HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
he'll get a call from someone. bellator probably, the UFC maybe.
I somehow think he was on tryouts for one of the UFC shows. I might've misheard though. Problem with UFC is they can't afford to take a guy like him on. They don't really have room. Although I guess when they are in Canada they could use him. Rather see him than Macdonald who seems to get endless chances.

Old
10-11-2011, 04:07 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I somehow think he was on tryouts for one of the UFC shows. I might've misheard though. Problem with UFC is they can't afford to take a guy like him on. They don't really have room. Although I guess when they are in Canada they could use him. Rather see him than Macdonald who seems to get endless chances.

i think that's partly why bellator's been able to snap up a lot of up-and-coming talent...the UFC has been pretty slow and deliberate about cutting their roster down to more manageable levels, so then you have bellator swooping in and offering superfights and tourney slots because they still have plenty of room for talent.

Who really knows though. The UFC has been signing guys periodically this year so they'll sign who they want.

Old
10-12-2011, 03:11 PM
joestevens29

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/...urn=mma-wp8147

So Lesnar signs on to be a WWE character on a video game. Speculation about him going back to WWE shall pick up I suspect. Although Dana did give him permission to do it, so who knows.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
On a side note, Jimmo beat Sokoudjou at the card on the weekend. Wonder what is next for Jimmo. 16 consecutive wins since a loss in his first fight.
Did you see the fight? I thought Sokoudjou probably should have got the decision. Even Jimmo as soon as they said verdict he held two fingers about an inch apart and mouthed that was so close.

To be honest I would love to see Jimmo against some tougher competition. He is just so hesitant like all the time and does nothing unless he has to. I think if someone really pressured him he would be in some trouble.

Anyways a couple news tidbits and Joe I am sure you will hate this first one. Since you thought it was crappy that Nick Diaz was let back on the same card he blew off.

- Dana White is now saying if he wins fight on that card he probably gets the next title shot again.

- Weird to hear the recent Bellator show had strong tv ratings. But by UFC standards the last UFC prelims apparently had poor ratings.

- The leader of Showtime Sports that apparently championed MMA on the channel has left. He is leaving to be the head of HBO Sports.

- Gilbert Melendez will still defend his Strikeforce title as planned against Jorge Masvidal.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:56 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Jimmo sucks. He is NOT UFC caliber.

The last Bellator card was boss.

Lima vs Saunders for the final should be good.

Winner gets Askren.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/...urn=mma-wp8147

So Lesnar signs on to be a WWE character on a video game. Speculation about him going back to WWE shall pick up I suspect. Although Dana did give him permission to do it, so who knows.
To "fight" Undertaker at WM?

Old
10-14-2011, 08:50 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Did you see the fight? I thought Sokoudjou probably should have got the decision. Even Jimmo as soon as they said verdict he held two fingers about an inch apart and mouthed that was so close.

To be honest I would love to see Jimmo against some tougher competition. He is just so hesitant like all the time and does nothing unless he has to. I think if someone really pressured him he would be in some trouble.

Anyways a couple news tidbits and Joe I am sure you will hate this first one. Since you thought it was crappy that Nick Diaz was let back on the same card he blew off.

- Dana White is now saying if he wins fight on that card he probably gets the next title shot again.

- Weird to hear the recent Bellator show had strong tv ratings. But by UFC standards the last UFC prelims apparently had poor ratings.

- The leader of Showtime Sports that apparently championed MMA on the channel has left. He is leaving to be the head of HBO Sports.

- Gilbert Melendez will still defend his Strikeforce title as planned against Jorge Masvidal.
I think the key with Jimmo and I see it in the local boxing scene is that these guys are comfortable. They seem to be afraid to make the next big step because if they lose bad then their dream is over.

Well if Diaz does beat Penn then I guess I'm somewhat okay with him getting the shot. Still think it was very unlike Dana to put Diaz right nack on that card.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
joestevens29

Not MMA related, but Kimbo boxing tomorrow and big LHW fight between Hopkins and Dawson tomorrow.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Yup looking forward to those. Kimbo was pure beast in his debut, love that guy.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
bsmith14

I wonder who Ellenberger is fighting next? I wouldnt mind seeing him take on Anthony Johnson for the #1 contender spot. Also if Rory Macdonald beats Ebersole I would love to see him fight a guy like Rick Story or maybe even Jon Fitch

Old
10-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Zap Brannigan

Wouldn't mind seeing that Jimmo/Glover Teixiera fight that was rumored to be happening in the MFC come to fruition be it in Canada or Brazil

Actually any fight for Glover against a decent light heavyweight wouldn't be too horrible at this point

Old
10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
joestevens29

So GSP out. Koscheck said he'd step up, but White says Condit will sit and wait for GSP.

Old
10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
So GSP out. Koscheck said he'd step up, but White says Condit will sit and wait for GSP.
Yeah that is a bummer. I always wonder when this stuff happens a couple days later you still see UFC promo spots still totally pimping the fight as happening. You know with a well oiled machine like the UFC and all their employees and design departments etc... They could whip up a new promo and fire it off to all the stations in a pretty short time frame. At least they changed it on their website though.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

Well Hopkins gets his belt back. Time to start getting rid of some of these hacks that call themselves refs.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Oilerdiehard

Report: Viacom Purchases Bellator Fighting Championships

The company that owns Spike TV, MTV, Comedy Central etc... has purchased controlling interest in Bellator. The promotion will be moved to Spike TV in 2013.

They have to wait until 2013 as they own the rights to all the back log of UFC stuff until then. Part of the agreement on those rights is that they can not broadcast any other MMA promotions until then. So Bellator stays on MTV2 for the short term.

So I guess the chances of Zuffa swooping in to buy Bellator to wipe out yet another competitor look unlikely now. Hopefully they continue to grow as a promotion. I do not like that there would be no viable options besides only one place for higher level fighters to go. I like to see some competition.

http://mmaweekly.com/report-viacom-p...-championships

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 10-27-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old
10-26-2011, 02:23 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Report: Viacom Purchases Bellator Fighting Championships

The company that owns Spike TV, MTV, Comedy Central etc... has purchased controlling interest in Bellator. The promotion will be moved to Spike TV in 2013.

They have to wait until 2013 as they own the rights to all the back log of UFC stuff until then. Part of the agreement on those rights is that they can not broadcast any other MMA promotions until then. So Bellator stays on MTV2 for the short term.

So I guess the chances of Zuffa swooping in to buy Bellator to wipe out yet another competitor look likely now. Hopefully they continue to grow as a promotion. I do not like that there would be no viable options besides only one place for higher level fighters to go. I like to see some competition.

http://mmaweekly.com/report-viacom-p...-championships
Agreed. And I like Bellator and watch it regularly. They put on some good fights.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Oilerdiehard

I like BJ Penn. But it was cool watching my boy Nick Diaz pick him apart on the feet.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 11-09-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old
10-30-2011, 02:53 AM
bsmith14

Diaz getting the shot against GSP super bowl weekend! LOL apparently diaz was ranting in the post fight press conference that he doesnt get paid enough cant pay his sparring partners etc, love him or hate him diaz is one bad dude.

Also Donald Cerrone is a serious contender for the LW belt, I wouldnt mind seeing him scrap nate diaz, or rematch with ben henderson

Old
10-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Also Donald Cerrone is a serious contender for the LW belt, I wouldnt mind seeing him scrap nate diaz, or rematch with ben henderson
If Bendo can get past Guida in a couple weeks I think him and Cerrone would be a fantastic fight for #1 contender. Although that leaves Edgar on the bench for quite awhile if that fight did happen.

If Henderson beats Guida maybe give him the next title shot and then have Cerrone fight Anthony Pettis for the title shot after the next.

Cerrone has gotta be close at this point. He has walked through his fights so far in the UFC.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Wheatking

http://www.5thround.com/94302/george...bowl-saturday/

Quote:
“I don’t think Georges is hurt,” Diaz emphatically stated. “I think he’s scared to fight everybody right now.”

According to White, St-Pierre ain’t scared, homie. After being put on blast, White claimed he’d never seen St-Pierre as upset as he was after UFC 137 wrapped and knew he had to comply to his champion’s demands.

“I’ve known GSP since 2004, he’s one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met,” White said. “GSP flipped out tonight when Nick was in the ring. Nick needs motivation, he’s got it. He’s gonna fight GSP.”

Although St-Pierre didn’t get the opportunity to rock the mic himself, White relayed the French-Canadian’s irate message for him.

“He’s the most disrespectful human being I’ve ever met, and I’m going to put the worst beating you’ve ever seen on him,” White told the media on St-Pierre’s behalf.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Diaz getting the shot against GSP super bowl weekend! LOL apparently diaz was ranting in the post fight press conference that he doesnt get paid enough cant pay his sparring partners etc, love him or hate him diaz is one bad dude.

Yeah I forgot to mention Cerrone. One of my fave fighters. I have been following him since before he was even in the WEC.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

So Penn pulls the pin and retires too. Wasn't really a fan of his, but the guy had some pretty good skills.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

While I think Mayweather has been a disgrace lately I have to give him credit. Offering to pay for Frazier's funeral.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
hes just trying to win people over, he forgot to mention though that is pacquiao is there he will have to dip out

Old
11-09-2011, 01:45 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
So Penn pulls the pin and retires too. Wasn't really a fan of his, but the guy had some pretty good skills.
i heard he is gonna help train with the cesar gracie camp and bring up his younger brother, who knows he might get the itch and fight again but i doubt it if he cant beat top guys. dudes a legend and adding him to your list of trainers is huge

Closed Thread