HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Nate Diaz looked sick, man i dont get why he isnt the next contender? He already beat Guida who is in the top 3-4 lw's right now and his previous losses came from some pretty good welterweights. Diaz vs the winner of Henderson-Edgar
Losing back to back fights against Dony-Hyun and MacDonald is why.

He also lost to Guida.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Losing back to back fights against Dony-Hyun and MacDonald is why.

He also lost to Guida.
DHK and Rory don't have much to do with it seeing as they are both top 15 Welterweights. I think it is more about timing right now. I expect that Pettis will get the next shot if he beats Lauzon, if Lauzon wins (which I think he will) then Joe will fight Nate for the titles shot (which would probably be the best LW fight ever.)

Old
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
DHK and Rory don't have much to do with it seeing as they are both top 15 Welterweights. I think it is more about timing right now. I expect that Pettis will get the next shot if he beats Lauzon, if Lauzon wins (which I think he will) then Joe will fight Nate for the titles shot (which would probably be the best LW fight ever.)
Either way given the depth of the lightweight division 2 wins most likely isn't going to get you a title shot.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
No you personally never said that, I said people say that at times. That guys are only in Strikeforce because they would never cut it in the UFC.

IMO it depends on the division. They have a couple thin divisions and some strong ones as well.

Some good fighters to for me like Josh Barnett, Sergei Kharitonov, Antonio "Big Foot" Silva, Fabricio Werdum, Daniel Cormier, Keith Jardine, King Mo Lawal, Gegard Musasi, Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Mike Kyle, Evangelista Cyborg Santos, Tim Kennedy, Robbie Lawler, Luke Rockhold, Scott "Hands of Steel" Smith, Benji Radach, Renaldo Jacare Souza, Marius Žaromskis (current Dream welterweight champ), Paul Daley, Justin Wilcox, Josh "The Punk" Thompson, Gilbert Melendez, Jorge Masvidal, KJ Noons, Jorge Gurgel etc...

Then a number of young up and comers like Tarec Saffiedine, Conor Heun, Caros Fodor, Jason High, Jordan Mein, Tyron Woodley, Joe Duarte, Danillo Villefort, Ryan Couture, Yoel Romero, Lorenz Larkin (Up & comer who is 12-0), Ovince St. Preux (another good young fighter on his way up), Shane Del Rosario (11-0).

Plus the womens divisions which I am a fan of personally.

But yeah hopefully White, since he plans to make a go of it, is looking to strengthen the overall depth a little bit.

Unless White does an about face as well from the comments the last few days. Then Strikeforce will be it's own entity and not a feeder league of sorts.
I think we pretty much agree then. I like a lot of what strikeforce has to offer as an organization but it needs to so something to round out the talent or it needs to let its absolute best graduate up to the UFC. The easy solution would be to put crossover superfights under the strikeforce banner but then that'd also take away card slots from the strikeforce fighters who need it more than the UFC guys.

I too want to see the WMMA divisions grow, and I think we're starting to see that esp. in the 135 lb. division, but 145 is going to have to close shop for a while, there's no one out there with the skills to fight cyborg.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Oh for sure, I just don't think he has a good chin either. Maybe slightly better then average, but not good enough for the giant strikers at HW.
Lesnar had Carwin one of the heaviest handed guys in the sport pound on him for a round and came back to win the fight. Anyone who can go a full round of Carwin punching them in the face has a good enough chin that no one should be talking crap about their chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29
His post fight interview showed what little interest he has in MMA. I don't blame the guy to some degree, but I don't know that going in fighting a guy like Overeem with little heart is smart. He could've very easily been seriously hurt.

I see him being in WWE by the summer. Maybe he won't be a regular fighter, but I can see him being a guy that is around.

As for the other fights what a display by the other winners on the main card. Lots of domination and I for one didn't expect Fitch and Cerrone to get worked like that.
I'm not sure what Lesnar's commitment to MMA was like I just find it a bit funny because in the early days of Overeems career I think myself and many others questioned his commitment to the sport, he would regularly gas himself out and while having talent and bringing excitement to a fight often seemed ill prepared for the fights he found himself in.

Have to say I was shocked seeing Fitch get finished like that, had myself prepared for a long grinding match.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Lesnar had Carwin one of the heaviest handed guys in the sport pound on him for a round and came back to win the fight. Anyone who can go a full round of Carwin punching them in the face has a good enough chin that no one should be talking crap about their chin

I'm not sure what Lesnar's commitment to MMA was like I just find it a bit funny because in the early days of Overeems career I think myself and many others questioned his commitment to the sport, he would regularly gas himself out and while having talent and bringing excitement to a fight often seemed ill prepared for the fights he found himself in.

Have to say I was shocked seeing Fitch get finished like that, had myself prepared for a long grinding match.
I don't think Lesnar should've made it out of round 1. So many fights have been called off from the damage that Carwin through. Heck guys that coverup and leave with minimal damage get called out, but Lesnar who pretty much was beaten to a pulp got by because he was the champ and he could make more money for the UFC than Carwin.

Also Lesnar out 6 months so no quick un-retire for him

Guess those knees did some serious damage.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:21 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I don't think Lesnar should've made it out of round 1. So many fights have been called off from the damage that Carwin through. Heck guys that coverup and leave with minimal damage get called out, but Lesnar who pretty much was beaten to a pulp got by because he was the champ and he could make more money for the UFC than Carwin.

Also Lesnar out 6 months so no quick un-retire for him

Guess those knees did some serious damage.

knees and kicks to a surgically repaired abdomen? Yeah I don't blame Lesnar for folding up if it really was that painful then.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Oilerdiehard

Cris Cyborg Santos, the beast of womens mma. Her tests from her recent Strikeforce fight came up positive for Steroids.

http://mmaweekly.com/cris-cyborg-san...e-for-steroids

Old
01-09-2012, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Cris Cyborg Santos, the beast of womens mma. Her tests from her recent Strikeforce fight came up positive for Steroids.

http://mmaweekly.com/cris-cyborg-san...e-for-steroids
I was reading a few articles and it's funny how different White and Coker are on this. On says that they will wait and the other says the belt is being stripped.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
joestevens29

I see local boy Nick Penner is fighting at UFC on FX against Perosh. Not sure how good Penner will be, but I did follow is short boxing career and a bit of his MMA career. Be interesting just how big he gets after the weigh ins. He fought at 250 during boxing and was in pretty decent shape. 205 he'll be a beast.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
joestevens29

Well pretty boy calls out Manny, has some nice words for him

My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

Keeping with boxing what a disgrace that Vitali Klitschko is fighting a 15-2 fighter.

Old
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
I see local boy Nick Penner is fighting at UFC on FX against Perosh. Not sure how good Penner will be, but I did follow is short boxing career and a bit of his MMA career. Be interesting just how big he gets after the weigh ins. He fought at 250 during boxing and was in pretty decent shape. 205 he'll be a beast.
The Hippo is a big first test in the UFC for sure though. I'm surprised that isn't on the Australia card though (or is it?)

Old
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
joestevens29

Well Anthony Johnson come in over weight. Odd because I'm pretty sure they were going at middleweight. He must be real heavy.

ufc UFC
Belfort/Johnson fight on IF Johnson weighs less than 205 tomorrow; Belfort will get 20% of his purse, Dana calls AJ "total unprofessional"
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
01-14-2012, 11:57 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Supposedly Johnson managed to cut to 187ish, but ended up losing the feeling in his legs, so the doctors ordered him to rehydrate.

Pretty crazy card tonight, eh?

Not a bad fight on the card and the Aldo and Barboza KOs were awesome.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
“Three strikes and you’re gone,” White said.

Johnson missed weight on Friday prior to UFC 142 in Brazil. He previously had two other incidents missing weight when he was competing at 170lbs.

Apparently this is the 3rd time Anthony Johnson has had problems making weight. So the UFC released him.

I wonder if he shows up in Bellator?

Old
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Dana White goes off about the interview ESPN with Lorenzo Fertitta. How they edited it to make them look bad and cut out the stuff that was negative towards ESPN.

Fertitta brought up how the UFC does make anywhere near the money ESPN does but they pay some of the fighters on their tv cards like $275 bucks. He pointed out that they pay way more (Fertitta claims 10 times more) even to the prelim fighters on their tv cards etc...

The UFC brought their own camera so they put out the unedited version of the interview.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Apparently this is the 3rd time Anthony Johnson has had problems making weight. So the UFC released him.

I wonder if he shows up in Bellator?
There is no doubt that he'll make it somewhere. Just sucks that he couldn't stick around in the UFC as he was generally an exciting fighter.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

I had the twitter link and lost it, but King Mo failed drug test.

Old
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

Dana White
Munoz is injured and out of the FOX fight! Now it's Chael Sonnen vs Mike Bisping jan 28th and the winner will fight Anderson for the title.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Oilerdiehard

I am hearing UFC 145 to be held in Montreal was cancelled or postponed.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
I am hearing UFC 145 to be held in Montreal was cancelled or postponed.
postponed to a later date in 2012, not getting a main event with a champion or big names is pretty much the reason

Old
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

First UFC event on FX pulls in lower ratings than similar 2011 events on Spike TV:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fx-tv-ra...nt-starts-slow

Old
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
First UFC event on FX pulls in lower ratings than similar 2011 events on Spike TV:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fx-tv-ra...nt-starts-slow
Isn't fx on a lot less homes in the us? Some guy was on gregors show talking about how fx had a huge increase when the news of UFC being on their network came out. Other question would be how is fx one compared to spike one?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:19 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Legit BJJ in Edmonton

I hate to be the guy to make a thread non-Oilers related.
I've been living in Montreal since 2002. Much has changed in Edmonton since then. I would like to know if there are any legit BJJ facilities in Edm cause I will be moving back when I land a job in my field sometime this year. And I wanted to delicate my time only to work, BJJ, working out and photography as a side job. Any advices from my fellow Oilers fans? Just want to re-establish myself back in Edm as quickly as possible.

edit: so sorry. thought this was the Oilers board. can a mod please arrange it for me?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Thread moved to Oilers forum from the main board. They can merge it to wherever the Oil mods see fit.

Closed Thread