HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel Should Be Ashamed

Old
12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 500
Oh good. More BS from Berger and his legion of sheep are eating it up.

MajorityRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
Tyler Bozak is by far the softest player on this team. Working hard doesn't mean you're not soft. He gets pushed off the puck more than anyone I've seen.
I think we have different definitions for soft. Bozak initiates physical contact on the forecheck, goes to the front of the net and battles down low. I'm not necessarily referring to strength on the puck.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Nickolopolous

Good article for once!

Nickolopolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NigelTufnel

man I hate berger.....even more so when he's right

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Trying to blame Kessel for Burke's mistake? Kessel is Kessel and unfortunately for us we're realizing this now.

Everyone. And I mean everyone knew that Kessel had an attitude and work ethic problem when he was in Boston.

Burke, with that magnificent ego of his, thought he could retool this team into a contender faster than the traditional "through the draft" method.

He refused to use an offer sheet which would have at least saved one first rounder because of his ego and his earlier condemnation of Lowe for the same. Strike 1. We got fleeced in this deal. Burke couldn't have known it for sure at the time but the risk was there.

He also believed that he could attract free agents of some note to support his re-tool. Unfortunately in a salary cap world it is more difficult to outbid other teams for free agents, and players are tending to sign on where they have a chance to win instead of going to free agency. We don't have anyone capable of creating plays and getting Kessel the puck. Strike 2.

Our incredibly overpriced blueline is Strike 3 to me. Phaneuf is playing like a 3 million dollar defenseman and don't get me started on Komi... They need to turn the whole thing over again or Phaneuf needs to turn back the clock in a big way..

He traded for a player who is certainly a 1st liner in talent but not a building block player.

He has failed spectacularly. This team won't start being a contender unless he can manage to find a legitimate front line center. Quite possibly the only way to get one is to draft one and that means we're waiting for Kadri to *hopefully* develop into one or the 2012 draft.
I'm honestly completely confused as to why an intelligent man like Burke would make a deal like he did, for a player like Kessel. He bypasses an offersheet that would have cost less and gives up more to acquire a winger who possesses none of the traits that he seems to cherish. Personally, I would have balked at the offer sheet approach, but rather stay patient and wait to see what we have before making that kind of move.

Part of me thinks that, maybe, BB made certain promises to kessel during those Olympic orientation sessions the U.S.A team had. Just doesnt seem coincidental that BB acquired him during an Olympic year. We all know BB likes to be a man of his word and follow through on his promises, but with BB, Wilson and Kessel all part of that U.S team, just cant help think that played a big part.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Tyler Bozak is a B-Rated player. My brother could play better than him.

Btw, Hey Kessel, nice contract. You lazy ass!

Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 12-09-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Nickolopolous

Please explain, I don't see anything but truth in this article. I am not a fan of Berger's work usually, but this needed to be said.

Nickolopolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I disagree with Berger more often than not. But I think he's right on with this one. Calling people sheep while not engaging the subject matter is pretty weak.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Trade him to LA.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I disagree with Berger more often than not. But I think he's right on with this one. Calling people sheep while not engaging the subject matter is pretty weak.
Baaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

MajorityRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
pSoup

I think Kessel is finding himself playing under pressure, and not performing well. The kid can't buy a goal...so many open net chances and the puck has bounced the wrong way. Kessel works hard out there, and it's only a matter of time before he gets his confidence back with a few lucky bounces and then he'll go on another goal scoring streak.

Leave Kessel alone, let him do his thing, the more and more pressure that gets put on him, the worse he seems to perform. Some will say at the cost of 3 draft picks and at 5.4 million a year Kessel should be able to perform well under any circumstance but we did not receive a player as dominate as the price tag may suggest.

Phil Kessel is not a dominant forward who can carry a team, he is a star player, who on his own is effective, but plays much better when he is paired with elite talent. Kessel has no one to play with right now, sure we could bring back the Kulemin Bozak Kessel line, but then you screw up our only consistently productive line, so we need to stop expecting a 40 goal scorer out of him.

Kessel is still young, and so is our team as a group, unfortunately Bozak isn't playing nearly as well as he did at the end of last season, hopefully he can return to that form, and Kessel and Bozak can play along side each other again and maybe replicate the magic from last year.

pSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
leafspring*

Kessel gets plucked out of the chicken coup of players eh? Well, he is not playing well,but he is not alone in the concept. Burke could deal him i suppose if there is something terribly wrong with Kessels motivation.

To trade Kessel now might be the thing that saves our Play-off butts,and in effect gives Boston a lesser pick. Teams would want him. Maybe Burke gets his credability back by dumping a one trick pony for a all round player?

Just trade him and send the message that floaters aren't wanted wearing our logo!

Versteegs one trick pony act could go right behind him imo.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Kessel gets plucked out of the chicken coup of players eh? Well, he is not playing well,but he is not alone in the concept. Burke could deal him i suppose if there is something terribly wrong with Kessels motivation.

To trade Kessel now might be the thing that saves our Play-off butts,and in effect gives Boston a lesser pick. Teams would want him. Maybe Burke gets his credability back by dumping a one trick pony for a all round player?

Just trade him and send the message that floaters aren't wanted wearing our logo!

Versteegs one trick pony act could go right behind him imo.

Versteeg is a much better rounded player then Kessel. He tends to float at times but he can be used in many situations and has been, it was done in Chicago last year and they won the cup.

Trading Kessel I agree with, with this one move Toronto would actually be on the right path to a proper re-build.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Legion of sheep? Sounds like the posters on this forum who constantly defend Burke and Kessel.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:57 AM
PhillyFrisco

Stopped reading here:

Quote:
He has three lousy goals in the past 18 games... Heck, John Mitchell could do that, and for a lot less money.
Kessel is clearly fed up with Wilson and is showing it by playing like he doesn't give a ****. It's not right but at the same time I do admire his rebellious efforts. Wilson has to go.

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
Regardless he's acting very selfish lately, which shouldn't be surprising given the way he comes off.
Kessel offered to play centre and a big part of what he's been doing at that position is playing a lot more responsibly in the defensive end. Doesn't sound very selfish to me.

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

To be fair guys, Cammalleri has been average at best, awful at worse numerous times this season. He struggled to do much of anything early on and had a handful of lazy, no effort games, none more evident than against Edmonton, wherein he contributed to us losing the game. I love the guy however this has definitely not been his year, at least this portion into the season. I would take him over Kessel because I believe he is the more consistent and ultimately superior player but just giving Kessel some defend here. Cammy has struggled too. He is coming around nicely though.

Frankly, what is burying Toronto this season is Ron Wilson. He may not be a poor coach, however he is certainly not a development styled one, and it shows, abundantly so. The team has simply given up on him and until Burke gets off his ego and lets Wilson go, I feel for the Leafs.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
BrentZ10

Kessel started the season just flying and playing a lot more physical than we had seen before. And it worked.

And then he just stopped doing those things. He's scared to cross the blue line with the puck.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:08 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post
Versteeg is a much better rounded player then Kessel. He tends to float at times but he can be used in many situations and has been, it was done in Chicago last year and they won the cup.

Trading Kessel I agree with, with this one move Toronto would actually be on the right path to a proper re-build.
Versteeg has been ok but his defensive work has not been anything to write home about,and his compete not as chippy as he should or could be. Yeah,maybe i'm a little harsh.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I just hate Berger

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I got it, since no one else did.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
To be fair guys, Cammalleri has been average at best, awful at worse numerous times this season. He struggled to do much of anything early on and had a handful of lazy, no effort games, none more evident than against Edmonton, wherein he contributed to us losing the game. I love the guy however this has definitely not been his year, at least this portion into the season. I would take him over Kessel because I believe he is the more consistent and ultimately superior player but just giving Kessel some defend here. Cammy has struggled too. He is coming around nicely though.

Frankly, what is burying Toronto this season is Ron Wilson. He may not be a poor coach, however he is certainly not a development styled one, and it shows, abundantly so. The team has simply given up on him and until Burke gets off his ego and lets Wilson go, I feel for the Leafs.
GTFO

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bobo Fett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
I just hate Berger
Why because he is right in this entire article?

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Bobo Fett*

Quote:
Oh good. Another kool-aid chugger. MLSE loves people like you, keep on pouring money into their pockets.

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

Can't recall anything I've read from Berger, but thought this article was spot on.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote