HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2011, 05:10 PM
  #451
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The one thing you have to remember is Dana will stop anything that becomes too much of a gimmick. So for that reason alone I don't think we have to worry too much. He may allow something to happen once to see how it goes, but if the true fight fans don't like it he'll pull it.
Yeah that is true and I hope / think you are right. Though at the same time to be honest I never would have thought he would not let something even get this far with fan vote ins and stuff. As I said I am hoping for the best. If only the actual fights are live, that could actually be a good thing, we will probably hear more of the coaches advice and things in between rounds and non-edited reactions to results of the fights.


Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sounds more like The Running Man.

Pretty soon we will get to text on whether the loser lives or dies.
Yeah when I first read that I had visions of the fans voting whether or not a fighter has to eat slop for the week or train on their own for a week without coaches/teammates or the loser of the popularity vote gets to ride bike for an hour after his teammates finish practice and head back to the house.

I wonder with wild card guys returning if the fans vote who gets to come back. After watching sobbing videos of each fighter pleading their case to America.

I am sure none of it will get that bad. But it seems like once you start down that path it can be a slippery slope pretty quickly. Well we did that and it went over okay, so let's take it one step further...


Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
  #452
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
The new deal with fox could be a real breakthrough for the UFC and the sport of MMA overall. I like the idea of having 'live fights', because if you engage the audience, it gives them incentive to watch. That's always the big problem that the UFC has with getting the maximum number of PPV buys every show...if the fighters don't give people incentive, they won't shell out 50+ dollars to watch.

the biggest problem is is that most fans are idiots and will probably choose a bunch of bad fights.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
  #453
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Interesting I read also that Spike TV is in negotiations to take Bellator Fighting Championships away from MTV2.

I have been pretty impressed with what Bellator has been doing lately. They really deliver a lot of events on tv as well which I love. Though I guess it does not matter much to most whether it is on MTV2 or Spike. I suppose Spike has more history with promoting MMA programming though.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
  #454
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Interesting I read also that Spike TV is in negotiations to take Bellator Fighting Championships away from MTV2.

I have been pretty impressed with what Bellator has been doing lately. They really deliver a lot of events on tv as well which I love. Though I guess it does not matter much to most whether it is on MTV2 or Spike. I suppose Spike has more history with promoting MMA programming though.
I was going to ask if Spike would consider getting another organization under their belt.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
  #455
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Interesting I read also that Spike TV is in negotiations to take Bellator Fighting Championships away from MTV2.

I have been pretty impressed with what Bellator has been doing lately. They really deliver a lot of events on tv as well which I love. Though I guess it does not matter much to most whether it is on MTV2 or Spike. I suppose Spike has more history with promoting MMA programming though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I was going to ask if Spike would consider getting another organization under their belt.
Spike TV is owned by the MTV network, so moving Bellator over to Spike TV from MTV 2 would be, hypothetically, easy as pie. I remember reading some speculation that the move of Bellator to MTV 2 was so that Spike TV could take over if the UFC bolted.

I'm a big booster of Bellator mainly because their format is very unique. The tournament format is great and it allows people to "follow" the progress of the fighters. Their light-heavyweight tourney final was pretty incredible and their summer series featherweight tournament was consistently entertaining. They have a lot of good fighters who, while not household names, know how to put on a show. I think Strikeforce is going to die a pretty brutal death at the end of the year and Bellator is primed to step up and fill the void.

The biggest knock on them is that they're currently on Saturday, which directly competes with the UFC and if I have to choose I default to the UFC broadcast. They really should look at broadcasting on friday OR in the afternoon. Maybe they'll think they can get people to watch who don't want to pay for the UFC ppv, but I'd like to see them try and capture a bigger audience, not just try and mop up the UFC's scraps.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
  #456
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Spike TV is owned by the MTV network, so moving Bellator over to Spike TV from MTV 2 would be, hypothetically, easy as pie. I remember reading some speculation that the move of Bellator to MTV 2 was so that Spike TV could take over if the UFC bolted.

I'm a big booster of Bellator mainly because their format is very unique. The tournament format is great and it allows people to "follow" the progress of the fighters. Their light-heavyweight tourney final was pretty incredible and their summer series featherweight tournament was consistently entertaining. They have a lot of good fighters who, while not household names, know how to put on a show. I think Strikeforce is going to die a pretty brutal death at the end of the year and Bellator is primed to step up and fill the void.

The biggest knock on them is that they're currently on Saturday, which directly competes with the UFC and if I have to choose I default to the UFC broadcast. They really should look at broadcasting on friday OR in the afternoon. Maybe they'll think they can get people to watch who don't want to pay for the UFC ppv, but I'd like to see them try and capture a bigger audience, not just try and mop up the UFC's scraps.
Couldn't they just air on non-UFC Saturdays?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 09:54 AM
  #457
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Couldn't they just air on non-UFC Saturdays?

They could do that, but at times they seem content with going head to head with the UFC PPVs, so it might just be easier for them to select a different day.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
  #458
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
They could do that, but at times they seem content with going head to head with the UFC PPVs, so it might just be easier for them to select a different day.
How about a Thursday night?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
  #459
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How about a Thursday night?

the only problem with thursday would be convincing people to go to an MMA event on a thursday. Not that it isn't doable but I'm not sure how big a draw a thursday would be.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
  #460
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
I am happy to start hearing that there may be UFC events on the FX channel as well.

With the original press release it sounded like there would be 4 events on the Fox channel proper and that would be it as far as non-Ultimate Fighter related events on tv.

I am hearing up to 6 UFC Fight Night events on FX.

That makes me a lot happier about this move. It originally appeared the cards on tv would be cut in half from the previous amount. Now it looks like it will stay about the same.


Edit - Forgot to mention that Fox also owns the Fueltv channel and UFC Prelims Live will be on that channel, as well as the UFC Unleashed show.


Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
  #461
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Read something that there really is no plans to move from MTV2 to Spike.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 02:54 PM
  #462
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Read something that there really is no plans to move from MTV2 to Spike.
That is fine for me. Either channel are easy to find and are included in most cable systems, at least here in the US. The only advantage is Spike is probably more experienced and better suited to promote Bellator.

I wondered if MTV might want to keep Bellator though. Apparently their last event around a month ago had close to record ratings for the show and was strong for the time slot overall.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
08-20-2011, 02:35 PM
  #463
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
He is now set to fight UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock, in a special rules bout, in which there will be 8 three minute rounds instead of the traditional 3 five minute rounds. There will also be a '30 second stand-up rule' which means if the fight goes to the ground, after 30 seconds the referee will stand up the fighters. The time will be held if a submission hold is in place, and it will continue if the hold is broken or released. Despite these new rules giving Toney more of an advantage, it was Ken Shamrock who suggested it, saying it will make the fight more fun to watch

I don't know how I missed this, but what a joke.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
  #464
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Is this Saturday's fight on at it's regular time?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  #465
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,169
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is this Saturday's fight on at it's regular time?
Looks like it, the UFC website says 6PM/9PM ETPT
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC134

7:00 Mountain, I prefer the fights at 8, but what are you gonna do eh?

Puritania is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 03:54 PM
  #466
Oilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
As a casual MMA fan, I like Griffen, so does he stand a chance in this fight?

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
  #467
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Looks like it, the UFC website says 6PM/9PM ETPT
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC134

7:00 Mountain, I prefer the fights at 8, but what are you gonna do eh?
7 is the new time for the past few months. I just wasn't sure there was a time zone issue thing.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
  #468
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
As a casual MMA fan, I like Griffen, so does he stand a chance in this fight?
I wouldn't bet on it, but it's the UFC and anything can happen.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 04:28 PM
  #469
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wouldn't bet on it, but it's the UFC and anything can happen.
This is a lie. After seeing the odds I'd probably throw a small bet on Griffin.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 11:53 PM
  #470
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Griffin's my pick for an upset, but I don't know if Shaub beating Big Nog would be an upset at this point in their careers, other than Nog's impressive legacy.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-26-2011, 12:14 AM
  #471
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,617
vCash: 50
The smart underdog pick would be Okami.

Griffin is finished.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
08-26-2011, 12:47 AM
  #472
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The smart underdog pick would be Okami.

Griffin is finished.
Shogun is so bi-polar though. I could see Forrest pulling out a win in this fight for sure.

I'm not sure Okami is a good enough wrestler to keep Silva on his back for 5 rounds. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets caught and put away.

Spawn is offline  
Old
08-26-2011, 12:55 AM
  #473
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The smart underdog pick would be Okami.

Griffin is finished.
Griffin's attitude is a worry, but Rua is so up and down health-wise that I still believe griffin's got a good shot at winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Shogun is so bi-polar though. I could see Forrest pulling out a win in this fight for sure.

I'm not sure Okami is a good enough wrestler to keep Silva on his back for 5 rounds. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets caught and put away.
I think Okami's building a gameplan around his strengths...size, wrestling and grappling (I think training with Sonnen is going to payoff a lot in terms of gameplanning), but I won't bet against Silva in any fight. Silva loves using his range but his clinchwork is incedible too, and if Okami can't take him down quickly and gets stuck in the clinch...well, I think Okami's going to have his liver and kidneys caved in.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
  #474
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,617
vCash: 50
The blueprint has been laid as to how to beat Silva.

Okami has very good wrestling. Good enough to put Silva on his back.

He's already done it in their first fight. And he has improved greatly since.

His standup is greatly improved too.

Plus he is a 6-1 dog. Those are pretty sweet odds.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
08-26-2011, 01:10 AM
  #475
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The blueprint has been laid as to how to beat Silva.

Okami has very good wrestling. Good enough to put Silva on his back.

He's already done it in their first fight. And he has improved greatly since.

His standup is greatly improved too.

Plus he is a 6-1 dog. Those are pretty sweet odds.
The odds ARE attractive no doubt about it, and Okami is built to cause Silva problems...but perhaps I just don't have the stones to bet against Silva.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.