HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC U20: Dec 26-Jan 5 - Focus on Washington Capitals' Prospects

Old
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Frank:

Not arguing one bit about GMGM's great drafting abilities and I'm especially pleased with getting Kuznetsov at 26. When you are drafting as late as the Capitals have been these last few years, GMGM has done an extraordinariy job.

All that being said, the Capitals played a highly entertaining "style" of game last season that resulted in winning the President's Cup. Yet it didn't translate well into the playoffs. Come the playoffs, the style that wins is what you saw in the Canadian/US WJC game.

BTW: Emminger = Carlson
Are you sure about that? I donít believe he is Canadian. His style with all those zig-zags might not translate in to blue color hockey that we need for POís.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Forget Getzlaf, give me Shea Weber
That '03 class is so stacked. Tough choice between Weber and Getzlaf (both were still on the board when we took Fehr, Parise was taken with the pick before). Even if we stick to just picking RW players, we could have taken Corey Perry (28th) or David Backes (62nd).

Honestly, I'm more disappointed that, even with our lack of a 2nd rounder in 2003, Fehr is still the only player we drafted in 03 to crack the NHL. Guys like Joe Pavelski (7th round!!) Kyle Quincey, Lee Stempniak, Jan Hejda, Dustin Byfuglien, and Matt Moulsen were still available at our next pick in the 3rd round. I realize from the 3rd on (and even the late 2nd in many draft classes) is basically a crap shoot, but still. So much talent and very little results.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That '03 class is so stacked. Tough choice between Weber and Getzlaf (both were still on the board when we took Fehr, Parise was taken with the pick before). Even if we stick to just picking RW players, we could have taken Corey Perry (28th) or David Backes (62nd).

Honestly, I'm more disappointed that, even with our lack of a 2nd rounder in 2003, Fehr is still the only player we drafted in 03 to crack the NHL. Guys like Joe Pavelski (7th round!!) Kyle Quincey, Lee Stempniak, Jan Hejda, Dustin Byfuglien, and Matt Moulsen were still available at our next pick in the 3rd round. I realize from the 3rd on (and even the late 2nd in many draft classes) is basically a crap shoot, but still. So much talent and very little results.
Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Loui Eriksson, Brent Burns, it hurts to list anymore.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Are you sure about that? I donít believe he is Canadian. His style with all those zig-zags might not translate in to blue color hockey that we need for POís.
One thing that can be said about you Vlad, you've never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Loui Eriksson, Brent Burns, it hurts to list anymore.
None of those guys were available by the time the Caps had their pick in the 3rd round. I'd easily take Weber or Getzlaf over them if we're talking about the Fehr pick.

On the otherhand, one could argue that we don't finish as poorly over the next few seasons if we have a, say, Getzlaf. In that case, we may never get Backstrom or Alzner. So maybe the Fehr pick worked out in the end...

Old
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Millhaus

Cherry picking draft picks from past drafts with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and then whining about how great it would have been to draft that guy instead of this one might just be the most annoying thing about these boards.

But man it sure would have been great if Knuble had just stayed a tab bit farther away from Halak and not been called on goaltender interference play last April. That would have been so cool...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Cherry picking draft picks from past drafts with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and then whining about how great it would have been to draft that guy instead of this one might just be the most annoying thing about these boards.

But man it sure would have been great if Knuble had just stayed a tab bit farther away from Halak and not been called on goaltender interference play last April. That would have been so cool...
I don't usually cherry-pick draft picks, but only getting Eric Fehr out of that entire 2003 draft was pretty bad. As was mentioned a few posts ago, however, is that a better pick in 2003 would've accelerated the rebuild, which means the first round picks go from early-round (Backstrom/Alzner) to late-round a year or two earlier. So thinking about what might've been had we taken Getzlaf or Weber is a mostly zero-sum exercise.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
One thing that can be said about you Vlad, you've never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.

Old
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Next game the first rounds on me.

Old
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Next game the first rounds on me.
Cool beans.

P.S. zenzizenzizenzic- now go get your dictionary

Old
01-07-2011, 04:38 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Cool beans.

P.S. zenzizenzizenzic- now go get your dictionary
I think I just had a tenesmus moment.

Old
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
sycamore

Quote:

That draft was incredible, but you figure the team that really has to be kicking itself is the Penguins, drafting a mediocre goaltender with the #1 pick -- I still maintain they won a cup in spite of him rather than with his help. The Flyers on the other hand were clear winners getting Jeff Carter and Mike Richards with only middling picks.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
pgreene

better picks in pre-ovechkin drafts likely mean no ovechkin.

gmgm had it lined up all along. do not question the mighty mafki.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
better picks in pre-ovechkin drafts likely mean no ovechkin.

gmgm had it lined up all along. do not question the mighty mafki.
While, as I mentioned in another thread, a better pick (namely Weber or Getzlaf) could have cost us Backstrom and/or Alzner, I highly doubt it costs us Ovechkin. No way that anyone we draft impacts the team the year after he gets drafted that much. Pretty much nobody in that class (including Getzlaf and Weber) made their debuts until after the lockout.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Slay

Quote:
As far as the Ruissian-Canadian game, It's my opinion that that game was more about the failures of the Canadians in that game rather than the successes of the Russians. To the Canadians, playing the Russians in the championship was pretty anti-climatic after defeating the U.S. and when the Russians scored those two quick goals, the huge momentum and emotion swing went over to the Russians and the Canadians could never get it back.
Hard to say. Canada still played with good intensity against Russia. Canada looked flashier in the US game because I think US tried to outCanada Canada. They tried to play Canadaís type of game, went for hits and took a lot of hits and well, it didnít give them anything but slowed them down and only added fire to Canadaís players. Russians played more illusive and fast game than US, they were way harder targets and found easier ways to get out of their zone and it took something out of Canadaís game.

I think it is normal Canada slowed down a little bit in the 3rd, you cannot have the same type of high intensity as you did in the first two periods especially having such large team (they were not as focused against US too in the 3rd but Americans werenít fast, creative and precise enough to exploit it). It's nature of the sport and nature of a human body. We see it all the time in the NHL, one period it's one team, the other period - other team. Still though I wouldn't say Canadians were doing some glaring mistakes, it's just Russian top guns were creating quality chances through the whole game and eventually those started to go in (of course you need some luck to have this high % of realization).

Quote:
Doubt we would see such a repeat performance by the Canadian juniors if they had played the Russians outright in a best of 7 game series, and that was the gist of my opinion
Maybe, but you don't have to be a genius to consider Canada a big favorite with the depth they have through all lines and D. 15(!) first rounders against the team with just 5 drafted players total. And that has very little to do with the style of play, these Russian guys could play the most North American type of game (like US did in the semis) and still be considered heavy underdogs simply because of slim depth in comparison. Now imaging Russian team consisting exclusively out of Tarasenkos, Kuznetsovs, Kytsins and Orlovs and not out of army of undrafted players then I think your opinion wouldn't be as clear-cut.

Slay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:01 AM
washcaps008*

What it comes down to, is that the Russians finally believed it was possible to beat canada, its called confidence.

People have to believe they can win, before they actually do follow through.

This is what happened in the game, the Russians realized, that the canadians gave them everything they could handle, and even though they did, they still managed to beat Canada basically on home ice, that crowd was 90% canadian.

Once players in the NHL realize that sid the kid should be physically attacked and repeatedly hit and not be given any room on the ice, then you will see Sid's production go down.
People are starting to buy the hype, and not playing sid the way you should play him.
Finally the caps and lightning had some guys say enough is enough, we gotta hit this mofo, and look what happened? concussion.

Bruce was wrong on 24/7 when he said "hitting sid doesn't do anything, but hit malkin". He is right, Malkin is a guy you should hit, but I believe every team in the league, should go after sid PHYSICALLY always, no matter what, because eventually and especially now, he will get a repeat concussion.

PLEASE NHL, PLAYERS, HIT SID EVERY CHANCE YOU GET, YEAHHHHH!!!
What a great day to find out sid has a concussion, that little arrogant ***** deserves it, as do most canadian hockey players for being so full of themselves!

Way to go Russia and way to go Caps/Tampa on a job well done on sid the crying kid!

washcaps008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Chrome looks great on the car when it's in the showroom. But in reality, it's the all weather tires and the sturdy bumpers that allow you to survive the beltway and city traffic.

Just as flash and style are eye candy rather it's the two-way players, the grinders and the physical players and play that get you to the playoffs and beyond.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
pgreene

Quote:
While, as I mentioned in another thread, a better pick (namely Weber or Getzlaf) could have cost us Backstrom and/or Alzner, I highly doubt it costs us Ovechkin. No way that anyone we draft impacts the team the year after he gets drafted that much. Pretty much nobody in that class (including Getzlaf and Weber) made their debuts until after the lockout.
anaheim, while crap, was pretty deep down the middle that year. nashville was actually decent.

we were total garbage. both getzlaf and weber might've suited up. made a difference? maybe not. but even one win that was a loss would've changed the lottery position, and the odds.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
anaheim, while crap, was pretty deep down the middle that year. nashville was actually decent.

we were total garbage. both getzlaf and weber might've suited up. made a difference? maybe not. but even one win that was a loss would've changed the lottery position, and the odds.
But then we'd have Cam Barker or Andrew Ladd, and everybody knows Canadians win championships

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

Grubauer's comments about playing in the WJC in Buffalo

link; also, he made 37 saves in his first game back with Kingston, 4-2 win link

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
sk84fun_dc