HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Sabres

Old
12-11-2010, 08:49 PM
nTsplnk*

vCash: 500
Plus/Minus Pens v Sabres

+ Dustin Jeffrey. Another reason why Comrie was a huge mistake.

+ Fleury, with exception to the 2nd goal....

+ Michalek.

Even

=Sid, he seemed really sluggish in the 3rd. He was still trying, but he seemed off.

=Letang, stupid penalties.

+Winning a tough victory. brutal game

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Nakawick

+ the role players.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

- God damn Hartwood Acres. My kids love driving thru for the lights. Line was backed up like crazy. Got to see 3rd period and listen to parts of 1st and 2nd, but not the same as getting the whole game start to finish.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:54 PM
jdpitt05

+ Good game from Jeffrey. His skating has improved alot since i've last seen him. Also looks like he'd be a better fit at C instead of W, unfortunately.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:55 PM
JackFr

- Me missing the game

+ Crosby getting his point
+ Pens getting their win

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
MalKing71*

+Brooks 'Free Candy' Orpik. Some big hits tonight.

MalKing71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
ss53mech

+ Cooke, he was doing all he could tonight
+ michalek, blocking everything in sight
+ jeffrey, good first game, goal was kind of fluky but he's got some skills and he is making the smart play.
+ flower, another good game
+orpik, timely big hits got us back in the game
too many others to mention but those were the notables.
even gogo- good offensively but a little soft on the puck in his own zone
-dressing lovejoy instead of engelland he would have been the perfect fit in tonights game (unless they are doing this just to keep the reverand fresh I just don't get putting him in over engelland, ya he set up jeffreys goal but I'd take engelland stay at home, solid play over lovejoys rare offensive support, and defensive lapses.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
lirit
Romans 8:31

What would our record be if Fleury played like this in the beginning of the season? This team is special.

lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

+ Fleury: Gave up a bad rebound but Michalek lost his man trying to block the shot. Regardless, Fleury more than made up for that one bad play with I think 32 saves.

+ Jeffrey did well. Got a little lucky. I still don't see room for him when Malkin returns. All the usual role players had really strong games, so it's tough to take them out of the lineup. Wish there were room for this guy though. I'd like to get a 10 game look at him in the NHL to see where he's at in his development.

Crosby didn't score but he still had a lot of chances.

Surprisingly chippy game. I think we may have missed Godard and Engelland a bit tonight, but Lovejoy did factor in on a goal and it was hard to predict this one getting so nasty.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:07 PM
66-29-33

Last seasons Pens team would lose this game guaranteed. I bet it would be a blowout aswell. I love our defense blocking all these shots! just when you know EXACTLY what is gonna happen BAM a stick gets in the way, or a body. It would probably be like 7-1 Sabres if this was last years Pens.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral

+ Jeffrey. 2 points right after being called up is a nice thing.
+ The Win Streak and Sid's Point Streak continuing.
+ Michalek. Doing whatever it takes to block shots.
- Teams are seeing they can disrupt the Pens by getting nasty and dirty.
- Me being stupid enough to take The Black Hole in the 1st goal prediction thread.

Hikaru Kitsune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Burgs

+ Jeffrey: his first NHL point in almost 2 years and his first career multiple point game, all after no real training session with the team
+ Michalek: what a shotblocking machine, makes Eaton look like an amateur in comparison, somehow has the worst +/- of all our defenders
+ Orpik: was it the HBO crew filming or what fired him up so much today?
+ Fleury: difficult game for a goalie with all the crease-crashing from the Sabres but he held his ground and outplayed Miller
+ Goligoski didn't get much help from the reverend but played safe under pressure and scored the GWG (with luck)

- our skill players were having a hard time tonight, especially the top line
- Lovejoy: looked rusty and nervous, not what you want from a 6th D
- Letang: he's usually better at handling a physical game, looked like he was generally pissed off (maybe at his mini scoring slump?)
- the crowd at HSBC Arena: completely dead for two periods despite a close and chippy game, sounded like a home game for us sometimes
- the refs for missing tons obvious calls, never got any structure with their calls leading to some unnecessary dangerous hits later on
- Steigerwald for reaching a new level with his verbal ******** on Sid

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:08 PM
TopShelfGoal

+ to Sabres post game (with Bill Guerin) in referring to Mike Rupp as "Chewbacca". A big wookie in front of the net. Made me laugh.
+ Fluery with 34 saves
+ Sid with a point

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:10 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

+ Jeffrey played a good game obviously. Nice season debut.

+ Michalek was just about as good as Steigy and Errey described while fapping over him.

+ Orpik laying down the law, although he got a bit too feisty taking an unnecessary penalty.

- Dupuis was out to lunch.

- Lovejoy is so 'blah' at this level it's unbelievable.

Notes:

I think Asham is solid in his role, as limited as it is.

Overall Fleury stood tall, although I'm not sure why he's looking for pucks behind him when they're clearly in front of him.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
+ Jeffrey: his first NHL point in almost 2 years and his first career multiple point game, all after no real training session with the team
+ Michalek: what a shotblocking machine, makes Eaton look like an amateur in comparison, somehow has the worst +/- of all our defenders
+ Fleury: difficult game for a goalie with all the crease-crashing from the Sabres but he held his ground and outplayed Miller
+ Goligoski didn't get much help from the reverend but played safe under pressure and scored the GWG (with luck)

- Letang: he's usually better at handling a physical game, looked like he was generally pissed off (maybe at his mini scoring slump?)
- the crowd at HSBC Arena: completely dead for two periods despite a close and chippy game, sounded like a home game for us sometimes
- the refs for missing tons obvious calls, never got any structure with their calls leading to some unnecessary dangerous hits later on

Yep. Great rundown.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:

Burgs, you're such an underrated poster around here with all your work in the prospect thread. Good stuff here.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:14 PM
jdpitt05

For as good as Connor has been on the 3rd line, i'm hoping Jeffrey earns a roster spot over him. I'm a bit wary of that buzz line in playoff hockey.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Illinest

i miss jordan staal

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluefan75

I didn't have the audio on, but what on earth was Crosby's sin that got him sent to the box? Weber grabbed him, started punching him, completely not bothering to play the puck....Crosby's supposed to just sit there and take it? Huge minus to the refs.

The role players were solid tonight. If the Pens can get just enough contribution from them, they will be a very tough out.

Very interesting how Asham starts getting some ice time, and makes things happen....he was by no means a top 6 signing, but he has certainly been productive.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:18 PM
MtlPenFan

I don't think you get the Pens off their game by being rough. If anything, I think the way the team is built, they welcome it.

What ****s things up when teams play that way against us is when the officials mess up the calls.

Toronto didn't get back into the game the other day because they gooned it up. They got back in the game when Crosby was given 4 minutes for no good reason. Actually the reason was that the game was 4-0.

Much of the same tonight. No reason Crosby should get a penalty for getting punched in the face 4 times, but there it was.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Burgs, you're such an underrated poster around here with all your work in the prospect thread. Good stuff here.
Thanks. I think this is the first time I've ever done a rundown like that. It's past 4 a.m. here but I drowned myself in coffee around midnight and now I can't sleep.

Glad I didn't miss this game though, was a bit like playoffs in December.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

here's an odd one, courtesy of the PG. goligoski has four game-winners this year, which already ties him for the single-season team record by a defenseman.

that makes him even with murphy, rozsival and --- yup, you guessed it -- frank stallone brad werenka.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:20 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
For as good as Connor has been on the 3rd line, i'm hoping Jeffrey earns a roster spot over him. I'm a bit wary of that buzz line in playoff hockey.
Don't be. Speed and tenacity isn't negated just because things get amped up in the playoffs.

+ To Jeffrey's two points guaranteeing Comrie being put out to pasture.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Thanks. I think this is the first time I've ever done a rundown like that. It's past 4 a.m. here but I drowned myself in coffee around midnight and now I can't sleep.

I see the German flag, but I don't know if posters are from their flag locations. Good stuff x10 since you're really from overseas

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:24 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

I have mentioned it before, will do so again.

Big kudos to our European fans. There is no way I could be following a team with such a time difference. At least not live. Takes a special kind a fan to be watching, posting and contributing in the wee hours of the morning on a continual basis.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote