Will O'Sullivan sign this summer?

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 12:22 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

vCash: 500
Will O'Sullivan sign this summer?

Hey,

Just curious as to whether Minnesota will be signing Patrick O'Sullivan b/f the end of the summer. Being an Ice Dogs fan, I'd of course love to see him back with us, but it's fairly understood that there isn't much more he can do at this level. Will $ end up being an issue? I'd assume he'd be looking for 1st round money. Any wild fans heard anything lately?

Thanks.

Old
06-11-2004, 01:32 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

If I had to bet, I would say that we wont sign him over the summer. I think alot of it has to do with how he does in training camp and in preseason games. I do think he will make the team next year though, but I say we sign him during training camp or right before the season if theres one.

Old
06-11-2004, 02:26 PM
DW

My guess is that they will probably sign him before all this labor stuff hits the fan. First round money will more then likely be the starting point for O'Sullivan and his agent. I havn't heard if the Wild intend to sign him for next season either.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:32 PM
MePutPuckInNet

DW - ya think? why would they sign him under the current CBA? ...just wondering why you say that...

Old
06-12-2004, 01:16 AM
theo6060

Like you said, there isn't much left for him to learn in the CHL. He didn't have much left to learn last year I found, but was the obvious and best place for him to play. Looks like his defense is coming along a bit. Even with the CBA, I think they can get a deal done.

Old
06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
MePutPuckInNet

hmm....I dunno....I really don't think so. It would surprise me if they signed him before the new CBA....i'm pretty sure it would surprise him too....but that'd be way cool...

Old
06-12-2004, 06:05 PM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
hmm....I dunno....I really don't think so. It would surprise me if they signed him before the new CBA....i'm pretty sure it would surprise him too....but that'd be way cool...
I agree. I don't know what they'd have to gain by signing him before the new CBA.

Old
06-12-2004, 06:34 PM
DW

Quote:
why would they sign him under the current CBA?
I was more on the side that O'Sullivan would like to sign under the old CBA. When all is said and done, the new CBA is going to hit the rookie pay-scale pretty hard I think. It just seems logical for him to sign a contract in the old system.

I would also say that DR and the rest have stated many times that they prefer guys to not go back to juniors when there is nothing left to prove for them there. Clearly, if he doesn't make the roster he'll have to go back to juniors and signing him won't hurt either way imo.

Old
06-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
I was more on the side that O'Sullivan would like to sign under the old CBA. When all is said and done, the new CBA is going to hit the rookie pay-scale pretty hard I think. It just seems logical for him to sign a contract in the old system.

I would also say that DR and the rest have stated many times that they prefer guys to not go back to juniors when there is nothing left to prove for them there. Clearly, if he doesn't make the roster he'll have to go back to juniors and signing him won't hurt either way imo.
These are all great reasons why he and more players' agents will be pushing to sign this off-season before the "fallout". By most accounts, Patty's play has been great this last year and like the point you bring up about DR and having nothing left to prove...seems like a slamdunk to me. His offense is sorely needed.

Actually, I'd be VERY surprised if he isn't inked this off-season...

Old
06-12-2004, 08:00 PM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Actually, I'd be VERY surprised if he isn't inked this off-season...
I guess I'm missing the point then. What is the rush for Minnesota to sign him this summer as opposed to sometime next year (even if CBA kills the entire season)? Yes, Sully would like to sign this summer I'm sure, so maybe they'll try to negotiate, but it's really up to the Wild. They want him to be happy if they want to keep him long term but otherwise I don't see why they would.

Old
06-12-2004, 08:27 PM
MePutPuckInNet

yeah...well...i'm sure O'Sullivan would love to sign under this CBA and I agree that he doesn't have much left to do back in Juniors....I just think the Wild will wait to sign him....it just sucks tho....first he gets screwed out of the first round and now they could potentially get themselves an even further "steal of the draft" if they wait for the new CBA, which as you say, is likely to suck for rookies in particular....afterall...who cares about them?......

anyway...sorry....i'm still pissed off...i know i should keep my mutterings to myself....

Old
06-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjackson
I guess I'm missing the point then. What is the rush for Minnesota to sign him this summer as opposed to sometime next year (even if CBA kills the entire season)? Yes, Sully would like to sign this summer I'm sure, so maybe they'll try to negotiate, but it's really up to the Wild. They want him to be happy if they want to keep him long term but otherwise I don't see why they would.
Money. All the speculation of the rookie salary cap being one of the "bending" blocks for the union has shifted the leverage to the owners in a case like this. I can't see first round money happening for Pat, but I could see a fair offer that maybe wouldn't be there a year from now.

The rush in signing him has to do with our lack of pure offensive players and maybe a another year in Miss. might not be the best idea. Maybe he gets hurt and the Wild can't take as big a part in his rehab because he isn't signed. At least if he gets hurt up here, he learns something new in the process and can be under close supervision of Wild staff. Could he score 150 pts next year for Miss....maybe...how does that help his development? The only place he is gonna learn to play NHL style defense, even as an offensive guy, is in the NHL. This way it looks like a good will gesture in signing him to more money now than they would potentially have to after the new CBA is in place. DR and JL obviously prefer to keep their big investments close...I see more of the same.

This is all just my humble opinion, of course.

Old
06-12-2004, 09:50 PM
MePutPuckInNet

well that would be awesome....i like your humble opinion.....hopefully DR will agree....but he's an ass, so it's not likely.....

Old
06-12-2004, 10:20 PM
JeSuisReine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW

I was just curious, I know O'Sullivan would want to sign, the sooner the better, what prospect wouldn't? But what about the wild? would they have anything to gain by signing him before the new CBA deal is done?

Old
06-12-2004, 11:03 PM
MePutPuckInNet

it might keep him from going stark raving mad,,,,ya know...since he's such a psycho and everything......you gotta keep the nuts happy, or you never know what they might do

Old
06-13-2004, 12:15 AM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
The rush in signing him has to do with our lack of pure offensive players and maybe a another year in Miss. might not be the best idea. Maybe he gets hurt and the Wild can't take as big a part in his rehab because he isn't signed. At least if he gets hurt up here, he learns something new in the process and can be under close supervision of Wild staff. Could he score 150 pts next year for Miss....maybe...how does that help his development? The only place he is gonna learn to play NHL style defense, even as an offensive guy, is in the NHL. This way it looks like a good will gesture in signing him to more money now than they would potentially have to after the new CBA is in place. DR and JL obviously prefer to keep their big investments close...I see more of the same.

This is all just my humble opinion, of course.
Okay, I think I had misunderstood you then. I agree that they should hopefully sign and keep him after the next training camp, as long as he does all right. Hope so. I thought you had been saying they should sign him ASAP.

Old
06-13-2004, 12:16 AM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
it might keep him from going stark raving mad,,,,ya know...since he's such a psycho and everything......you gotta keep the nuts happy, or you never know what they might do
I sense just a little sarcasm

Old
06-13-2004, 10:52 AM
DW

Quote:
I was just curious, I know O'Sullivan would want to sign, the sooner the better, what prospect wouldn't? But what about the wild? would they have anything to gain by signing him before the new CBA deal is done?
I'd say not really. The only thing that may come into question would be what would happen to O'Sullivans rights when the lockout goes beyond the last possible date to sign him? I'd assume that the league would try to make an allowance for there (others in the same boat) signings after a new deal is reached. I would also assume that the NHLPA would like to see them go free because of the 2yr limit to hold there rights is up in the current CBA. I doubt very seriously that any player that wants to play in the NHL would sign a deal with there respective teams in a middle of a lockout.

I don't believe there is a rush to sign him by management. However, I still think it's a pretty good possibility that he does sign. Not saying that I would lose sleep over them not signing either.

Seems like there are more and more questions going into this new era of the NHL with what seems to be a prolonged work stoppage. Frankly, I'm not very optimistic on the length of the lockout. It's too bad, the Wild were just starting to infuse there roster with some youth. This would have been the first year that we could have seen them as part of the foundation instead of a fringe callup here and there.

Old
06-13-2004, 03:35 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
I sense just a little sarcasm
...then i'd say your senses are working just fine.....

Old
06-13-2004, 03:38 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Okay, I think I had misunderstood you then. I agree that they should hopefully sign and keep him after the next training camp, as long as he does all right. Hope so. I thought you had been saying they should sign him ASAP.
training camp won't start until AFTER the new CBA is in place, as I understand....therefore they'd have to sign him before camp, if they want to sign him under the current CBA

Old
06-14-2004, 10:14 AM
jt2004

Judging by what DR said about him on Sid's Sunday show right after the season ended they feel he still has a lot to learn before he plays in the NHL. That tells me they will try to sign him and probably play him in Houston? I believe he would be like Matt Foy last year and would not need to play in either the NHL or Jrs.

Old
06-14-2004, 02:03 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Can't, not old enough

Old
06-14-2004, 02:53 PM
jt2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Can't, not old enough

Then he's back to the Icedogs because honestly they sound pretty sold that he's not ready for the NHL yet.

That being said we better sign him soon otherwise he may get the idea he could go top 10 next summer if he doesn't sign.

Old
06-14-2004, 09:41 PM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2004
Then he's back to the Icedogs because honestly they sound pretty sold that he's not ready for the NHL yet.

That being said we better sign him soon otherwise he may get the idea he could go top 10 next summer if he doesn't sign.

That beign the case, it's a good bet someone would not make the same mistake twice and he goes early. Still a long ways away from that though.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:56 AM
jt2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
That beign the case, it's a good bet someone would not make the same mistake twice and he goes early. Still a long ways away from that though.
I don't know who his agent is however I would bet he is looking for 1st round money

Closed Thread