Nabokov to Washington Or Tampa Bay ?

Old
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Nabokov to Washington Or Tampa Bay ?

So the KHL and SKA and Evgeni Nabokov have mutually agreed to cancel their contract do to "family reasons". Nabokov is now officially a UFA.

Two NHL teams to watch are Washington, who he could help on the ice and with their Russian goaltenders and Tampa Bay, who seem to be able to score at will but can't keep the puck out of their own net.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
stick9

I call Washington. It would be a benefit to them on and off the ice.

As a side note, apparently San Jose isn't better off without him.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I thought any player who started the year in Europe would have to pass through waivers, is that not the case here?

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I thought any player who started the year in Europe would have to pass through waivers, is that not the case here?
I believe its any player with an NHL contract that started in Europe would have to pass through waivers. Or an RFA who started in Europe not a UFA.

But you could be right. Will have to look it up later.

Old
12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

i say tampa

varlamov and neuvirth are pretty good goalies, their defense is just bleh

tampa has a pretty weak tandem, smith is atrocious

nabokov would be a good fit there

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I believe its any player with an NHL contract that started in Europe would have to pass through waivers. Or an RFA who started in Europe not a UFA.

But you could be right. Will have to look it up later.
Pretty sure it's any player. I remember it coming up often when Jagr was rumored to be coming over during a season to Edmonton or Pittsburgh.

Is Nabby's family in Russia (would he be willing to come back to the US)? Wonder why the two sides decided to void the contract?

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Dom - OHL

Bill and Kaoz are correct.

Quote:
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside
North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his
Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)
only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the
Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or
Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
But, as a UFA a team acquiring him will have a certain amount of time to sign him. If they don't he's free to go somewhere else. So the question is, who's going to claim him if they cant signhim?

Old
12-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Bill and Kaoz are correct.

But, as a UFA a team acquiring him will have a certain amount of time to sign him. If they don't he's free to go somewhere else. So the question is, who's going to claim him if they cant signhim?
Doesn't he have to be signed before going through waivers?

Old
12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
stick9

If he's no longer under contract with the KHL and his rights no longer belong to any NHL organization, doesn't that make him a UFA? Sort of like when Hasek came back and signed with Detroit.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

With how badly the Capitals were destroyed last night (and by a team that isn't known for causing that kind of carnage), I'm going to predict he goes to Washington.

It may have been the final straw for that team.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
According to that part of the CBA i copied, he would have to clear waivers first even without a contract. And then the team would have something stupid like 48 hours to sign him. If not, then he becomes free to sign anywhere he chooses. Thats how i had it explained to me.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
That would be my question. How the heck do you claim someone in a cap world, before he's even signed to a contract? You may want to pay him $1M, but he might be looking for $5M.

Not that Nabby will ask for 5M at this point, but you get the idea.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 28%

My fantasy goalies could use a boost...hope he comes back, and I see it first.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
That would be my question. How the heck do you claim someone in a cap world, before he's even signed to a contract? You may want to pay him $1M, but he might be looking for $5M.

Not that Nabby will ask for 5M at this point, but you get the idea.
I think what you get by claiming him on waivers is a brief but exclusive negotiating window and that's it. You dont hold his rights as a UFA

Old
12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
According to that part of the CBA i copied, he would have to clear waivers first even without a contract. And then the team would have something stupid like 48 hours to sign him. If not, then he becomes free to sign anywhere he chooses. Thats how i had it explained to me.
But wouldn't waivers be completely redundant at that point? Pointless even?

Not that the CBA makes complete sense in any case, but that would be one heck of a glaring loophole if the point was to prevent teams from signing folks from overseas.

Re. Sticks comments. I believe there is a certain amount of games played overseas involved here. With Hasek, I believe he was just practicing overseas no? Not actually playing in any games. Nabokov has already played 22 games for his KHL team, voided contract or not.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
But wouldn't waivers be completely redundant at that point? Pointless even?

Not that the CBA makes complete sense in any case, but that would be one heck of a glaring loophole if the point was to prevent teams from signing folks from overseas.

Re. Sticks comments. I believe there is a certain amount of games played overseas involved here. With Hasek, I believe he was just practicing overseas no? Not actually playing in any games. Nabokov has already played 22 games for his KHL team, voided contract or not.
I dont know if this is true Kaoz, but the way it was explained to me is a team claiming him has a window with exclusive rights (48 hrs ?) to try and sign him. If they can't, then he becomes a free agent.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
I dont know if this is true Kaoz, but the way it was explained to me is a team claiming him has a window with exclusive rights (48 hrs ?) to try and sign him. If they can't, then he becomes a free agent.
I just read/found this:

If I'm right, not only is the player and his new contract subject to waivers, I believe it's re-entry waivers meaning he would already have signed his new contract and the team that signed him would be on the hook for half through the term.

Last edited by Kaoz*: 12-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
That effectively means that if there is a particular team that he wants to sign with, then he will do so, regardless of any claims. Heck, he (his lawyer) doesn't even have to pick up the phone during that 48 hours.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
patty59

Didn't this happen a couple years ago and Columbus picked up the goalie off waivers??

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Dom - OHL

I'm confused now lol

Old
12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
I'm confused now lol
Best example I can find is Orszagh. Phoenix brought him over, signed him, and then he had to go through recall waivers. St Louis claimed him.

Pretty sure the rule is put in place to deter players from signing overseas, making some quick cash and jetting back to the NHL whenever a team they like either frees up cash or gets interested.

This is why it pretty much never happens, and when it does it's usually to bring back a minimum salary 4th liner type.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Best example I can find is Orszagh. Phoenix brought him over, signed him, and then he had to go through recall waivers. St Louis claimed him.

Pretty sure the rule is put in place to deter players from signing overseas, making some quick cash and jetting back to the NHL whenever a team they like either frees up cash or gets interested.

This is why it pretty much never happens, and when it does it's usually to bring back a minimum salary 4th liner type.
That sounds like a slightly different wrinkle. The guy is already signed when someone else claims him. So the contract is fixed, and the player has no choice.

So what if he isn't signed yet?

Old
12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
That sounds like a slightly different wrinkle. The guy is already signed when someone else claims him. So the contract is fixed, and the player has no choice.

So what if he isn't signed yet?
Can't play in the NHL without a contract, and you wouldn't have to go through re-entry waivers without getting signed.

Another example was Wade Dubielewicz. Isles signed him, put him in waivers, Columbus claimed him.

It goes like this.

1. Player plays overseas
2. Team shows interest, hashes out a contract, signs player
3. Player has to go through waivers before playing
4. 29 other teams get a shot at claiming him

If he clears, he plays for the team that brought him over. If he gets claimed, he plays for the team that claims him or is in breach of his contract. If number 2 doesn't happen, there is no reason for a player to go through waivers, I don't believe it's even possible.

Nabokov can play this year in the NHL now that his contract has been released from SKA, but after a team hashes out a contract with him he will need to go through waivers. Won't likely happen.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Can't play in the NHL without a contract, and you wouldn't have to go through re-entry waivers without getting signed.

Another example was Wade Dubielewicz. Isles signed him, put him in waivers, Columbus claimed him.

It goes like this.

1. Player plays overseas
2. Team shows interest, hashes out a contract, signs player
3. Player has to go through waivers before playing
4. 29 other teams get a shot at claiming him

If he clears, he plays for the team that brought him over. If he gets claimed, he plays for the team that claims him or is in breach of his contract. If number 2 doesn't happen, there is no reason for a player to go through waivers, I don't believe it's even possible.

Nabokov can play this year in the NHL now that his contract has been released from SKA, but after a team hashes out a contract with him he will need to go through waivers. Won't likely happen.
That makes sense. So a player isn't on the NHL radar until he's actually signed a contract with an NHL team. Then he has to pass through waivers.

Well it sort of makes sense. Some teams might ask, why bother working out a contract, when he's only going to be claimed by someone else?

Old
12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
That makes sense. So a player isn't on the NHL radar until he's actually signed a contract with an NHL team. Then he has to pass through waivers.

Well it sort of makes sense. Some teams might ask, why bother working out a contract, when he's only going to be claimed by someone else?
Exactly. Were that rule not in place teams and players would be more apt to wait until mid season when cap hits are less substantial, needs arise, and players have gotten a substantial pay check elsewhere.

The NHL doesn't want a team telling Nabokov "you just go play at home in Russia for a few months, make some big dollars there, and we'll bring you back when we can make your salary work". That would open up a huge can of worms.