Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Blow Up the Team"

Old
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I agree with Jarick but i don't think Schultz will be one of the "shake up" guys. If you don't notice him out there on fire or dominating in any facet of the game you don't really notice him being lazy or taking nights off, either. He is solid. Very few ups or downs and I think he has a bigger impact on the team than anyone gives him credit for in that you know what kind of game he's going to bring every night and you can count on that when you're deciding where to throw him. With the rest of our defense you never can tell. edit: i think i called him Vanilla at the beginning of the year and it still fits. Vanilla might seem plain, but you can mix it with a bunch of stuff and it does have significant effect on the flavor.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Even if the team decided to rebuild, I doubt Schultz will be traded. He's not going to bring back much and he's not an old player at the end of his contract. Despite being on the Wild since forever, he's only 28 and signed to a long-term contract. His cap hit, while completely reasonable, makes him slightly harder to move, as there is little cap space these days.

Zannon is much more likely to be moved in my opinion. He's cap hit is more moveable, and he'd fit perfectly in a playoff team's bottom-pairing. And he's also be more replaceable with guys like Falk, Stoner, and Scandella.

Of course I am bias.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice flavor analogy!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Even if the team decided to rebuild, I doubt Schultz will be traded. He's not going to bring back much and he's not an old player at the end of his contract. Despite being on the Wild since forever, he's only 28 and signed to a long-term contract. His cap hit, while completely reasonable, makes him slightly harder to move, as there is little cap space these days.

Zannon is much more likely to be moved in my opinion. He's cap hit is more moveable, and he'd fit perfectly in a playoff team's bottom-pairing. And he's also be more replaceable with guys like Falk, Stoner, and Scandella.

Of course I am bias.
You are but I agree with your take. Few teams are going to want to give up what Fletcher would want for Schultz due to the length of his contract and skillset. While there are a couple other options (Barker and Burns even though no one including me wants to hear the latter), Zanon can fetch enough interest and be replaceable enough to make it worth our while.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I

Also, is it really a great idea to give an injury proned Gagne, who's on the wrong side of 30, a contract worth $5-$6 per year? If this were the play, I'd rather just pay an extra $1-$2 for Semin, who is younger and better.
I would love to have Semin here but convincing him is another story.

Quote:
You have Bouchard rotting on the 3rd line with Brodziak and Eaves?
Too many playmakers, not enough shooters. Unless Bouchard or another winger decides to move right, Bouchard is stuck as depth.

Quote:
Why are you assuming Granlund is going to walk onto this team and slot right down onto the first line?
Given his skill set and his abilities, I think having Koivu there would help him.

Quote:
Player X - Koivu - Bouchard
Latendresse - Brodziak - Havlat
Clutterbuck - Cullen - O'Sullivan
Nystrom - Almond - Staubitz/Kassian

(none of those players (except POS, ~$1) are going add to next year's salary cap)
That's not bad. (You forgot Sheppard :p)

Quote:
And our D is set, no additions are necessary, unless Barker is unloaded, and in that case, money is most likely saved anyway because he would/should be replaced by Scandella/Falk.
Defense is set and that's why I think unloading Barker is smart. You don't pay a guy 3 million to be your 5th, 6th or 7th defenseman.

Quote:
2011 Cap Space (assuming Barker is still here): $8.9
After POS & a BU goalie: ~$6
Cap is expected to rise, probably by $1-$3
2011 Cap Space: $7-$10

Unloading Barker is more than enough to create enough room to make an offer at a good scorer. And we get to keep our Vezina-nominated goalie.
BTW we forgot to factor in Koivu's raise for next year. Which is another 3.5 million I believe.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote