HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Can a Team...?

Old
12-12-2010, 10:51 PM
nye

vCash: 500
Can a Team...?

Can a team send a player under contract to another team's training camp?

I'm thinking about the situation of Souray. Over the summer it is unlikely that any team is going to be willing to take on a contract for a player of his age and history who has been out of the NHL for over 18 months.

Many UFAs get an invite for a tryout. If it's working out, then the team gives the player a contract. I'm thinking the Oilers arrange a trade in principle with the condition that Souray report to the team's training camp and earn his spot. I'm thinking it might make it more likely the Oilers trade him in the case that he proves useful and the Oilers are not forced to trade just the salary.

Can something like this be done? I am asking here due to the concentration of people who know the CBA.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:58 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Can a team send a player under contract to another team's training camp?

I'm thinking about the situation of Souray. Over the summer it is unlikely that any team is going to be willing to take on a contract for a player of his age and history who has been out of the NHL for over 18 months.

Many UFAs get an invite for a tryout. If it's working out, then the team gives the player a contract. I'm thinking the Oilers arrange a trade in principle with the condition that Souray report to the team's training camp and earn his spot. I'm thinking it might make it more likely the Oilers trade him in the case that he proves useful and the Oilers are not forced to trade just the salary.

Can something like this be done? I am asking here due to the concentration of people who know the CBA.
No - a team cannot loan a player to another NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 1 - Definitions
"Loan" means the transfer of a Player from a Club's Active Roster, Non-Roster, Injured Non-Roster or Injured Reserve List to the roster of a club outside the NHL.
The Oilers could theoretically loan Souray to another team's AHL Affiliate - to give that team time to observe and evaluate - but he cannot play for another NHL team, even in camp.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Additionally from the NHL ByLaws

Quote:
9.4 A Member Club shall not loan a player to another Member Club. All transfers between Member Clubs (including transfer resulting from draft claims of purchase pursuant to Section 16A or the Expansion Draft Regulations or as an equalization payment for a free agent resulting from negotiation or arbitration under Section 9A) shall be absolute and shall not contain any provision:

(a) for the return or other disposition of the rights to the services of that player at any future time; or

(b) restricting in any way the transferability of that player at any future time.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
nye

Thanks for the replies.

I guess that eliminates that.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote