HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melrose on ESPN

Old
12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

vCash: 500
Melrose on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?...987&autoplay=0

Melrose offers analysis on the Kings, Doughty and a rundown on all teams in the Pacific.

The question I have is, what is your reaction to his comments on Doughty? He talks about LA at the 10-11 minute mark.

I think that he is partially right but there is more to it than that. Anyway, your thoughts?

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 08:54 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
The question I have is, what is your reaction to his comments on Doughty?
... I think Melrose is 100% right.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:40 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I think Melrose is 100% right.
I think he's right but that's only a fraction of Drew's problem. Drew just isn't playing the game the same way. He refuses to shoot on the PP, he trys to carry the puck into multiple defenders and instead of using his stick on defense he's gone to a more fan friendly, big hitters mentality. His stick work last year was as good as you can get. He just doesn't do that anymore.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:45 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I know that you have questioned drews efforts but have you questioned rather or not he is playing at 100% and or that he might be attempting to follow his new coaches orders or maybe a combination of contributing factors like these?

I am just curious.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

My personal belief is that DD08 has numerous factors affecting his play and that post concussion symptoms are still lingering. In addition, and call it what you will, specualtion or otherwise, he is not as focused on hockey and other influences are coming into play.

But he is not likely at 100% mentally, even though he may think he's back to normal. For those of you that have ever had a serious concussion, your brain tells you you are ok, but events and environment give you little hints that you're not (not responding when someone calls your name, being spacey and not in the moment, etc)

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

The not 100% argument holds no water to me. I see Doughty up close and personal at least twice a week. He seems to have rebounded well from the concussion. He was also not producing statistically prior to it. No one in the organization speaking candidly nor publicly seems to believe there are physical or technical issues with him.

I do think teams are keying on him big time and the Kings haven't found a way to combat that yet. They wanted to get Stoll's heavy shot out there with him trying to take advantage of openings, mixed results, mostly poor. They tried him and Johnson, too similar maybe, Johnson is skilled but doesn't have the presence of a great point man at this point his career.

On the plays where he's on the strong side/puck side, the opposing penalty killers cheat toward him a lot. The seam plays are easier to shut down too because the seam is always right wing to left point, there is not too much action with the passes like that coming in high from either side down low. Not enough activity down low at times a man up, some screens but not a lot of movement some nights.

I think it's a matter of more aggressiveness from Doughty, yes, but also more general aggressiveness. Stop trying to make pretty plays, you can tease those and fool yourself into thinking they are there but that's not the way this team is going to get it done on the power play. Get the puck high, bang it toward the net, create a scramble and get greasy. Doughty has to be a part of that, shooting it more, but his struggles are symptomatic of larger failings on the power play and on offense in general from what I've seen.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:19 AM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I know that you have questioned drews efforts but have you questioned rather or not he is playing at 100% and or that he might be attempting to follow his new coaches orders or maybe a combination of contributing factors like these?

I am just curious.
I'm honestly not sure. I thought Melrose's comments were thought provoking. I don't get the vibe he is totally in charge on the ice. He may be on everyone else's radar now and that is why is not as successful; that said, I've always felt we need to have more balanced scoring. If he is the one on D who will be likely to carry the puck in the zone, then it makes him an obvious choice to cover.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote