HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Chooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
http://mmajunkie.com/news/28995/thia...r-teixeira.mma

An injury has forced Thiago Silva out of his fight against Shogun Rua. Dana White wants Glover Teixeira as a replacement but Shogun's camp has apparently turn this down.
I don't blame them. Teixeira made a statement in his UFC debut, and i feel sorry for anybody that accepts a fight with him. If the guy is willing to fight Shogun and yet Shogun isn't willing to fight him, he's scared. There is not much else it points to other than that. Despite what other media outlets are saying, Dana sure made it sound like Shogun's camp turned it down. Flat out. I don't think he's the kind of guy that would put words in Shogun's mouth, either.

Last edited by Chooch: 06-02-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
I don't blame them. Teixeira made a statement in his UFC debut, and i feel sorry for anybody that accepts a fight with him. If the guy is willing to fight Shogun and yet Shogun isn't willing to fight him, he's scared. There is not much else it points to other than that. Despite what other media outlets are saying, Dana sure made it sound like Shogun's camp turned it down. Flat out. I don't think he's the kind of guy that would put words in Shogun's mouth, either.
A) Look at Shogun's fight card.

B) Dana has done this before.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Missed the event, but heard Forrest made an arse of himself again. Is he trying to get fired or what the heck?

Old
07-09-2012, 10:14 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
yeah he ran away from teh cage because he thought he lost, dana was pissed i guess then chased forrest down and made him come back then forrest won the decision. Then like a ******* he takes the mic from rogan and interviews tito for his retirement fight. it was d-bag all around. the dude fought 27 times in the UFC, let him say his thanks to the fans etc etc.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I always thought Forrest was a solid dude.

What's with the baby antics?

Old
07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
yeah he ran away from teh cage because he thought he lost, dana was pissed i guess then chased forrest down and made him come back then forrest won the decision. Then like a ******* he takes the mic from rogan and interviews tito for his retirement fight. it was d-bag all around. the dude fought 27 times in the UFC, let him say his thanks to the fans etc etc.
Tito was pissed because he and Joe go back a long way. I just don't understand why Forrest runs out of the ring. If he didn't have such a funny personality and was a fan fav, I have to think he would be canned and wouldn't get no cushy job.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
I always thought Forrest was a solid dude.

What's with the baby antics?
not sure but he ran away crying after the anderson fight and then ran away on saturday too. I person ally dont like him but he seems highly emotional after fights. He thought he lost, and he could have honestly. Forrest landed 3 strikes to each of titos but tito dropped him 2-3 times and had him wobbled. forrest ended up winning just on sure volume he was throwing but i wouldnt have agrued a judge if he gave tito a round or 2.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:27 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Tito was pissed because he and Joe go back a long way. I just don't understand why Forrest runs out of the ring. If he didn't have such a funny personality and was a fan fav, I have to think he would be canned and wouldn't get no cushy job.
yeah you could tell tito was visibly upset about it. it was his last time on PPV to talk to the fans.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Forrest was pretty quiet on Sunday when we met him. Thought he'd be a little more outgoing, maybe he got chewed out by Dana afterwards.

BTW, highly recommend the UFC expo if anyone ever gets the chance.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:30 PM
frag2

For fans of MMA and Wrasslin'

Apparently the wrasslin was just yesterday's RAW

Old
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
For fans of MMA and Wrasslin'

Apparently the wrasslin was just yesterday's RAW
That's just absolute greatness. LOLOLOLOL. I love it.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:08 AM
ejams

I was at the fights on Saturday and I've got to say that was the BEST preliminary card ever. And definitely the worst main card ever...

Only highlights for the "big fights" were Matt Riddle vs Clemins. The Faber fight wasn't bad but after 3 incredibly crap boring pointless fights everyone wanted a knock out/war.

There were better fights in the crowd.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

They guy on Joe FM had a funny story about a chick that came on the party limo with them. Something about how she was 22 with a 50 year old guy, but they noticed she was missing and was sitting up front with Sam Stout. Apparently they left her in CGY.

Congrats to Jimmo on the KO and 65k bonus. I don't know that this means he's for real, but the 65k is real and will help out a lot.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
AUAIOMRN

I didn't expect that from Jimmo... I saw a couple fights of his back when Shaw still carried HDNet and they were boring as hell.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
I didn't expect that from Jimmo... I saw a couple fights of his back when Shaw still carried HDNet and they were boring as hell.
That's the beauty of MMA, only takes one shot to win. Granted this was an early shot, but it won't be the last time we see a fight ended with just one well placed fist to the face.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
joestevens29

"We can count on one hand how many shows suck," said UFC president Dana White after Calgary's first UFC event.

"(Saturday) is one more finger on that hand."

Following a pay-per-view offering that drew boos from the crowd and saw three consecutive, inactive fights lumber to decision, White said he was ashamed.

"We broke the gate record here and I'm embarrassed," he said of the $4.1-million take at the door that eclipsed the previous Saddledome record held by The Rolling Stones.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I went to UFC 149. Honestly the highlight of the main card was when I went to the washroom before the main event and met Sam Stout in line. Super nice dude.

Spent the most of the rest of the main event watching people getting kicked out for fighting. One just about broke out in the row right in front of me. Might have started fighting as well, but one of those d00ches threw a beer at a cop. Didn't end well for him.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

Read last night that Mir is crossing over to Strikeforce for an OCT bout with Cormier. Look forward to the matchup.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
"We can count on one hand how many shows suck," said UFC president Dana White after Calgary's first UFC event.

"(Saturday) is one more finger on that hand."

Following a pay-per-view offering that drew boos from the crowd and saw three consecutive, inactive fights lumber to decision, White said he was ashamed.

"We broke the gate record here and I'm embarrassed," he said of the $4.1-million take at the door that eclipsed the previous Saddledome record held by The Rolling Stones.
I did not see the card. But fighters are so scared of getting cut if they pick up a loss or two half of them are out just to get safe grind you out decision wins. About the only incentive they have is the event bonuses. But if it means risking getting booted after a loss then who cares about that and who cares about putting on an exciting fight if it leads to a loss. That is the vibe I get sometimes.

Quote:
Read last night that Mir is crossing over to Strikeforce for an OCT bout with Cormier. Look forward to the matchup.
Oooh interesting. I have been wondering what they are going to do. I figured Cormier was just going to cross over to the UFC like the rest of the Strikeforce heavyweight division did (after they finally finished up the Grand Prix tourney fights). Then they mentioned that he will be on another PPV in the not too distant future. I was thinking who the hell is he going to fight? The whole division is gone haha.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I did not see the card. But fighters are so scared of getting cut if they pick up a loss or two half of them are out just to get safe grind you out decision wins. About the only incentive they have is the event bonuses. But if it means risking getting booted after a loss then who cares about that and who cares about putting on an exciting fight if it leads to a loss. That is the vibe I get sometimes.

Oooh interesting. I have been wondering what they are going to do. I figured Cormier was just going to cross over to the UFC like the rest of the Strikeforce heavyweight division did (after they finally finished up the Grand Prix tourney fights). Then they mentioned that he will be on another PPV in the not too distant future. I was thinking who the hell is he going to fight? The whole division is gone haha.
The problem is dana doesn't like those grappling matches either, he'll cut your ass even if you win.

I don't know why Cormier-Mir isn't just a UFC PPV co-main event.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
The problem is dana doesn't like those grappling matches either, he'll cut your ass even if you win.

I don't know why Cormier-Mir isn't just a UFC PPV co-main event.
Yeah that would seem to be the more natural move.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:11 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Cormier-Mir should be a solid fight. It'll test Cormier to see if he's really ready to go on a fast-tracked title shot path or if he needs more seasoning.

The UFC 149 card was a disaster. Most of the PPV fights were awful and the sheer number of replacement fights made it a tough sell even with a best-case-scenario...I actually regret paying to watch this card.

I hope the injury issue resolves itself because I feel like the UFC is wasting a lot of their current golden opportunity to really expand their audience. There's not a lot they can do about it because the injury issue is one part luck and one part fighter circumstances.

I've read around the internet that some folks are suggesting fighters need to stop training so HARD and train SMART. That may be a focal point over the next few years, esp. if the injuries continue to pile up.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Cormier-Mir should be a solid fight. It'll test Cormier to see if he's really ready to go on a fast-tracked title shot path or if he needs more seasoning.

The UFC 149 card was a disaster. Most of the PPV fights were awful and the sheer number of replacement fights made it a tough sell even with a best-case-scenario...I actually regret paying to watch this card.

I hope the injury issue resolves itself because I feel like the UFC is wasting a lot of their current golden opportunity to really expand their audience. There's not a lot they can do about it because the injury issue is one part luck and one part fighter circumstances.

I've read around the internet that some folks are suggesting fighters need to stop training so HARD and train SMART. That may be a focal point over the next few years, esp. if the injuries continue to pile up.
It's combo of things. Some guys are training too hard, some guys just won't fight if they are injured, then you have the new insurance.

Anyone get the transcript of Nelson-Carwin from twitter? Apparently they were going at it.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Evil Ernie

UFC 149 was the worst PPV ever.

calgary keeps infected stuff with their suckiness...

Old
07-29-2012, 08:01 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
It's combo of things. Some guys are training too hard, some guys just won't fight if they are injured, then you have the new insurance.

Anyone get the transcript of Nelson-Carwin from twitter? Apparently they were going at it.
I'm okay with guys not fighting injured, even if it means an upswing in replacements...but the number of injuries to guys up and down the roster AND the big increase in the number of cards has really thinned the talent pool right out.

Closed Thread