HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Quick CBA question, Re: 35+ contracts

Old
12-15-2010, 02:47 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quick CBA question, Re: 35+ contracts

Say a 35+ player retires, (Ian Lapperierre is who made me think of this) can the team trade his cap hit to a team with low budget (say NYI) to help them reach the cap floor, yet not have to pay a $ of real money?

Did something similar to this happen between NJD and SJ a few years ago with Malakov? I don't really remember

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Say a 35+ player retires, (Ian Lapperierre is who made me think of this) can the team trade his cap hit to a team with low budget (say NYI) to help them reach the cap floor, yet not have to pay a $ of real money?

Did something similar to this happen between NJD and SJ a few years ago with Malakov? I don't really remember

In the NJD situation, the player never filed retirement papers, but he also never showed up. NJD traded his rights, which carried with it the cap hit. Since he never showed up for the Sharks, they carried the cap hit but never had to pay him. I don't remember the "technical" details, but he probably was suspended since he never did file for retirement but had an active SPC.

Once an over 35+ player retires, any cap hit he'd have in the second or later years of his contract would still count. I didn't look up Laperriere's details, but if he's only on a one year deal, the cap hit goes away with the retirement.

That said, kdb or LS will come along and insert the appropriate clarifications and relevant CBA articles.

Old
12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

You hit all the points Fugu. Retired player cap hit can't be traded. Malakov hadn't officially retired, just refused to report to the farm team and was suspended.

For the record Laperriere's current deal is a 3 year one starting in 2009-2010, and he was age 35 on July 1st 2009. So NJ would carry his cap hit for 2011-2012 if he retired after this season.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:40 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
You hit all the points Fugu. Retired player cap hit can't be traded. Malakov hadn't officially retired, just refused to report to the farm team and was suspended.

For the record Laperriere's current deal is a 3 year one starting in 2009-2010, and he was age 35 on July 1st 2009. So NJ would carry his cap hit for 2011-2012 if he retired after this season.

If he pulls a Rathje, he can be "retired" -- read no longer playing -- (for medical reasons), but be on the LTIR with out an effective cap hit, for the rest of his contract.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:49 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

he could also be traded to a team before retiring, like brash was, minus the buyout of course.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
If he pulls a Rathje, he can be "retired" -- read no longer playing -- (for medical reasons), but be on the LTIR with out an effective cap hit, for the rest of his contract.
Yeah I knew we could do this, was just wondering what other options there were. Thanks for the info peeps.

Rathje wasn't a 35+, but he just kept trying to come back

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Fugu

vCash:
This thread looks like it should be on the mod board.