HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The one thing you have to remember is Dana will stop anything that becomes too much of a gimmick. So for that reason alone I don't think we have to worry too much. He may allow something to happen once to see how it goes, but if the true fight fans don't like it he'll pull it.
Yeah that is true and I hope / think you are right. Though at the same time to be honest I never would have thought he would not let something even get this far with fan vote ins and stuff. As I said I am hoping for the best. If only the actual fights are live, that could actually be a good thing, we will probably hear more of the coaches advice and things in between rounds and non-edited reactions to results of the fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sounds more like The Running Man.

Pretty soon we will get to text on whether the loser lives or dies.
Yeah when I first read that I had visions of the fans voting whether or not a fighter has to eat slop for the week or train on their own for a week without coaches/teammates or the loser of the popularity vote gets to ride bike for an hour after his teammates finish practice and head back to the house.

I wonder with wild card guys returning if the fans vote who gets to come back. After watching sobbing videos of each fighter pleading their case to America.

I am sure none of it will get that bad. But it seems like once you start down that path it can be a slippery slope pretty quickly. Well we did that and it went over okay, so let's take it one step further...

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

The new deal with fox could be a real breakthrough for the UFC and the sport of MMA overall. I like the idea of having 'live fights', because if you engage the audience, it gives them incentive to watch. That's always the big problem that the UFC has with getting the maximum number of PPV buys every show...if the fighters don't give people incentive, they won't shell out 50+ dollars to watch.

the biggest problem is is that most fans are idiots and will probably choose a bunch of bad fights.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Interesting I read also that Spike TV is in negotiations to take Bellator Fighting Championships away from MTV2.

I have been pretty impressed with what Bellator has been doing lately. They really deliver a lot of events on tv as well which I love. Though I guess it does not matter much to most whether it is on MTV2 or Spike. I suppose Spike has more history with promoting MMA programming though.

Old
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Interesting I read also that Spike TV is in negotiations to take Bellator Fighting Championships away from MTV2.

I have been pretty impressed with what Bellator has been doing lately. They really deliver a lot of events on tv as well which I love. Though I guess it does not matter much to most whether it is on MTV2 or Spike. I suppose Spike has more history with promoting MMA programming though.
I was going to ask if Spike would consider getting another organization under their belt.

Old
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

Quote:
I was going to ask if Spike would consider getting another organization under their belt.
Spike TV is owned by the MTV network, so moving Bellator over to Spike TV from MTV 2 would be, hypothetically, easy as pie. I remember reading some speculation that the move of Bellator to MTV 2 was so that Spike TV could take over if the UFC bolted.

I'm a big booster of Bellator mainly because their format is very unique. The tournament format is great and it allows people to "follow" the progress of the fighters. Their light-heavyweight tourney final was pretty incredible and their summer series featherweight tournament was consistently entertaining. They have a lot of good fighters who, while not household names, know how to put on a show. I think Strikeforce is going to die a pretty brutal death at the end of the year and Bellator is primed to step up and fill the void.

The biggest knock on them is that they're currently on Saturday, which directly competes with the UFC and if I have to choose I default to the UFC broadcast. They really should look at broadcasting on friday OR in the afternoon. Maybe they'll think they can get people to watch who don't want to pay for the UFC ppv, but I'd like to see them try and capture a bigger audience, not just try and mop up the UFC's scraps.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Spike TV is owned by the MTV network, so moving Bellator over to Spike TV from MTV 2 would be, hypothetically, easy as pie. I remember reading some speculation that the move of Bellator to MTV 2 was so that Spike TV could take over if the UFC bolted.

I'm a big booster of Bellator mainly because their format is very unique. The tournament format is great and it allows people to "follow" the progress of the fighters. Their light-heavyweight tourney final was pretty incredible and their summer series featherweight tournament was consistently entertaining. They have a lot of good fighters who, while not household names, know how to put on a show. I think Strikeforce is going to die a pretty brutal death at the end of the year and Bellator is primed to step up and fill the void.

The biggest knock on them is that they're currently on Saturday, which directly competes with the UFC and if I have to choose I default to the UFC broadcast. They really should look at broadcasting on friday OR in the afternoon. Maybe they'll think they can get people to watch who don't want to pay for the UFC ppv, but I'd like to see them try and capture a bigger audience, not just try and mop up the UFC's scraps.
Couldn't they just air on non-UFC Saturdays?

Old
08-19-2011, 09:54 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Couldn't they just air on non-UFC Saturdays?

They could do that, but at times they seem content with going head to head with the UFC PPVs, so it might just be easier for them to select a different day.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
They could do that, but at times they seem content with going head to head with the UFC PPVs, so it might just be easier for them to select a different day.
How about a Thursday night?

Old
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
How about a Thursday night?

the only problem with thursday would be convincing people to go to an MMA event on a thursday. Not that it isn't doable but I'm not sure how big a draw a thursday would be.

Old
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

I am happy to start hearing that there may be UFC events on the FX channel as well.

With the original press release it sounded like there would be 4 events on the Fox channel proper and that would be it as far as non-Ultimate Fighter related events on tv.

I am hearing up to 6 UFC Fight Night events on FX.

That makes me a lot happier about this move. It originally appeared the cards on tv would be cut in half from the previous amount. Now it looks like it will stay about the same.

Edit - Forgot to mention that Fox also owns the Fueltv channel and UFC Prelims Live will be on that channel, as well as the UFC Unleashed show.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

Read something that there really is no plans to move from MTV2 to Spike.

Old
08-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Read something that there really is no plans to move from MTV2 to Spike.
That is fine for me. Either channel are easy to find and are included in most cable systems, at least here in the US. The only advantage is Spike is probably more experienced and better suited to promote Bellator.

I wondered if MTV might want to keep Bellator though. Apparently their last event around a month ago had close to record ratings for the show and was strong for the time slot overall.

Old
08-20-2011, 02:35 PM
joestevens29

He is now set to fight UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock, in a special rules bout, in which there will be 8 three minute rounds instead of the traditional 3 five minute rounds. There will also be a '30 second stand-up rule' which means if the fight goes to the ground, after 30 seconds the referee will stand up the fighters. The time will be held if a submission hold is in place, and it will continue if the hold is broken or released. Despite these new rules giving Toney more of an advantage, it was Ken Shamrock who suggested it, saying it will make the fight more fun to watch

I don't know how I missed this, but what a joke.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

Is this Saturday's fight on at it's regular time?

Old
08-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Is this Saturday's fight on at it's regular time?
Looks like it, the UFC website says 6PM/9PM ETPT
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC134

7:00 Mountain, I prefer the fights at 8, but what are you gonna do eh?

Old
08-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

As a casual MMA fan, I like Griffen, so does he stand a chance in this fight?

08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Looks like it, the UFC website says 6PM/9PM ETPT
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC134

7:00 Mountain, I prefer the fights at 8, but what are you gonna do eh?
7 is the new time for the past few months. I just wasn't sure there was a time zone issue thing.

Old
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
As a casual MMA fan, I like Griffen, so does he stand a chance in this fight?
I wouldn't bet on it, but it's the UFC and anything can happen.

Old
08-25-2011, 04:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it, but it's the UFC and anything can happen.
This is a lie. After seeing the odds I'd probably throw a small bet on Griffin.

Old
08-25-2011, 11:53 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Griffin's my pick for an upset, but I don't know if Shaub beating Big Nog would be an upset at this point in their careers, other than Nog's impressive legacy.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I am the Liquor

The smart underdog pick would be Okami.

Griffin is finished.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Spawn

Quote:

Griffin is finished.
Shogun is so bi-polar though. I could see Forrest pulling out a win in this fight for sure.

I'm not sure Okami is a good enough wrestler to keep Silva on his back for 5 rounds. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets caught and put away.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:55 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

Griffin is finished.
Griffin's attitude is a worry, but Rua is so up and down health-wise that I still believe griffin's got a good shot at winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Shogun is so bi-polar though. I could see Forrest pulling out a win in this fight for sure.

I'm not sure Okami is a good enough wrestler to keep Silva on his back for 5 rounds. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets caught and put away.
I think Okami's building a gameplan around his strengths...size, wrestling and grappling (I think training with Sonnen is going to payoff a lot in terms of gameplanning), but I won't bet against Silva in any fight. Silva loves using his range but his clinchwork is incedible too, and if Okami can't take him down quickly and gets stuck in the clinch...well, I think Okami's going to have his liver and kidneys caved in.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
I am the Liquor

The blueprint has been laid as to how to beat Silva.

Okami has very good wrestling. Good enough to put Silva on his back.

He's already done it in their first fight. And he has improved greatly since.

His standup is greatly improved too.

Plus he is a 6-1 dog. Those are pretty sweet odds.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:10 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
The blueprint has been laid as to how to beat Silva.

Okami has very good wrestling. Good enough to put Silva on his back.

He's already done it in their first fight. And he has improved greatly since.

His standup is greatly improved too.

Plus he is a 6-1 dog. Those are pretty sweet odds.
The odds ARE attractive no doubt about it, and Okami is built to cause Silva problems...but perhaps I just don't have the stones to bet against Silva.

Closed Thread