HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post #470: Zherdev lower body injury, not likely to play January 6th

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 12:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Zherdev will never replace Gagne's work on the defensive side of the puck, but nobody expected him to. We have other players to pick that up. His play of late has been very good. if he can stay focused he will be fine. Lavi seems to have gotten his attention lately.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
He's been getting involved and working hard, and his mental lapses are down.

My complaints about him are going away, it's clear he's working to get a spot instead of folding, and I respect that.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's been getting involved and working hard, and his mental lapses are down.

My complaints about him are going away, it's clear he's working to get a spot instead of folding, and I respect that.
His last few games have easily been his best all-around performances. Hopefully Lavy's tough love is pushing him in the right direction, and we'll get a bit more consistent play the rest of the season.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
kicksave27

Nodl has replaced gagne's defense and PK. But Z is actually starting to work hard. I've got no problem with picking out of the penalty box, pre-lockout that was standard procedure. The guy is a pure goal scorer, and only making 2mil this season, can't beat it.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
His last few games have easily been his best all-around performances. Hopefully Lavy's tough love is pushing him in the right direction, and we'll get a bit more consistent play the rest of the season.
I hope for this as well. If this isn't a fluke, then I think he could be plugged into nearly any line. He's good at making plays for himself, and occasionally others. That's nice to have.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
So, I am going to post this now so that I can quote it in a few weeks when Zherdev makes a mistake and everyone calls for his head.

You are all hypocrites.
Not this guy, good to see him play some good games. But this is just sample of a couple weeks, can he sustain this over the year? If so they have a good situation with the JvR/Carter/Zherdev all being strong skaters this should work well if each supports their role on this unit. Problem can be going forward is that each player has their own shortcomings, it will be interesting to see if they can develop some solid chemistry going forward?

Old
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
FlyersMania2

Zherdev is the x-factor...each team that wins/goes to the stanley cup finals has one. Last year we had Leino and Giroux..those two are still amazing but now more familiar to teams/goal tenders. Zherdev manages to surprise teams and can make plays that most of our Canadian talents can not. No he won't replace Gagne but I gaurantee he would get us the BIG goals we need in the BIG games.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Zherdev is the x-factor...each team that wins/goes to the stanley cup finals has one. Last year we had Leino and Giroux..those two are still amazing but now more familiar to teams/goal tenders. Zherdev manages to surprise teams and can make plays that most of our Canadian talents can not. No he won't replace Gagne but I gaurantee he would get us the BIG goals we need in the BIG games.
Agreed, if you watch his highlight videos, a lot of his goals occur when the score is tied late in the game. A solid amount of them are against Pittsburgh as well.

I have read on the Ranger's board that he was a no show in their one playoff run but with the kind of depth the Flyers have, he will have the opportunity to succeed big time against weaker competition.

Old
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I remain cautiously optimistic. He has been big for us in games against Pittsburgh and the Rangers during the regular season. However, we all know that the playoffs are a different animal. Does Zherdev have playoff experience? With the Rangers? No? I wonder if he is one of those guys who has a sixth gear?

Old
12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
People had every right to criticize Z at the start of the year. He was playing KHL selfish hockey. There is a reason Lavi scratched him.

He is now playing great NHL hockey with no more mistakes than everyone else. People need to get off their high horses about the "hypocrites" tag on people who(including me) hard on him. He deserved it. His game is 100% better now than it was at game 10 or whenever he first got scratched.

Old
12-20-2010, 06:33 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's funny how the Zherdev bridge has been screaming about Lavi sucking and now that Zherdev is actually competing (which wasn't happening earlier in the season) and is on a 30-goal pace, the same people are nowhere to be found when it comes to Lavi bashing.

Meanwhile, this team has taken off since Lavi moved Carter to C (which many of us were clamoring for since Day 1).

I just can't wait for the "hindsight is 20/20" comments.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:24 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

He didn't score tonight! I take back everything I said about him earlier.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
He didn't score tonight! I take back everything I said about him earlier.
What a bum!

Now watch him win every event in the skills competition, then give a long, live interview - in English - on ice with Coatsey, then refuse to talk to Panotch!

Old
01-01-2011, 12:40 PM
vera1964

The question to those of you who gets to see the games -- has he been playing poorly lately?

Old
01-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
The question to those of you who gets to see the games -- has he been playing poorly lately?
Same as he always is this year. Produces some secondary goal scoring, but other then that he doesn't bring anything to the table.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Same as he always is this year. Produces some secondary goal scoring, but other then that he doesn't bring anything to the table.
I thought there was a stretch of at least three games (Pitsburg-Montreal-Rangers) where he was one of key producers...

Old
01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Zherdev is really annoying. He sucks when he's not scoring but admittedly he has scored some big goals this year.

Old
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

lately he seems to be going back to his usual style of floating in the open ice waiting for someone to pass to him, refusing to get dirty along the boards or otherwise help in any way..

Lavi has been benching him alot lately, and I think he's deserved it

shame to, cuz when he fights for pucks and takes the body he's actualy quite a well rounded player

I don't know if it's work ethic or something else that keeps him from playing hard every game

Old
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

From what I've seen he hasn't been very good the last few games, but really pretty much the whole team hasn't been very good recently.

Old
01-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
From what I've seen he hasn't been very good the last few games, but really pretty much the whole team hasn't been very good recently.
In fairness to Zherdev, he finally found linemates with whom he looked dominant (Carter and JVR) but then Lavy switched them all up again and he looks lost with Giroux and Hartnell.

Funny though, Carter keeps producing with whomever they put him, and his linemates score too...

Old
01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
I thought there was a stretch of at least three games (Pitsburg-Montreal-Rangers) where he was one of key producers...
He had a mini hot streak if that's what you mean. Like I said, he's been a great secondary producer thus far. Doesn't bring anything else to the table though so he sucks when he's not scoring.

In all fairness to Zherdev though, our coach seems to hate him for w/e reason(s).

Old
01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
In all fairness to Zherdev though, our coach seems to hate him for w/e reason(s).
Not a consistent forechecker, he often forces plays that aren't there, he is kind of selfish with the puck though he's been better lately, he doesn't exactly force himself to play defense, he overstays his shift, he takes stupid retaliation penalties, and he doesn't produce enough to offset all of his bad qualities.

The reasons are plentiful.

As I've said time and time again, Zherdev is what he is. He's a secondary scorer for cheap that offers nothing but secondary scoring. On this team, that's okay.

Old
01-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not a consistent forechecker, he often forces plays that aren't there, he is kind of selfish with the puck though he's been better lately, he doesn't exactly force himself to play defense, he overstays his shift, he takes stupid retaliation penalties, and he doesn't produce enough to offset all of his bad qualities.

The reasons are plentiful.

As I've said time and time again, Zherdev is what he is. He's a secondary scorer for cheap that offers nothing but secondary scoring. On this team, that's okay.
Exactly and on top of that he's a on a one-year deal and probably not coming back next year. So there's no long-term point in healthy benching him for a crappier player like Shelley. In the short-term, any point in healthy benching Zherdev is strictly message-sending to the other players and it makes our roster worse in the process.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
guess I need to start benching Zherdev in my keeper league so he can start scoring goals.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:36 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

not sure if this has been mentioned but according to TSN, Zherdev missed the last game due to an injury

Quote:
Goaltender Brian Boucher is expected to start when the team plays again on Thursday in New Jersey. Defenseman Chris Pronger will undergo a scheduled CT scan on Tuesday to check the progress on the broken bone in his foot. Depending on the results, Pronger could be cleared to resume skating. Forward Nik Zherdev, who missed Sunday's game with a lower body injury, is ready to play. - Philadelphia Inquirer / Daily News

Closed Thread