HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The blueprint has been laid as to how to beat Silva.

Okami has very good wrestling. Good enough to put Silva on his back.

He's already done it in their first fight. And he has improved greatly since.

His standup is greatly improved too.

Plus he is a 6-1 dog. Those are pretty sweet odds.
He was like 1 for 4 in take down attempts in his first fight with Silva. Lets not pretend like he had dominant top control before Silva kicked him in the head for the DQ loss.

Okami's takedowns are most definitely not as good as Sonnen's. Not even close.

He went 1 for 9 in takedown attempts vs Marquardt.

I think he might be able to get Silva down a few times in the fight but I don't think he can do any damage from the top.

I think a 2nd Griffin win is much more likely than a 2nd Okami win.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
7 is the new time for the past few months. I just wasn't sure there was a time zone issue thing.
Yeah, I knew that's what you meant, was just commenting on the fact that I prefer fights at 8pm.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Yeah, I knew that's what you meant, was just commenting on the fact that I prefer fights at 8pm.
I like the new time. By the time the main events come on I was usually drunk and would have to re-watch the fights.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Ckpon

Yeha, the new time is pretty good. I mean ppv ends by 10pm or so and then I can bar hop after watching the ppv.

But really, UFC did it so it was more viewer friendly on the east coast and they didn't have to stay up past midnight-1am to watch the main event. As the PPV on the East coast before wouldn't start till 11pm-midnight lol

Excited for this card and the upcoming cards on deck for the UFC.

I think Silva will beat Okami. Rationale, he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world. I think he will come in looking to make a statement not only avenging his DQ loss but to Chael Sonnen who has talked alot of smack. Plus, being in Brazil isn't like being in Abu Dhabi or Montreal. He wants to put on a show in his home country.

Griffin vs Shogun - its a mixed bag. I read the reports of how Forrest is in this only for the money etc but I think he's down playing the situation. He's always come to fights for the most part prepared and if he can whether the early storm that I think Shogun will go for he might be able to grind out the win. My only concerns are the various reports that Shogun may have tweaked his knee earlier last week and with injuries and questions of cardio I wonder if he is ready to bounce back. This is an important fight for Shogun because he's never been dominated like he was against Jon Jones so hopefully he's mentally strong to come back.

Pick: I like Griffin for the upset.

Schaub vs Nog - Schaub is the young up and comer and Nog is the veteran with a lot of mileage on him. But this will be my Tito Ortiz pick. I just think his submission skills and BJJ will be what could separate this fight. Now if it stays standing up maybe it will be lights out for Nog as it was for Cro-cop. But with a over year layoff from injury and fighting in Brazil I think Nog will be more than amp'd for this fight..

I call Nog via submission victory.

-----------------------------------

Fox Deal for UFC is awesome. I think this will definitely add to the growth of MMA and the UFC brand. November's debut on UFC Nov.12.2011 will be something I am looking forward to. In my opinion they are looking to set up a big main event for the first card and perhaps make it stacked. Some fighters are looking for match ups and don't have fights as of yet.

Guys like Lyoto Machida, Dan Henderson, Phil Davis (should recover from injury), Brock Lesnar (if they wanted to go BIG or if he could train and get healthy in time) .. ------------------------------

Anyhow, just thought I would add to the thread. Of course these are only my opinions and feel free to debate etc. Seeing the sport live is amazing. My first UFC event was UFC 84 Ill Will in vegas and man nothing like it.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Oilerdiehard

Anyone see InsideMMA on HDNet tonight?

They had a guy on that had most of the skinny on the UFC / Fox deal.

First off the 4 shows that UFC will have on the big Fox channel will be allowed to be only 1 hour long.

So that will be two 3 round fights for those 4 events during the year on the big Fox channel. So no five title fights for those short shows.

Fox will now be in control of all production and everything with The Ultimate Fighter. So apparently Dana did give up some of that control that he has been refusing in the past give up to HBO and others. He keeps control of the events on Fox and FX, but the trade off was to give up control on TUF.

Found some of that stuff interesting. I had not heard those details previously.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Where was Joe tonight?

Brazil cleans up. Okami is a joke, right up there with Damian Maia. Schaub gets KO'd, Griffin gets KO'd.

Lots of good fights coming up in the next few months. Love the UFC.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Where was Joe tonight?

Brazil cleans up. Okami is a joke, right up there with Damian Maia. Schaub gets KO'd, Griffin gets KO'd.

Lots of good fights coming up in the next few months. Love the UFC.
Joe was in the same place as he is when UFC is in Canada...safely in the USA - the only country he is allowed to travel in!!

Sheesh, glad I didn't pay for this card tonite. I agree, there are some great cards coming up.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Joe was in the same place as he is when UFC is in Canada...safely in the USA - the only country he is allowed to travel in!!

Sheesh, glad I didn't pay for this card tonite. I agree, there are some great cards coming up.
Joe Rogan was filming Fear Factor tonight.

He's always at all the events, regardless of country. Whether that be Canada, USA, or over in Europe.

Okami looked good in the first round. Some nice dirty boxing in the clinch work but then in the 2nd round Silva decided to show up.

The guy is seriously unreal. Good luck Chael when you get another shot but I wouldn't count on Silva having injured ribs again.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:10 AM
OilDrop37

Chael better focus on Brian Stann. If that fight is fought on it's feet, Chael will get slaughtered. On the ground, I give the nod to Sonnen.

I'm sure Joe was in Toronto for GSP's fight. (to the other poster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Joe Rogan was filming Fear Factor tonight.

He's always at all the events, regardless of country. Whether that be Canada, USA, or over in Europe.

Okami looked good in the first round. Some nice dirty boxing in the clinch work but then in the 2nd round Silva decided to show up.

The guy is seriously unreal. Good luck Chael when you get another shot but I wouldn't count on Silva having injured ribs again.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:22 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Chael better focus on Brian Stann. If that fight is fought on it's feet, Chael will get slaughtered. On the ground, I give the nod to Sonnen.

I'm sure Joe was in Toronto for GSP's fight. (to the other poster)
It was a joke to past comments about Rogan's love of the ganja that resulted in speculation that he was not allowed into Canada for the Montreal event. I apologize for failing to follow my comment with a smiley face.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:42 AM
OilDrop37

Haha, all's forgiven. I missed Joe tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
It was a joke to past comments about Rogan's love of the ganja that resulted in speculation that he was not allowed into Canada for the Montreal event. I apologize for failing to follow my comment with a smiley face.

Old
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Hoogaar23

I know some people don't like him, but you realize how good he is when he's not there. Florian did a great job of making Rogan look like the pro that he is.

And Silva - wow. Ridiculous jabs. It's like he sees everything in slow motion. I'm a big GSP fan, but I don't think he stands much of a chance against Anderson if that fight ever happens.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I know some people don't like him, but you realize how good he is when he's not there. Florian did a great job of making Rogan look like the pro that he is.
Yeah not sure what those people are thinking Joe Rogan is awesome. He really makes the shows better.

On a side note I did not watch the Spike Prelims until today. Great fight between Palhares and Dan Miller. Crazy first round. Palhares knocks Miller down, then starts raining punches. He somehow thinks Herb Dean is going to stop the fight right there, so he walks away celebrating and jumps on top of the cage celebrating.

Herb Dean gets him down and tells him he did not stop the fight so keep fighting. Then Miller immediately after the re-start nails Palhares with a punch and gives Palhares a flash knock out, but he managed to recover before the fight could be stopped. He went on to win but wild round and good overall fight, great heart from Miller.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-28-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah not sure what those people are thinking Joe Rogan is awesome. He really makes the shows better.

On a side note I did not watch the Spike Prelims until today. Great fight between Palhares and Dan Miller. Crazy first round. Palhares knocks Miller down, then starts raining punches. He somehow thinks Herb Dean is going to stop the fight right there, so he walks away celebrating and jumps on top of the cage celebrating.

Herb Dean gets him down and tells him he did not stop the fight so keep fighting. Then Miller immediately after the re-start nails Palhares with a punch and gives Palhares a flash knock out, but he managed to recover before the fight could be stopped. He went on to win but wild round and good overall fight, great heart from Miller.
Two pretty savage beat downs for the Miller brothers back to back recently.

Paul Harris is a nasty fighter. He's a mini hulk out there. I realize Palhares' striking is not anywhere close to Anderson Silva level (like not even close) but I'd love to see him if he could get it to the ground.

He's clearly not there yet, but give him a few more fights and maybe he'll be in line for a title shot some time soon. It's not like there is a plethora of guys knocking on the door at middleweight.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:54 PM
joestevens29

Maybe it's just me, but reading that Bisping re-signs a 8 fight contract just screams that this guy is going to be babied along just to keep the English fans around.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but reading that Bisping re-signs a 8 fight contract just screams that this guy is going to be babied along just to keep the English fans around.

Bisping will probably never get another title shot, but he knows how to hype a fight and that's why he's yet again part of the TUF series AND getting a sweetheart contract deal.

He's not brock lesnar, but his personality probably brings in enough PPV and ticket sales (esp. in england) to justify it.

He's one of the few actually GOOD and VISIBLE english fighters out there right now, so he'll be a main-carder at every trip over there if that's possible.

On the note of contracts, it seems like Overeem is getting a lot closer to signing in the UFC. I suspect he'll fight in the UFC on the FOX broadcast debut or on the of the PPVs near the end of the year if they can hammer out a deal.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Bisping will probably never get another title shot, but he knows how to hype a fight and that's why he's yet again part of the TUF series AND getting a sweetheart contract deal.

He's not brock lesnar, but his personality probably brings in enough PPV and ticket sales (esp. in england) to justify it.

He's one of the few actually GOOD and VISIBLE english fighters out there right now, so he'll be a main-carder at every trip over there if that's possible.

On the note of contracts, it seems like Overeem is getting a lot closer to signing in the UFC. I suspect he'll fight in the UFC on the FOX broadcast debut or on the of the PPVs near the end of the year if they can hammer out a deal.
Bisping hasn't had a UFC title shot but if he gets one it has more to do with the depth (or lack thereof) of the middleweight division and number of guys who haven't faced Silva.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Muad'Dib

‘Rampage’ accuses Jones camp of spying

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...s_spies_082911

Quote:
Spygate has come to the UFC.

Jackson said in an interview with Yahoo! Sports on Monday that he made up a story about having a hand injury last week. Yet, four hours after he mentioned the story in his gym, he said his manager received a call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva asking about it.

Jackson said he first became wary about a spy in his camp during the days prior to his May 29, 2010, fight at UFC 114 in Las Vegas with Rashad Evans. He said he injured his knee in training, but kept it quiet and let no one know. He was pleased when the injury never found its way into the media.

Yet, Jackson said that during the fight, Evans punched him repeatedly on the injured knee.

“In all my years of fighting, I’d never been punched in the knee before and I never saw anyone punch someone in the knee,” Jackson said.

He said that made him wary that someone in his camp had been disloyal. But it wasn’t until recently, when he received a message from a fan on Twitter telling him that Jones had a spy in Jackson’s camp, that he began to consider it a possibility. It prompted him to make up the story about the injured hand to see where it would go.

Jackson said that four hours after he first made mention of the supposed injury, Silva, who was attending UFC 134 in Brazil, called his manager, Anthony McGann, to inquire. When McGann assured Silva that Jackson was not injured, he asked where Silva had heard the information.

To Jackson, the response was predictable: Silva said he had gotten a call from Jones’ manager Malki Kawa.

Old
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
joestevens29

In a welcomed move that's sure to spark lots of speculation, Bellator Fighting Championships today announced its preliminary-card fights now will stream live and for free on Spike.com.

The two-hour streams, which kick off each Saturday at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT), begin with this week's Bellator 49 event.

Should add more speculation to Bellator on Spike TV.

Old
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
In a welcomed move that's sure to spark lots of speculation, Bellator Fighting Championships today announced its preliminary-card fights now will stream live and for free on Spike.com.

The two-hour streams, which kick off each Saturday at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT), begin with this week's Bellator 49 event.

Should add more speculation to Bellator on Spike TV.
It's pretty much inevitable that Bellator will move to Spike T.V.

I can only think that the Bellator crew would be paranoid that moving networks again would somehow eat into their broadcast numbers.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
GMofOilers

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem set for Dec. 30

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ereem-ufc.html

Nice to see Dana get a deal done with Overeem!

Good luck to Brock, hes becoming a celebrity back at my home in Saskatchewan, everyone knows him there now, and my buddy took him fishing not to long ago and sent me a pic of him in the background with Brock and 2--13 lb walleyes!

Old
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
OilDrop37

What kind of fighter is Overeem? Wrestler or puncher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post

Good luck to Brock, hes becoming a celebrity back at my home in Saskatchewan, everyone knows him there now, and my buddy took him fishing not to long ago and sent me a pic of him in the background with Brock and 2--13 lb walleyes!

Old
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post

I sure hope they have a good co-main event lined up. Both guys have had injury problems lately.

Old
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
What kind of fighter is Overeem? Wrestler or puncher?
He does some of everything. He is solid on the ground. He went a year or two ago into probably the best kicking boxing organization in the world with K-1. He won their entire Grand Prix tournament and became the only guy to hold simultaneous titles in both kickboxing and MMA.

Obviously Brock should have the overall power and wrestling advantage. Which by itself might be enough to overwhelm, but Overeem has the advantage in every other facet of fighting.

Quote:
I sure hope they have a good co-main event lined up. Both guys have had injury problems lately.
Yeah he should be doing that for all big fights now. It is great the fighters got health insurance. But it seems like any nagging small injury these days and they pull out right away. Where as before they could not really afford to so they mostly fought with these little things bugging them. Not much that can be done about that, but as you say White and company need to have back up plans for their back up plans.

As for Overeem he fought Werdum with those injuries. Then that led to part of the problem with what happened. As he was promised he would have at least until the end of October to heal up before fighting again. Then the UFC changed their mind and said no you have to fight at the start of September. So with this fight being at the end of the year Overeem should be really ready to go. Brock I would agree is more of a who knows when it is going to pop up at any minute type of thing.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 09-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
joestevens29

I think Overeem gets the win, but the problem I see is that he has fought a bunch of lessor guys to pad his record. Outside of Werdum who Dos Santos knocked out in just over a minute who has Overeem fought?

The problem with Lesnar is if he can't out muscle the guy he is in big trouble.

Closed Thread