HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel Should Be Ashamed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
  #51
EucaLEAFtys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Underdark
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Wow.... a Berger article that I actually agree with. That's certainly a first.

Ph(a)il "The Pill" Kessel is exactly what Bruins fans told us he was, and yet, Burke couldn't see that (or, more likely, didn't want to). Now, we're stuck with him and his undeserved contract, probably for its duration because Burke won't likely trade him.

Let us now bask in the glory of Brian Burke and his ego. *gag*

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
  #52
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Wow. Berger is simply 100% correct. Seriously. Could not have said it better myself.

I think Burke did not evaluate Kessel's character too well either.. or lack thereof I should say!
Can I ask Leaf fans...WTF does Brian Burke evaluate well and why does he get so much hype/media attention...the guy to me seems as inept and "out to lunch" as any previous Leafs GM...including JFJ...seriously.

Kessel should be ashamed? I agree if you remove Kessels' name and insert Burkes'.....

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:18 PM
  #53
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Tyler Bozak is a B-Rated player. My brother could play better than him.

Btw, Hey Kessel, nice contract. You lazy ass!
Really? You rate him that high?

Another Burke empty wallet.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
  #54
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,963
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
GTFO
You a Habs fan or something, because the majority of my post was defending Kessel in comparison to Cammalleri, as ironic as that may be?

Or just one of those blind fans that spews on "insert rival team's fanbase" sucks?

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
  #55
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Can I ask Leaf fans...WTF does Brian Burke evaluate well and why does he get so much hype/media attention...the guy to me seems as inept and "out to lunch" as any previous Leafs GM...including JFJ...seriously.

Kessel should be ashamed? I agree if you remove Kessels' name and insert Burkes'.....
So... lol you like Kessel lol.


Last edited by leafspring*: 12-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.
leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
  #56
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Can I ask Leaf fans...WTF does Brian Burke evaluate well and why does he get so much hype/media attention...the guy to me seems as inept and "out to lunch" as any previous Leafs GM...including JFJ...seriously.

Kessel should be ashamed? I agree if you remove Kessels' name and insert Burkes'.....
Burke built one Stanley Cup team and the Canucks wouldn't be a Cup contender now without Burke's work.

Anything else I can help you with?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
  #57
Papadice
Registered User
 
Papadice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Oh good. More BS from Berger and his legion of sheep are eating it up.
well, when the people that normally slam Berger are praising him for this article, it goes to show that this isn't a case of mindless sheep eating up his BS...

I'm a fan of Kessel's skill... but at the moment, his lack of heart is driving me nuts... we have guys killing themselves out there to try and help this team win, but Kessel, who is supposed to be our best player, is now nothing more than a fancy inside out move and a good wrist shot... and even the shot, it used to be a lethal shot, now it's just good... he has to snap himself out of this...

what I want to see from Kessel, is effort and desire... sure, i want him to score goals... but when he's not scoring, as is the case now, i want to see him being valuable to the team anyways by doing everything he can to help the team win... a slumping goal scorer who doesn't do that is a waste of icetime... he needs to get his ass in gear and start winning some battles and helping the team out in other ways...

Papadice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
  #58
jtechkidbruin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
last 3 games

1, wins huge faceoff then screens the goalie as Versteeg scores the game winner- How abt that faceoff- He plays 20minutes in which 90% is against the best dmen in the east in chara- you guys want Intangibles - he goes against the top dmen every night. He scores GWG in the shootout.
2, He muscles out and frees up the puck for Grabo who passes for easy
goal(to tie it) against washington in which he got assist.
3, last night he plays 23 minutes, has 5 shots, and could have scored 2 goals but puck literally jumped over his stick which happens when you are in a slump.

Do you really think semin, stamkos, ryan could do anything big in toronto with these forwards. cmon--I think he is getting better and playing grt considering hes with 3rd line players or AHL players-

How abt the problem is Burke has most of the cap tied in the back end and has 4.5 with komi who plays 10 minutes and is awfull- i wont bring up Figer, lebda, or Kaberle being moved for a forward either. Kessel is secondary scorer and he needs guys like savard to open him up more but hes been fine compared to komi on defense. The problem is can you move any the dmen to get a stud forward? I understand kessel being a whipping boy because he makes 5mill but Komi makes 4.5mill and is going to the ahl.

jtechkidbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
  #59
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,845
vCash: 500
Last season when Kessel scored 2 goals in 24 game stretch, the general overused excuse was he missed training camp and was coming off an injury.

