HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 09:21 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quite the fight this past Saturday. Kinda shocked at how aggressive GSP was, especially coming back from injury. While he dominated this fight, Condit made it interesting.

Wonder what is next for Hendricks. Have to think he's next to fight GSP, unless that superfight between GSP and Silva goes through.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Cam98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Quite the fight this past Saturday. Kinda shocked at how aggressive GSP was, especially coming back from injury. While he dominated this fight, Condit made it interesting.

Wonder what is next for Hendricks. Have to think he's next to fight GSP, unless that superfight between GSP and Silva goes through.
superfight wont happen, you can tell by GSP words he doesn't want to do the fight. I don't blame him, i would rather see Silva vs Jones... Silva has fought 3 times in light heavy weight, so makes sense for that fight rather then GSP and Silva as GSP has never jumped up a weight class.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
hendricks is like a young smaller version of dan henderson. scary power for that weight class.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
bsmith14

Watching that fight I just feel GSP is way to small for Silva. Condit looked a lot bigger than Georges and gave him a hell of a fight. Could GSP take Silva down? Probably but I think Silvas guard is better than Condits. I also think GSP would be put to sleep if anything landed like Condit did. Only way I see that fight happening is if Silva cuts to 173-174. Zahabi wants the fight at 170.

Hendricks looked great. The issue is I havent seen him tested enough to feel like he could really hang in there with GSP. I say Hendricks and Condit go at it first.

Im really looking forward to Diaz-Henderson. That fight is going to be a barn burner. I am really hoping Diaz submits him.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Watching that fight I just feel GSP is way to small for Silva. Condit looked a lot bigger than Georges and gave him a hell of a fight. Could GSP take Silva down? Probably but I think Silvas guard is better than Condits. I also think GSP would be put to sleep if anything landed like Condit did. Only way I see that fight happening is if Silva cuts to 173-174. Zahabi wants the fight at 170.

Hendricks looked great. The issue is I havent seen him tested enough to feel like he could really hang in there with GSP. I say Hendricks and Condit go at it first.

Im really looking forward to Diaz-Henderson. That fight is going to be a barn burner. I am really hoping Diaz submits him.
I agree on GSP, but I don't know what is left for him if he doesn't fight Silva. I guess he could move up and fight Sonnen. Battle of the polite against the loud mouth.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
I agree on GSP, but I don't know what is left for him if he doesn't fight Silva. I guess he could move up and fight Sonnen. Battle of the polite against the loud mouth.
GSP still has Hendricks and Diaz for sure. Possible future fights with Damien Maia or a rematch with Fitch (who looked good against Silva)

Guys who could rebound and possibly challenge in a year or two: Ellenberger, Kampmann and of course the rematch with Condit.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hendricks is like a young smaller version of dan henderson. scary power for that weight class.
Hendro

Old
11-21-2012, 12:52 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
GSP still has Hendricks and Diaz for sure. Possible future fights with Damien Maia or a rematch with Fitch (who looked good against Silva)

Guys who could rebound and possibly challenge in a year or two: Ellenberger, Kampmann and of course the rematch with Condit.
I doubt he goes into too many re-matches. All those names are pretty bland for a rematch other than Hendricks and Diaz.And even then by the time GSP is ready to fight is Diaz going to be? The guy seems to be a mess.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
bsmith14

If Demian Meia fights GSP his only chance is too pull guard. Thing is if he does I can see him submitting anyone.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
If Demian Meia fights GSP his only chance is too pull guard. Thing is if he does I can see him submitting anyone.
Kind of like his fight with Silva. He couldn't get him to the ground and was absolutely lost on his feet...that being said, if he gets ahold of someone, lookout...he's a big for a welterweight.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
I doubt he goes into too many re-matches. All those names are pretty bland for a rematch other than Hendricks and Diaz.And even then by the time GSP is ready to fight is Diaz going to be? The guy seems to be a mess.
Diaz is an idiot, probably wouldn't show up anyway.

As good as the fight Saturday was, I'd be alright with a Condit fight in a couple years....after Condit gives Rory a rematch.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

GSP would destroy damian maia, hendricks is the only one i can see beating gsp, mostly because he has freak power and elite wrestling.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:11 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
GSP would destroy damian maia, hendricks is the only one i can see beating gsp, mostly because he has freak power and elite wrestling.
I agree on both counts.

I'm suggesting Maia will get a title shot IF he beats Fitch and say another top 5WW...say, Kampmann?

Old
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I agree on both counts.

I'm suggesting Maia will get a title shot IF he beats Fitch and say another top 5WW...say, Kampmann?
I love the options at WW right now. Fitch-Meia is a sick fight. So is Diaz-Meia.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
I disagree, while Hendricks has looked good, alot of WW fighters have looked good leading to their fight with GSP.. His Striking is very mediocre, he does have great power however, but I think he would get picked apart, very similar to the Koscheck fight! I would love to see a Hendricks/Condit fight mind you!

Old
11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
If GSP every tried to use a can opener on Maia like he did with Condit he'd find his arm broken in a hurry. Maia's BJJ is probably the 2nd best for MMA next to Vinny Magalhes.

The one thing that Saturday reminded me though, is how bad GSP's face swells up when he gets hit at all. He so rarely gets tagged that noone thinks about it, but man, he looked like he was in a complete war after that fight. Sure it was a good scrap, but his face made it look like it was a stand up barn burner.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Bushwick Bill

dont forget about marquardt

Old
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.
I don't agree man. He's coming off wins over fitch, who was the consensus #2 guy for what seems like forever and was the only guy to finish him in the ufc, koscheck who was been a top 10 WW for a long time now and has fought gsp twice, and kampmann who just finished fighters like alves and ellenburger and really hadn't had a clear cut loss in 3 years. Not even Paul Daley who landed like 5 flush hooks on Kampmann could put him away and Johnny did that with one shot.

When you look at how guys like hardy, shields, and koscheck got their title shots it's not even close to what hendricks has done in his past 3. The only thing that should be standing in his way is the potential fight of anderson and gsp.

Love diaz but how does he deserve a fight with Johnny?

Closed Thread