Old
12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
My guess Robidas - ANother former Hab! lol
As much as the former Hab thing irks me, Robidas would be a dream.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Causeway
Formerly Monti46

Send a message via AIM to Causeway Send a message via Skype™ to Causeway
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I became a huge fan of Robidas a couple of years ago when I watched DAL in the playoffs, particularly against the Sharks. I'd take Robidas on the B's in a heartbeat (ex-Hab or not).
What would it take for Robidas? That's comparable to Yandle in Phoenix, it's one of their top defencemen I don't think it would be cheap.

Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montiverdi46 View Post
What would it take for Robidas? That's comparable to Yandle in Phoenix, it's one of their top defencemen I don't think it would be cheap.
I have no idea what Robidas would cost, but he's not really comparable to Yandle at all IMO, except that they both are good skaters.

Robidas is 33, locked up for another 3 yrs at 3.3 million per (I see a trend in these numbers) and has a NTC.

Yandle is only 24, makes 1.2 mil, and is an RFA after this season.

From a money standpoint, obviously Yandle makes more sense immediately, but you will have to give up more for him and he will get a big raise next year. Robidas would have to waive his NTC, but he could be had for less given his age and salary.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Yandle has the worst Corsi number (shot differential) of Phoenix's defensemen. I expect we're overrating him.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2010/new_...team=PHX&pos=D
Corsi number?

lol

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:24 AM
duckchobbins

Would love Robidas in Boston, but I don't think it's happening. For some reason I don't imagine this being anything more than a small shift...Lepisto or Niskanen perhaps. Bruins will gain a D and a couple bucks in the deal hopefully. I am ok with it.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I have no idea what Robidas would cost, but he's not really comparable to Yandle at all IMO, except that they both are good skaters.

Robidas is 33, locked up for another 3 yrs at 3.3 million per (I see a trend in these numbers) and has a NTC.

From a money standpoint, obviously Yandle makes more sense immediately, but you will have to give up more for him and he will get a big raise next year. Robidas would have to waive his NTC, but he could be had for less given his age and salary.
Just want to combat that slightly.

Robidas = Genuine #2 defenseman on ANY excellent NHL team

Yandle has only the potential to get to that level. (and I think the chances are very good)

Plus, I wouldn't think that the Stars have any reason to deal Robidas. There's a reason they locked him up long-term. I'd say it's rather unlikely that he's available.

The one thing that's intriguing to me? The Brad Richards situation and the cost-cutting measures that the Stars are looking to take. It really throws this crazy wildcard into the mix when it comes to potential deals with them. I think there are going to be some surprising moves coming out of that organization... Ones that most hockey fans would never see coming.

Old
12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Bruwinz37

Niskanen for Wheeler makes sense for both sides. That said, Nisk isnt having a great year offensively and perhaps Dallas could be swayed to take Ryder plus another asset in a deal for Niskanen.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Yandle has only the potential to get to that level. (and I think the chances are very good)

Plus, I wouldn't think that the Stars have any reason to deal Robidas. There's a reason they locked him up long-term. I'd say it's rather unlikely that he's available.

The one thing that's intriguing to me? The Brad Richards situation and the cost-cutting measures that the Stars are looking to take. It really throws this crazy wildcard into the mix when it comes to potential deals with them. I think there are going to be some surprising moves coming out of that organization... Ones that most hockey fans would never see coming.
This is what I found very odd. In the past Hicks had no problem throwing money at players or taking on contracts (see Guerin, Bill and Richards, Brad). Is he in the process of selling the team or something?

Like you said, I can't really see the Stars moving Robidas unless there is something going on financially to motivate that sort of move.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Causeway
Formerly Monti46

Send a message via AIM to Causeway Send a message via Skype™ to Causeway
Quote:

I meant situationally, as in Dallas and Phoenix are both looking like playoff teams and not sure what it would take to get one of their top defensemen from them.

Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
This is what I found very odd. In the past Hicks had no problem throwing money at players or taking on contracts (see Guerin, Bill and Richards, Brad). Is he in the process of selling the team or something?

Like you said, I can't really see the Stars moving Robidas unless there is something going on financially to motivate that sort of move.
This is why I thought... There was a reply to someone who thought that the Stars would take Ryder in a deal. They said something about Dallas unlikely to add salary.

But if they deal Richards in a cost-cutting move and manage to not take a lot of dollars in return, Ryder may be an option as a cheaper scorer in a veiled attempt to stay competitive. In a bubble, it looks bad (because it would really hurt that team talent-wise). But the financial concerns are looking paramount to icing a good club at this point.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I agree. Lepisto or Niskanen. Both have great mobility and nice offensive upside.

But I wonder about the cost?

I'd love to think we could get one of these guys for some combination of Stuart/Paille because as MMB pointed out in his Niskanen thread, both of these teams need PK help. But that just sounds too good to be true. Another option could be some youth, like a mid-level prospect/pick (Hamill and a 2nd?). But if they want a roster help, I think Wheeler would have to be in play, which stings a bit because I feel like he's done more than these two at this point.
One of the reasons I suggested Niskanen (other than the PK help it would provide Dallas) and really... the other KEY point, was that Niskanen isn't doing enough right now to warrant clutching on to him.

To put it another way.

Current Stars team =(more or less) Current Stars team sans Niskanen
- I don't believe they really suffer from the loss

BUT

Current Stars team < Stars team sans Niskanen PLUS a notably improved penalty kill

There is a net benefit for them to make a trade along those lines.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:16 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

You do realize that Yandle leads his team and would also lead Dallas in atoi? I would say he's already a legitimate #2. His 4 goals and 10 assists aren't bad either. He averages 2 minutes more per game than Jovanovski

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
You do realize that Yandle leads his team and would also lead Dallas in atoi? I would say he's already a legitimate #2. His 4 goals and 10 assists aren't bad either. He averages 2 minutes more per game than Jovanovski
I'll admit... I did NOT realize that.

I've been waiting for Yandle to take that next step forward in his progression. May be that he's taken it this season and I just haven't been attentive enough to notice it.

Good call.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
C77

I like Jovanovski a lot. He's an old school warrior in the playoffs...the type of guy we could use.

Big cap number and he's a UFA at year's end. I'm not sure if he has a house and family in Phoenix though? Maybe Phoenix wants to get something in return for him before he hits free agency?

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I like Jovanovski a lot. He's an old school warrior in the playoffs...the type of guy we could use.

Big cap number and he's a UFA at year's end. I'm not sure if he has a house and family in Phoenix though? Maybe Phoenix wants to get something in return for him before he hits free agency?
6.5 million is just way to much for this team to bring in. You'd need to clear Sturm, Ryder, and Wheeler, just to get him here

In terms of Wheeler for Niskanen. Honestly, I'd say no way. Honestly I would rather give Kampfer a chance to see what he can do than bring Niskanen in at this point. I think Wheeler is a more valuable asset right now.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Yandle please

12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
almostawake

Quote:

When the mortgage crisis hit Hicks was way over extended. He's already lost the Rangers and Liverpool FC, essentially through bankruptcy. A while back he defaulted on the loan he got for the Stars and their arena.

The Stars are Hicks' last sports asset and I think he'll hold on to them until the last possible moment, but the Stars have had to cut costs big time.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
6.5 million is just way to much for this team to bring in. You'd need to clear Sturm, Ryder, and Wheeler, just to get him here

In terms of Wheeler for Niskanen. Honestly, I'd say no way. Honestly I would rather give Kampfer a chance to see what he can do than bring Niskanen in at this point. I think Wheeler is a more valuable asset right now.
Agreed...Niskanen gets far too much love around here IMO. He's just not that good, and has totally regressed IMO.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Corsi number?

lol
No. I meant his plus/minus relative to the rest of the team's performance (On-Ice Plus/Minus minus Off-Ice Plus/Minus.)

Last edited by misterjaggers: 12-09-2010 at 12:09 PM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
sisu

niskanen is great at getting punched in the face. kinda like montador.

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
Yandle is sounding like he is Bobby Orr looking at the payment.

This board is forgetting that he plays too invisible for your liking.

He's a dman with more points than Wheeler, and the same number of goals and assists as Bergeron.

That's pretty darn valuable.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
misterjaggers

Here's a nice article on Robidas:

Quote:
When we asked a handful of players (past and present), analysts and executives about who they considered to be underrated players, they were uniform in their praise of [Robidas].

"Very difficult to play against," said former player and national analyst Ray Ferraro. "Good pick. Tough. Gamer. Better than people know, for sure."

"Very positive. There is only one thing he doesn't possess: height," said Craig Button, who was an executive in Dallas between 1992-2000 and is now a national analyst. "He is a great competitor. He is smart. He is skilled. He can play defense and offense. He can play in any situation and under any circumstance. He plays to win and finds a way to make a play of some sort that helps push the game's outcome more to the side of his team. In other words, I love him and the way he plays."

Another NHL executive familiar with Robidas said simply, "I love him as a player and as a person."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2010/t...1005underrated

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
There is no way we get Robidas. He is way to valuable to that team for them to trade him.

The guys is a very very good player and obviously very underrated.

The fact of the matter, though, is that Dallas is right in the playoff mix and Robidas is their do everything #1 defenseman. On top of that he's a great dressing room guy and a great leader. He's signed to a very reasonable long term contract on a team that has serious budgetary constraints.

The guy is going nowhere.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agreed...Niskanen gets far too much love around here IMO. He's just not that good, and has totally regressed IMO.
Same. I'm not a fan of Niskanen and I think we're better served looking elsewhere to fill our mobility needs.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
DaBroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
When the mortgage crisis hit Hicks was way over extended. He's already lost the Rangers and Liverpool FC, essentially through bankruptcy. A while back he defaulted on the loan he got for the Stars and their arena.

The Stars are Hicks' last sports asset and I think he'll hold on to them until the last possible moment, but the Stars have had to cut costs big time.

I read that the Stars were being overseen by the lenders and that Hicks was out of the picture.

Gotta love this board. We need a PMD and people complain that the guy (Niskanen) is not an accomplished fighter. At least he's willing to drop the gloves.

DaBroons is offline   Reply With Quote