HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau Appreciation Thread

Old
12-14-2010, 01:13 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Jamie Baker calling him out tonight surprised me.
Really? What did he say?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Really? What did he say?
He said he's been floating in the O and not even really trying to play D. Basically saying that he's not putting in the effort. He commented on Heatley not be that great a skater, but at least he's trying and making some good plays on the back check.

He did mention that he played "better" tonight.

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:16 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
He said he's been floating in the O and not even really trying to play D. Basically saying that he's not putting in the effort. He did mention that he played "better" tonight.
Well as long as he played "better" (as if that would have been hard to do).

Seriously, I think that the assist on Joslin's goal, however meaningless, may have more meaning that we previously assigned it.

And Joe's been off since the suspension... STUPID NHL!

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:29 AM
coooldude

Quote:
Yeah, he's doing the same in the Ice Girls thread. He onaroll
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I guess he's not in favor of ice girls with big guts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
You're totally ruining the fun.
Sorry to rain on your parade, bro-dude-guys!

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:12 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He said he's been floating in the O and not even really trying to play D. Basically saying that he's not putting in the effort. He commented on Heatley not be that great a skater, but at least he's trying and making some good plays on the back check.

He did mention that he played "better" tonight.
That was pretty surprising to me too. There was a time when Drew called out Joe for lackadaisical play a couple years ago. Thornton was pissed and the next time Drew interviewed him gave one word answers. Its a risk for a broadcaster to take that stand.

There is no question Patty is not on his best game. That said, its not the worst stretch I've seen him play either. He's actually finishing checks with authority more often than any time in his career. On occasion he is skating again and the real back of the milk carton Patty floated and didn't finish checks either.

Tonight he played a little better IMO, using his speed on occasion. Let's hope that's a trend. Its going to be hard for the top line to do anything if Marleau is a lamp post when its five on five on the entry. And the team will be a contender only if Marleau decides he wants to use his immense talent again.

12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Hold the Pickles

I agree that he's skating fast here and there. But he seems to be getting too comfortable with the 'blazing into the o-zone and peeling back just after the blue line' move. It's getting predictable. Maybe it's case and point that he needs a fast line mate but still, he should be forcing the d deeper opening it up for his buddies. chip and recover or go inside out or something. The way hes doing it is just wasting his speed and in a potentially dangerous turnover area.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I agree that he's skating fast here and there. But he seems to be getting too comfortable with the 'blazing into the o-zone and peeling back just after the blue line' move. It's getting predictable. Maybe it's case and point that he needs a fast line mate but still, he should be forcing the d deeper opening it up for his buddies. chip and recover or go inside out or something. The way hes doing it is just wasting his speed and in a potentially dangerous turnover area.
last season he stopped doing that and start scoring. This year hes reverted to his old ways.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:28 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
last season he stopped doing that and start scoring. This year hes reverted to his old ways.
It drives me crazy. No one else in the league does it as often as Marleau does. I do think he had has best game since before Thanksgiving last night.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You want Marleau to blaze into the O-Zone and hopefully someone follows.

The move that he makes to check up and push back defenders to get space is a result of him being in the zone alone and is a statement of the lack of speed around him. His only other options when he is in by himself is drive to the net alone, chip off the board and chase down the puck with no support, or just shoot. Those aren't high percentage plays. He doesn't ever check up when he is with players. He looks for a pass or shot on goal.

That is one of several reasons Marleau is a better wing than centre. His speed down the side gets defenders backing up instead of angling off to the wall and allows the Sharks to keep posession instead of dumping and fighting for recovery. That allows space for the rest of the line to join the play and find seams.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
He doesn't ever check up when he is with players. He looks for a pass or shot on goal.
I think on further review you might have changed the word "ever". Personally I think it happens quite often lately.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Quote:
The move that he makes to check up and push back defenders to get space is a result of him being in the zone alone and is a statement of the lack of speed around him. His only other options when he is in by himself is drive to the net alone, chip off the board and chase down the puck with no support, or just shoot.
WineShark is right. Also, Patty drove to the net at least twice from the right wing last night. He pulls up when the D is well positioned or too deep and it often ends up with a decent shot on goal from a trailer.

Last night when the D was pressing a little harder, Patty used his speed and took it hard to the net. Good scoring chance. Although he had some "grip the stick" moments and some bad giveaways, I was happy with his effort last night. He was skating hard and finishing checks. Obviously something's off, but better that he's working than not.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
gonegonegone*

Marleau has always done really poorly after signing a new contract. Remember the extension he signed followed by the absolute worst year of his career? I don't think anyone should be too surprised of his subpar play.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:31 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
Marleau has always done really poorly after signing a new contract. Remember the extension he signed followed by the absolute worst year of his career? I don't think anyone should be too surprised of his subpar play.
That was one odd season though. He signed a contract after the lock-out and got his career high that season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
one2gamble

Quote:

The move that he makes to check up and push back defenders to get space is a result of him being in the zone alone and is a statement of the lack of speed around him. His only other options when he is in by himself is drive to the net alone, chip off the board and chase down the puck with no support, or just shoot. Those aren't high percentage plays. He doesn't ever check up when he is with players. He looks for a pass or shot on goal.

That is one of several reasons Marleau is a better wing than centre. His speed down the side gets defenders backing up instead of angling off to the wall and allows the Sharks to keep posession instead of dumping and fighting for recovery. That allows space for the rest of the line to join the play and find seams.

Im sorry but he needs to take the puck to the damn net. Look around the league, the other fast talented wingers drive to the net MORE than they check up. The trailer should get there for a rebound regardless. Of course he shouldnt go to the net every time but he should do it more often than he does. Its not that he should stop checking up, its just about as predictable as Clowes backhand.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Im sorry but he needs to take the puck to the damn net. Look around the league, the other fast talented wingers drive to the net MORE than they check up. The trailer should get there for a rebound regardless. Of course he shouldnt go to the net every time but he should do it more often than he does. Its not that he should stop checking up, its just about as predictable as Clowes backhand.
You take what the defenders give you. If there are 2 defenders with position, you aren't going to be able to split them and walk in very often. If its a one-on-one play then Patty can go to the net and did last night.

I think Marleau has one of the best skill sets of any forward in the League, but am at best lukewarm on him as a player because of his vanishing acts. But being critical for his decisions when he is skating and when he is putting out effort is beyond the pale for me. If he skates as he is capable, this team is much harder to beat.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarkus View Post
Free avatar!
Thanks!

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
You take what the defenders give you. If there are 2 defenders with position, you aren't going to be able to split them and walk in very often. If its a one-on-one play then Patty can go to the net and did last night.

I think Marleau has one of the best skill sets of any forward in the League, but am at best lukewarm on him as a player because of his vanishing acts. But being critical for his decisions when he is skating and when he is putting out effort is beyond the pale for me. If he skates as he is capable, this team is much harder to beat.
A lot of players check up at the blue line, but I don't like he the way he spins to the boards when he does it. A good example of a player who checks up well is Datsyuk, when he checks up he keeps his body facing the net and caries the puck lateraly toward the center of the ice while Marleau pulls it back toward the point. When he puts his back to the defenseman like that it completely staals the attack even if there are other forwards coming into join the rush.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:55 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
I noticed once the other night when he skated in and built a wall, and tried to take it to the hole. I'd like to see more of that. Even though the play didn't work, the crowd gave an "ohhhh" like it was a close call. Point being, charging the net is always good.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think on further review you might have changed the word "ever". Personally I think it happens quite often lately.
Fair comment. "Ever" is a high level of consistency.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:

I agree you want him to drive the defenders back and generally, him peeling back only happens when he's 1 on 2 (unfortunately and increasing occurrence). But until he gets another fast linemate, what he's doing isn't working--he is just not getting deep enough to buy enough time for his buddies to catch up and he gets pinched along the boards between the faceoff dot and the blueline (usually closer to the blueline). Heck even if he just held it lower against the boards instead of peeling back or move back toward the blueline so quickly, it would be better than painting himself into a corner due to slow linemates.

I understand some of my suggestions are lower % plays. But if you continue to choose the same option it becomes easier for the opposition to defend. He needs to change it up so that the opposition isn't certain what he'll do, so they can't play him as tight allowing him to get deeper. He's becoming predictable and that just doesn't work.

I'd say move Mitchell on his line but, his D skills, along with his speed seem to be needed elsewhere.

Last edited by Hold the Pickles: 12-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
I agree you want him to drive the defenders back and generally, him peeling back only happens when he's 1 on 2 (unfortunately and increasing occurrence). But until he gets another fast linemate, what he's doing isn't working--he is just not getting deep enough to buy enough time for his buddies to catch up and he gets pinched along the boards between the faceoff dot and the blueline (usually closer to the blueline). Heck even if he just held it lower against the boards instead of peeling back or move back toward the blueline so quickly, it would be better than painting himself into a corner do to slow linemates.

I understand some of my suggestions are lower % plays. But if you continue to choose the same option it becomes easier for the opposition to defend. He needs to change it up so that the opposition isn't certain what he'll do, so they can't play him as tight allowing him to get deeper. He's becoming predictable and that just doesn't work.

I'd say move Mitchell on his line but, his D skills, along with his speed seem to be needed elsewhere.
So something like this?

Marleau-Thornton-Seto
Clowe-Couture-Ferriero
Mitchell-Pavelski-Heatley
McGinn-Nichol-Mayers

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Patrick Marleau is just an inconsistent hockey player who doesn't try hard enough.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
ClicheGuevara

So last night I had a fewtoomanydrinks and must have lurked this thread before I fell asleep because I had the stupidest dream where Marleau got in a fight with Suter. In the process his shoulder pads and jersey came off and the sight of his belly set the internet ablaze. But if it actually happens I am a prophet and should be revered as such.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
That was pretty surprising to me too. There was a time when Drew called out Joe for lackadaisical play a couple years ago. Thornton was pissed and the next time Drew interviewed him gave one word answers. Its a risk for a broadcaster to take that stand.
When did this happen? Especially the interview...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
When did this happen? Especially the interview...
I think I remember this... or maybe I'm imagining it.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote