Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HOH: Bruins look to make deal for a Dman with Dallas or Phoenix

Old
12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Re: Blake Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
If Boston wants to trade Wheeler to Phoenix, and they want him, he doesn't have any leverage now.

Do you think Wheeler for Niskanen/Lepisto is better for Boston than Boyes/Wideman?
why wouldn't Wheeler sign w/ PHX, Alan Ryan, when they had the option to for 2 years, which is why Wheeler's ELC is up now, rather than a year from now, and how did Wheels land here when the Coyotes are still in transition?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
That bout was what inspired me to post this on the old Centre Ice thread about Niskanen and fighting:

You have way to much time on your hands Kirk ! Keep up the great work

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Dallas Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
This is what I found very odd. In the past Hicks had no problem throwing money at players or taking on contracts (see Guerin, Bill and Richards, Brad). Is he in the process of selling the team or something?

Like you said, I can't really see the Stars moving Robidas unless there is something going on financially to motivate that sort of move.
Dallas is the only franchise Hicks now owns, after the Rangers transition to Ryan/Greenberg, & Liverpool FC is now part of the NESV Family, so the answer is yes, GD.

Had Modano or Brett Hull bought the Stars as was rumored, then maybe the scenario is different.

this likely includes the Texas Stars (DAL's AHL Affiliate in Cedar Park)

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBroons View Post
I read that the Stars were being overseen by the lenders and that Hicks was out of the picture.

Gotta love this board. We need a PMD and people complain that the guy (Niskanen) is not an accomplished fighter. At least he's willing to drop the gloves.
No one cares that he is not an accomplished fighter. the problem is he has been a pretty lousy PMD over his last 101 games (3G 15 A, -15)

I just don't see where he is a clear upgrade over Kampfer at this point.

Give the kid a shot, OR go out and pay a real price to get someone like Yandle who IS a clear upgrade

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agreed...Niskanen gets far too much love around here IMO. He's just not that good, and has totally regressed IMO.
I agree that Niskanen gets too much love. Too many people remember hearing about him in his rookie year when he was on the fast track to being an established top pairing defenseman.

On the other hand, I disagree with your statement that he has regressed. I think that in terms of his actual play, Niskanen has improved at a modest rate. I think that for the most part it's just opinions of Niskanen that have fallen off. I consider this a problem of perception rather than play.

In his rookie year Niskanen spent a lot of time with Zubov. In his sophomore year he was paired with a Darryl Sydor, that honestly was a shell of his former self. The last two years he's mostly been playing with Skrastins and Fistric.

IMO, for now, Niskanen is what he is. He's a legit NHL level defenseman. He is not top pairing guy, or even a legit top 4 guy. With the right partner he can play on the second pairing and hold down 20+ minutes a night. He can't anchor the second pairing. He could, however, anchor the third pairing and be solid there. He has good offensive skills and is useful on the PP. He has all of the tools to be a great puck mover but he still has a ways to go before he has that completely figured out. Having said that, he would still be significantly better than Hunwick/Stuart/McQuaid in that regard. I also have trouble believing that we have some one in Providence that could step in and be better than Niskanen in the transition game.

I think that Niskanen would pair very well with Chara, but honestly, every defenseman we have plays well with Chara. So I don't think it's worth bringing Niskanen in to play with Chara.

I think that Niskanen would seriously improve our 3rd pairing. His puck moving would help out a lot there. Having said that though, it would not be worth our while to get him just for the 3rd pairing.

The big question with Niskanen is could he pair with Seidenberg and play 20 minutes. I don't know. If he could, he would be a great acquisition. It's a bit of a risk but a change of scenery might do it for him.

I think that he's a risk, but trading for him could payoff decently in the short term, and very nicely in the long term. However, it's important that everyone understands that he's not the hype from 07-08 and he's not a bust. He's a guy on the bubble between the 2nd and 3rd pairings.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

My prediction

Minor deal for depth and speed now. Niskanen maybe or from Phoenix Aucoin or Lepisto.

But here's a prediction down the line.

Krejci for Yandle.

Sláinte!

Murph

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I'd really like to add Niskanen to the mix, not sure tho why 1 the Stars would deal him and 2 for what

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:42 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
Minor deal for depth and speed now. Niskanen maybe or from Phoenix Aucoin or Lepisto.

Krejci for Yandle.
Sláinte!

Murph
People may flip out but it makes too much sense.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Maybe Michael Del Zotto is available. He's a healthy scratch for tonight

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Krejci for Yandle.

Sláinte!

Murph
Hmmm, no puking emoticon available. Too bad.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:01 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

Krejci for Yandle.

Sláinte!

Murph
Based on rumblings from sources? Gut feeling because of the Bruins needs/surplus?

I'd much rather trade futures for Pitkanen than deal Krejci for Yandle if they're both available in March.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:

Krejci for Yandle.

Sláinte!

Murph
Making a deal like this would require that Claude Julien will give Seguin and his line at least 15 minutes a night. Which he will not do.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Making a deal like this would require that Claude Julien will give Seguin and his line at least 15 minutes a night. Which he will not do.
I think it would be more likely that they'd bump Bergeron up a line, and play Wheeler at Center. I think with Savard's return, Seguin is at wing for the rest of the season.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:13 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
I think it would be more likely that they'd bump Bergeron up a line, and play Wheeler at Center. I think with Savard's return, Seguin is at wing for the rest of the season.
^This.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Sidney Crosby tuned him pretty good, too.

Wow...that was embarrassing. He made Crosby look like Lucic.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:

Krejci for Yandle.

Sláinte!

Murph
Certainly you have to give to get, but I don't like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Maybe Michael Del Zotto is available. He's a healthy scratch for tonight
He's struggling a bit, but I can't see why the Rangers would be willing to move him.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Chia should be fired on the spot if he deals Krejci for Yandle..

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:36 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Chia should be fired on the spot if he deals Krejci for Yandle..
I would hope he would be fired before the deal

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Yandle is averaging around 25-26 minutes a night since November and has become the clear number one defenseman in Pheniox. I don't see how he isn't worth a player like Krejci

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Yandle is averaging around 25-26 minutes a night since November and has become the clear number one defenseman in Pheniox. I don't see how he isn't worth a player like Krejci
Well Krejci's been our #1 center since the beginning of the season.

I wouldn't do the trade. I think people here are vastly overrating Yandle. Plus it's highly unlikely he gets dealt anyways.

I think this Yandle talk is mostly a pipe dream anyways

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Do you think Wheeler for Niskanen/Lepisto is better for Boston than Boyes/Wideman?
Honestly, I don't know, AR. Niskanen and Lepisto are older than Wideman was at the time of the deal. At this stage in Lepisto's career, Wideman was having a career year (50pts, +34) and at this stage in Niskanen's career, Wideman was just starting to turn the corner. But both these guys are sort of stuck in limbo, getting scratched for 6 of his last 9 games (Lepisto) or getting just 12 minutes a night (Niskanen).

As far as Wheeler goes, I don't ever see him becoming a big goal scorer like Boyes did because imo, he doesn't have the release or velocity on his shot needed to beat goalies clean in the slot like Boyes does/did. But he's better than Boyes defensively, in the corners and in front of the net. He's also a tremendous PK'er, imo. And unlike Boyes (at the time of the trade) he's a very useful player on this team. Remember, Boyes was struggling mightily and being moved all over the lineup.

Bottom line: While I like those two guys, I'm not crazy about moving a player who is contributing for players who may or may not help.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Honestly, I don't know, AR. Niskanen and Lepisto are older than Wideman was at the time of the deal. At this stage in Lepisto's career, Wideman was having a career year (50pts, +34) and at this stage in Niskanen's career, Wideman was just starting to turn the corner. But both these guys are sort of stuck in limbo, getting scratched for 6 of his last 9 games (Lepisto) or getting just 12 minutes a night (Niskanen).

As far as Wheeler goes, I don't ever see him becoming a big goal scorer like Boyes did because imo, he doesn't have the release or velocity on his shot needed to beat goalies clean in the slot like Boyes does/did. But he's better than Boyes defensively, in the corners and in front of the net. He's also a tremendous PK'er, imo. And unlike Boyes (at the time of the trade) he's a very useful player on this team. Remember, Boyes was struggling mightily and being moved all over the lineup.

Bottom line: While I like those two guys, I'm not crazy about moving a player who is contributing for players who may or may not help.
I don't like it either... I'd rather go another route, personally.

That being said, lately I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how Wheeler fits on this roster.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:55 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Little of both

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Based on rumblings from sources? Gut feeling because of the Bruins needs/surplus?

I'd much rather trade futures for Pitkanen than deal Krejci for Yandle if they're both available in March.
We'll see and you need to give to get as many have said here. The Bruins need a legit puck-mover and have plenty of talented centers. I know the Bruins team brass feels this team is a puck-moving, speedy d-man away from really contending for the Cup so why not deal a piece that you have plenty of? I know from Phoenix sources that they would be interested in Krejci but right now are trying to sign Yandle long-term and not trade him. But Yandle is not interested in long-term. Maybe next summer the Coyotes realize that and look at their depth on D and since they're a No.1 center away from the next level, this deal would make sense. All theory and speculation but I will stand by my prediction.

Sláinte!

Murph

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
almostawake

Quote:

Lepisto/Schlemko (which ever the Yotes have decided is their 7th defenseman) could be had for a lot less than Wheeler.

Niskanen might require Wheeler, but we'd probably get something more in return too.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Bill.

I don't think Wheeler should be moved unless the Bruins get a return that they deem a clear upgrade on defense.

Perhaps Kampfer will surprise and make a trade for Niskanen/Lepisto type players unnecessary.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote