HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tyutin or Girardi - if the Z trade was 'redone'

Old
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
I recall after the Zherdev trade happened, some people were quite ticked off that we shipped off Tyutin. A lot of us were high on his game (better yet, we were really high on the Danny G - Toots pairing) even though he seemed to struggle towards the end of that season and the Playoffs.

The general concensus at the time seemed that it was a 'good' trade as we needed a Zherdev type player but why couldn't Girardi be shipped off instead of Tyutin.

Do you all think the right move was made on keeping Girardi instead of Tyutin?

Seeing now the player Girardi has become, especially with the consistency he's been having so far this season overall - as well as his Defensive instincts in shot blocks and hits, I'm glad he was the Dman that was kept.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:35 AM
AJRanger

They kept the right player, IMO. Girardi's been the Ranger's best defenseman this season.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
beastly115

I don't think there was really a choice. Girardi was still a young d-man and wasn't anywhere near Toots level. The BJ's wanted a d-man who was more established and signed to a nice contract.

BJ's would have won the trade no matter who was shipped off, seeing as how that ***** Zherdev bolted for the KHL.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Wouldn't have done the Z trade in the first place.

12-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Toots > Girardi, IMO, but it's pretty close. It's a tough comparison because Toot's role on CBJ is different than Girardi's on the Rangers even though they are similar defensemen.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:58 AM
bleedblue94

toots was just a healthy scratched with the blue jackets the other night. seems he may not be in favor w the staff. i wonder if there would be any way to snag him back. would love to replace rozi with toots.

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:11 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
toots was just a healthy scratched with the blue jackets the other night. seems he may not be in favor w the staff. i wonder if there would be any way to snag him back. would love to replace rozi with toots.
del zotto was a healthy scratch last night, does that means hes fallen out of favor w/ the staff and is being offered around for cheap? just because tyutin had one night off doesnt mean the jackets coach hates him and their trying to get rid of him. thats a redicuous assumption imo

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I recall after the Zherdev trade happened, some people were quite ticked off that we shipped off Tyutin. A lot of us were high on his game (better yet, we were really high on the Danny G - Toots pairing) even though he seemed to struggle towards the end of that season and the Playoffs.

The general concensus at the time seemed that it was a 'good' trade as we needed a Zherdev type player but why couldn't Girardi be shipped off instead of Tyutin.

Do you all think the right move was made on keeping Girardi instead of Tyutin?

Seeing now the player Girardi has become, especially with the consistency he's been having so far this season overall - as well as his Defensive instincts in shot blocks and hits, I'm glad he was the Dman that was kept.
i wish that trade never went through, period. but hindsight is 20/20

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Toots isn't have a great season for whatever reason. But he's still one of their best d-men.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
me too. I won't be shocked to see him come back since we could use a Lefty Dman. I would move Frolov and Gilroy if CLB would take it

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:34 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
del zotto was a healthy scratch last night, does that means hes fallen out of favor w/ the staff and is being offered around for cheap? just because tyutin had one night off doesnt mean the jackets coach hates him and their trying to get rid of him. thats a redicuous assumption imo
Toots is 27 now... MDZ is 20. There are different levels of dislike when it comes to benching someone at a particular age.

And imo, I was always a bigger fan of Girardi. My issue with Tyutin was his lack of athleticism. Just seemed very stiff in the hips and it didn't allow for many mistakes. Something that is just going to happen. And other parts of his game weren't dominant enough to make up for it.

Still wouldn't have made the trade though. Was horrible asset management considering we got Zherdev for such a small amount of time and gave up a really valuable piece at the time in Tyutin.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Toots is 27 now... MDZ is 20. There are different levels of dislike when it comes to benching someone at a particular age.
They were both benched for the same reason, not producing or playing to their abilities, their coach said that.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:46 AM
bubba5

Never liked toots, thought he was a little overrated here.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

obviously in hindsight it's easy to criticize this deal, but we made it at a time when our secondary scoring was really a question mark. Who did we have? Drury, Naslund, Gomez.... and we had just lost Jagr and Shanahan. Dubinsky and Callahan were still not fully developed. I think at the time it was definitely the right move.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Also consider at the time it was still thought Zherdev could really break out. There was a lot of speculation, and not just by hopeful Rangers fans, that Z could be a PPG player in the league.

Old
12-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Levitate

Prior to this year I still would have rather had Girardi sent over. But he's really done a great job this year and been consistently good all over the ice. He basically did what I really wanted him to do which is just step up his game and keep it consistent.

Not sure how Tyutin has been in Columbus, but I still miss him on the Rangers in a lot of ways. He was always the best defenseman along the boards for the Rangers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Prior to this year I still would have rather had Girardi sent over. But he's really done a great job this year and been consistently good all over the ice. He basically did what I really wanted him to do which is just step up his game and keep it consistent.

Not sure how Tyutin has been in Columbus, but I still miss him on the Rangers in a lot of ways. He was always the best defenseman along the boards for the Rangers
His hip checks were epic

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
His hip checks were epic
agree totally, only d man who hit anything his last season....or as micheletti would say "thats the right call"
didnt like deal cause it was coupled with resigning rozy and signing redden.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
xander

I bought a tyutin jersey about 4 months prior to that trade.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd take Toots back in a heartbeat.

Staal-Girardi
Toots-Rozi
MDZ- Sauer

i'd take those d-pairings any day of the week.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I'd keep Toots just because I miss calling him 'Toots'.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'd take Toots back in a heartbeat.

Staal-Girardi
Toots-Rozi
MDZ- Sauer

i'd take those d-pairings any day of the week.
I'd flip Rozsival for Toots. Sure Rozi is the better defensemen, but Columbus saves real money and they aren't hurting for cap space. We get cap relief and Toots back.

Staal - Sauer
Tyutin - Girardi
Del Zotto - Eminger

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
I miss having Toots with the organization, and if he was available, I would definitely support trading Rosi for him.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think I would have made the deal period. I would prefer to keep Girardi around instead of Tyutin, very close though.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

interesting topic...
especially considering that they both sort of came into thier own when girardi came up and they immediately clicked together and for good portions of that half season
('07?) they were being hyped as the next #1 line, and for good reason. Losing toots had a negative effect on girardi but he's defiantely beginning to prove himself and i think they made the right choice.

i guess there could be an argument that toots is the BJ's best dman but is that really saying much? Who do they have Klesla, hejda, commodore, i dont even know who else they have. Even on that steaming pile of a blue line he's struggled and has indeed been scratched, last i checked he had like 3-4 points and no goals.

I'll take girardi's 14 points, plus numbers and his shot blocking ability which has him in the top 10 annually. toots is a solid dman with potential offensive upside but all things considered DG gives you more bang for your buck.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Was not impressed with Tyutin's development (or lack of progression) in the season and a half leading up to his trade.... I was okay with the trade at the time.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote