HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

HOH: Bruins look to make deal for a Dman with Dallas or Phoenix

Old
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
That bout was what inspired me to post this on the old Centre Ice thread about Niskanen and fighting:

Kirk- NEHJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Sidney Crosby tuned him pretty good, too.

Well the good thing is, if he comes to Boston, he and Andy Ference have something they can both talk about and bond over right away

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
People are overlooking Trevor Daley's abilities and potential. Not a bad cap hit either and wouldn't cost much at all. I would love to get Yandle but Phoenix is a playoff team who would be reluctant to move their #1 defenceman...

Coach--what would it cost to get Daley?

I haven't seen him play but looking at the Dallas depth chart he is right up there. Would they let him go at a reasonable cost?

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:59 PM
biggles8

Daley takes 2.3 million and is set to go UFA next season.
Decent skater and is really on a nice little roll right now with Dallas. Picks up around 21-22 ATOI for them (when healthy).

I'd hazard a guess he'd cost us a roster player like Wheeler and a prospect.
Doesn't make a lot of sense for Dallas to want / need to unload him at this point IMO.

biggles8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Res Nullius

Paille for Niskanen would make this poster smile.

Res Nullius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Strafer

[quote=Dwatson783;29449080]Here's the thing Bill - PC seems to be a guy that builds and plans for the future in each of his moves. Does he think he has a cup contender here right now? I think that's a fair assumption. Does he think he has a cup favorite? I think he'd be hard pressed to say that. He has to be thinking he's close to the team he wants for the cup runs and that this year is a let's see how lucky we get/get guys experience year.

With that said, you know he's looking at next year and his forward core. He can't expect Sturm, Recchi and likely Ryder back here which means our wing depth is out the window and no guys in our 2nd and 3rd line on the wing outside of their rookie years. Could he go out and find someone to fill one of those slots via FA? Sure but I don't think he'll want to because of the likely cost and the risk in the unknown of dealing with said player.

Pretty much, I think PC is seeing a situation where he cant yet move Wheeler unless he's getting greater than market value while having assurance in either the market, a returning player or someone coming through the system to take Wheeler's role - which happens to be on ES, some PP and the PK.

Knowing that this isn't the year either I think he looks for a player that is essentially a stop gap/potential sign an extension type if his play and attitude match the culture and allow him to make another player expendable. Pretty much someone he can get for relatively less, does not require giving up a core player or a player that brings some experience to a position that could be an organizational weak point in the near future.

If Niskanen is seen as expendable for Dallas (which is something I don't know) and they can take a stay at home d man along with other assets then I think he does it. If the cost is Wheeler he may wait until closer to the deadline and aim for Pitkanen as the rental/potential resign.

I can't see us making the move for Yandle unless Krejci is in play- which means Peter feels comfortable with Bergeron/Savard/Seguin/Wheeler/Colborne/Spooner as our current-future center depth which I doubt at this time he does. But if he were to move DK then it would be for a guy like Yandle while he felt comfortable at center, felt that our guys coming up in the system could provide a #2 PmD and that this draft can help fill the wing gaps and either provide another D man and/or a top line wing to give us depth across the board. I have a hard time believing he has that level of comfort though- even in this riskier cap age where teams need to have some faith in their decision making and asset management.[/quote
I'm more worried about Savard than Wheeler. Savard, Sturm, Ryder, (almost)Recchi are the past. I like Yandle, I'd aim for him and try to get it done. Bring up kids to fill some of the forward positions.

Last edited by Strafer: 12-09-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Strafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:16 AM
misterjaggers

Yandle has the worst Plus/minus relative to the rest of the team's performance (On-Ice Plus/Minus minus Off-Ice Plus/Minus.)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2010/new_...team=PHX&pos=D

In this table it's called his "rating".

Last edited by misterjaggers: 12-09-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: I mistakenly referred to the wrong statistic,
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:39 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Yandle has the worst Corsi number (shot differential) of Phoenix's defensemen. I expect we're overrating him.

Duncan Keith is Second to last on Chicago, Lidstrom is third on his team, Chara is third, Tomas Kaberle has the best on his team, Bartuls has a better rating than Pronger, Oystrick rating is better than Pietrangelo and Johnson and Shea Weber has a similar rating to Shane O'Brien.

That tells me this stat holds little weight to judge defensemen.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:41 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Yandle has the worst Corsi number (shot differential) of Phoenix's defensemen. I expect we're overrating him.

Uh, not too sure how you read that table, but Yandle does not have the worst Corsi number on the Yotes. His Corsi on is -1.35, both Jovanovski and Morris are worse. His relative Corsi is -2.6, again, both Jovanovski and Morris are worse.

And FWIW, the worst relative Corsi on the Bruins, by a huge margin, is Seidenberg. I wouldn't put too much faith into that statistic.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Duncan Keith is Second to last on Chicago, Lidstrom is third on his team, Chara is third, Tomas Kaberle has the best on his team, Bartuls has a better rating than Pronger, Oystrick rating is better than Pietrangelo and Johnson and Shea Weber has a similar rating to Shane O'Brien.

Yes agreed. I go by what I see, and how I see them perform.. You can look at stats all day and not make a wise decision, but watch the player and you'll learn alot about him. Thanks!

Old
12-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Uh, not too sure how you read that table, but Yandle does not have the worst Corsi number on the Yotes. His Corsi on is -1.35, both Jovanovski and Morris are worse. His relative Corsi is -2.6, again, both Jovanovski and Morris are worse.

And FWIW, the worst relative Corsi on the Bruins, by a huge margin, is Seidenberg. I wouldn't put too much faith into that statistic.
Yes, too many stats, too many people relying on stats. There are intangibles that one never sees. You almost have to be in the players head to know what's going on with him and his relationship with his team mates, the system he's playing in, and the team/organization itself.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post

Hey Finchster: Since you aren't in Boston, there is a car dealership comercial that features, Hal Gill, Shawn Thornton, and Keith Yandle but you can barely make out the name (Yandle) because it's mumbled by whoever says it. It's a few months old now and done in the summer. I wonder why that choice of players 1 Bruin (not a Bostonian), and 2 non Bruins, both Bostonians? Maybe they gave them free Kia's? lol

Old
12-09-2010, 02:11 AM
almostawake

Most likely, and cheapest, options are Lepisto and Woywitka. Maybe Schlemko, or Niskanen. Outside shot at Daley or Skrastins.

Skrastins would be the truest replacement for Stuart. Daley is probably the player that could contribute the most right now. Lepisto, Schlemko and Niskanen are all young guys that I'd view more as an upgrade to Hunwick. Bottom pairing material (for now) to be certain. Niskanen has some upside though.

Woywitka I added just because we could get him for nothing because the Stars need to move a D with Fistric back. They might like Larsen enough to want to keep him up, thereby making Woywitka a spare part in the truest sense of the phrase.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Strafer

[quote=almostawake;29451809]Most likely, and cheapest, options are Lepisto and Woywitka. Maybe Schlemko, or Niskanen. Outside shot at Daley or Skrastins.

Skrastins would be the truest replacement for Stuart. Daley is probably the player that could contribute the most right now. Lepisto, Schlemko and Niskanen are all young guys that I'd view more as an upgrade to Hunwick. Bottom pairing material (for now) to be certain. Niskanen has some upside though.

Woywitka I added just because we could get him for nothing because the Stars need to move a D with Fistric back. They might like Larsen enough to want to keep him up, thereby making Woywitka a spare part in the truest sense of the phrase.[/qu

I known nothing about them. Is Woywitka PMD?

Old
12-09-2010, 02:26 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
I known nothing about them. Is Woywitka PMD?
He's a tweener. Too good for the AHL, never been able to lock down a full time NHL spot. Big, strong, decent mobility and shot. Has gotten PP time in the past.

He's nothing more than a 6/7 guy, and if anything, he's better offensively than defensively.

From a Bruins perspective, he's significantly better than our more experienced AHL guys (Bodnarchuk and Penner) but not going to challenge any of our established NHL defensemen. I could see the Bruins acquiring him to just be a body for the next month.

Last edited by almostawake: 12-09-2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Broken quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:32 AM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
Hey Finchster: Since you aren't in Boston, there is a car dealership comercial that features, Hal Gill, Shawn Thornton, and Keith Yandle but you can barely make out the name (Yandle) because it's mumbled by whoever says it. It's a few months old now and done in the summer. I wonder why that choice of players 1 Bruin (not a Bostonian), and 2 non Bruins, both Bostonians? Maybe they gave them free Kia's? lol
Gill and Yandle are both from around here. Gill's hard to miss when he's walking around in the North End. I was stopped at a crosswalk once and saw this huge guy crossing and I was like oh look, there's Hal Gill, I can deke him out I bet. Shawn Thornton lives a couple houses down from my buddy in Charlestown. They all played in a pro-am summer league at the hingham and rockland rinks a couple months back, perhaps they're pals? Who the hell knows, lol.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:37 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post

I'm sorry, my mistake. The stat I meant to refer to in that table wasn't Corsi but the "Rating" which is Plus/minus relative to the rest of the team's performance (On-Ice Plus/Minus minus Off-Ice Plus/Minus.)

Last edited by misterjaggers: 12-09-2010 at 02:57 AM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 06:19 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Ryder and Stuart for Niskanen and Brunnstrom.

Yes, players injured or on the LTIR can be dealt. Yes, I know Brunnstrom is in the minors.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
My guess Robidas - ANother former Hab! lol

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
BruinsPortugal

Niskanen for Wheeler? really? I mean is this guy that good or is he just a similar player to Hunwick? cause the numbers certainly aren't there.

I dont see why we should trade assets for bottom pair guys, if we are going to make a move bring the #2 we need. If we are not going to get that let OUR kids play.

Last edited by BruinsPortugal: 12-09-2010 at 08:13 AM.
BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Wheeler in a deal for Hnidy's best friend Niskanen, no way...

How about Nisk for Ryder and a 4th?

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Wheeler in a deal for Hnidy's best friend Niskanen, no way...

How about Nisk for Ryder and a 4th?
Don't see that happening.

Dallas ownership (from what Ive read) doesnt want to add salary...they already have a big problem with Richards and his UFA status.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Don't see that happening.

Dallas ownership (from what Ive read) doesnt want to add salary...they already have a big problem with Richards and his UFA status.
Not unless you expect to Dump Richards before year end as a rental and Retool... That opens up all kinds of posibilities.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
My guess Robidas - ANother former Hab! lol
I became a huge fan of Robidas a couple of years ago when I watched DAL in the playoffs, particularly against the Sharks. I'd take Robidas on the B's in a heartbeat (ex-Hab or not).

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I became a huge fan of Robidas a couple of years ago when I watched DAL in the playoffs, particularly against the Sharks. I'd take Robidas on the B's in a heartbeat (ex-Hab or not).
I would too.

He was a force last year and I wonder if a change of scenary would do him well.