HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nathan MacKinnon (2013 draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
  #1
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Nathan MacKinnon (2013 draft)

this video is mostly interview but shows some clips of him playing, you can mostly see his speed and quick decision making in the clips.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyIfg2OfONM

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 02:54 PM
  #2
turchi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Probably the first of many interviews Nathan will be doing over the next few years. For the many of us who have been watching Nathan dominate at every level he has played, we look forward to him being drafted high in the upcoming Q draft. With his skill and intensity, it will be enjoyable to see him challenged by the older and stronger players in the Q. No doubt, he will raise the level of his play again to be successful.

turchi is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
  #3
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Do any of you know what his stats with SSM are this year? Thanks.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
  #4
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Do any of you know what his stats with SSM are this year? Thanks.
http://www.ssmsports.org/hockey/team...boys-u16-stats

One kid on that team has 70 points in 25 games.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
  #5
Hanson95
Registered User
 
Hanson95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Is Anthony Brodeur one of Martin's kids? Because he's born in NJ...

Hanson95 is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
  #6
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson95 View Post
Is Anthony Brodeur one of Martin's kids? Because he's born in NJ...
Yes he is.

Canuck71 is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 02:00 AM
  #7
CAPiTA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Whats this kid's ceiling? Comparable to who?

CAPiTA is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
  #8
Hanson95
Registered User
 
Hanson95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Yes he is.
Any good? Like an NHL shot at all?

Hanson95 is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
  #9
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
I'm not the person to ask, I just know that he is indeed Martin Brodeurs son and he must be a pretty good goalie if he's an underager on a very good '94 Shattuck team.

Canuck71 is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 01:00 PM
  #10
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Would like to watch this guy play at the U17's. I hope Atlantic makes it to the finals so I can watch on TSN.

Leviathan is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
  #11
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!
 
BobbyRyan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Would like to watch this guy play at the U17's. I hope Atlantic makes it to the finals so I can watch on TSN.
I'm going to make an effort to catch Quebec vs. Atlantic in the group stage, but the online feed might suck. It would be nice if Team Atlantic did make it all the way to the finals, but I have a feeling they won't. They do have a good roster though, so you never know.

BobbyRyan9 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 02:30 AM
  #12
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Nathan MacKinnon

Looks like he had a great game tonite at the U17? Can anyone comment on his play so far?

He is an underage I believe?

HabLover is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:07 AM
  #13
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Looks like he had a great game tonite at the U17? Can anyone comment on his play so far?

He is an underage I believe?
Scoutman1 is in love with the guy.

windflare is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:36 AM
  #14
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
^^^That's all I know too.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 08:16 AM
  #15
turchi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Scoutman1 is 100% correct with his support of MacKinnon. This kid has always raised his game up to and above the level of play on the ice. Here is a 95 born player that is competing and having success playing with the best 94 born players in the world.

turchi is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 08:37 AM
  #16
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Heard he's pretty awesome by scoutman1

Vasilevskiy is online now  
Old
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
  #17
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!
 
BobbyRyan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 972
vCash: 500
Scoutman1 is the guy to talk to, but I did watch MacKinnon play a few days ago in a U17 game. As a 15 year old on a team of mostly 16 year old QMJHL players, he was taking the majority of key faceoffs. He looked solid in all three zones. Wasn't lazy in the defensive end, blasts through the neutral area, and he puts his skills to good use in the offensive zone. In the game watched I would have liked to see him do a bit more away from the puck in terms of creating offense, but he mostly got setup for a one timer in the left circle dot, much like Stamkos does. There was one instance though towards the end of the game when he basically took matters into his own hand and created his own scoring opportunity to earn a goal. He battled hard down low for the puck and then he drove it to the net and converted on it. That says a lot, especially when he is only 15, like I mentioned before. There were guys like Ciampini on the other side of the ice, who could go as high as the top ten in the 2012 draft. Basically, this kid has got size, speed, and offensive skill, which as you can imagine, makes him a dominant forward. He could become one of the next, but rare, NHL power forwards. Should be interesting to see how he does next season in the QMJHL. I would have to imagine he'd be one of the top, if not the best 16 year old in the league. We'll see if he wants to go to Baie-Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda, or if something can be arranged, a team like Halifax.

BobbyRyan9 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
  #18
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 View Post
Scoutman1 is the guy to talk to, but I did watch MacKinnon play a few days ago in a U17 game. As a 15 year old on a team of mostly 16 year old QMJHL players, he was taking the majority of key faceoffs. He looked solid in all three zones. Wasn't lazy in the defensive end, blasts through the neutral area, and he puts his skills to good use in the offensive zone. In the game watched I would have liked to see him do a bit more away from the puck in terms of creating offense, but he mostly got setup for a one timer in the left circle dot, much like Stamkos does. There was one instance though towards the end of the game when he basically took matters into his own hand and created his own scoring opportunity to earn a goal. He battled hard down low for the puck and then he drove it to the net and converted on it. That says a lot, especially when he is only 15, like I mentioned before. There were guys like Ciampini on the other side of the ice, who could go as high as the top ten in the 2012 draft. Basically, this kid has got size, speed, and offensive skill, which as you can imagine, makes him a dominant forward. He could become one of the next, but rare, NHL power forwards. Should be interesting to see how he does next season in the QMJHL. I would have to imagine he'd be one of the top, if not the best 16 year old in the league. We'll see if he wants to go to Baie-Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda, or if something can be arranged, a team like Halifax.
Rimouski is stock piling 1st rd picks as to make a push to deal up...they already have 3 1st rd picks and they are rumoured to be getting another one, but this time a top 5 pick...so they are looking to trade up to #1...

I dont think he ends up in BaC or RN but whichever of those 2 teams wins the coin-flip will basically auction off the pick to the highest bidder and as it stands now about 5-6 teams would be front and centre on that bidding war, Rimouski, Halifax, Saint John, Moncton, Quebec...basically the larger market teams.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
  #19
byrone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prince Edward Island
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Rimouski is stock piling 1st rd picks as to make a push to deal up...they already have 3 1st rd picks and they are rumoured to be getting another one, but this time a top 5 pick...so they are looking to trade up to #1...

I dont think he ends up in BaC or RN but whichever of those 2 teams wins the coin-flip will basically auction off the pick to the highest bidder and as it stands now about 5-6 teams would be front and centre on that bidding war, Rimouski, Halifax, Saint John, Moncton, Quebec...basically the larger market teams.

So CHSB is correct, the small market QMJHL teams are getting screwed.

byrone is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
  #20
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
So CHSB is correct, the small market QMJHL teams are getting screwed.
Not really...if either of those 2 teams wanted to they could drfat him and call his bluff...

But having 3-4 1st rd picks is pretty enticing...

CHSB likes to spout off about how small market teams are being hurt...well there are some small market teams who have done well because they are run properly with quality coaching and management...

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 05:18 PM
  #21
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
So CHSB is correct, the small market QMJHL teams are getting screwed.
Attracting top talent only usually requires two things: One) Calling their bluff and Two) Guaranteeing their school money if they don`t make it/get hurt.

Personally, I think that a 15 year-old that wants a guaranteed education is doing the smart thing. Just because some teams are too cheap to run the risk of having to pay a package doesn`t make it any less smart for the player.

Bjindaho is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
  #22
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,814
vCash: 500
Is it guarenteed that he's going to be the #1 pick in the QMJHL draft? It's hard to tell with this guy what is true and what is just fawning.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
  #23
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Is it guarenteed that he's going to be the #1 pick in the QMJHL draft? It's hard to tell with this guy what is true and what is just fawning.
Hes far and away the best player available...someone will trade up to get him.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  #24
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Is it guarenteed that he's going to be the #1 pick in the QMJHL draft? It's hard to tell with this guy what is true and what is just fawning.
do you mean me that it is hard to tell if im telling truth or just hyping?

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  #25
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Hes far and away the best player available...someone will trade up to get him.
wanna bet Rimouski ?

JeromeHP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.