HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
What exactly was the Calgary debacle? Were the actual fights just terrible or what?

Old
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Stupid Dana. Greg Jackson a sport killer? It's stuff like that the makes me cringe and wish Dana would just stay behind close doors and shut the **** u p.
While I don't agree with Dana's comments on Jackson. I understand why he's choked at Jones for not taking the Sonnen fight.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Ellenberger vs Koscheck was supposed to be the co-main until Kos got hurt. The other 3 fights are terrible...Calgary'esque.

-Dennis Siver (20-8) vs. Eddie Yagin (16-5-1)
-Dennis Hallman (51-14-2) vs. Thiago Tavares (17-4-1)
-John Lineker (19-6) vs. Yasuhiro Uru****ani (19-5-6)
Two guys coming off loses, not exactly the best co-main event. Good fight, but not something that you are going to sell much off.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
What exactly was the Calgary debacle? Were the actual fights just terrible or what?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_149

Injury after injury and then the fights turned out to be crap.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:21 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
The PPV fights were awful (Faber vs Barao was average at best). The undercard was actually quite entertaining.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
While I don't agree with Dana's comments on Jackson. I understand why he's choked at Jones for not taking the Sonnen fight.
You can't expect your champions to take fight's on short notice. Sure he trained, but he trained for Henderson not Sonnen.

I've never heard any other combat sport make their stars do such a thing

Old
08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
oilers4life5

I am so dissapointed in Jones. Would have been an easy win to build his legacy and give the fans a fight card. Shame on you Jones shame on you!!

Old
08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Muad'Dib

Quote:
Calgary was a debacle for a couple of reasons. Firstly there was an unprecedented amount of injuries. Not one fight from the initially announced card made it to the event with both of the original opponents. Either one or both of the fighters from every fight ended up being injured and had to pull out. The most important of these injuries was to Jose Aldo which meant that there would be no title fight at the PPV. The next part of the debacle was that when Thiago Silva pulled out, Mauricio Shogun Rua refused to accepted the UFC's replacement and thus he was moved to a future card.

Despite these events, Dana White assured the fans that the event would still be entertaining and that there would be great fights. There were some great fights, it was just too bad that they were all on the Undercard. Every fight on the Main Card was a disappointment and left many of those who paid for tickets with a bad taste in their mouth.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Two guys coming off loses, not exactly the best co-main event. Good fight, but not something that you are going to sell much off.
Their last fights results don't dictate whether or not they make a good co-main. For some reason people still are drawn towards Koscheck so he tends to get a fair amount of hype, Ellenberger seems to put on good shows as well.

The biggest problem is there is absolutely no-one else on the card worth watching. Dana put all his eggs in the Jones basket and when that fight cratered, he was screwed.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Muad'Dib

The big issue is the amount of people that were screwed over by this move.

Joe Lauzon:
Quote:
Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc... but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc... and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

I have always been a big Jon Jones supporter... but I would be FURIOUS if this happenned to me and I was on the card. To call is scorched earth wouldn't do it justice.
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-at-Jon-Jones/

Charlie Brenneman ‏@SpaniardMMA:
Quote:
@jonnybones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks. @ufc

Old
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
You can't expect your champions to take fight's on short notice. Sure he trained, but he trained for Henderson not Sonnen.

I've never heard any other combat sport make their stars do such a thing
Sonnen is a much easier fight, no threat of a knockout punch, hasn't been training at all and is another wrestler. Jones and Sonnen are already in a pissing contest, it would've sold more PPV's than the original Henderson fight.

Jones is taking the Machida fight on 3 weeks notice now. A much more dangerous fighter but sadly a much worse draw. It's not like Jones has been sitting around eating Dorito's for the last 6 months, he's ready to fight now and just got spoon fed a much weaker opponent than his original matchup and a much larger pay day. He's making a mistake not taking this fight.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Their last fights results don't dictate whether or not they make a good co-main. For some reason people still are drawn towards Koscheck so he tends to get a fair amount of hype, Ellenberger seems to put on good shows as well.

The biggest problem is there is absolutely no-one else on the card worth watching. Dana put all his eggs in the Jones basket and when that fight cratered, he was screwed.
Exactly, its understandable why Jones didnt want to fight a new fighter on 8 days notice but the ufc needed a big favor from him to save the ppv and he refused to help them and screwed a lot of ppl over. Its too bad considering Jon prepared for Dan and Chael is a similar fighter except being far less dangerous.

But if Dana didnt count on the Jones Henderson fight to sell the ppv and built a strong card, this card could of been salvaged

Old
08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
joestevens29

I guess next time these guys shouldn't sign up for a fight when the card is crap.

I wonder why the UFC didn't just go ahead and make this a non-ppv event? Compensate ticket holders and be done with?

Old
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Sonnen is a much easier fight, no threat of a knockout punch, hasn't been training at all and is another wrestler. Jones and Sonnen are already in a pissing contest, it would've sold more PPV's than the original Henderson fight.

Jones is taking the Machida fight on 3 weeks notice now. A much more dangerous fighter but sadly a much worse draw. It's not like Jones has been sitting around eating Dorito's for the last 6 months, he's ready to fight now and just got spoon fed a much weaker opponent than his original matchup and a much larger pay day. He's making a mistake not taking this fight.
Again name me any other combat sport where the champ would have to do this?

Sonnen is a south paw is he not? Henderson isn't. Sonnen also had Silva on the ropes in their first fight, so you have to take him serious.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:46 PM
joestevens29

One good thing for the UFC. 152 has more selling power now. There's another card that was one fight away from being garbage.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Bushwick Bill

Funny how the last ppv main event in Toronto was Jones vs Machida

Old
08-23-2012, 02:52 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:

Sonnen is a south paw is he not? Henderson isn't. Sonnen also had Silva on the ropes in their first fight, so you have to take him serious.
It's not about "having" to do anything. It's about looking at the big picture and doing what's best for everyone, not just himself. And by everyone I don't mean Dana, I mean the other fighters on the card that won't get a payday and all the fans that made arrangements to come to the fights.

It makes absolutely zero difference what hand Sonnen is. He doesn't have enough power in both of them combined to knockout Jones. He's no threat to Jones championship.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:

Not exactly similar, but pride and most recently k-1 had grand prix tournaments, where you were expected to fight whoever won which included their champions.. Although you did know what you were signing up for when entering the grand prix

Old
08-23-2012, 03:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
It's not about "having" to do anything. It's about looking at the big picture and doing what's best for everyone, not just himself. And by everyone I don't mean Dana, I mean the other fighters on the card that won't get a payday and all the fans that made arrangements to come to the fights.

It makes absolutely zero difference what hand Sonnen is. He doesn't have enough power in both of them combined to knockout Jones. He's no threat to Jones championship.
I'm putting this all on Dana not the guy who got shafted because the guy he was suppose to fight got injured.

Dana is becoming like Bettman, expanding too much and not caring about anything other than a ****ing TV deal. Years past he would've been able to take a fight from the next card and make this card go, but the cards now are so watered down that he can't do it.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
I'm putting this all on Dana not the guy who got shafted because the guy he was suppose to fight got injured.

Dana is becoming like Bettman, expanding too much and not caring about anything other than a ****ing TV deal. Years past he would've been able to take a fight from the next card and make this card go, but the cards now are so watered down that he can't do it.
This I can agree with.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

you cant really compare hendo to sonnen. hendo is better at every single part of the game than sonnen. bones would even have to worry about sonnens striking because he wouldnt be able to hit him and if he did he doesnt have any power anyway.

bones ducked period and he deserves all the heat he is getting from fans

check @jonnyBones for some laughs, the fans are angry

Old
08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Eskimo44

If Jones really believes he's the best pound for pound then he should have taken this fight no questions. It's not like Sonnen has been training for him either. Jeez talk about pussing out. I liked Jones but the longer he's been champ the more he seems to do things that just rub me the wrong way, like turning down a reasonable match. I don't understand why White doesn't threaten to strip him of the title (maybe he can't?)... Too much prima dona **** happening in MMA, imagine if you told these guys they had to do an original tournament style UFC event. Those guys had no idea who they were fighting next, all they had was confidence in their own abilities and no fear. Take the fear out of MMA and stop letting the fighters decide who and when they fight, we don't need boxing style ducking of opponents. If i was White i'd be so pissed i'd force him to fight Silva if he beats Machida, it's what everybody wants anyways.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
you cant really compare hendo to sonnen. hendo is better at every single part of the game than sonnen. bones would even have to worry about sonnens striking because he wouldnt be able to hit him and if he did he doesnt have any power anyway.

bones ducked period and he deserves all the heat he is getting from fans

check @jonnyBones for some laughs, the fans are angry
Sonnen has a huge cardio advantage over Hendo and I still think his wrestling has translated to mma better than Hendo's greco roman

Old
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

yep all bones had to do was say, I'll take the fight but give me $150k more. he didnt now he looks like a coward ducking someone the weightclass under him. it was a poor move and dana is right to call him out on it and also greg jackson because that guy is a ******* as well

Old
08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
If Jones really believes he's the best pound for pound then he should have taken this fight no questions. It's not like Sonnen has been training for him either. Jeez talk about pussing out. I liked Jones but the longer he's been champ the more he seems to do things that just rub me the wrong way, like turning down a reasonable match. I don't understand why White doesn't threaten to strip him of the title (maybe he can't?)... Too much prima dona **** happening in MMA, imagine if you told these guys they had to do an original tournament style UFC event. Those guys had no idea who they were fighting next, all they had was confidence in their own abilities and no fear. Take the fear out of MMA and stop letting the fighters decide who and when they fight, we don't need boxing style ducking of opponents. If i was White i'd be so pissed i'd force him to fight Silva if he beats Machida, it's what everybody wants anyways.
Ya lets try run one of the best MMA fighters in the world out of the UFA, that will teach him.

Closed Thread