HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel Should Be Ashamed

Old
12-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Who did the B's want to trade? Be serious, they were laughing all the way to the draft table at Burkie...they knew what they had, and were glad when he was gone...
Maybe in revisionist HFBoards world, yeah.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:40 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Who did the B's want to trade? Be serious, they were laughing all the way to the draft table at Burkie...they knew what they had, and were glad when he was gone...
No, Chiarelli apologized to the fans after making the trade.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Boston didn't want to trade Kessel.

Seems like my job around here is to remind everyone what actually happened.
They also didn't want to pay him anywhere near his market value.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

AND to think we could of had Kessel at the 2009 draft for Kaberle and 1st round pick but burke turned it down.. what a joke

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
AND to think we could of had Kessel at the 2009 draft for Kaberle and 1st round pick but burke turned it down.. what a joke
How do you know that was on the table? Were you there? Not everything that you read in the media should be taken at face value.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Edgeworth*

There should be a Leafs Nation Strikeforce that changes all Kessel jerseys to GRABOVSKI jerseys, and they'll all have a pineapple patch on the front. TORONTO CITRUS APPLES

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
If Burke really wanted to help the Bruins he would have made that trade.

Old
12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Tongue and cheek... Chia made out like Sam Pollock on that one...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Tongue and cheek... Chia made out like Sam Pollock on that one...
I'm sure you've been tossed for trolling before.

Old
12-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Kessel is an embarrassment to the Maple Leafs.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Last season when Kessel scored 2 goals in 24 game stretch, the general overused excuse was he missed training camp and was coming off an injury.

Now Kessel has only score 3 goals in his last 20 games and its a whole new wave of excuses for his poor play this time around.

He was brought in to get the Leafs into the playoffs by scoring goals, and now its his very lack of contribution that is a main reason why the Leafs are on the outside looking in, because their so called best scorer and best forward is more of a distraction then actually making any real contribution.

So lets leave the excuses at the door, and perhaps start accepting what Leafs really have here on their hands with this player.
Very mature and accurate assessment. He is a very good one-dimensional player WHEN HE WANTS TO BE and that isn't, unfortunately, very often right now. Was invisible in the past four times I have seen him play (over past 7 of his games). He peels off when it looks like he might get hit, chases loose pucks with a "whatever" attitude, and seems to sulk if not set up perfectly every shift. Brian Burke has a reputation for looking for "character" and this is one time when he seemingly missed the mark by a wide margin. If you put Ryan Kesler compete mentality and drive into Kessel's talent package, you may have a player worth the enormous pricetag and trade package used to obtain Kessel. Is such a transformation possible?

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

this is painful to read, but mostly true.

he was a different player last year coming into Toronto. There's something mentally bothering him. Probably a combination of the media (shy personality) and I guarantee he doesn't love Wilson.

He can't be the focal point of the team. Burke needs to find another go to, top player to take the spotlight away and Kessel will find his groove.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
They also didn't want to pay him anywhere near his market value.
they had to choose between him or krejci and they felt dk had more character and would make them stronger down the road. Kessel had locker room issues.

Wpg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:26 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
they had to choose between him or krejci and they felt dk had more character and would make them stronger down the road. Kessel had locker room issues.
That may be true. I was responding to a post that said Boston didn't want to trade Kessel, which isn't really true considering how they treated him as a RFA. All quality young RFA's were getting decent 5 year deals and they low balled Kessel with a 3 year deal worth less than $4 mil a season.

It's funny though that they were willing to spend $3.3 mil on Morris, but that's a whole other topic that can be debated.

Old
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
That may be true. I was responding to a post that said Boston didn't want to trade Kessel, which isn't really true considering how they treated him as a RFA. All quality young RFA's were getting decent 5 year deals and they low balled Kessel with a 3 year deal worth less than $4 mil a season.

It's funny though that they were willing to spend $3.3 mil on Morris, but that's a whole other topic that can be debated.
Kessel isn't worth more than $4 million per season. I'd probably top out at $3 million for him with how he plays.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
Locker room issues were a myth made up by the Boston media because of Kessel's past of a "poor locker room guy". If he was such a bad locker room guy why is he still close friends with Krejci, Wheeler and Lucic?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Kessel is just in a slump. No one was saying stuff like this at the start of the year when he had like 7 goals in his first 7 games. People have such short memories and it leads to crap like this. Honestly, he is a great player and is having some issues but he will find his game again.
I still remember the "Kessel is RPG" thread.

Nifty.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Landeskog

kessel has to go, wilson has to go, burkie has to go. many others need to go.. let's face it the MLSE tried to bring in a GM who they felt could win and he has done nothing but make tons of money and make this team suck...

at least JFJ made the playoffs..

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:14 PM
PJStock42*

Not trying to troll here, but I tuned into the LeafsTalk show tonight to see if i could catch this "Dave from Vancouver" I keep hearing about.

I guess I was too late, but they played Kessel's post game interview and I burst out laughing. He's not a bad guy, but my god his interviews are terrible.

Has Kessel played with Grabovski before? Looks like Grabovski is putting up some decent numbers this year but from what I've seen Kessel doesn't play on his wing.

PJStock42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:18 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Kessel isn't worth more than $4 million per season. I'd probably top out at $3 million for him with how he plays.
Based on the last month, maybe, but let's be realistic: Kessel, coming of a 30+ goal season in Boston at age 21 was worth quite a bit more than Boston was offering. Just look at some of the other RFA deals of the past 3 years and you'll see he was worth around $5 million. Even Boston handed out some of those RFA deals to Lucic and Krejci, and proceeded to give Derek Morris slightly less than they were offering Kessel.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Jeri

Kessel has been an inconsistent floater this season. If he was an FA signed for $5.4mill then maybe, not THAT bad. Considering the price we paid to get him? ****ing brutal.

Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
To be fair guys, Cammalleri has been average at best, awful at worse numerous times this season. He struggled to do much of anything early on and had a handful of lazy, no effort games, none more evident than against Edmonton, wherein he contributed to us losing the game. I love the guy however this has definitely not been his year, at least this portion into the season. I would take him over Kessel because I believe he is the more consistent and ultimately superior player but just giving Kessel some defend here. Cammy has struggled too. He is coming around nicely though.

Frankly, what is burying Toronto this season is Ron Wilson. He may not be a poor coach, however he is certainly not a development styled one, and it shows, abundantly so. The team has simply given up on him and until Burke gets off his ego and lets Wilson go, I feel for the Leafs.
Couldn't be more wrong. I'm a Habs fan living in TO so i do watch a lot of the Leafs games (i try to be unbiased).

The problem with the Leafs is as follows...
1)Brian Burke and those that THINK he's actually a good GM. He's won 1 Stanley Cup, but he did NOT, i repeat DID NOT build the team that won it. He literally signed 1 player in Pronger as Neidermyer wanted to play with his bother before retiring and it was reported before the signing happened. So essentially all Burke did was work on signing Pronger as Neids was a given. He DID NOT draft Perry, Getzlaf or anyone else.

2)They spent to much on BAD dmen. Habs fans were not upset at losing a Komisarek as a player but we were upset because we felt betrayed. Most of us knew he was a bad dman, and it started showing after Lucic destroyed him multiple times. He cannot move the puck at all, makes poor decisions in his on zone etc. He is not worth 4.5m. When Markov went down it was even more evident that he had the McCabe syndrome. Sucks without an elite dman with him. Beauchemin is like Komisarek, but he can actually make a pass. Phaneuf??? My god, because a guy has a hard shot and can hit does NOT make him a good dman. They will eventually learn this.
Schenn is their best dman. The kid needs to be partnered with a guy like Lidstrom and people will see that he's actually really really good. He's good without a good partner.

3)Kessel deal is going to bite them in the ass. Kessel is not a superstar nor an elite player. Those are classified for players that make their line mates star players (ie:Crosby, Getzlaf, Backstrom). Kessel is a poacher. He will not win them pucks nor battle for them either. Guys like those do not win cups. He does not work in his own zone at all.

4)MLSE and the "Board." They don't care. They are afraid of a repeat of the Jays. Before the Jays won the World Series people would go to the games. They win. Everything is ok. They win again, people stop going because the excitement is over. They are afraid of it happening because the profit made off TV, merchandise, tickets and etc is oh so good.

I honestly feel bad for the fans. They charge WAY to much for tickets for a horrible product. They have a horrible GM. Christ at this point I'd give Cherry a shot if he wanted it. The Board needs to higher the right people, and fire the people that have killed this team for so long. Starting with the dual presidency of Petty and Tanebaum (sp?).

The media needs to stop nitpicking at everything that happens with the team and stop hyping every single player that wears the jersey, then complain when they don't perform. If they actually said how it is or actually watched more then just the Leafs they'd educate themselves.

The Monster is a good goalie but he's not going to lead you into a playoff series win. He doesn't have the right guys infront of him.

I honestly can't listen to AM640 anymore because Bill Watters is an idiot (and i've meet him more then once) especially when I heard what about he said about Price. There's a reason why he was fired by MLSE. So he really should be criticizing anyone.

Honestly Doug MacLean and Kipper are the only 2 that know what they are talking about.

Honestly the Leafs should sign player for no more then $850k for the next 3-4 years to replenish their prospect pool.

Just my opinion on this whole situation. I'm a hockey fan 1st and a Habs fan 2nd.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:31 PM
ldnk

I'm ashamed that Berger's blogs are considered news and worthy of threads.

Kessel is to struggling hockey player as Berger is to whiny faux-media.

ldnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Kalhua

Kessel has had chances something is wrong with him...no idea what it is.

Maybe just confidence

Kalhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
patty59

Quote:
No he didn't.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote