HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I'm okay with guys not fighting injured, even if it means an upswing in replacements...but the number of injuries to guys up and down the roster AND the big increase in the number of cards has really thinned the talent pool right out.
I agree. There have already been 18 cards this year and we're only at the end of July. There were 26 in 2011. Every event is such a huge money maker that there is no way they'll slow down but if they could get down to just 10-15 a year, there would be a lot more buzz around every card...and for good reason too. Every card would be stacked.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I agree. There have already been 18 cards this year and we're only at the end of July. There were 26 in 2011. Every event is such a huge money maker that there is no way they'll slow down but if they could get down to just 10-15 a year, there would be a lot more buzz around every card...and for good reason too. Every card would be stacked.
I don't see a big problem with it. Yeah there can be a few no names on cards, but i don't watch MMA for the names. There are enogh skilled fighters out there to make stuff interesting. The best will still fight the best, and the rest is just gravy. As long as there are two big fights every card i think the UFC is sitting pretty.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:26 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I don't see a big problem with it. Yeah there can be a few no names on cards, but i don't watch MMA for the names. There are enogh skilled fighters out there to make stuff interesting. The best will still fight the best, and the rest is just gravy. As long as there are two big fights every card i think the UFC is sitting pretty.
That's you though, there are a lot of people that do watch it for the names. There are still a lot of people who've watched UFC for 10 years that skip the Featherweights and Bantamweights because they don't know who is fighting.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's you though, there are a lot of people that do watch it for the names. There are still a lot of people who've watched UFC for 10 years that skip the Featherweights and Bantamweights because they don't know who is fighting.
It's not about the names for me so much as the quality. If you're constantly having to snatch up a regional fighter to fill in the gaps in a card, or having the outright downgrade the quality of a PPV card to below that of one of the free cable-tv cards then that is a serious issue.

149 was one of those cards. If it didn't have the Bantamweight Interim belt up for grabs it barely would have been worth an FX slot, and that has to do with the talent on the card.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
It's not about the names for me so much as the quality. If you're constantly having to snatch up a regional fighter to fill in the gaps in a card, or having the outright downgrade the quality of a PPV card to below that of one of the free cable-tv cards then that is a serious issue.

149 was one of those cards. If it didn't have the Bantamweight Interim belt up for grabs it barely would have been worth an FX slot, and that has to do with the talent on the card.
In all honesty is Ryan Jimmo on the card if this wasn't in Canada? Sometimes regional fighters can bring some flash to the card. Jimmo himself said he took a big risk and went aggressive because there was 65k on the line. I'm sure other regional guys try the same.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
In all honesty is Ryan Jimmo on the card if this wasn't in Canada? Sometimes regional fighters can bring some flash to the card. Jimmo himself said he took a big risk and went aggressive because there was 65k on the line. I'm sure other regional guys try the same.
Sometimes those regional guys are a great addition to a card, but I really don't think Jimmo'd have a sniff unless it was an Alberta card...

Old
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Well UFC on Fox this weekend looks pretty decent, especially considering it's free.

Shogun really needs a good performance this weekend. Don't think he's on the verge of being cut, but if he ever wants back into the LHW title contention he needs to destroy Vera.

Machida vs. Bader is the main one for me though. Really big fight for both guys. Still don't know what to make of Bader as I don't really count the Jackson fight, but he's shown promise in the past. As for Machida it wasn't that long ago that people thought he was going to hold the belt for a long time.

Lauzon-Varner is another good one, two guys that finish fights. 7 of Lauzon's last 9 fights also gave him submission or fight of the night.

Cole Miller on the card as well, when the heck was this?

Old
07-30-2012, 02:39 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well UFC on Fox this weekend looks pretty decent, especially considering it's free.

Shogun really needs a good performance this weekend. Don't think he's on the verge of being cut, but if he ever wants back into the LHW title contention he needs to destroy Vera.

Machida vs. Bader is the main one for me though. Really big fight for both guys. Still don't know what to make of Bader as I don't really count the Jackson fight, but he's shown promise in the past. As for Machida it wasn't that long ago that people thought he was going to hold the belt for a long time.

Lauzon-Varner is another good one, two guys that finish fights. 7 of Lauzon's last 9 fights also gave him submission or fight of the night.

Cole Miller on the card as well, when the heck was this?
Dana said the winner of Shogun and Vera gets the next title fight, not sure what Vera has done lately to deserve that but I suspect he'll get killed by Shogun anyway.

Pulling for Bader over Machida, not sure he'll be able to do it but he's got my support.

Ditto for Varner, mostly because that might set him up for a shot at Cowboy Cerrone next. Apparently those two have a feud going that dates back to the old WEC days. Cowboy is one of my top 3 favorite fighters...(behind Rory and whoever is fighting either of the Diaz brothers)

Old
07-31-2012, 12:40 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

lauzon is severly underrated imo, the beating he put on gabe rudiger was heartless.

as a huge shogun fan i hope he mops vera like the 2nd forrest fight

Old
08-18-2012, 05:30 PM
dopeschemes

Strikeforce fights

Anyone know of any bars in Edmonton that show it? I called O2's, brewhouse and tilted kilt. None of them show it.

Old
08-18-2012, 05:47 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeschemes View Post
Anyone know of any bars in Edmonton that show it? I called O2's, brewhouse and tilted kilt. None of them show it.
Did you try Boston Pizza? I don't see it advertised over here but it couldn't hurt..

Old
08-18-2012, 06:51 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
lauzon is severly underrated imo, the beating he put on gabe rudiger was heartless.

as a huge shogun fan i hope he mops vera like the 2nd forrest fight
Lauzon would be in title contention except for being caught against Pettis. You can't really gauge a fight like that because it was like a minute long. He has the best killer instinct in the game, he hurts someone at all and he finishes them.

Can't wait to see Sarah Kaufman knock the smug out of Rousey tonight.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeschemes View Post
Not shocked to be honest. Doesn't seem like Women's MMA is all that big in Edmonton.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i was on the fence with liking rousey or not but as soon as i heard her call cyborg Guyborg she had me, shes awesome........for a girl fighter lol

Old
08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
joestevens29

Wow, I was looking forward to this match too.

UFC 151 has been cancelled after light heavyweight contender Dan Henderson was sidelined with a knee injury and champion Jon Jones declined a replacement fight with Chael Sonnen.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement Thursday, scrapping a major card for the first time in his 11 years in charge of mixed martial arts' dominant promotion.

UFC 151 was scheduled for Sept. 1 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

White is furious with Jones and his trainer, Greg Jackson, for declining a replacement bout with Sonnen, the former 185-pound contender who agreed to move up in weight with eight days' notice. White says Jones is the first UFC champion ever to turn down a match.

Jones has agreed to fight former champion Lyoto Machida on Sept. 22 in Toronto.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Why would he turn down a match against Sonnen?

Old
08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Musashi

jones just screwed a lot of fighters and people out of money

if bisping can fight chael on 8 days notice, why can't the lhw champ

Old
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Why would he turn down a match against Sonnen?
I'd say he wants more time to prepare.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:59 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post

Probably because Bisping needs to take fights like that.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'd say he wants more time to prepare.
That's what I'd assume too, but I still think JBJ wins easily.

Quote:
Probably because Bisping needs to take fights like that.
Exactly.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:

Yeah, that's brutal. Lots of people travel big distances to see these fights.

I guess they learned their lesson from the Calgary fiasco.

I'm shocked Jones didn't jump at the chance to shut Sonnen up.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:10 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That's what I'd assume too, but I still think JBJ wins easily.

Exactly.
He probably does, but doesn't want to take that chance. How many champs in the past have taken a different opponent 8 days from fight night?

Dana might be pissed, but that's his fault. If he would've had a decent co-main event you probably could add Sonnen-??? and still have a card.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Musashi

dana seems to be pretty pissed at jones and called greg jackson a sport killer haha

and Jon Jones just finished a full camp preparing for a way more dangerous fighter then Chael, how can he not be prepared? He also just finished saying how he didnt want to fight machida because it was his lowest drawing ppv and he wants big money fights which is exactly what fighting Chael would be, but now hes opted to fight Machida a month later.. I'm beyond confused

Old
08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
dana seems to be pretty pissed at jones and called greg jackson a sport killer haha

and Jon Jones just finished a full camp preparing for a way more dangerous fighter then Chael, how can he not be prepared? He also just finished saying how he didnt want to fight machida because it was his lowest drawing ppv and he wants big money fights which is exactly what fighting Chael would be, but now hes opted to fight Machida a month later.. I'm beyond confused

Stupid Dana. Greg Jackson a sport killer? It's stuff like that the makes me cringe and wish Dana would just stay behind close doors and shut the **** u p.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
He probably does, but doesn't want to take that chance. How many champs in the past have taken a different opponent 8 days from fight night?

Dana might be pissed, but that's his fault. If he would've had a decent co-main event you probably could add Sonnen-??? and still have a card.
Ellenberger vs Koscheck was supposed to be the co-main until Kos got hurt. The other 3 fights are terrible...Calgary'esque.

-Dennis Siver (20-8) vs. Eddie Yagin (16-5-1)
-Dennis Hallman (51-14-2) vs. Thiago Tavares (17-4-1)
-John Lineker (19-6) vs. Yasuhiro Uru****ani (19-5-6)

Closed Thread