Now Kessel has only scored 3 goals in his last 20 games and its a whole new wave of excuses for his poor play this time around.

He was brought in to get the Leafs into the playoffs by scoring goals, and now its his very lack of contribution that is a main reason why the Leafs are on the outside looking in, because their so called best scorer and best forward is more of a distraction then actually making any real contribution.

So lets leave the excuses at the door, and perhaps start accepting what Leafs really have here on their hands with this player.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..

Last edited by Mess: 12-11-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
  #60
Ceux de Montreal
help
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,035
vCash: 500
God, no. Brian Burke should be amashed of himself, for luring Leafs fans thinking Phil Kessel is something he isnt. He misjudged Phil Kessel abilities to lift a team on his shoulder. He's just not a go-to-guy, a team offence can't focus on his unique skills, he's more of a support first line winger.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
  #61
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
God, no. Brian Burke should be amashed of himself, for luring Leafs fans thinking Phil Kessel is something he isnt. He misjudged Phil Kessel abilities to lift a team on his shoulder. He's just not a go-to-guy, a team offence can't focus on his unique skills, he's more of a support first line winger.
Which is what he is paid like.

Thanks anyway, move along.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
  #62
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
It all comes back to Burke as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing about Kessel's performance that doesn't completely mirror what happened with him in Boston. He rolled the dice on Kessel growing up in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
  #63
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Last season when Kessel scored 2 goals in 24 game stretch, the general overused excuse was he missed training camp and was coming off an injury.

Now Kessel has only score 3 goals in his last 20 games and its a whole new wave of excuses for his poor play this time around.

He was brought in to get the Leafs into the playoffs and now his very lack of contribution that is a main reason why the Leafs are on the outside looking in, because their so called best scorer is more of a distraction then actually making a contribution.

Lets leave the excuses at the door, and perhaps start accepting what Leafs really have here on their hands with this player.
Just what is it we have do you think? Trading him is a option,but you do realize he in fact does have high trade value. He might not fit in with the mix this team currently has,but there are teams he fits with,and could put them right over the top!

He is a 30 goal scorer on his own. The problems he has are to complex for a singular thing to explain his problems.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
  #64
jtechkidbruin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
God, no. Brian Burke should be amashed of himself, for luring Leafs fans thinking Phil Kessel is something he isnt. He misjudged Phil Kessel abilities to lift a team on his shoulder. He's just not a go-to-guy, a team offence can't focus on his unique skills, he's more of a support first line winger.
leave kessel- Grt posts because thats what he is no more or less.
Who ever thought he was crosby or ovechkin? He's a support guy with high skill and Burke has done nothing to get him a stud player. i think hes playing grt with the guys he lines up with who are basicly third line players. Pencil in semin or stamkos, ryan instead of kessel and these guys numbers would be way down.

jtechkidbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
  #65
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Which is what he is paid like.

Thanks anyway, move along.
Ignore the draft picks. Protect the hive.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
  #66
jtechkidbruin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtechkidbruin View Post
1, wins huge faceoff then screens the goalie as Versteeg scores the game winner- How abt that faceoff- He plays 20minutes in which 90% is against the best dmen in the east in chara- you guys want Intangibles - he goes against the top dmen every night. He scores GWG in the shootout.
2, He muscles out and frees up the puck for Grabo who passes for easy
goal(to tie it) against washington in which he got assist.
3, last night he plays 23 minutes, has 5 shots, and could have scored 2 goals but puck literally jumped over his stick which happens when you are in a slump.

Do you really think semin, stamkos, ryan could do anything big in toronto with these forwards. cmon--I think he is getting better and playing grt considering hes with 3rd line players or AHL players-

How abt the problem is Burke has most of the cap tied in the back end and has 4.5 with komi who plays 10 minutes and is awfull- i wont bring up Figer, lebda, or Kaberle being moved for a forward either. Kessel is secondary scorer and he needs guys like savard to open him up more but hes been fine compared to komi on defense. The problem is can you move any the dmen to get a stud forward? I understand kessel being a whipping boy because he makes 5mill but Komi makes 4.5mill and is going to the ahl.
Do you guys give him any credit? Does he lead team in goals and GWG, icetime?

jtechkidbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
  #67
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
He was fine for the first 10 games... he had 7 goals in those 10 games.
Since that he has been very quiet. The chemistry we saw late last year between Kessel, Bozak and Kulemin was very promising.

But that is gone now, partially because there is pressure to win (we're not mathematically out of the playoffs yet) and Wilson decided to slot Kulemin on the 2nd line since the start of the season/since Versteeg got here.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
  #68
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Just what is it we have do you think? Trading him is a option,but you do realize he in fact does have high trade value. He might not fit in with the mix this team currently has,but there are teams he fits with,and could put them right over the top!

He is a 30 goal scorer on his own. The problems he has are to complex for a singular thing to explain his problems.
If you think that there is even the smallest chance of Kessel getting traded you're out to lunch. Will not happen.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
  #69
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 50
remember last year when people were pooing bricks because he went into a slump at the same time? Remember that he got out of it? Get over it. Berger is an idiot and knows as much about hockey as ron wilson

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:46 PM
  #70
tpc77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
It all comes back to Burke as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing about Kessel's performance that doesn't completely mirror what happened with him in Boston. He rolled the dice on Kessel growing up in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform.
Guess what?
He is still growing up.

Very much tired of everyone thinking that a player is as good as they will ever be and will act as mature as they ever will when they are 23 years old......

Yes, Kessel seems to be feeling a bit sorry for himself and his lack of production and quality players to play with.
Being a 23 year old, guys aren't always mature enough to get through it alone and do the "proper" thing as an expected offensive leader.

Not everyone is Crosby people.
Even Ovechkin has two studs to play with, 3 if you can the offensive abilities of Green on the point.

Let's just take a step back and watch it unfold. This is a microcosm of the higher than realistic expectations of this young hockey team.

We are younger than Edmonton, but the effin media makes excuses for them all the time as a "young" team finding their way.

However, they are like, why the heck can't the leafs win and be a guarantee for the playoffs?

BECAUSE WE ARE EFFIN YOUNG AND HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE! Being 20-25 is not old and mature in this league. Especially when most guys have a max of 2-3 years in the league.

There's my rant..... Geeze this stuff pisses me off

tpc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
  #71
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtechkidbruin View Post
Do you guys give him any credit? Does he lead team in goals and GWG, icetime?
I give him credit,but he needs to understand that he is still developing. His game like most players needs constant tweeks. He shouldn't feel the pressure as long as he is scoring,but he should feel the pressure to evolve his game defensively,and strive to get better every game.

I maintain at this point he is still developing,and give him lots of slack actually.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
  #72
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
If you think that there is even the smallest chance of Kessel getting traded you're out to lunch. Will not happen.
never say never.is this your set up to now slag burke?

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
  #73
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 50
Its funny people forget this kid is 23 years old. Hes not a veteran and still has A TON of things to learn about the game. Hes 23 years old. Hes a young kid, and all young players make mistakes. Hes no where near his prime and hasnt come close to his potential. Its minus 10 outside and still people are heated over nothing

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:55 PM
  #74
tpc77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I give him credit,but he needs to understand that he is still developing. His game like most players needs constant tweeks. He shouldn't feel the pressure as long as he is scoring,but he should feel the pressure to evolve his game defensively,and strive to get better every game.

I maintain at this point he is still developing,and give him lots of slack actually.

Agreed. He should take these slumps as an opportunity to improve his overall game and feel as if he is contributing in other ways than scoring goals.

Then, we he inevitably gets scoring again (which he will) he can put the pieces together to become this better overall player in the future.

I really wish he would stop looking like he is scared to be touched though. He shys away from puck protection and loses possesion in the offensive zone way too easily.

However, this could be said for many of our forwards. This is one of the most lacking issues with our forward group. We could really use some mroe grit and size for the cycle game......

tpc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
  #75
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
What's everyones definition of a slump? Because Kessel has been average at best since the end of October.

Watching him play, he just doesn't care. He rarely works hard without the puck, and when he does have the puck he tries the exact same move every time. He played far better last season, even late in the year, with less of a team around him.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.