HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2010, 02:20 PM
  #226
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Have you seen their goalies?
Screw their goalies, have you seen their defense?

Atrocious.

It doesn't matter how little shots you allow if every shot you allow is from point blank because teams are turning you inside out.

CS is offline  
Old
12-24-2010, 04:38 PM
  #227
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Have you seen their goalies?
Err, the statistic I showed is independent of goaltending, really, since Tampa could and probably should be outscoring their opposition

chaosof99* is offline  
Old
12-24-2010, 09:29 PM
  #228
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
it could also mean that they lose blowouts, but win close games

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:16 PM
  #229
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=346827

Holmgren offered Foppa a contract March 2nd last year, but apparently Foppa turned him down because of his foot.

Now Foppa says no comeback is happening.

Shame, but we all saw that coming. I'm a little more surprised that Holmgren actually sent him a contract. I didn't hear about it until now.

CS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:19 PM
  #230
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=346827

Holmgren offered Foppa a contract March 2nd last year, but apparently Foppa turned him down because of his foot.

Now Foppa says no comeback is happening.

Shame, but we all saw that coming. I'm a little more surprised that Holmgren actually sent him a contract. I didn't hear about it until now.
Pretty sure this was common knowledge last year... or at the very least that they talked to Forsberg about whether or not he'd be willing to come back at the end of the year (he wouldn't have been eligible for the playoffs).

Jester is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
  #231
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pretty sure this was common knowledge last year... or at the very least that they talked to Forsberg about whether or not he'd be willing to come back at the end of the year (he wouldn't have been eligible for the playoffs).
I heard they were talking, but I didn't hear about Holmgren actually offering a contract.

And March 2nd was before the trade deadline, right?

CS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:30 PM
  #232
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I heard they were talking, but I didn't hear about Holmgren actually offering a contract.

And March 2nd was before the trade deadline, right?
It was, but I think that's a typo... since they reference the injuries to Carter and Gagne.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:33 PM
  #233
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It was, but I think that's a typo... since they reference the injuries to Carter and Gagne.
I thought that was a little bizarre as well. Oh well.

CS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
  #234
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I thought that was a little bizarre as well. Oh well.
Gagne was struggling, of course... but Carter was hot going into the Olympic break... and then got hurt a bit after the deadline.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 04:16 PM
  #235
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Screw their goalies, have you seen their defense?

Atrocious.

It doesn't matter how little shots you allow if every shot you allow is from point blank because teams are turning you inside out.
Smith has an .883 save percentage, Ellis has an .885 save percentage and both of them have GAA over 3.00.

Their defense isn't that bad and, honestly, it seems ridiculous to blame their atrocious goaltending on their defense. I mean, you watched the goals scored against them or the Tampa GDTs? Smith doesn't seem NHL caliber and Ellis isn't capable of playing as a starter. Miller has a .913 save percentage, Roloson has a .915 save percentage, Khabibulin has an .899 save percentage. These are all goalies on teams far worse then Tampa in terms of points and their defense yet they're putting up hell of a lot better numbers then Ellis and Smith.

The defense isn't anything amazing, but it's okay enough to get by with any decent goalie.

I don't care how bad you think a defense is, any decent goalie duo should be able to put up something better then an .885 save percentage between the two.

They're also second in the conference despite being dead last league-wide in GA. That combined with these goalie stats and what Tampa fans have been saying should tell you that goaltending is a huge problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Err, the statistic I showed is independent of goaltending, really, since Tampa could and probably should be outscoring their opposition
...Okay? You said that you were surprised that Tampa is "losing games on average" (which they aren't). I responded with why they're GA is so bad.

Usually one or two teams manage to make the playoffs each year with a negative goal differential. Tampa looks to be that team. Last year it was Ottawa. Usually these teams aren't a real threat for the Cup though and Tampa is no exception.

I'm surprised they're dead last in GA though. Didn't think they would be that far down.

Garbage Goal is online now  
Old
12-26-2010, 04:37 PM
  #236
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Smith has an .883 save percentage, Ellis has an .885 save percentage and both of them have GAA over 3.00.

Their defense isn't that bad and, honestly, it seems ridiculous to blame their atrocious goaltending on their defense. I mean, you watched the goals scored against them or the Tampa GDTs? Smith doesn't seem NHL caliber and Ellis isn't capable of playing as a starter. Miller has a .913 save percentage, Roloson has a .915 save percentage, Khabibulin has an .899 save percentage. These are all goalies on teams far worse then Tampa in terms of points and their defense yet they're putting up hell of a lot better numbers then Ellis and Smith.

The defense isn't anything amazing, but it's okay enough to get by with any decent goalie.

I don't care how bad you think a defense is, any decent goalie duo should be able to put up something better then an .885 save percentage between the two.

They're also second in the conference despite being dead last league-wide in GA. That combined with these goalie stats and what Tampa fans have been saying should tell you that goaltending is a huge problem for them.
I never said their goaltending was any better.

It's a bottom 10 defense playing in front of some of the worst goaltending in the NHL, if not the worst.

CS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 05:27 PM
  #237
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,631
vCash: 1688
NHL overrules Islanders request for postponement

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ment-1.2570251

Quote:
According to multiple sources, the Islanders’ request for postponement was ultimately overruled by the league.

Chief Deputy County Executive Rob Walker told Newsday that he discussed the situation with NHL executive Colin Campbell and advised the league disciplinarian to postpone the game.

“The most important thing for us is to ensure that roads are passable for public safety. We asked Nassau County residents to stay home unless it was an emergency. To have people out of their homes at 7 p.m. didn’t feel prudent at this time,” Walker said. “[Campbell] said he understood the issues and would have to discuss the situation with [NHL commissioner Gary Bettman].”

Traditionally the league decides to postpone a game based on the recommendation of the home team, but decided otherwise Sunday.

Although they declined to comment for this story, it is believed the league made it’s ruling based on the fact that both teams arrived safely and were available to play.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
12-26-2010, 06:15 PM
  #238
nyr199435
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Hey guys, fantasy question here. I need help with my goaltending, and both Boucher and Leighton are available. Word from a Flyers fan friend of mine is that it's Bobs' job to lose, but I'm wondering if either of them are worth a pickup given how good the Flyers are. Will either of them see action this season, or is Bobs the undisputed starter for this season? My friend said he firmly believed that Leighton was fool's gold, just one of many goalies that got hot at the right time. Does anyone see either guy starting more than a couple of games the rest of the season?

Sorry to spam your board, and thanks for any and all info.

nyr199435 is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
  #239
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Hey guys, fantasy question here. I need help with my goaltending, and both Boucher and Leighton are available. Word from a Flyers fan friend of mine is that it's Bobs' job to lose, but I'm wondering if either of them are worth a pickup given how good the Flyers are. Will either of them see action this season, or is Bobs the undisputed starter for this season? My friend said he firmly believed that Leighton was fool's gold, just one of many goalies that got hot at the right time. Does anyone see either guy starting more than a couple of games the rest of the season?

Sorry to spam your board, and thanks for any and all info.
Last I heard, Holmgren/Laviolette said that they're going to roll with 3 goalies. At this point, your guess on who the starter will be is as good as mine.

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 06:51 PM
  #240
nyr199435
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Huh. Does anyone have a guess as to who will get the most games the rest of the year? Someone already has Bobrovsky, who I'm pissed I didn't pick up, but it would be nice to cash in on Philly's success somehow.

nyr199435 is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
  #241
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,709
vCash: 500
I'm just happy the Pens are losing to the Sens right now 3-0.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
  #242
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,709
vCash: 500
Wait a ****ing minute... Godard dropped the gloves and Carkner didn't and there is no PP for Ottawa... WHAT THE ****!?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 08:05 PM
  #243
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Pens & Habs are down 3:0

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 08:06 PM
  #244
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,709
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me how a person can drop their gloves to try to fight someone and get no penalty?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 08:31 PM
  #245
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Can someone explain to me how a person can drop their gloves to try to fight someone and get no penalty?
Refs -- especially when you're talking about two fighters -- have a tendency to be a bit lenient there unless the guy goes too far.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
  #246
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
The guys over at Broadstreet hockey are having a poll for the best Flyers goal in the 2010 calender year. I'm actually having a tough time deciding, primarily between Briere's Game 1 goal against the Bruins, and The Shift by Richards. They both were very strong goals and represent the Flyers as a whole, but Briere's was more skillful while Richards' has importance in the game behind it.
I thought the Giroux goal was the nicest goal there, but voted for the Gagne goal, because of the significance.

Its pretty ridiculous the league overturned the Islanders request to delay the game.

Bryz4shiz is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 10:03 PM
  #247
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm just happy the Pens are losing to the Sens right now 3-0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Can someone explain to me how a person can drop their gloves to try to fight someone and get no penalty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Refs -- especially when you're talking about two fighters -- have a tendency to be a bit lenient there unless the guy goes too far.
Yeah, this happens all the time.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 10:57 PM
  #248
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
I thought the Giroux goal was the nicest goal there, but voted for the Gagne goal, because of the significance.

Its pretty ridiculous the league overturned the Islanders request to delay the game.
No, it wasn't.

For as long as I've been following the sport as hard as I am today, they generally don't postpone games unless the players, refs, or coaching staffs can't make it. As long as all of them are in town or at least can make it in time without serious risk involved, there's no reason to postpone a game. They're all the people that's needed to play a game after all. Postponing a game means a lot of work for the NHL and organizations involved so it's not something that happens without legitimate reasons why.

As far as the fans go, it doesn't really matter how many show up. The tickets are already paid for and whether or not the fans can get compensation for buying tickets to a game that weather forced them to miss is between the fans and the organization(s).

Garbage Goal is online now  
Old
12-27-2010, 04:00 AM
  #249
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Isles on a 3 game winning streak. Did not expect that to happen again this year. Pens losing is also always nice

chaosof99* is offline  
Old
12-27-2010, 04:38 AM
  #250
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Isles on a 3 game winning streak. Did not expect that to happen again this year. Pens losing is also always nice
Their tired of losing.

Alchemy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.