HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers pick at 6 - rumors from Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2004, 03:17 PM
rnyquist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
but take a look at what goalies have returned in trades in recent years...kiprusoff got a 2nd rounder, cechmanek got a 4th rounder, etc...so unless the trade market for goalies drastically changes odds are you aren't going to get a player in the deal as good as the skater you could pick at #6
I agree, and look at Buffalo, 3 pretty good goalies and yet they won't get a player warranting their talent. The goalie market is so bad that a guy like Cujo couldn't be given away. Think about it, everyteam but THREE have star goalie prospects, and believe me it won't get any better.

Old
06-20-2004, 06:06 PM
KING

Best of both worlds for Stafford

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040618/nhl_draft-mck.html

Old
06-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I'd be surprised if Sather passed on Olesz as well, but perhaps (I haven't read the article itself yet, maybe it's mentioned and maybe it isn't) Matheson is assuming the top 5 will be Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Montoya.

Ladd and Tukonen are supposedly supposed to go around this point, I'm not particularly high on Ladd, maybe the Rangers aren't either, same could be true with Tukonen.

I guess I'm saying I could easily see how NYR might have Stafford as their BPA in that situation, and they might not be wrong either?
im just going by the post from the edmonton board but he makes it sound as matheson says the order will be as follows, "So, the top 6 might be Ovechkin, Malkin, Tukonen, Barker, Montoya, Stafford"

ladd is a very safe pick, exactly the type of pick the rangers need if olesz and barker are off the board, we have 2 blue chips at goal but we are lacking on top line players, we dont need a goalie or at least not with the #6 pick

Old
06-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Edge

I really don't think the Rangers take Stafford at 6, though I could see them making a trade and taking him with another pick.

I wouldn't mind adding Stafford, just not at 6.

Old
06-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
but take a look at what goalies have returned in trades in recent years...kiprusoff got a 2nd rounder, cechmanek got a 4th rounder, etc...so unless the trade market for goalies drastically changes odds are you aren't going to get a player in the deal as good as the skater you could pick at #6
And Dunham got Nashville the 5th top scoring defenseman in the NHL and also Kloucek and Murray. I guess we're the only team to overpay for a goaltender.

Old
06-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Chief

We've got Stafford ranked #7 at younggunshockey.com and think his detractors will be surprised by the career he carves out for himself in the NHL. This kid does not lack skills. I do think that most people who have Stafford going to the Rangers or Phoenix are doing so not just because of the kid's skills but because the kid's uncle was (and might still be) an Edmonton trainer and the people who were around the Oilers, like Gretzky and Sather, know the kid and his family real well. Obviously, they have a better knowledge of this kid's background and his development than they do for probably the other 99% of the players in this draft.

Old
06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
you should pick montoya and trade him to us (Calgary) for Lydman and Commodore
Id assume it would take more than that.

Clark, Saprykyn, and Lydman and we will throw in a 2nd rounder

j/k Im not good at proposals

Old
06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Barnaby

I would have no problem taking Stafford as long as it wasn't 6th overall. If we traded up our second pick to 10-14 for him, then that would be fine. I'd rather nab a high risk/reward forward or d-man with that second pick, but Stafford could be a nice core player me thinks. I don't think he sounds like a star, but a hard working and dedicated 2nd liner would be a fine addition to our forward ranks. With all the Euro's we were able to trade for he could give us a bit more NA grit.

Old
06-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
1) BPA BPA BPA! If it's Montoya or Schwarz, so be it.

2) Stafford? Big, defensively sound, hard-working, American forward playing in the NCAA? Sounds like a Sather sort of pick. Yeah, I hear bad things about his offensive upside, but I could imagine worse. Ladd and Olesz certainly both sound more exciting, but neither of them are supposed to be offensive wunderkinds either. And Olesz still has that concussion . . . eh, I dunno. I wouldn't be doing cartwheels down the street, but I can see it being a good pick.

I still think it's going to be Thelen, to be perfectly honest . . .
Having seen Stafford play some, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a 3rd liner or at least a player that might take a while to develop and would end up coming good on another team.

Old
06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I would have no problem taking Stafford as long as it wasn't 6th overall.
Like I already said, we have Stafford ranked #7 overall but I agree with you. If I really wanted Stafford and I had the 6th pick, I would strongly consider a trade down to get something else of value.

Old
06-22-2004, 01:36 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Like I already said, we have Stafford ranked #7 overall but I agree with you. If I really wanted Stafford and I had the 6th pick, I would strongly consider a trade down to get something else of value.
While i don't have stafford #7, i do agree that if Sather wants Stafford that badly move down, taking him at #6 would be a waste of a pick especially when you could move down, get an extra 2nd and be ok

Old
06-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
While i don't have stafford #7, i do agree that if Sather wants Stafford that badly move down, taking him at #6 would be a waste of a pick especially when you could move down, get an extra 2nd and be ok
There is some assumption in there. The people below us may not be interested in trading up. Sure, you inquire, or sit back and see who inquires. But if Stafford's the guy for us, then we can't go down more than about 2 spots and still be fairly sure he'll be there. See if Carolina will give us something to leapfrog over Florida. Then see if Florida will give us something to keep us from doing that. See about Anaheim. If none of them bite, you have to just make your pick.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
speeds

more fuel for the stafford fire, this from a different reporter in EDM.

Not sure if he's just taking this from Matheson, or he has a source with NYR, he words it as so likely one would think he's got a source, but who knows?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...23/510397.html

the part of interest (though the whole article isn't all bad either):

While Lowe and Prendergast insist they'll get a prospect they want with the 14th pick, landing one of the kids they covet - Andrew Ladd, Drew Stafford, Robbie Schremp and Alexandre Picard - might demand a trade.

Stafford, a big right-winger from North Dakota, won't make it past the sixth pick. The New York Rangers will take him. If the Oilers are as hot for Stafford as I believe they are, Lowe will have to strike a deal with Chicago, Columbus or Phoenix. That, or take a stroll to the Rangers table for a chat with Glen Sather.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:
more fuel for the stafford fire, this from a different reporter in EDM.

Not sure if he's just taking this from Matheson, or he has a source with NYR, he words it as so likely one would think he's got a source, but who knows?

the part of interest (though the whole article isn't all bad either):

While Lowe and Prendergast insist they'll get a prospect they want with the 14th pick, landing one of the kids they covet - Andrew Ladd, Drew Stafford, Robbie Schremp and Alexandre Picard - might demand a trade.

Stafford, a big right-winger from North Dakota, won't make it past the sixth pick. The New York Rangers will take him. If the Oilers are as hot for Stafford as I believe they are, Lowe will have to strike a deal with Chicago, Columbus or Phoenix. That, or take a stroll to the Rangers table for a chat with Glen Sather.
I think Glen is trying to trick other teams again, as usuall. I think its a bluff.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:

Stafford, a big right-winger from North Dakota, won't make it past the sixth pick. The New York Rangers will take him. If the Oilers are as hot for Stafford as I believe they are, Lowe will have to strike a deal with Chicago, Columbus or Phoenix. That, or take a stroll to the Rangers table for a chat with Glen Sather. [/B]
At the risk of being obvious, one must wonder if this situation can be described under the smoke/fire dichotomy, or is it just "blowing smoke"?

Old
06-23-2004, 08:57 AM
True Blue

I just cannot see a scenario where the Rangers leave either of Olesz or Ladd on the floor in favor of Stafford. And think that one of the two will be available (more than likely by way of Montoya going somewhere in the top 5 or even someone like a Tukonen going in top 5). Taking Stafford when either Olesz or Ladd is still available would be the typical type of mistake that Sather makes.
No, I thinkt that in order for Edmonton to get Stafford, they will have to make a deal with either Carolina or Anaheim. You gotta figure that Tukonen will go before him, so it will be up to whatever team to see if they want Thelen or Stafford.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
At the risk of being obvious, one must wonder if this situation can be described under the smoke/fire dichotomy, or is it just "blowing smoke"?

Maybe just blowing.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I just cannot see a scenario where the Rangers leave either of Olesz or Ladd on the floor in favor of Stafford. And think that one of the two will be available (more than likely by way of Montoya going somewhere in the top 5 or even someone like a Tukonen going in top 5). Taking Stafford when either Olesz or Ladd is still available would be the typical type of mistake that Sather makes.
No, I thinkt that in order for Edmonton to get Stafford, they will have to make a deal with either Carolina or Anaheim. You gotta figure that Tukonen will go before him, so it will be up to whatever team to see if they want Thelen or Stafford.
Personally, I think the pick will be Ladd. However, there are a few people who see Stafford's upside as high as Ladd's - CHIEF (who runs Younggunshockey) and Olierschick are very high on him. And, he does fit the profile of the type of player the Rangers have been drafting. Like I said, I'd rather have Ladd, but, I don't see Stafford as a disaster.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:20 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Like I said, I'd rather have Ladd, but, I don't see Stafford as a disaster.
Maybe I did not sound right. I think that Stafford may develop into a nice 2nd line player. No, he is not a disaster for whomever takes him. But I would not take him if Olesz or Ladd are still available. I think that leaving either of those 2 on the table in favor of Stafford, would be a classic Sather mistake. Heck, I would even go one further and say that I would not take Stafford if Thelen is around (which he will be). I may even go one further and say that I would take Montoya ahead of him.

Closed Thread