HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
No Dana just said 3 Canadian PPV's next year, didn't say what cities. But I really think that we will probably get an FX or Fuel card in Edmonton sometime early next year.
Yeah, but it's widely speculated that Calgary will get another one next year.

Anyway, Tom Wright is always praising this city as the MMA hotbed that it is... and we lose out to Calgary. Can't say that I'm happy.

Old
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm pretty miffed that Calgary is getting a UFC PPV in 2012 and 2013. I guess it's the sexier choice over Edmonton.

FYI, Dana, this city is the MMA hotbed of Alberta.
I bet a new arena makes edmonton the go-to city for future UFC PPVs out here.

Quote:
No Dana just said 3 Canadian PPV's next year, didn't say what cities. But I really think that we will probably get an FX or Fuel card in Edmonton sometime early next year.
Edmonton probably gets consideration for 2013, and as you say probably gets a smaller card if they can't get next year's card.

Old
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Saddledome has more seats but it's still a dump. Concert acts in the round have been passing over the city in recent years because of the 'Dome's unusual shape.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Saddledome has more seats but it's still a dump. Concert acts in the round have been passing over the city in recent years because of the 'Dome's unusual shape.
The Dome is pretty good for sporting events, but is probably the worst major concert venue in Canada. The acoustics in there are horrible. I went to Slayer there like 11 years ago and it was freaking terrible. Rexall has very good acoustics, that's why Edmonton gets much bigger bands then they should for a city that size. How many other cities Edmonton's size does U2 stop off at? Answer...0.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

I assume the UFC is able to get around those problems.

the capacity of the arena, coupled with the fact that they know for a fact people will travel from all over the province for it means it's a better option.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

seriously it HURTS me to admit that calgary is probably a better venue for this...but it is. they'll make more money in Calgary this time around. the new arena here will put us at the front of the line, but until then we're SOL.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Auguste Escoffier

The thing that pisses me off, is last year when the Skydome hosted the big UFC event, Dana specifically mentioned Edmonton as a place he wants to hold a UFC event.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:49 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
The thing that pisses me off, is last year when the Skydome hosted the big UFC event, Dana specifically mentioned Edmonton as a place he wants to hold a UFC event.

i don't see any reason to be pissed, there's still plenty of opportunities for the edmonton area to host a show, it just won't be in 2012.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Watching the press conference from earlier today, and of course Tom Wright mentions Edmonton was "looked at", but they went with Calgary because it is Calgary's 100th birthday. Oh, and SHAW's HQ is located there.

Sounds reasonable.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
i don't see any reason to be pissed, there's still plenty of opportunities for the edmonton area to host a show, it just won't be in 2012.
It's fine if you aren't, but I am.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:40 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
It's fine if you aren't, but I am.

I guess I just don't see the rationality of being angry that calgary was a better option this time. I may hate the flames, but I don't particularly hate the city, and it's still close enough that I can go down for a weekend and watch it.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

It would be awesome if someday in the future, if they can have a UFC event in Commonwealth stadium sometime in the summer.

Is it ever possible, would it sell out? Or is our city too small?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

King Mo cut due to his own stupidity. Do celebs not realize that when they went their bosses or future bosses are probably going to hear about your bad tweets?

Old
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So what's next for Ryan Bader?

03-29-2012, 05:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So what's next for Ryan Bader?
I haven't been impressed with him yet. Has a long way to go. Maybe he headlines a show on Fuel or something.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:10 PM
joestevens29

So Overeem fails a drug test and fight might be off. Really sad as the guy has talent, but we might never know just how good he is.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:47 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So Overeem fails a drug test and fight might be off. Really sad as the guy has talent, but we might never know just how good he is.
Mir pushing hard to replace Overeem in the main event. If he gets in, I predict a KO in under 2 min.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
joestevens29

Came across this today. Not a shock, this seems to have been something that was in the works for quite some time. Probably make similar money and not worry about getting his face bashed in.
On April 2, 2012, Brock Lesnar returned to the WWE on Monday Night Raw. Lesnar appeared at the end of the show and attacked John Cena.[70] The following week John Laurinaitis introduced Lesnar as the new face of the WWE, he then said Lesnar would face Cena at Extreme Rules, Cena uninterrupted and slapped Lesnar in the face, the two then brawled. On April 16 John Laurinaitis announced via WWE.com that Lesnar Vs Cena will be extreme rules

Old
04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Cam98

with his condition he had no choice to retire from mma... and hes still young, needs something to do lol...

Old
04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So does Rashad Evans have a shot?

Old
04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So does Rashad Evans have a shot?
Definitely. Rashad has one hit KO power, and a killer fast overhand right, which is a bread and butter punch against tall, lanky opponents. It really is a pick'em fight in my opinion. Everyone writing Rashad off needs to realize the guy has only lost one fight.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Definitely. Rashad has one hit KO power, and a killer fast overhand right, which is a bread and butter punch against tall, lanky opponents. It really is a pick'em fight in my opinion. Everyone writing Rashad off needs to realize the guy has only lost one fight.
Jones so far has picked apart everyone he has faced, and that includes deadlier strikers than Rashad in Shogun, Machida and Rampage. I guess Rashad might have a punchers chance, but Jones has never had real trouble with anyone. Jones is the heavy favourite and rightfully so.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Jones so far has picked apart everyone he has faced, and that includes deadlier strikers than Rashad in Shogun, Machida and Rampage. I guess Rashad might have a punchers chance, but Jones has never had real trouble with anyone. Jones is the heavy favourite and rightfully so.
The big difference between those 3 and Rashad is Jones has to constantly be aware of the takedown. Rashad has the best shot in the 205lb division. I really think it's going to be a great fight. Anyone saying a D-1 All-American and former champion who only has one single loss on his record only has a punchers chance really needs to look deep into both fighters backgrounds.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Spawn

Quote:
The big difference between those 3 and Rashad is Jones has to constantly be aware of the takedown. Rashad has the best shot in the 205lb division. I really think it's going to be a great fight. Anyone saying a D-1 All-American and former champion who only has one single loss on his record only has a punchers chance really needs to look deep into both fighters backgrounds.
Rashad's wrestling has never really impressed me as much as everyone else it seems. I don't think he gets Jones down. He might be able to prevent himself from being taken down, but I don't think that necessarily helps him. I also think Jones tosses him at will.

Jones makes short work of Rashad I think.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:05 AM
bsmith14

UFC is trying to prepare Gustafsson for Jones, he has a similar style of striking, very rangy and hard to take down (not that Gustafsson has fought a wrestler like Jones).

Im stoked for Miller-Diaz, I am really hoping to see Nate get a title shot. A lot of ppl hate on the Diaz bros but I think they are the epitome of a fighter. Hard working, exciting and bring it to you 100 miles an hour with no fear at all times.

Closed Thread