HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Right Thing Sabres: Retire # 39

Old
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
It's called the Sabres Hall of Fame. The only numbers hanging should be 2, 11 and 39. No one else did enough here to merit it, IMO.
That's pretty much where I have been on the issue. I wouldnt mind seeing the other jerseys in the rafters- just not as retired, but honored or whatever

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Tsujimoto

We have waaaay too many retired numbers for a franchise that's never won the Cup.

Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujimoto View Post
We have waaaay too many retired numbers for a franchise that's never won the Cup.
This.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Mr Orangeshirt

Quote:
What is the criterion for that then?

Is there a certain amount of retired numbers per cup? Or is it just "Win a cup, and you can retire all the jerseys you see fit."?

Should the retired numbers be only from the cup winning team(s)?

So many rules......

Mr Orangeshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:44 PM
The Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Top 3 goalie of all time? Really? Man, you must not have seen him play.
Dominik Hasek, hands down, was the greatest goaltender to ever play the game of hockey, period.

He single handedly did things that no other goalie has ever, and I mean ever, done.
He carried this organization to the Stanley Cup Finals, and I might add, didn't loose the game, that was the refs, not him.

People can say what they like about Sawchuk, but he didn't play against the talent Hasek did and at the speed of the game Hasek had to.

Dominic Hasek was the greatest goaltender to ever sit between the pipes to date. This isn't even debatable when you take all of the variables into consideration.
Your variables are based on your personal opinion. What about guys like Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur? Discounting Sawchuck or Dryden or even Jocques Plante appears to 'homer' like in my opinion. He was great but my award still goes to a couple of other guys... and yes it is debatable.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Top 3 goalie of all time? Really? Man, you must not have seen him play.
Dominik Hasek, hands down, was the greatest goaltender to ever play the game of hockey, period.

He single handedly did things that no other goalie has ever, and I mean ever, done.
He carried this organization to the Stanley Cup Finals, and I might add, didn't loose the game, that was the refs, not him.

People can say what they like about Sawchuk, but he didn't play against the talent Hasek did and at the speed of the game Hasek had to.

Dominic Hasek was the greatest goaltender to ever sit between the pipes to date. This isn't even debatable when you take all of the variables into consideration.

Totally agree. And I don't care if he gets his number retired or not. The fans can boo at the ceremony if it ever does happen.
Does anyone have a transcript of what Hasek said when he left Buffalo? I remember seeing it on TV, but that was sooo long ago.
And how would you feel if Ryan Miller did the same thing and decided to leave three years from now? Are we surrounding him with the best talent we can??

Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
And how would you feel if Ryan Miller did the same thing and decided to leave three years from now? Are we surrounding him with the best talent we can??
I would feel the same way...Has nothing to do with the talent around him..If Miller feels that way, than he should have some class and keep him mouth shut upon exit.

Something Hasek didn't do during his time here...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
Totally agree. And I don't care if he gets his number retired or not. The fans can boo at the ceremony if it ever does happen.
Does anyone have a transcript of what Hasek said when he left Buffalo? I remember seeing it on TV, but that was sooo long ago.
Miller is so far from having his number retired.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Let's give hasek the respect when it's due. Personally I don,t want to see another goalie get applauded unless he starts.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:55 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Heck ya'...I have always thought that but never said it. Team only being 40 years old too....then you get the opposite end, Le Sacre Blue. Like in 40 years their number will be like 104, 110, etc...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

He was rumored to be a bit of a nutter and a winning-razed maniac...

But, not only was he the face of the franchise for a decade, but also (IMO) the best goalie in the sports history, and to add to that, for all his jerk reputation, the guy organized multple charity events / organizations in the city (from what I've been told anyway).

Hell, in the end, he can't have been THAT big of a jerk when you see this...
http://www.haseksheroes.org/dnn/Abou...0/Default.aspx

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Tsujimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orangeshirt View Post
What is the criterion for that then?

Is there a certain amount of retired numbers per cup? Or is it just "Win a cup, and you can retire all the jerseys you see fit."?

Should the retired numbers be only from the cup winning team(s)?

So many rules......
3 numbers per Cup. So we need to win 3 Cups before we can even think about retiring any more numbers.

Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote