HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun: Lightning among four teams Brad Richards is interested in

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
sonny side up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Misinformation, that Kariya contract was so he would become a UFA at the end of that season and earn big money after. As a clause in the then CBA was something along the lines of if a player earned less than the league average they would become a UFA, something to do with the lockout I think??
Or that he was just super awesome and wanted to play with his BFF Selanne.

Old
12-18-2010, 11:46 PM
IdealisticSniper

I could see Richards signing here for a cap hit of around 4-5M a year to be honest.

And if thats the case, and all the stars align halfway decently, and Vinik feels like spending, we could definitely afford to add a few more pieces if we wanted as well as pay Stamkos, AND keep Gagne at around a 3M cap hit which I think he might accept if he likes it here and the team keeps improving.

Its so far away but next offseason is a pretty big one for this franchise in a few aspects. But lets finish this season first

Old
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Off Center

don't forget we have promising young potential stars in the minors - connolly and ashton come to mind first.

stammer and downie are core players and no-brainers to keep long term. vinny and marty have multi-year deals already. if you now sign richards and gagne to multi-year extensions you've closed all job openings in your top 6 and you still have malone, purcell as your starting pieces for the 3rd line.

sounds like a great problem to have on the surface, but everyone but stammer and downie will be over 30 and not getting any younger....not only do you close off any opportunity to add youthful energy to your top 6, you push legitimate 3rd liners off the roster for some players who belong on scoring lines while letting other potential stars languish in the minors or on grinding lines. you also have to play one of your 3 highly paid centers out of position or on the 3rd line

those are the moves of a team whose championship window is closing, not one whose window is opening. i feel the team will re-sign gagne or a similar profile to replace him and that is it for outside hires on the top 6. the rest of the lines will be filled by internal options and the spending will be on defense and at the goalie position

Old
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Center View Post
don't forget we have promising young potential stars in the minors - connolly and ashton come to mind first.
Promising does not equal proven. If Yzerman handles Lightning prospects anything like Detroit handles theirs, Connolly, Ashton and Panik will have to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are ready. I would expect some seasoning in the A and lower lines before earning top-6 minutes.

Quote:
stammer and downie are core players and no-brainers to keep long term. vinny and marty have multi-year deals already. if you now sign richards and gagne to multi-year extensions you've closed all job openings in your top 6 and you still have malone, purcell as your starting pieces for the 3rd line.
I don't think signing both Richards and Gagne is even a remote possibility, but I do think the Lightning will decide between, and try to sign, one of the two. If you were speaking against signing both, I understand what you were driving at.

Quote:
those are the moves of a team whose championship window is closing, not one whose window is opening. i feel the team will re-sign gagne or a similar profile to replace him and that is it for outside hires on the top 6. the rest of the lines will be filled by internal options and the spending will be on defense and at the goalie position
Pretty spot on, IMO. Well put.

Old
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Off Center

thx, nhljohnson - my post was mainly a rebuttal to the notion that the team could\would sign richards AND gagne, as was brought up a few times on this thread. the cap numbers might work, but the team development and balance of talent would be out of whack.

even if ashton and connolly don't make it to the big club until 2013, neither brad or simon is signing a 1 year deal anywhere so it's all or nothing with either guy. i'd be shocked if either one signed a deal expiring before 2015.

personally i'd prefer gagne if he can prove durable enough to play out the season. he would already be familiar with the team, likely will take a million or two less than brad, and doesn't create a logjam at center

Old
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

I agree with most of what you said, but I am still positive in my belief that VL4 is not a center and should play wing.

Old
12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but I am still positive in my belief that VL4 is not a center and should play wing.
I think this would be best for him as well, playing center, he has to worry about distributing the puck and making space. The guy has a natural scoring ability that's been closed off for the last 2 years, he 50 goal potential in him, I think if he just worries about scoring goals on the wing with someone dependable like Richards to make plays then he'd be a top notch scoring threat once again.

For the future I'd probably sign Richards to a possible 3-4 year deal and Gagne to a 1 year deal.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
I think this would be best for him as well, playing center, he has to worry about distributing the puck and making space. The guy has a natural scoring ability that's been closed off for the last 2 years, he 50 goal potential in him, I think if he just worries about scoring goals on the wing with someone dependable like Richards to make plays then he'd be a top notch scoring threat once again.

For the future I'd probably sign Richards to a possible 3-4 year deal and Gagne to a 1 year deal.
I think Lecavalier would be effective at both center and wing.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Rschmitz

....but if you bring Richards on board than VL definitely would be a nice fit on the wing.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:08 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Misinformation, that Kariya contract was so he would become a UFA at the end of that season and earn big money after. As a clause in the then CBA was something along the lines of if a player earned less than the league average they would become a UFA, something to do with the lockout I think??
lol no, it was because he wanted to go contend for a Cup with his best friend Selanne.

They ended up not doing much that year, even tho they had Selanne/Kariya/Sakic/Forsberg/etc....

Old
12-21-2010, 07:05 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
lol no, it was because he wanted to go contend for a Cup with his best friend Selanne.

They ended up not doing much that year, even tho they had Selanne/Kariya/Sakic/Forsberg/etc....
Quote:
The Dynamic Duo signed with Colorado where Kariya took a pay cut to 1.2M because, at the time, CBA rules mandated that anyone paid below the league average would enter Unrestricted Free Agency at the expiration of his contract. This guaranteed UFA status for Kariya during the potential (and eventual) lockout. Bryan Murray signed Sergei Fedorov to a long-term deal at the previously unaffordable 10M a year.

NOW, those are the facts.

I've always been willing to welcome Kariya back with open arms. He gave everything for this squad, and I don't blame him for wanting to try a one-year contract (and, presumably, free agency) when they refused to protect him in '97.
http://anaheimcalling.blogspot.com/2...ke-kariya.html

I can back up my claims....can you back up yours?

Old
12-24-2010, 03:10 PM
MyersMagic57*

Richards-Stamkos-Lecavalier-St.Louis?

that'd be amazing!

Derek Roy out for season-Sabres tanking season---LETS GO LIGHTNING!

Stamkos > Crosby wooh!

Old
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
It’s a logical inference, considering the Leafs’ desperate need for a front line centre, the cash they now have available, and the fact that Toronto fans assume that every pending free agent wants to play for the blue and white.

Except for one problem. Apparently, Richards doesn’t.

The free agent to-be has told an old Tampa source that he has no real interest in playing in Toronto, if he, in fact, becomes a free agent come July. Richards’ first choice is to remain in Dallas, assuming the team gets sold and can afford to sign him. His second and third choice, not necessarily in order, would be returning to Tampa (which doesn’t seem possible economically) or playing for his old coach, John Tortorella, with the New York Rangers. He has also hinted about having some interest regarding playing in Carolina.

When asked about Toronto, he apparently said nothing but shook his head
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../17341466.html

Old
02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
His second and third choice, not necessarily in order, would be returning to Tampa (which doesn’t seem possible economically)
Appreciate the link, but I hope nobody takes Simmons word on the Lightning's cap/payroll logistics as gospel. I suspect Simmons made the extra comment after taking a brief peek at the Lightning's obligations on Capgeek without doing any real analysis.

If Richards makes it to UFA and the Lightning want him, they could fit him in without difficulty. I could, within an hour or so, come up with multiple scenarios to prove my point, but given the previous discussion about Richards that has taken place in this thread, that might be overkill.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Richie doesn't seem like the kind of guy to want to play in a hockey crazy city like Toronto after only playing here and in Dallas his whole career.

That said if Brad wants a discount to come back by all means.

Old
02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
BoltSTH

I think it would come down to Brad or Gagne (even if $3m/year next year for Gagne), not both.
I would rather keep Gagne, resign Brewer and use the Brad-Gagne contract difference on another D-man to replace MAB/Smaby/Jones

Old
02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
I think it would come down to Brad or Gagne (even if $3m/year next year for Gagne), not both.
I would rather keep Gagne, resign Brewer and use the Brad-Gagne contract difference on another D-man to replace MAB/Smaby/Jones
I agree, but I think if it comes down to Brad or Gagne. Id get Brad back. Gagne will actually come a lot cheaper because his injury history will scare some teams. So we might actually be able to keep both or be wise with it and sign a defensemen like you said to strengthen that area. A Vinny, Richards, Purcell line would be insane though. Or you could kick it old school and make a Vinny, Richards, St. Louis line as the first and then a Purcell, Stamkos, Downie line as the second.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Appreciate the link, but I hope nobody takes Simmons word on the Lightning's cap/payroll logistics as gospel. I suspect Simmons made the extra comment after taking a brief peek at the Lightning's obligations on Capgeek without doing any real analysis.

If Richards makes it to UFA and the Lightning want him, they could fit him in without difficulty. I could, within an hour or so, come up with multiple scenarios to prove my point, but given the previous discussion about Richards that has taken place in this thread, that might be overkill.
Oh I'm well aware of that, in fact each and every one of us had to at least once clarify that to other users on the Trade board, I believe.

Gagne, Smith and Brewer all come off the books after this season. I don't know what Yzerman's future plans for Brewer are but if Gagne should re-sign it would be for a lot less than his current $5.250 million. Smith is 100% gone and Stamkos currently already has a cap hit of $3.725 million so even if he gets an Ovechkin ($9.500 cap hit) or Crosby ($8.700 cap hit) kinda deal, that raise could easily be compensated by just letting Gagne (and of course Smitty) walk.

Richards already made some comments that could lead you to believe he'd be willing to take a discount to come back to Tampa to play with his BFF Vinny and also Marty. Brad, Marty and Stammer sure had fun at the All Star game together, too.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 02-21-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old
02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
TBFan

I think those "concussion like" symptoms would come into play here.

I understand the love for Richards, but he really isn't a player that the Lightning need. You are potentially without a goalie for next season and you still have issues with the defense. With that, I would think bring in another top six forward would by low on the priority list.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
I think those "concussion like" symptoms would come into play here.

I understand the love for Richards, but he really isn't a player that the Lightning need. You are potentially without a goalie for next season and you still have issues with the defense. With that, I would think bring in another top six forward would by low on the priority list.
He would be a very nice to have, and would definitely like to see him replace Gagne (assuming he takes less to return) if that is what it takes. There would still be cap space left to address goaltending and defense, even with Stammer's raise - the FA pool of defenseman this summer doesn't look particularly appeasing as it is. Not to mention the difference him manning the point could mean to our PP which is in need of adjustment. He could make a difference here easily.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
gn2007

well after seeing james neal and matt niskanen traded to penguins. I wouldn't be shocked if dallas moves richards now

Old
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2007 View Post
well after seeing james neal and matt niskanen traded to penguins. I wouldn't be shocked if dallas moves richards now
Niskanen appears to have negative trade value. Just wow...

Old
02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I Am Beat You

That move freed up cap space for Dallas, so if anything I would think it gives them a little more confidence in re-signing him.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:09 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
That move freed up cap space for Dallas, so if anything I would think it gives them a little more confidence in re-signing him.
In theory: yes. In practice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Darren Dreger seems to believe the Neal-Goligoski deal could be a precursor to Richards leaving.
Quote:
Richards and Neal are very close friends. I think Richards re-signing with Stars is a longshot.
20 minutes ago

Old
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

come to Tampa Brad

Closed Thread