HOH: Bruins look to make deal for a Dman with Dallas or Phoenix

Old
12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
LucicTrain*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFan98 View Post
I'd rather see what Kampfer can do first
i'd rather get Yandle and worry about what Kampfer can do later.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Trevor Daley would be my guess.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
I'll take Karlis Skrastins - a warrior and one of the most underrated shutdown d-man in the league.
we really cant afford to get any slower on the blueline

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
I'm guessing Lepisto or Niskanen. No way we're getting Yandle, as much as I'd love that.
I agree. Lepisto or Niskanen. Both have great mobility and nice offensive upside.

But I wonder about the cost?

I'd love to think we could get one of these guys for some combination of Stuart/Paille because as MMB pointed out in his Niskanen thread, both of these teams need PK help. But that just sounds too good to be true. Another option could be some youth, like a mid-level prospect/pick (Hamill and a 2nd?). But if they want a roster help, I think Wheeler would have to be in play, which stings a bit because I feel like he's done more than these two at this point.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Alan Ryan

Yandle would be best but hard to obtain.

Lepisto sounds like he would help. Niskanen also. They fit the PMD/offensive profile that the Bruins need.

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 12-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
I'll take Karlis Skrastins - a warrior and one of the most underrated shutdown d-man in the league.
Only works if PC is not looking for a PMD. Now with Stuart injured it might just be.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Colbourne hasn't proven too much yet

Hes a 20 year old kid, in his first year playing in the AHL. In 23 games hes got I believe 14 points, 7 goals and 7 assists. I dont consider that bad. I've covered him from the moment he was drafted. The guy still has the highest upside of any of our prospects and is our # 2 prospect. I'd hold onto him, at least until he shows what he's capable of. He's going to be a special player. No doubt.

I wouldn't trade him just yet. We all need to realize we wont be getting Yandle.And if we do, it will be a massive overpayment.

Look for the B's to look at Lepisto.

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Alan Ryan

QUOTE=Bill Ladd

I agree. Lepisto or Niskanen. Both have great mobility and nice offensive upside.

I'd love to think we could get one of these guys for some combination of Stuart/Paille/pick because as MMB pointed out in his Niskanen thread, both of these teams need PK help. But that just sounds too good to be true. My guess: Wheeler's in play.

Phoenix has more attractive options on defense than Dallas.

Would Phoenix have any interest in Wheeler after he spurned them to come to Boston? If it's someone other than Wheeler could they use Ryder +?

If it is Wheeler that could tilt the deal toward Dallas/Niskanen. Trevor Daley would be good but not likely in play. Beyond him Dallas doesn't have much of interest other than Niskanen.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:05 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

I do Wheeler+Stuart+Boston 1st for Yandle. I'd prefer Ference go but I feel like that's pretty unlikely.

Then couple that trade with Sturm to LA for that conditional and we get something like:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Recchi-Bergeron-Ryder
Caron-Savard-Seguin
Thornton-Campbell-Marchand
Paille

Chara-Boychuck
Yandle-Seidenberg
McQuaid-Ference
Kampfer

I'll take that.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
I do Wheeler+Stuart+Boston 1st for Yandle. I'd prefer Ference go but I feel like that's pretty unlikely.
Yandle is a young first pairing defenseman, that won't get it done.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Is Yandle the real deal? I seriously dont know.

If he is a legit #1 offensive guy with PP stud written all over him then offer TOR's #1 in a package with lesser prospects and lets see what up.

TOR's #1, Hamil, and maybe Cross.

(Edit) If not, maybe Dallas can get us a Hunwick replacement alot cheaper.

Last edited by Baddkarma: 12-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

I'd love to think we could get one of these guys for some combination of Stuart/Paille because as MMB pointed out in his Niskanen thread, both of these teams need PK help. But that just sounds too good to be true. Another option could be some youth, like a mid-level prospect/pick (Hamill and a 2nd?). But if they want a roster help, I think Wheeler would have to be in play, which stings a bit because I feel like he's done more than these two at this point.
Here's the thing Bill - PC seems to be a guy that builds and plans for the future in each of his moves. Does he think he has a cup contender here right now? I think that's a fair assumption. Does he think he has a cup favorite? I think he'd be hard pressed to say that. He has to be thinking he's close to the team he wants for the cup runs and that this year is a let's see how lucky we get/get guys experience year.

With that said, you know he's looking at next year and his forward core. He can't expect Sturm, Recchi and likely Ryder back here which means our wing depth is out the window and no guys in our 2nd and 3rd line on the wing outside of their rookie years. Could he go out and find someone to fill one of those slots via FA? Sure but I don't think he'll want to because of the likely cost and the risk in the unknown of dealing with said player.

Pretty much, I think PC is seeing a situation where he cant yet move Wheeler unless he's getting greater than market value while having assurance in either the market, a returning player or someone coming through the system to take Wheeler's role - which happens to be on ES, some PP and the PK.

Knowing that this isn't the year either I think he looks for a player that is essentially a stop gap/potential sign an extension type if his play and attitude match the culture and allow him to make another player expendable. Pretty much someone he can get for relatively less, does not require giving up a core player or a player that brings some experience to a position that could be an organizational weak point in the near future.

If Niskanen is seen as expendable for Dallas (which is something I don't know) and they can take a stay at home d man along with other assets then I think he does it. If the cost is Wheeler he may wait until closer to the deadline and aim for Pitkanen as the rental/potential resign.

I can't see us making the move for Yandle unless Krejci is in play- which means Peter feels comfortable with Bergeron/Savard/Seguin/Wheeler/Colborne/Spooner as our current-future center depth which I doubt at this time he does. But if he were to move DK then it would be for a guy like Yandle while he felt comfortable at center, felt that our guys coming up in the system could provide a #2 PmD and that this draft can help fill the wing gaps and either provide another D man and/or a top line wing to give us depth across the board. I have a hard time believing he has that level of comfort though- even in this riskier cap age where teams need to have some faith in their decision making and asset management.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Phoenix has more attractive options on defense than Dallas.

Would Phoenix have any interest in Wheeler after he spurned them to come to Boston? If it's someone other than Wheeler could they use Ryder +?

If it is Wheeler that could tilt the deal toward Dallas/Niskanen. Trevor Daley would be good but not likely in play. Beyond him Dallas doesn't have much of interest other than Niskanen.
Good question about Wheeler. You would think that he'd be persona non grata, but I've heard PHX fans say there's a different management group there now (is that right?) and that they don't think there'd be any hard feelings. Plus, I believe Wheeler was concerned about their stability and that seems like it may be resolving itself as well. So who knows.

A Wheeler for Niskanen/Lepisto deal would feel a lot like Boyes/Wideman.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 12-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old
12-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Yandle is sounding like he is Bobby Orr looking at the payment.

This board is forgetting that he plays too invisible for your liking.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

my head says a small trade to fill a need with stuey hurt and hunny traded is what is coming.

My heart says I am hoping for bigger, stuey going down and finding a replacement is a new and temporary issue. The need for a true PMD is a long term structural need for the team.

Perhaps Caron just keeping fresh in ahl for quick call back after trade?

Certianly WOULD trade Wheeler plus for legit PMD BUT would hate to see him go for depth dman to replace stuey though.

Any chance Sturm traded for LA Kings (or phoe?) young dman rather than draft pick? I assume hickey not on table for a sturm but a 2nd level d prosepct perhaps?

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:40 PM
hubby1746

Yandle pretty please with a cherry on top!

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
why can't Mcquaid cover for stuart and a callup for hunwicks old spot?
how many rookies do people want on this team?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:50 PM
BoobaFett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
how many rookies do people want on this team?
Personally, I think we have a very small chance at a cup this year. The team as a whole needs a couple more years of development, and getting some of those promising young rookies in now definitely helps in the long run. Plus Julien seems to know how to monitor their ice time and keep them effective, hungry, and learning. Seguin, Caron, Kampfer, and MCQuaid (is he still a rook?) On this team doesn't bother me one bit.

BoobaFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatson783 View Post
Here's the thing Bill - PC seems to be a guy that builds and plans for the future in each of his moves. Does he think he has a cup contender here right now? I think that's a fair assumption. Does he think he has a cup favorite? I think he'd be hard pressed to say that. He has to be thinking he's close to the team he wants for the cup runs and that this year is a let's see how lucky we get/get guys experience year.

Agreed.

With that said, you know he's looking at next year and his forward core. He can't expect Sturm, Recchi and likely Ryder back here which means our wing depth is out the window and no guys in our 2nd and 3rd line on the wing outside of their rookie years. Could he go out and find someone to fill one of those slots via FA? Sure but I don't think he'll want to because of the likely cost and the risk in the unknown of dealing with said player.

PC does like his succession planning. And you're right, if they move Wheeler, they'd have to be willing to go very young next year. But I wonder if Spooner and Sauve opened his eyes at training camp this Fall and he's thinking they might be ready next year...

Savard-Seguin-Horton ( switch up S&S if you like)
Lucic-Krejci-???
Caron-Bergeron-Marchand

??? = Sauve or Spooner?

We started this season with 3 rookies in the top12, so I wouldn't be terrified of that group. It's young (and that's a risk) but fast, cheap and talented.

Pretty much, I think PC is seeing a situation where he cant yet move Wheeler unless he's getting greater than market value while having assurance in either the market, a returning player or someone coming through the system to take Wheeler's role - which happens to be on ES, some PP and the PK.

What about Caron? With Savard back I don't see Wheeler getting a ton of PP time. But Caron was playing a lot on the PK and with Bergeron (where Wheeler is playing right now) when he was up. He's not as fast or energetic as Wheeler, but I could see how PC might think Caron could make Wheeler expendable at some point.

Knowing that this isn't the year either I think he looks for a player that is essentially a stop gap/potential sign an extension type if his play and attitude match the culture and allow him to make another player expendable. Pretty much someone he can get for relatively less, does not require giving up a core player or a player that brings some experience to a position that could be an organizational weak point in the near future.

If Niskanen is seen as expendable for Dallas (which is something I don't know) and they can take a stay at home d man along with other assets then I think he does it. If the cost is Wheeler he may wait until closer to the deadline and aim for Pitkanen as the rental/potential resign.

If PC doesn't believe this is the year, and is still building towards the mid-term, I can't see him paying the hefty price it would take to get Pitkanen. We're talking Caron AND a 1st, for a guy who could walk right back to Carolina...

I think that if you're right, and if PC thinks next year is the beginning of his next Cup window, he'll look to improve organizational weaknesses with asset for asset trades (like Wheeler for a similarly aged, similar upside pmD) and use his free agent money this summer on a big ticket player (like Pitkanen) to really lock down and load up the lineup.

I can't see us making the move for Yandle unless Krejci is in play- which means Peter feels comfortable with Bergeron/Savard/Seguin/Wheeler/Colborne/Spooner as our current-future center depth which I doubt at this time he does. But if he were to move DK then it would be for a guy like Yandle while he felt comfortable at center, felt that our guys coming up in the system could provide a #2 PmD and that this draft can help fill the wing gaps and either provide another D man and/or a top line wing to give us depth across the board. I have a hard time believing he has that level of comfort though- even in this riskier cap age where teams need to have some faith in their decision making and asset management.

I agree. It would shocking if PHX decided to move Yandle. And costly, but the B's do have the assets...
Thoughts in bold.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

People are overlooking Trevor Daley's abilities and potential. Not a bad cap hit either and wouldn't cost much at all. I would love to get Yandle but Phoenix is a playoff team who would be reluctant to move their #1 defenceman...

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobaFett View Post
Get me Yandle or Niskanen....those are the only ones I could see us making a play for...OEL would be my 1st choice tho.
Yandle would not come cheap and PHX has no reason to trade him

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:18 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
People are overlooking Trevor Daley's abilities and potential. Not a bad cap hit either and wouldn't cost much at all. I would love to get Yandle but Phoenix is a playoff team who would be reluctant to move their #1 defenceman...
Dallas is pretty good, too. I don't know why they'd part with a top 4 defenseman either.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Thoughts in bold.
Thanks for the indepth feedback. Few notes-

1. Your line breakup is something I was suggesting earlier today to try when Savvy has his legs back and actually looks good in your scenario for next year as well. To be honest, I'd probably be okay with that- if....

2. We are able to supplement the 3rd line with another great Penalty killer. We've pointed out previously that Paille last year may not have been as great of a PK player as much as he gave us a guy for 3 really strong forward PK pairings. That line up has our PK being based on:

Bergy-Caron (very good)
Krejci-Marchand
Campbell-xxx

If it's just a 3rd pair guy we need then sure, we could fill it and it might make sense to do it via the 4th line more. The question I'd still say though is, does he feel comfortable enough with that plan and the depth he'd have as well as the experience?

Our team has 3 rookie forwards this year, each on their own line. Would he be okay with a rookie and a sophomore on the same line when we see the tendency of guys hitting sophomore slumps while they grow physically and look to learn more? He very well might be- but that's something I'm not on the inside on.

3. If that's the price for Pitkanen at the deadline then you're right- it's too high and it's not the one he'll make. If Pitkanen was not going to be signed to an extension though and Carolina is out of it, is that the going rate? Very well could be and in this year I wouldn't look to pay it.

I still think that the logic applies- he'll find a potential guy to resign if it works out, but otherwise someone who is looked at as a stop gap while not giving up points where the organization has question marks. IE- we move stay at home d men along with picks/prospects.

If push came to shove and Wheeler had to be moved for a deal to be done- and it was the "right deal" let's say- then I think PC might push the button. But I think he'd want to make sure it was a trade he could do the Chia dance afterwards if that were the case and not just an asset for asset trade.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat4537 View Post
Niskanen will always be known as the man who got his kisser rearranged by Sheriff Shane Hnidy in the infamous Dallas game..
Sidney Crosby tuned him pretty good, too.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Good question about Wheeler. You would think that he'd be persona non grata, but I've heard PHX fans say there's a different management group there now (is that right?) and that they don't think there'd be any hard feelings. Plus, I believe Wheeler was concerned about their stability and that seems like it may be resolving itself as well. So who knows.

A Wheeler for Niskanen/Lepisto deal would feel a lot like Boyes/Wideman.

If Boston wants to trade Wheeler to Phoenix, and they want him, he doesn't have any leverage now.

Do you think Wheeler for Niskanen/Lepisto is better for Boston than Boyes/Wideman?