HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2012, 09:21 AM
  #1001
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quite the fight this past Saturday. Kinda shocked at how aggressive GSP was, especially coming back from injury. While he dominated this fight, Condit made it interesting.

Wonder what is next for Hendricks. Have to think he's next to fight GSP, unless that superfight between GSP and Silva goes through.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
  #1002
Cam98
Registered User
 
Cam98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Quite the fight this past Saturday. Kinda shocked at how aggressive GSP was, especially coming back from injury. While he dominated this fight, Condit made it interesting.

Wonder what is next for Hendricks. Have to think he's next to fight GSP, unless that superfight between GSP and Silva goes through.
superfight wont happen, you can tell by GSP words he doesn't want to do the fight. I don't blame him, i would rather see Silva vs Jones... Silva has fought 3 times in light heavy weight, so makes sense for that fight rather then GSP and Silva as GSP has never jumped up a weight class.

Cam98 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
  #1003
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 50
hendricks is like a young smaller version of dan henderson. scary power for that weight class.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
  #1004
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Watching that fight I just feel GSP is way to small for Silva. Condit looked a lot bigger than Georges and gave him a hell of a fight. Could GSP take Silva down? Probably but I think Silvas guard is better than Condits. I also think GSP would be put to sleep if anything landed like Condit did. Only way I see that fight happening is if Silva cuts to 173-174. Zahabi wants the fight at 170.

Hendricks looked great. The issue is I havent seen him tested enough to feel like he could really hang in there with GSP. I say Hendricks and Condit go at it first.

Im really looking forward to Diaz-Henderson. That fight is going to be a barn burner. I am really hoping Diaz submits him.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
  #1005
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Watching that fight I just feel GSP is way to small for Silva. Condit looked a lot bigger than Georges and gave him a hell of a fight. Could GSP take Silva down? Probably but I think Silvas guard is better than Condits. I also think GSP would be put to sleep if anything landed like Condit did. Only way I see that fight happening is if Silva cuts to 173-174. Zahabi wants the fight at 170.

Hendricks looked great. The issue is I havent seen him tested enough to feel like he could really hang in there with GSP. I say Hendricks and Condit go at it first.

Im really looking forward to Diaz-Henderson. That fight is going to be a barn burner. I am really hoping Diaz submits him.
I agree on GSP, but I don't know what is left for him if he doesn't fight Silva. I guess he could move up and fight Sonnen. Battle of the polite against the loud mouth.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
  #1006
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I agree on GSP, but I don't know what is left for him if he doesn't fight Silva. I guess he could move up and fight Sonnen. Battle of the polite against the loud mouth.
GSP still has Hendricks and Diaz for sure. Possible future fights with Damien Maia or a rematch with Fitch (who looked good against Silva)

Guys who could rebound and possibly challenge in a year or two: Ellenberger, Kampmann and of course the rematch with Condit.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  #1007
Bushwick Bill
Registered User
 
Bushwick Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hendricks is like a young smaller version of dan henderson. scary power for that weight class.
Hendro

Bushwick Bill is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 12:52 PM
  #1008
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
GSP still has Hendricks and Diaz for sure. Possible future fights with Damien Maia or a rematch with Fitch (who looked good against Silva)

Guys who could rebound and possibly challenge in a year or two: Ellenberger, Kampmann and of course the rematch with Condit.
I doubt he goes into too many re-matches. All those names are pretty bland for a rematch other than Hendricks and Diaz.And even then by the time GSP is ready to fight is Diaz going to be? The guy seems to be a mess.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
  #1009
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
If Demian Meia fights GSP his only chance is too pull guard. Thing is if he does I can see him submitting anyone.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
  #1010
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If Demian Meia fights GSP his only chance is too pull guard. Thing is if he does I can see him submitting anyone.
Kind of like his fight with Silva. He couldn't get him to the ground and was absolutely lost on his feet...that being said, if he gets ahold of someone, lookout...he's a big for a welterweight.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
  #1011
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I doubt he goes into too many re-matches. All those names are pretty bland for a rematch other than Hendricks and Diaz.And even then by the time GSP is ready to fight is Diaz going to be? The guy seems to be a mess.
Diaz is an idiot, probably wouldn't show up anyway.

As good as the fight Saturday was, I'd be alright with a Condit fight in a couple years....after Condit gives Rory a rematch.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
  #1012
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 50
GSP would destroy damian maia, hendricks is the only one i can see beating gsp, mostly because he has freak power and elite wrestling.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 02:11 PM
  #1013
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
GSP would destroy damian maia, hendricks is the only one i can see beating gsp, mostly because he has freak power and elite wrestling.
I agree on both counts.

I'm suggesting Maia will get a title shot IF he beats Fitch and say another top 5WW...say, Kampmann?

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
  #1014
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I agree on both counts.

I'm suggesting Maia will get a title shot IF he beats Fitch and say another top 5WW...say, Kampmann?
I love the options at WW right now. Fitch-Meia is a sick fight. So is Diaz-Meia.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
  #1015
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
GSP would destroy damian maia, hendricks is the only one i can see beating gsp, mostly because he has freak power and elite wrestling.
I disagree, while Hendricks has looked good, alot of WW fighters have looked good leading to their fight with GSP.. His Striking is very mediocre, he does have great power however, but I think he would get picked apart, very similar to the Koscheck fight! I would love to see a Hendricks/Condit fight mind you!

PepsiFiend is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
  #1016
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If Demian Meia fights GSP his only chance is too pull guard. Thing is if he does I can see him submitting anyone.
If GSP every tried to use a can opener on Maia like he did with Condit he'd find his arm broken in a hurry. Maia's BJJ is probably the 2nd best for MMA next to Vinny Magalhes.

The one thing that Saturday reminded me though, is how bad GSP's face swells up when he gets hit at all. He so rarely gets tagged that noone thinks about it, but man, he looked like he was in a complete war after that fight. Sure it was a good scrap, but his face made it look like it was a stand up barn burner.

molsonmuscle360 is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
  #1017
Bushwick Bill
Registered User
 
Bushwick Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
dont forget about marquardt

Bushwick Bill is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
  #1018
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.

Neilio is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
  #1019
Bushwick Bill
Registered User
 
Bushwick Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.
I don't agree man. He's coming off wins over fitch, who was the consensus #2 guy for what seems like forever and was the only guy to finish him in the ufc, koscheck who was been a top 10 WW for a long time now and has fought gsp twice, and kampmann who just finished fighters like alves and ellenburger and really hadn't had a clear cut loss in 3 years. Not even Paul Daley who landed like 5 flush hooks on Kampmann could put him away and Johnny did that with one shot.

When you look at how guys like hardy, shields, and koscheck got their title shots it's not even close to what hendricks has done in his past 3. The only thing that should be standing in his way is the potential fight of anderson and gsp.

Love diaz but how does he deserve a fight with Johnny?

Bushwick Bill is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.