with some nagging injuries if he could wait until late in the year to fight again and the UFC said that was okay about fighting at the end of the year, then changed their mind and said you have to fight early September). I know the Strikeforce event is right at the beginning of September. Does anyone know the exact date of the United Glory show? If it is late October then that is what a month and half later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I also think this might be a lesson from Dana to the rest of Strikeforce. He doesn't like to be dicked around and is making that clear to the rest.

Not saying I agree, but not shocked by this.
I am not sure what you mean by this? Outside of Scott Coker (who at the end of the day is a puppet for Zuffa more or less) it is all Zuffa people running everything in Strikeforce now and the fighters know that. They know they are working for Zuffa now and not Strikeforce as such. Plus clearly this was a message to one guy and one fighting camp and not some broad message to all of the Strikeforce fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
Zuffa wanted to pay the fighters directly instead of GG and now GG is going to be opening gyms all over north america and starting to promote shows in NA.

Not overly shocking
Interesting. I had not heard they were going to start gyms and promote shows in the US.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-03-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

just for reference, this is the poster:

Old
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
just for reference, this is the poster:

Thanks. As far as I know this announced after he was released from UFC though. Like I said above I guess it depends on when the show is in October. If it is late October and then that is as much as 5 weeks longer to recover and train then fighting at the start of September. Now if the show was only a couple weeks later then yeah it would definitely seem fishy from Overeem's end of things.

Old
08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Golden Glory is going to try the M1 approach but those co-promo tactics dont work in AMerica, and they will fail which sucks because they produce some really exciting fighters.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Zap Brannigan

The thing with GG is that they're not only a gym that trains fighters they're a management group and fight promoter.

GG has gyms all over Europe and Asia and are now turning to the US. They just opened their first one in California

Old
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
So did Hallman get released? I read that Dana wasn't too happy with his shorts and gave Ebersole a bonus for getting those shorts off tv.

Thought Tito did well against Rashad, although both guys have horrible stamina.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
So did Hallman get released? I read that Dana wasn't too happy with his shorts and gave Ebersole a bonus for getting those shorts off tv.

Thought Tito did well against Rashad, although both guys have horrible stamina.
as far as I know no one's been released since UFC 133 finished, although I suspect that Hallman will never be able to wear those again.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 3999
Couple things:

Rory Macdonald is going to shake up the welterweight division, kids a beast

Where was that Vitor when he fought Silva?

And if I didn't hate Ochocinco enough...he calls out GSP (not having a clue who he is), and then after says he wouldn't lose to a ********** Canadian. Dana White's response to it is quite humerous. Check it out on the newest UFC Connected.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Couple things:

Rory Macdonald is going to shake up the welterweight division, kids a beast

Where was that Vitor when he fought Silva?

And if I didn't hate Ochocinco enough...he calls out GSP (not having a clue who he is), and then after says he wouldn't lose to a ********** Canadian. Dana White's response to it is quite humerous. Check it out on the newest UFC Connected.
Honestly I thought Akiyama was a horrible choice for a matchup. The guy was on a two fight losing streak and is horrible at standup. Wasn't suprised by the outcome.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
joestevens29

Anyone know much about MMA Fight Pit that is a PPV this Saturday?

Not a bad card, but I don't know that I would want to spend much more than 15-20 bucks on it.

MAIN CARD

* Houston Alexander vs. Razak Al-Hassan
* Jens Pulver vs. Coty Wheeler
* Junie Browning vs. Jacob Clark
* Jamie Yager vs. Willie Parks
* Tyler East vs. Chris Guillen
* Angelica Chavez vs. Diana Rael

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Conrad Padilla vs. Guy Youell
* Josh Montoya vs. Jason Sampson
* Ali Hanjani vs. Sean Spencer
* Rocky Ramirez vs. Mark Lujan

Old
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anyone know much about MMA Fight Pit that is a PPV this Saturday?

Not a bad card, but I don't know that I would want to spend much more than 15-20 bucks on it.

MAIN CARD

* Houston Alexander vs. Razak Al-Hassan
* Jens Pulver vs. Coty Wheeler
* Junie Browning vs. Jacob Clark
* Jamie Yager vs. Willie Parks
* Tyler East vs. Chris Guillen
* Angelica Chavez vs. Diana Rael

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Conrad Padilla vs. Guy Youell
* Josh Montoya vs. Jason Sampson
* Ali Hanjani vs. Sean Spencer
* Rocky Ramirez vs. Mark Lujan
I'm not sure if I have seen Razak fight since he let that dude snap his arm a couple of years ago. But his standup isn't that crisp, but then again, Houston is like a fish out of water on the ground. Depending on how fast Razak can get it to the ground determines the fight, because he can't take one of Houston's punches.

Jens has been looking a bit better lately, but he still can't defend a choke to save his life, he'll probably lose again. I could have swore Cameron Dollar was supposed to be on this card too though.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
joestevens29

I forgot this weekend is Kimbo Slice's boxing debut. I have a lot of respect for the guy. He is risking a ton of money by getting into the ring with a 0-1 boxer. Probably could've went with the gimmick route and had a career in WWE.

Old
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
joestevens29

Well I was out last night so I missed Chris Lytle's final fight. Quite a finish for him as he won a Harley and had 2 of the 3 65k bonuses.

Watched Kimbo's boxing match yesterday morning. Pretty much back to his brawling ways and once he fights a boxer he will then be tested.

Old
08-15-2011, 09:57 AM
joestevens29

Wow just read a story that Shawn Tompkins had died at 37. Sam Stout, Chris Horodecki, Mark Hominick are a few Canadians he worked with and he recently was helping out Xtreme couture as a striking coach.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
PepsiFiend

The WEC boys are sure ripping it up... Henderson is an extremely tough fight for anyone right now in the 155... Nice to see Lytle choke out Hardy.

Old
08-15-2011, 11:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
The WEC boys are sure ripping it up... Henderson is an extremely tough fight for anyone right now in the 155... Nice to see Lytle choke out Hardy.
4 straight loses for Hardy, I wonder if he gets his walking papers.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:28 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
UFC sign deal with Fox, 4 events per year plus programming that was on spike and vs will now be on fox starting Jan 2012. this is huge for the sport, filling a primetime slot on a major cable network is huge. could be the start of no more ppv's

Also Overeem and UFC in talks for REem to have an UFC only contract. this is leading me to believe that golden glory had a deal with shotime or cbs similar to fedor where they controlled when they fought. fire everyone from golden glory, contract with strikeforce are void, rehire 2 weeks later to the ufc. it is definetly something behind the scenes, because dana doesnt switch a firm stance that quickly imo

edit the fox deal is worth 90M per year so that leads me to believe that they will be real cards not that crap they try to pawn off on the british fans, with cans and more cans

Old
08-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Wow just read a story that Shawn Tompkins had died at 37. Sam Stout, Chris Horodecki, Mark Hominick are a few Canadians he worked with and he recently was helping out Xtreme couture as a striking coach.
Yeah that news shocked me when they said that on the UFC Live show the other night.

I had an image from a few weeks back at Bellator where his fighter won and he was all pumped up and jumping up in the air cheering. One of the best striking coaches in MMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
UFC sign deal with Fox, 4 events per year plus programming that was on spike and vs will now be on fox starting Jan 2012. this is huge for the sport, filling a primetime slot on a major cable network is huge. could be the start of no more ppv's
No more PPVs, I have no idea what you are talking about? If they were not apparently maxed out (according to Dana White they have the max a year that pay per view will allow) I would guess there would be more PPVs than there already is. Do not forget both Elite XC and Strikeforce did cards on CBS in prime time. So this is nothing new (MMA on a major network) as far as that goes.

So instead of all the Fight Night events, troops event, UFC Lives on Versus plus they put the odd UFC main event when it was on over in Europe now and then. All of that is reduced to just 4 cards a year tv basically?

Found a schedule on some site and I counted 8 events this year between Versus and Spike. So I guess that gets cut in half now.

Seems like they have been adding a ton of fighters the last few years. I would have almost expected more events, not less on tv as we go along. The 8 events above does not even count the fact that when WEC was folded we lost those events on tv as well.

At least The Ultimate Fighter show is sticking around. That is good to hear.

On a side note. Ben Henderson looked absolutely awesome the other night.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-17-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

Also Overeem and UFC in talks for REem to have an UFC only contract. this is leading me to believe that golden glory had a deal with shotime or cbs similar to fedor where they controlled when they fought. fire everyone from golden glory, contract with strikeforce are void, rehire 2 weeks later to the ufc. it is definetly something behind the scenes, because dana doesnt switch a firm stance that quickly imo

edit the fox deal is worth 90M per year so that leads me to believe that they will be real cards not that crap they try to pawn off on the british fans, with cans and more cans
90m? Weren't they looking for substantially more liked 200mil or something? I really like Spike, but in the end this is better for the sport.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
90m? Weren't they looking for substantially more liked 200mil or something? I really like Spike, but in the end this is better for the sport.
Yeah that was my thought as well. UFC was reportedly demanding 2-300 million from Spike tv to keep all the programing.

Well if you have enough money to order lots of PPVs then it is better I suppose. Otherwise you get less UFC events on tv. It will be interesting to see if their PPV buys increase significantly or not. I mean the UFC is already known far and wide and those events were not hard to find on tv. Not sure being on Fox is going to take them to another level, but it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

I guess at least less UFC on tv might leave a niche open for smaller organizations to get on tv more and get better ratings (I know the last Bellator already had apparently close to record ratings for the show). I know I will be searching stuff out.

In fact I just recently realized Fuel tv is showing Legend Fighting Championship events, which is from China. Lots of Chinese, Korean fighters and a number of Australians as well and I think a fighter or two from the Phillipines, Indonesia etc...

Surprisingly the two shows I have watched of it were really good and entertaining. Some fighters so far that have already impressed me are Rod McSwain (new Welterweight champ), Kim Hoon, Jo Nam Jin (does crazy antics in the ring - was given a yellow card and made ref mad last show for dancing in the middle of the fight), Li Jingliang and Sung Ming-Yen etc...

Not sure if it is because they do not worry about getting cut like in the UFC. But man they really go for it at all times and are not trying to grind out tentative safe wins. It was quite entertaining IMO.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Muad'Dib

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24868/tuf-...n-15-on-fx.mma

The Ultimate Fighter Season 15 will be going "live" when it debuts on FX.

Quote:
The show's fights will now air live each week, as opposed to pre-taped and aired over the course of a 12-week season, FOX and UFC officials said today during a press conference in Los Angeles.

A two-hour live season premiere will feature the reality show tournament's elimination round. As with previous seasons of "TUF," 32 fighters will square off for the right to remain on the show, and coaches will select teams from the 16 remaining fighters.

But unlike the show's previous incarnation, the audience at home will have a say in who fights who, texting in their votes "American Idol" style. Following each fight, a new vote is put up.

As before, the lead-up to the live fight will serve as a behind-the-scenes look at the contestants' lives in the fighter house.
Sounds a bit like American Idol/Big Brother: MMA Edition

Old
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
joestevens29

So if it's live I'd assume they will now be actual fights and not exhibitions?

Old
08-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post

I assume that means only the fights themselves will be live? Otherwise this could start getting really contrived and super cheesy. Like setting up situations so we get to see something interesting happen live. It sounds like from that last part that it will only be the fights live, so unless I misunderstand that part, thank goodness for that.

Personally I would rather the coaches pick the fights than the fans and voting and crap. We do not get to see their strengths and weaknesses in detail in training etc... Plus I could see fans like American Idol attempting to get the fighters that are most flashy or goofy away from the cage getting the easiest possible fights and things like that and it becomes a popularity reality game show.

I will hope for the best as I am a big fan of the show. But this sounds like it has the potential to mess up the show. I think ratings have been fluctuating and stuff recently has it not?

Maybe this is Fox's idea to boost ratings? How long before we vote to see which fighter gets to watch a private screening of a movie or a phone call from home?

Old
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I assume that means only the fights themselves will be live? Otherwise this could start getting really contrived and super cheesy. Like setting up situations so we get to see something interesting happen live. It sounds like from that last part that it will only be the fights live, so unless I misunderstand that part, thank goodness for that.

Personally I would rather the coaches pick the fights than the fans and voting and crap. We do not get to see their strengths and weaknesses in detail in training etc... Plus I could see fans like American Idol attempting to get the fighters that are most flashy or goofy away from the cage getting the easiest possible fights and things like that and it becomes a popularity reality game show.

I will hope for the best as I am a big fan of the show. But this sounds like it has the potential to mess up the show. I think ratings have been fluctuating and stuff recently has it not?

Maybe this is Fox's idea to boost ratings? How long before we vote to see which fighter gets to watch a private screening of a movie or a phone call from home?
The one thing you have to remember is Dana will stop anything that becomes too much of a gimmick. So for that reason alone I don't think we have to worry too much. He may allow something to happen once to see how it goes, but if the true fight fans don't like it he'll pull it.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post

Sounds more like The Running Man.

Pretty soon we will get to text on whether the loser lives or dies.

Closed Thread