HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Santorelli

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
  #1
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Mike Santorelli

Mike Santorelli - scouting report, impressions, feedback from his play for you guys this season please?

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 03:36 AM
  #2
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
scouting report: small, but quick. he's not overly fast, and has a weird skating stride, but he's quick. doesn't shy away from contact and gives 110% at all times.

my feedback on his play is simple: he's been our best forward this year, flat out. he's quickly becoming our most creative forward out there IMO, even more than weiss. he's finding those seams like very few can. he made a pass to wideman today that was just out of his reach that made me go "wow"

not only offensively, but he's been a staple on our penalty kill and very effective at that.

like deboer said, who knows where we'd be without him. probably toiling with the islanders in the standings....

flapanthersfan is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 08:19 AM
  #3
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Mike Santorelli - scouting report, impressions, feedback from his play for you guys this season please?
He is a great find !

Keeps his feet moving all the time, quick and good skater (not blazing fast), has a big motor, very shifty and creative on the ice, great on the cycle because of his intensity, good on the back-check... Could work on his shot and release, has shown more patience lately but the game is still a bit fast for him (nothing experience and playing time won't correct), has been hot-n-cold in the faceoff circle (still better 52%, but he tends to win a lot or lose a lot in a game), should be more productive with seasoning and training...

As my pal said, he has been our most consistent forward since the beginning of the year... He may have had a bad stretch of 3 or 4 games after our first ten, but he has really been night-in and night-out our most competitive forward ! He has been a fixture on our PK, and has gotten more time on the PP lately (which for once didn't look putrid) and I'm excited about the next part of the season, because he is just starting to realize that he belongs here and can be productive here ! Every line he has played on looked dangerous !!

He has always had the talent, but he really needed a real chance... I'm glad PDB and Tallon gave him, because if you ask around here, the kid is a real keeper !

I wouldn't be surprised with a couple of 70-points in his prime... He may never get there, but he'll be a second-line center in a couple years, that you can bank on it !

BabyJagrov is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 11:00 AM
  #4
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
scouting report: small, but quick. he's not overly fast, and has a weird skating stride, but he's quick. doesn't shy away from contact and gives 110% at all times.

my feedback on his play is simple: he's been our best forward this year, flat out. he's quickly becoming our most creative forward out there IMO, even more than weiss. he's finding those seams like very few can. he made a pass to wideman today that was just out of his reach that made me go "wow"

not only offensively, but he's been a staple on our penalty kill and very effective at that.

like deboer said, who knows where we'd be without him. probably toiling with the islanders in the standings....
I'd agree with everything, except i'd say you're understating his speed. He keeps right up with booth, easily. He's gotta be the fastest, or second fastest on the team.

Holy Jokinen is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 01:38 PM
  #5
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I wouldn't be surprised with a couple of 70-points in his prime...
I lolled.

Clint is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
  #6
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I lolled.
agreed a little but i could see about 40-50 point campaigns.

FinlandPanther is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
  #7
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
agreed a little but i could see about 40-50 point campaigns.
Santorelli is adjusting to the NHL... And he is still on pace for 35 points in his rookie season... Don't care about his age !

And you guys should read my entire post... I'm saying he may never get there... Just that I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen ! If you laugh that just mean you would be on your ass if he puts a 70-point campaign in the future !

I'm sure a lot of you would have laugh after Booth's 20-goal season if somebody told ya David would arguably be our most important forward in the future...

So just laugh at Santorelli, that's fine !

BabyJagrov is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 04:13 PM
  #8
sinDer
Registered User
 
sinDer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drummondville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I wouldn't be surprised with a couple of 70-points in his prime... He may never get there, but he'll be a second-line center in a couple years, that you can bank on it !
70 points? Not going to happen. Not even close.

Second line center? Only with the Panthers.

He has 8 goals in 28 games, which is not bad, but he's not going to keep pace and will probably end the season with something like 14 or 15 goals.

I hope he'll prove me wrong though

sinDer is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
  #9
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I'd agree with everything, except i'd say you're understating his speed. He keeps right up with booth, easily. He's gotta be the fastest, or second fastest on the team.
he's not faster than dvorak. he's not slow, just not a burner IMO. he's got weiss-type speed.

flapanthersfan is offline  
Old
12-12-2010, 04:22 PM
  #10
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
70 points? Not going to happen. Not even close.

Second line center? Only with the Panthers.

He has 8 goals in 28 games, which is not bad, but he's not going to keep pace and will probably end the season with something like 14 or 15 goals.

I hope he'll prove me wrong though
Why wouldn't he keep pace ?

You do understand that people will have to get goals on our team... We won't be shutout every game until the end...

The guy has played like a pretty good player for 28 games... Why couldn't he continue and progress during his career ?

BabyJagrov is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 06:06 AM
  #11
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Why wouldn't he keep pace ?

You do understand that people will have to get goals on our team... We won't be shutout every game until the end...

The guy has played like a pretty good player for 28 games... Why couldn't he continue and progress during his career ?
Why wouldnt he keep pace...cause he's never shown that he can yet. Also teams will start keying on him more as they face him again and again. Regardless, I think he'll still put up a respectable goal & pt total this yr.

Yes but the guys that havent been producing as well will also be scoring goals. So dont expect him to keep up the current pace. Though I did notice a selfish play on his part to score that goal against the Caps instead of passing to Bernier who was standing on the doorstep. But I think he'll end up just short of 20 goals this yr (he's on pace for 23), my guess would be 17-18.

Now I was the first guy to say he was going to make the team on this board. From what I saw, he's going to be a good 2nd line center eventually. Always keeps his feet moving and plays a good 2-way style of game. I would like to see more playmaking ability out of him though. To me, he's basically become Tallon's next Versteeg.

As far as you're suggestion that you wouldnt be surprised if he put up 70 pts ever, I would be SHOCKED, absolutely SHOCKED! Last season only 30 players put up 70 points or more...you do realize that right? The previous season only 40 players did that. I like Jello as much as the next guy but realistically I would be surprised (as should you) if he was ever among the top 30-40 players in the league. I expect him to top out at around 55 points as his career yr which is the perfect type of output for a 2nd line forward.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 07:05 AM
  #12
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Why wouldnt he keep pace...cause he's never shown that he can yet. Also teams will start keying on him more as they face him again and again. Regardless, I think he'll still put up a respectable goal & pt total this yr.

Yes but the guys that havent been producing as well will also be scoring goals. So dont expect him to keep up the current pace. Though I did notice a selfish play on his part to score that goal against the Caps instead of passing to Bernier who was standing on the doorstep. But I think he'll end up just short of 20 goals this yr (he's on pace for 23), my guess would be 17-18.

Now I was the first guy to say he was going to make the team on this board. From what I saw, he's going to be a good 2nd line center eventually. Always keeps his feet moving and plays a good 2-way style of game. I would like to see more playmaking ability out of him though. To me, he's basically become Tallon's next Versteeg.

As far as you're suggestion that you wouldnt be surprised if he put up 70 pts ever, I would be SHOCKED, absolutely SHOCKED! Last season only 30 players put up 70 points or more...you do realize that right? The previous season only 40 players did that. I like Jello as much as the next guy but realistically I would be surprised (as should you) if he was ever among the top 30-40 players in the league. I expect him to top out at around 55 points as his career yr which is the perfect type of output for a 2nd line forward.
Exactly what I think... Santorelli is a 55-point player...

But as I've said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets near 70 points, okay that may have been some kind of a reach... But one big season in his career where he would put 65 points, wouldn't be a shock !

Nothing against you personally, but I'm tired of hearing "he has never shown he can keep pace"... The guy got his second chance in this League this year, give him a break !

By the logic of a lot of posters around here, they wouldn't take Couturier and rather have Higgins, because Higgins is playing in the NHL and has been a 20 goal-scorer... Those posters will come in and say I'm ridiculous because I have to take potential into account... Well why can't they see some potential in Santorelli ?

Like you, I would like to see him work on his powerplay, but I've been impressed in the last couple games, he had some pretty nice passes, problem is his partners aren't burying it (they aren't even getting a shot on goal)...

I see some potential in Santorelli, if others can't that's not my problem... I may have been a bit optimistic about predictions, but you know to me when I say, he can put 70 points, I was thinking barely getting there (66 points season or 69 points season or whatever... But I wasn't thinking of a great 75 points season...), and for one season...

I think he will score 20 goals this year IMO

BabyJagrov is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
  #13
Two4Fighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Dangerous, shiftier than Weiss, Fast, can keep up with Booth, creates own plays, very noticeable, great on the boards, increasingly progressing, fun to watch!.

Two4Fighting is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 09:35 AM
  #14
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes but the guys that havent been producing as well will also be scoring goals. So dont expect him to keep up the current pace. Though I did notice a selfish play on his part to score that goal against the Caps instead of passing to Bernier who was standing on the doorstep. But I think he'll end up just short of 20 goals this yr (he's on pace for 23), my guess would be 17-18.
i thought so too. i mean, there's really question - it was selfish.

zeroG is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
  #15
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,975
vCash: 500
There was nothing selfish about finishing his play. He could have passed it or he could have slammed it into an empty net. It's not like Bernier needed that to complete a hat trick. Finishing the play by scoring into an empty net because of the moves you made is not a selfish play at all. Being this is the Panthers, he would have passed it to Bernier and it would have jumped over his stick and the Caps would have taken it up the ice to score.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 11:48 AM
  #16
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 50
Jagrov I think takes cake for our biggest homer

Blad Meaning Gud is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
  #17
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Exactly what I think... Santorelli is a 55-point player...

But as I've said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets near 70 points, okay that may have been some kind of a reach... But one big season in his career where he would put 65 points, wouldn't be a shock !

Nothing against you personally, but I'm tired of hearing "he has never shown he can keep pace"... The guy got his second chance in this League this year, give him a break !

By the logic of a lot of posters around here, they wouldn't take Couturier and rather have Higgins, because Higgins is playing in the NHL and has been a 20 goal-scorer... Those posters will come in and say I'm ridiculous because I have to take potential into account... Well why can't they see some potential in Santorelli ?

Like you, I would like to see him work on his powerplay, but I've been impressed in the last couple games, he had some pretty nice passes, problem is his partners aren't burying it (they aren't even getting a shot on goal)...

I see some potential in Santorelli, if others can't that's not my problem... I may have been a bit optimistic about predictions, but you know to me when I say, he can put 70 points, I was thinking barely getting there (66 points season or 69 points season or whatever... But I wasn't thinking of a great 75 points season...), and for one season...

I think he will score 20 goals this year IMO
I'm sorry but I would still be shocked if he even hit 66 pts or anything of what you're suggesting. When I said 55 pts, thats what I see him as maxed out. Thats not a slight against him either. Just what I think his realistic max would be. I would expect him to be a consistent 40-50 pt player though.

Some people also over estimate what a player's abilities actually will be. I mean I remember having the discussions on this board about Kreps after his rookie season, some claiming him to be a top 6 forward that next season. I remember saying how he wasnt ever going to be a top 6 forward and he couldnt be expected to be one in his 2nd yr especially. And during that discussion, someone (I cant remember who) was claiming that Kreps would progress and put up over 40 pts in his 2nd yr. I showed how most players progress more slowly and at best a modest improvement is all that should ever be expected (2nd full yr...about 9 more pts).

My point about the above is everyone should really temper those projections with some guys and be more realistic. I like Santorelli A LOT and hope he continues to produce. But to expect him to progress like you suggested just isnt realistic. This is going to be his 1st full yr in the NHL. As I've presented before (in the case of Kreps), some players can regress in their 2nd yr in the NHL. But even if they do progress, it will be very modest increases. And his 3rd full yr in the NHL is generally going to be the key season for most players as the adjustment period is over and you get a good idea then of what kind of player you really have. So until Santorelli is in his 3rd yr, its hard to justify it that he'll keep up the pace as there's not much evidence to prove it. By that 3rd season, I think you'll see him as a consistent 20+ g player, 40-50 pts. I just dont think you'll see him top over 55 pts ever and thats so long as he continues to play like he is.

Like I said, think of him as Tallon's new Kris Versteeg and you cant be disappointed with that. Good all-around player, capable of putting up 40-50 pts per season while still be good defensively and once in a while put up just over 50 pts. I expect him to finish with about 35 pts this yr, just shy of 20 goals and then next season a modest improvement to break the 40 pt plateau and definitely crack the 20+ goal plateau.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
  #18
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i thought so too. i mean, there's really question - it was selfish.
There's times when I dont mind it but just that one was a bit questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There was nothing selfish about finishing his play. He could have passed it or he could have slammed it into an empty net. It's not like Bernier needed that to complete a hat trick. Finishing the play by scoring into an empty net because of the moves you made is not a selfish play at all. Being this is the Panthers, he would have passed it to Bernier and it would have jumped over his stick and the Caps would have taken it up the ice to score.
Well knowing the Panthers, he could've also tried to stuff it home like he did and hit the side of the net too instead. A lot of guys have done that on this team in the past which is why I mentioned it. Its not that big of a slight against him, just something I noticed watching that game.

I would like to see him continue to progress and see what kind of playmaking ability he has. I think by now we're confident in his goal scoring abilities for the most part. I'd just like to see him start distributing pucks as well to see if he's more one-dimensional on offense or not. I cant complain about a guy wanting to put the puck in the net at all. But I usually attribute centers as the guy that is usually playing very balanced in terms of creating offense for both himself and his linemates. And more often that not, the center is more of a playmaker than a scorer as well.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 01:05 PM
  #19
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There's times when I dont mind it but just that one was a bit questionable.Well knowing the Panthers, he could've also tried to stuff it home like he did and hit the side of the net too instead. A lot of guys have done that on this team in the past which is why I mentioned it. Its not that big of a slight against him, just something I noticed watching that game.

I would like to see him continue to progress and see what kind of playmaking ability he has. I think by now we're confident in his goal scoring abilities for the most part. I'd just like to see him start distributing pucks as well to see if he's more one-dimensional on offense or not. I cant complain about a guy wanting to put the puck in the net at all. But I usually attribute centers as the guy that is usually playing very balanced in terms of creating offense for both himself and his linemates. And more often that not, the center is more of a playmaker than a scorer as well.
true. there are times when being selfish is OK but santo's move was much more difficult than tapping it over to bernier. you're right, that is the key point.

zeroG is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 04:03 PM
  #20
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
Jagrov I think takes cake for our biggest homer
I'm a fan for sure !

I also rather see the glass half-full rather than half-empty...

Not sure I like the homer thing, generally homers are blinded idiots...

Just because I think Santorelli has the ceiling of a second-line center ?

Santorelli has been a top offensive guy (for his team) in the AHL already, and a point-per-game player...

He just got his first real chance at an NHL roster and stands currently at a .43 PPG pace... Yeah, he doesn't stand a chance to improve on that...

The Vertseeg comparison is great... 'Cause I could see Versteeg putting a couple of pretty good seasons too

BabyJagrov is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 04:17 PM
  #21
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Some very good replies here fellas, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like another nice find from the Nashville system. Looks like you have Rich Peverley version 2.0 which isn't a bad thing at all.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
  #22
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Over a month and a half later, thoughts/feedback on Santorell's play? I see another goal and 2 pts tonight as you guys beat NYR.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
  #23
16Skippy
Registered User
 
16Skippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
We still love him. He's earned himself the title of #2 center on our team and honestly I think he's probably more consistent then Booth and Frolik.

16Skippy is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
  #24
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
We still love him. He's earned himself the title of #2 center on our team and honestly I think he's probably more consistent then Booth and Frolik.
He's smarter then both, that's for sure

Blad Meaning Gud is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
  #25
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Santorelli has proved he can handle the second line spot in the future...

That's put us in a "bad" situation !

We all want to upgrade in the middle even if we like Weiss, Santorelli has proved himself, Matthias making a case for more ice-time, Reasoner being a great savy veteran... That's 4 centermen I can say I'm pleased to have on our team, yet if we want to get better... Something got to give !

Santorelli has been demoted to the 4th line in the last 2 games, and he responded yesterday with his first multi-point game in a long time ! It will be great to see Mike's evolution...

BabyJagrov is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.