HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
So Shogun vs. Henderson at 139.

139 looking not bad.

* Light Heavyweight bout: United States Dan Henderson vs. Brazil Maurício Rua[4]
* Middleweight bout: Brazil Vitor Belfort vs. United States Cung Le[5]
* Bantamweight bout: United States Brian Bowles vs. United States Urijah Faber[6]
* Welterweight bout: Denmark Martin Kampmann vs. United States Rick Story[6]
* Light Heavyweight bout: United States Kyle Kingsbury vs. United States Stephan Bonnar[6]
* Light Heavyweight bout: United States Jason Brilz vs. United States Ryan Bader[6]
* Middleweight bout: United States Chris Weidman vs. United States Tom Lawlor[6]
* Lightweight bout: Brazil Gleison Tibau vs. Brazil Rafael Dos Anjos[6]

Old
09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Stacked card.

Best one in a long time.

Old
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Anyone see Jones and Rampage on Jimmy Kimmel last night? I know they're trying to hype the fight but I have trouble believing they don't like each other as much as they're trying to make it seem. They're hilarious together. It almost seems like a waste if they don't become friends eventually.

Old
09-24-2011, 02:59 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Weigh-ins for Jones VS Rampage

Seriously... has Rampage ever looked that ripped? DAMNNN I watched the flick of him training hard in Denver to vastly improve his cardio... but DAMNNNN. That's a monster. I say Rampage lasts 3 rounds before Jones finds a way to break him.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Eskimo44

I think Jones wins for sure, but Rampage has the size and strength to possibly limit the explosivness in Jones, and he can take a punch. He's got a chance, especially if he has the cardio to take him down when needed. If he wants to win i think striking with Jones is a poor idea, the guy is just too fast and long.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:25 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
dont we have a general ot thread

Old
09-24-2011, 07:31 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think Jones wins for sure, but Rampage has the size and strength to possibly limit the explosivness in Jones, and he can take a punch. He's got a chance, especially if he has the cardio to take him down when needed. If he wants to win i think striking with Jones is a poor idea, the guy is just too fast and long.
I dono man... I think all the Rampage fans have to hope that Rampage is up for avoiding leg kicks and playing a standup game. I think Jones is a damn good wrestler.

Rampage is a good wrestler, but he's horrible on his back and I think taking it to the ground puts him at risk of getting in a bad situation quickly.

Rampage also insists on standing up and knocking dudes out. Only way I see him choosing to go to the ground is if he knocks Jones down.

Should be a good fight.

Old
09-24-2011, 09:27 AM
joestevens29

I like both guys so I just hope they put a show on. I can't believe the odds on Rampage though. Not even worth the money to bet on Jones.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:25 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
dont we have a general ot thread
I always love when the thread police go out of there way to post in a thread they don't think should exist.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:38 AM
bardfromedson

Rampage is NOT in the same wrestling class as Jones. Rampage is average at best. what he is good at is sprawling to avoid being taken down. there is no chance in hell he can take jones to the mat and im pretty sure that would be a bad idea for him to do. Jones can dictate where the fight happens. if he isn't happy with how the fight is going on his feet he can/will take rampage to the ground. Once rampage is on his back he "is like a turtle".
Jones 3rd round submission after making rampage look stupid in the stand up and kicking rampages lead leg into jello.

Old
09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I dono man... I think all the Rampage fans have to hope that Rampage is up for avoiding leg kicks and playing a standup game. I think Jones is a damn good wrestler.

Rampage is a good wrestler, but he's horrible on his back and I think taking it to the ground puts him at risk of getting in a bad situation quickly.

Rampage also insists on standing up and knocking dudes out. Only way I see him choosing to go to the ground is if he knocks Jones down.

Should be a good fight.
Yeah i hear you with his striking game, i know he's a striker but you can't knock out what you can't hit. Jones is pretty good at everything, i just think he may need the Silvia treatment. I think Rampage is probably screwed anyway though, although with him you never know.lol. I agree he can't get put on his back, i mean he should try to strike and get him on his back for ground and pound when he over extends. I just don't see him getting inside on Jones often enough without the threat of a takedown. Make sense?

Old
09-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
Rampage is NOT in the same wrestling class as Jones. Rampage is average at best. what he is good at is sprawling to avoid being taken down. there is no chance in hell he can take jones to the mat and im pretty sure that would be a bad idea for him to do. Jones can dictate where the fight happens. if he isn't happy with how the fight is going on his feet he can/will take rampage to the ground. Once rampage is on his back he "is like a turtle".
Jones 3rd round submission after making rampage look stupid in the stand up and kicking rampages lead leg into jello.
I think we agree. He can't rely on standup to beat Jones. And you say he can't try to outmuscle him either. So he can't win? I think he needs a balanced attack to get Jones off of his game, he's just too good at everything. Like i said i think Jones wins.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:11 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:
I think we agree. He can't rely on standup to beat Jones. And you say he can't try to outmuscle him either. So he can't win? I think he needs a balanced attack to get Jones off of his game, he's just too good at everything. Like i said i think Jones wins.

I think his only chance is a big right hook. I don't see any good coming for rampage if it goes to the ground even with him on top. I would bet he doesn't go for one takedown unless his face has taken a beating. His only advantage is brute strength and punching power. his strength goes out the window with the size of jones because he has the leverage factor. I would like rampage to try some of his old school slams even though i don't think he could pull them off against jones. his slams in pride were legendary. I have the feeling rampage will look silly by the end of the night. jones is not an easy opponent to prep for. don't know who can beat him other than anderson silva but thats an argument for a different day

Old
09-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
I think his only chance is a big right hook. I don't see any good coming for rampage if it goes to the ground even with him on top. I would bet he doesn't go for one takedown unless his face has taken a beating. His only advantage is brute strength and punching power. his strength goes out the window with the size of jones because he has the leverage factor. I would like rampage to try some of his old school slams even though i don't think he could pull them off against jones. his slams in pride were legendary. I have the feeling rampage will look silly by the end of the night. jones is not an easy opponent to prep for. don't know who can beat him other than anderson silva but thats an argument for a different day
Well i'm thinking his face will take a beating if he doesn't try to mix it up. Slams would be an example of what i said before in using his strength to neutralize Jones.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:32 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I always love when the thread police go out of there way to post in a thread they don't think should exist.
Lol..amen brother.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
GMofOilers

Like Jones said, Rampage is like a turtle on his back, if I mean when Jones gets him down its over.

Old
09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Somebody better start an ot thread with the links to tonights show. PM me of course.

We wouldn't want to do anything...unguiltily...

Old
09-24-2011, 05:24 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Somebody better start an ot thread with the links to tonights show. PM me of course.

We wouldn't want to do anything...unguiltily...
I thought you could post links on this site?

Old
09-24-2011, 05:46 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Yeah i hear you with his striking game, i know he's a striker but you can't knock out what you can't hit. Jones is pretty good at everything, i just think he may need the Silvia treatment. I think Rampage is probably screwed anyway though, although with him you never know.lol. I agree he can't get put on his back, i mean he should try to strike and get him on his back for ground and pound when he over extends. I just don't see him getting inside on Jones often enough without the threat of a takedown. Make sense?
Makes complete sense.

Rampage has to be very careful to get inside and execute quick and devastating combos to Jones. With all his power, I wonder if Rampage could seriously harm Jones with a liver punch. I kinda suspect it would be more effective than trying to knock him out.

Poor Rampage. He's one of my favorite light heavyweights of all time and I can't imagine him winning this fight.

Old
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

brutal knockout by Te Huna while avoiding the takedown.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
joestevens29

Not a bad card Saturday night. Missed the prelims, but there was action to be had on the main card.

Didn't think the Diaz fight was a good matchup, it was a good setup for a one sided bout just like Hughes-Koscheck.While they were one sided fights at least it got us off our chairs.

Rothwell-Hunt was quite a fight. Didn't think Rothwell should've been allowed to continue, but a heck of a fight.

Jones-Rampage. Just don't know what happened to Rampage. Looked good first three rounds and round 4 made a mistake against a guy he couldn't make mistakes against.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not a bad card Saturday night. Missed the prelims, but there was action to be had on the main card.

Didn't think the Diaz fight was a good matchup, it was a good setup for a one sided bout just like Hughes-Koscheck.While they were one sided fights at least it got us off our chairs.
If it went to the ground I would agree. But Gomi his fists and boxing are supposed to be his big strength. It was cool to see Diaz more known as the ground fighter take Gomi apart standing.

I felt bad for Aaron Riley during the prelims. He had been out a long time in the past from a broken jaw. He was doing well in this fight then caught a good punch square on the jaw from Ultimate Fighter alumni Tony Ferguson and his jaw was broken again. His corner stopped the fight at the end of the round.

The Tim Ring vs Tim Boestch fight also on the prelims was a real good fight. I was surprised how well Ring stood in there against the monster sized (for this weight class, cuts lots of weight then puts some of it back on quickly) Boestch.

On a side note did anyone watch the marathon Dream 17 card that HDNet broadcast live. I used the DVR of course since it started at 3AM but damn they showed the whole card with the intermissions and stuff. It ended up being over 5 hours long!

It was a pretty entertaining card though. I thought Rob McCollaugh would put up a lot better fight against Shinya Aoki though. I guess he was worried about being taken down he hardly tried to strike him at all which was a waste. Aoki shown in the past if you rough him up the fight goes right out of him.

I thought Bibiano Fernandes looked fantastic in his win in the opening round of the Bantamweight Grand Prix.

Kazushi Sakuraba please retire. It is sad to keep watching him get beaten fight after fight by guys that were not nearly as good as he was in his prime. Sakuraba is broken down at this point, most of both his legs were heavily taped up, he was stiff and limping on the walk to the ring.

The Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Jaockim Hansen was a good one. Also Masakazu Imanari is always a pleasure to watch. I thought Nakamura vs Gerald Harris might be a good fight, but it was boring.

Caol Uno got beat up pretty bad, he had been considering retirement before his last win (which was preceded by a whole string of losses). I wonder if he might be considering it once again?

Old
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
joestevens29

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25407/spik...tos-fights.mma

LOL, so Spike still has the UFC library for 2012 and plan on countering all the fox cards.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
joestevens29

I guess next year when the UFC goes to Japan they will also be having a show in Vegas the same day. Not sure how it's going to work out, but it doesn't sound like this is a one time deal.

If it does work this could be a way for the UFC to use all their fighters without having to have a card every two weeks.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I guess next year when the UFC goes to Japan they will also be having a show in Vegas the same day. Not sure how it's going to work out, but it doesn't sound like this is a one time deal.

If it does work this could be a way for the UFC to use all their fighters without having to have a card every two weeks.
This is how it will work out and I think it is a pretty cool idea:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-japan-will-...s-pay-per-view

Basically you get to watch the Japan card for free on tv live. It will then immediately lead into the PPV in Vegas.

The only thing I wonder is how long will the Japan card be on tv? A full sort of 2 hour event or just a 1 hour deal almost like a higher caliber prelim show?

Hoping for a 2 hour event from Japan. But however it works out I am kind of excited about this.

Also I am curious what time this card is on in Japan? I wonder how crazy those fans will be over there if they have watch it at some weird time just so the North American fans can see it at time that is good for them? Then again I am sure a lot of Japanese fans are just happy the UFC is in Japan period.

Closed Thread