HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marco Sturm traded to the Kings

Old
12-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Poni/Kopitar/Brown
Smyth/Stoll/Williams
Strum/Handzus/Simmonds
Clifford/Lewis/Richardson/Westgarth

Doughty/Mitchell
Scuds/Johnson
AMart/Greene

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Talked to Lombardi last night, he said they had been exploring deals to bring in a winger since Parse went down. Basically you get a hard-working, fast player who can be inserted into all situations for nothing who is a UFA come season's end. That's nothing we have not known for the entire season about Sturm. He went on to say that he considered Sturm clearly the team's "best option."

He didn't talk to Sturm much, very brief conversation when the Kings were in Boston, said he hasn't talked to him much since 2003 really.

As long as his wheels still turn, I think it's a deal that will help them. First-line finishers don't grow on trees but to get a guy for free who shores up the top six and can move around the lineup is not shabby. Every time Murray wants to juggle lines, he seems a forward short. If he wants to move Zus up to the top line LW, Stoll becomes the checking center, now who is the #2 center? When he moved Williams up, that left him a winger short on the second line, etc. Now he gets a guy who can play on any of the top three lines, can kill penalties and work the power play. That's especially valuable, I think, when Stoll goes to the point they have a hard time putting two units of real skilled forwards together right now.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Bruins/Kings fan here. Sad to see Sturm leave Boston, but there really just wasn't room for him anymore. Even if he had a lower cap hit, I think the Bruins would be better off letting Caron get playing time over him given that Sturm was gone after this season anyway.

Kings get a guy who can score some big goals and will go on at least 1 hot streak during a season that will make people think he can score 40. Unfortunately he'll then go on at least one brutal cold streak that will keep him from scoring 40. With that said, he's a lot like Justin Williams incidentally and if they can stagger their hot/cold streaks they'll complement each other well. He'll take some time to get back to form from the knee injury, but he's an incredibly determined player and still only 32 so I think there's a real good chance he is playing well for you guys going into the playoffs.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LOL... "isn't horrible"? From a risk/reward standpoint, the deal is the best possible deal in the history of mankind.

Dean essentially signed a UFA 20-goal scorer since he got him for free via trade. That almost never happens (yes, players are traded for "nothing" every now and then, but not one of the highest scoring guys on your team).

There is no downside. Either the guy works out and is re-signed to a short term deal or he doesn't and he's off the books next year. Dean basically pulled a trade miracle out of his ass.
The downside is Sturm either re-injures the knee or doesn't play well and eats up minutes that coudl be going to a player with upside. The downside is as a result of this trade the Kings continue to stumble along with a meager offense and miss the playoffs. The downside is the Kings needed a #1 LW to win the cup and got a 3rd line LW who is coming off major knee surgery. I could give a **** less about AEG or their cap hit. I'm sick of hearing about cap hits while the goal of hockey is conintually ignored by apathetic King fans who have endured so much losing they now embrace it. The downside is the Kings needed an injection of scoring to win the Cup and they didn't get it. No downside my ass.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The downside is Sturm either re-injures the knee or doesn't play well and eats up minutes that coudl be going to a player with upside. The downside is as a result of this trade the Kings continue to stumble along with a meager offense and miss the playoffs. The downside is the Kings needed a #1 LW to win the cup and got a 3rd line LW who is coming off major knee surgery. I could give a **** less about AEG or their cap hit. I'm sick of hearing about cap hits while the goal of hockey is conintually ignored by apathetic King fans who have endured so much losing they now embrace it. The downside is the Kings needed an injection of scoring to win the Cup and they didn't get it. No downside my ass.
If he reinjures his knee, LTIR, do-over on $7M+ in cap space for rentals or firmer additions. That's not a huge concern. Even with what they have they can get almost anyone at the deadline.

Calling him a third-liner, meh, I think when healthy he is a legit second-line player and he can play the power play (as well as kill penalties but that's not a huge issue).

Either you get him for free right now or you wait and wait and wait to trying and overpay for someone down the line. Getting someone now versus getting someone later is the real danger in terms of a stagnant offense hurting the team.

It's not like Lombardi can pick up the phone and offer some package based around anyone for Rick Nash or some other incredible winger. Not only is this the Kings' best option right today but he might wind up being the best option all year all things considered.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 12-13-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Well, Lou signed your #1 LW and he has 5 goals and 14 points in 28 games. He's also -18 on a team most picked to make the Eastern conference finals.

Do you think Murray's "system" is designed to make use of the type of forward that you want to magically appear on the team? He's a coach that put King on the first line for 4 games and thought he played okay.

Sturm is a solid 2-way winger with speed. Adding that kind of speed to the top line will free up Kopitar to score more.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
U basically just said u are impatient and pessimistic. That's ur downside not the teams.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
outofrange

This is putting a lot of faith in his knees holding up and it's a pretty big gamble. Cap space is a huge commodity and we traded away some of ours for a guy who is injured.

I like him and what he brings to the table when healthy.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:25 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Well, Lou signed your #1 LW and he has 5 goals and 14 points in 28 games. He's also -18 on a team most picked to make the Eastern conference finals.

Do you think Murray's "system" is designed to make use of the type of forward that you want to magically appear on the team? He's a coach that put King on the first line for 4 games and thought he played okay.

Sturm is a solid 2-way winger with speed. Adding that kind of speed to the top line will free up Kopitar to score more.
Sturm previously exhibited speed. We have no idea what he skates like now. I am certain he will NOT exhibit the speed we all wish we already had in out lineup, at least not for another season.

My concern is that DL now plays the familiar "I got you the top 6 winger you all wanted" card and puts his search on hold hereafter. The LW hole was DL created, and to date, he has not filled it. Hoping a 32 year old 20+ goal scorer coming off two major knee surgeries in as many years is going to fill the void is wishful thinking. its wishful thinking we can afford and afford to try, but its still wishful thinking at best.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:

1) If there was a player with upside that could play the position, we wouldn't have went after Sturm.

2) Kings do need an #1 LW. Who do they get. Have you listened to any GM or anyone with an actual connection to hockey? THERE IS NO ONE DEALING.

3) You may want to ignore cap hits and act like they arn't there but they are. I would like to ignore my tax debt, but it's there.

4) Say Sturm reinjures his knee or plays poorly? So what. We are in the same prediciment we are now. Dean gave nothing to try something out. He is doing his job. Trying to make us bettter. THat #1 LW you so highly covet just isn't out there.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Although I do agree that at times it seems Lombardi is reluctant to make a bold or ballsy move, I don't think he's lying when he says he can't find a partner to make a trade. Having looked at the cap situation, the current standing positions and upcoming free agents of every team in the NHL, you'll realize that there really aren't many options out there.

We don't really know with certainty if a player like Penner is available, and if he is, at what cost? If he could be had for a prospects/picks not named Schenn, Clifford or Forbort, then it might be something worth pursuing, but Edmonton is probably going to ask for a lot for one of their leading scorers.

If any significant deals go down, I'd imagine it would be closer to the deadline when it becomes more clear where teams stand in playoff positions, and a lot of GMs will end up competing with one another in order to better their rosters.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Sturm previously exhibited speed. We have no idea what he skates like now. I am certain he will NOT exhibit the speed we all wish we already had in out lineup, at least not for another season.

My concern is that DL now plays the familiar "I got you the top 6 winger you all wanted" card and puts his search on hold hereafter. The LW hole was DL created, and to date, he has not filled it. Hoping a 32 year old 20+ goal scorer coming off two major knee surgeries in as many years is going to fill the void is wishful thinking. its wishful thinking we can afford and afford to try, but its still wishful thinking at best.
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lombardi
He’s a very strong option for us. The other thing it does is, it keeps our flexibility. This contract doesn’t take us out of pursuing other things at the trade deadline, as well as keeping all our options open, even next year, depending on how all this works out.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Johnny Utah

Sturm-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
SFKingshomer

This is nothing more than a filler type deal until our prospects develop further so DL and staff have a better idea of who to trade. There were no big deals available this early into the season so he got a player he's familiar with. There's still plenty of time for DL to land a scorer.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:00 PM
AStammer7*

Kings Should Inquire About Filatov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
This is nothing more than a filler type deal until our prospects develop further so DL and staff have a better idea of who to trade. There were no big deals available this early into the season so he got a player he's familiar with. There's still plenty of time for DL to land a scorer.
I think one scorer that could be had is the underachieving Nikita Filatov. Right about now he's probably sick and tired of playing with a bunch of no-talent bums in Columbus. Besides he's probably going to back to Russia after this latest demotion to the minors. We have probably seen him for the last time unless he's swapped pronto. Cristos that BJacket organization has had a terrible time finding talent and then putting that talent with the right mix...The Kings and Lombardi should've traded for Filatov but knowing Columbus they probably asked for Loktionov,Teubert and our first rounder in 2011...Too bad Columbus still didn't have GBrule he'd be great with Filatov...Filatov would score 40 goals on Kopitars left side for sure!!!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Hoping that Sturm is healthy is ingoring the past. No matter how long you've been a King fan you were treated to players forced into the lineup because there was nobody else or players forced into roles they had never proven they were capable of in the NHL. Handzus, Blake and Williams have all recently proven it takes an offseason of training, not rehab to get back to 100%. Marco Sturm will be rehabbing while on the ice playing #1 LW. It's got Straka, Carter and Ronning written all over it. The cap experts may be happy with this move but they were also the same people who stated as a matter of fact that the Chicago Blackhawks were in cap hell and doomed so they have been very wrong in the recent past.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:46 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Hoping that Sturm is healthy is ingoring the past. No matter how long you've been a King fan you were treated to players forced into the lineup because there was nobody else or players forced into roles they had never proven they were capable of in the NHL. Handzus, Blake and Williams have all recently proven it takes an offseason of training, not rehab to get back to 100%. Marco Sturm will be rehabbing while on the ice playing #1 LW. It's got Straka, Carter and Ronning written all over it. The cap experts may be happy with this move but they were also the same people who stated as a matter of fact that the Chicago Blackhawks were in cap hell and doomed so they have been very wrong in the recent past.

Chicago lost some 10 players and are in 5th place in the Western Conference after having played more games than any other team but Anaheim (for reference, the Kings are two points behind the Blackhawks with 4 games in hand).

dude, they're struggling.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
If you have names of available first line wingers then give Lombardi a list. There are no big trades to be made this early into the season.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I also think that something that is failed at being looked at is the fact that we have a new coach on D. He is running or contributing to the running of every aspect of our D. Sturm will be new to allot of things when he gets here (providing) and one of them will be learning an entirely new system, just like everyone else.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Kings Twitter:

"Marco Sturm to wear No. 10 for the #LAKings."

He took Schenn's number, now wonder they sent him back to juniors

Last edited by DAkings20: 12-12-2010 at 11:14 PM.
DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
We really did get him for nothing... not even a pick. Wowzer. Not sure how anyone can not be behind this deal. We gave up nothing.
I tell you why....................

-We made a strong team even stronger .............

-we got nothing in return for that... he will not play for a while and i doubt he will score more than 5 goals this season........we didn't even get any traid bait

- we weaken our position at the deadline when we should go for a big fish. Actually this one closes the door for a big talented left wing 4.072 Mill in capspace won't be enough.

- I'm pretty sure Parse will clearly outscore him when he is back. But the salary makes Sturm the
1st line left wing.

- Brown will be absolutely happy to see Sturm making the same amount of money for doing nothing. This is a really underestimated point for the locker room peace.

any questions ???????????

Last edited by Kurrilino: 12-12-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

I'm happy with it.

As a great man once said "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones."

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
- I'm pretty sure Parse will clearly outscore him when he is back. But the salary makes Sturm the 1st line left wing.

- Brown will be absolutely happy to see Sturm making the same amount of money for doing nothing. This is a really underestimated point for the locker room peace.

And now tell me again this bonehead move is brilliant.
You do realize everyone from Boston to San Jose have all LOVED Sturm's play and think he will do well with the Kings.

As much as you may hate it, the Kings are built for the long haul as a franchise. DL is not going to bet the farm on a rental or superstar player.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post

1) If there was a player with upside that could play the position, we wouldn't have went after Sturm.

2) Kings do need an #1 LW. Who do they get. Have you listened to any GM or anyone with an actual connection to hockey? THERE IS NO ONE DEALING.

3) You may want to ignore cap hits and act like they arn't there but they are. I would like to ignore my tax debt, but it's there.

4) Say Sturm reinjures his knee or plays poorly? So what. We are in the same prediciment we are now. Dean gave nothing to try something out. He is doing his job. Trying to make us bettter. THat #1 LW you so highly covet just isn't out there.
Cammy, Frolov, Moulson, Gaborik, Heatley, Hossa...........

I don't know what you mean with he is trying to make us better.
It's nice that he really tries it.... but i prefer a GM who is actually doing it.

Old
12-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
You do realize everyone from Boston to San Jose have all LOVED Sturm's play and think he will do well with the Kings.

As much as you may hate it, the Kings are built for the long haul as a franchise. DL is not going to bet the farm on a rental or superstar player.
IF a 32 year old 2 knee surgerys former 20 goal scorer is our long haul,
something is wrong.

We did nothing else than helping out a strong team to get stronger.
This one will rip our balls off in the near future