HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida and Washington trade idea

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Florida and Washington trade idea

to Florida
#1 pick
Boyd Gordon

to Washington
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek
#7 pick
Anthony Stewart

Horton would obviously be the centerpiece of the deal.

Krajicek is a player with great upside. However he is still a bit of a wild card at this point.

the #7 pick would be obviously needed. Even though this is a weak draft, the Caps could get a good player here. Or maybe even package this pick with one of the 2nd's and move up to get Ladd

Stewart is just a little bit of an upgrade over Gordon. Even though I really like Gordon, Stewart has a bit more offensive upside, and is a better skater.

Now I know all Cap fans are going to say its not enough. And that all Panther Fans are going to say its too much. I would really appreciate some objective opinions from everyone, not just Cap and Panther fans (although your opinions are still welcome ).

Old
06-20-2004, 09:55 PM
goalienut

Although the Caps are getting alot. I'd still say no. Take Gordon out and add Kolnik and maybe I'd think about it.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'd like to think Ovechkin could/would have more impact than Horton can.

That's probably what it boils down to. While the other pieces in the trade would be tempting as well... I definitely woudl also shy away from dealing in the division.

Part of what I see Ovechkin is this, if they pick him and he busts, that sucks, but it's not an awful stigma the Caps could never overcome. They'd probably end up with other shots at taking high picks, since the team wouldn't have someone to help them improve. But if they trade him away and he turns out to be equal to a portion of the hype (i.e. a premier player in the league) then that stigma is hard to get over. Giving away a top player is a difficult pill to swallow.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I'd like to think Ovechkin could/would have more impact than Horton can.

That's probably what it boils down to. While the other pieces in the trade would be tempting as well... I definitely woudl also shy away from dealing in the division.

Part of what I see Ovechkin is this, if they pick him and he busts, that sucks, but it's not an awful stigma the Caps could never overcome. They'd probably end up with other shots at taking high picks, since the team wouldn't have someone to help them improve. But if they trade him away and he turns out to be equal to a portion of the hype (i.e. a premier player in the league) then that stigma is hard to get over. Giving away a top player is a difficult pill to swallow.
Not if you become a very good team because of the deal. No one is saying that Horton will be a better player than Ovechkin. But is Horton a very good player, yes. Are the other players coming with him very good players/prospects, yes. I wil always take 3 or 4 very good players than 1 great player. Especially if I am rebuilding like the Caps are.

And if George Mcphee decides not to do a deal because he is scared of what people may say, than he shouldn't be the GM of a professional hockey team. He should make any deal that he thinks can make the team better. And 3 or 4 very good players would make the Caps better than just one great player.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17
Not if you become a very good team because of the deal. No one is saying that Horton will be a better player than Ovechkin. But is Horton a very good player, yes. Are the other players coming with him very good players/prospects, yes. I wil always take 3 or 4 very good players than 1 great player. Especially if I am rebuilding like the Caps are.

And if George Mcphee decides not to do a deal because he is scared of what people may say, than he shouldn't be the GM of a professional hockey team. He should make any deal that he thinks can make the team better. And 3 or 4 very good players would make the Caps better than just one great player.

I disagree... I'd rather have that one superstar. That one player who makes the rest of your team better. The Iginla, the Forsberg, the Lemieux. While I'm not saying Ovechkin is going to be anyone of those players, I feel he could have as much impact for the Capitals. He could be a top 10, or top 5 player in the league. Players like that are difficult to come by. Good solid players are a little more numerous.

Most teams have a fair number of ok to decent players. Few teams in the NHL have stars.

While harder to yield those stars, when the chance presents itself, I think you have to take it, unless you're getting a potential franchise player in return.

Horton, Krajicek, Stewart, and say, Olesz/Ladd/whoever the Caps would take at #7 might be good players in the league someday. But their upside doesn't have the ceiling a player like Ovechkin/Crosby/whoever will be 2006's number 1, and so forth, could reach.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:38 PM
txomisc

washington would be crazy not to take this team if it were offered

Old
06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
I agree, but I think it's too much from a Panthers standpoint.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I disagree... I'd rather have that one superstar. That one player who makes the rest of your team better. The Iginla, the Forsberg, the Lemieux. While I'm not saying Ovechkin is going to be anyone of those players, I feel he could have as much impact for the Capitals. He could be a top 10, or top 5 player in the league. Players like that are difficult to come by. Good solid players are a little more numerous.

Most teams have a fair number of ok to decent players. Few teams in the NHL have stars.

While harder to yield those stars, when the chance presents itself, I think you have to take it, unless you're getting a potential franchise player in return.

Horton, Krajicek, Stewart, and say, Olesz/Ladd/whoever the Caps would take at #7 might be good players in the league someday. But their upside doesn't have the ceiling a player like Ovechkin/Crosby/whoever will be 2006's number 1, and so forth, could reach.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

i find it funny that you mention Forsberg when he was just a guy who was expected to be come a good player (Horton) compared to the Elite superstar,Lindros(Ovechkin). i'm not saying Horton will be as good as forsberg, but i'd take the crap load of good/very good players , to the one superstar as i'm sure colorado is glad they took the package deal instead of the One superstar.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
This is becoming redundant IMO. The only way a team like Washington, with all of their assets and available salary would trade quality for quantity is if they're trading one superstar for two elite stars, if then.

Old
06-20-2004, 10:59 PM
timlap

Quote:
to Florida
#1 pick
Boyd Gordon

to Washington
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek
#7 pick
Anthony Stewart

. . .
I love Ovechkin, but if I were Washington I would accept this trade. That's a very good collection of players.

However, I can understand why Caps fans might feel reluctant- already they have an emotional attachment to Ovechkin and I don't blame them.

Would Florida make this deal? Probably not- yet Keenan might just be bold enough to go for it.

McPhee, I think would toss and turn and lose some sleep trying to figure out what to do.

Good proposal Japser!

Last edited by timlap: 06-20-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old
06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Jasper makes the best AO proposals because he's a cap fan that knows that Ovechkin isn't worth 4 top prospects and 2 1st rounders.

Old
06-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
to Florida
#1 pick
Boyd Gordon

to Washington
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek
#7 pick
Anthony Stewart

Krajicek is a player with great upside. However he is still a bit of a wild card at this point.

the #7 pick would be obviously needed. Even though this is a weak draft, the Caps could get a good player here. Or maybe even package this pick with one of the 2nd's and move up to get Ladd

Stewart is just a little bit of an upgrade over Gordon. Even though I really like Gordon, Stewart has a bit more offensive upside, and is a better skater.

Now I know all Cap fans are going to say its not enough. And that all Panther Fans are going to say its too much. I would really appreciate some objective opinions from everyone, not just Cap and Panther fans (although your opinions are still welcome ).

Replace Horton with Bouwmeester and i'd do it. Hortons injury problems worry me.

Old
06-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
That is the same way I feel, I'd rather have 3-4 potential good players than 1 potential great player because if that 1 great player becomes a bust or gets seriously injured then your season (depending on how much depth your team has) is pretty much screwed after.

Old
06-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Replace Horton with Bouwmeester and i'd do it. Hortons injury problems worry me.
What injury problems? You mean a seperated shoulder that he came back early from but should have had surgery on? He's had one injury.

As for the trade, it wouldn't happen. Horton and Stewart were Keenan's picks last year accordin to a few in the local meadia and he's the GM now. Maybe Weiss and Nedorost would be available from Keenan, but two North American powerforwards for a Euro? Not with Keenan.

Old
06-21-2004, 08:28 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Jesus Christ... I wouldn't touch that deal from a Florida standpoint.

Two potential first line power forwards, a potential #2 offensive defenseman, and the #7 overall pick for one potential superstar.

Florida wants to become a successful franchise for quite some time.

This trade would prevent that from happening.

Old
06-21-2004, 09:52 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Florida is giving up to much for someone who hasnt stepped on NHL ice yet. Florida gives up the only skilled, power forwards that they have in the organization, the #7 pick, and a Dman that will be a great offensive Dman in this league, for Ovechkin. Horton and Stewart are part of the "core" that this team talks about, and there is no way a deal like this would ever happen. Im not overpaying like this for a prospect, and then have him turn out to be nothing but a bust.

Old
06-21-2004, 10:32 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
to Florida
#1 pick
Boyd Gordon

to Washington
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek
#7 pick
Anthony Stewart

No.

Maybe #7 & Horton OR Krajicek for #1 but that's it.

And no Stewart.

Last edited by mikefavata: 06-21-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old
06-21-2004, 11:05 AM
txpd

this is such a waste of breath...or typing. there will not be any trade anyway.

Old
06-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
sorry man but this is just the worst trade offer I've ever seen in my life I wouldn't touch that with a 9 foot poll

Closed Thread