HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2011, 12:15 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
The Canucks have lost their last 3 after regulation... and 4 of their last 8, while still getting a point.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Nabokov didn't sign with us or any NHL team in the off-season because no one wanted to pay him what he wanted, he bolted to the KHL, was let go because of sub-par play (or at least sub-par stats), and now won't report to the Islanders after getting claimed by them. Guess that's the old Russian greed biting him in the ass?

Seriously though, why not report? The guy doesn't have a job and he has a free shot at over 500k and to have another chance at a job in the NHL. Even if it's the Islanders, it's a hell of a lot better then nothing and he can still sign in the off-season with another team.

Can't imagine anything besides pure greed or selfishness motivating him at the moment.

Old
01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he wants a playoff team id say

Old
01-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
He lost that right when he bolted for the KHL in the summer. Now he decides to come back, makes his bed in that decision -- now he must lay in his bed.

**** him.

He could have been on a playoff team in the summer but got greedy, now he eats his just deserts.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Nabokov and his agent blew it. Plain and simple. I don't know how as an agent you let that happen. In June, if you asked Nabokov what would be the absolute worst possible situation you could be in, I bet he would have told you "being with the Islanders on a cheap contract and no assurances past the season"

Old
01-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nabokov and his agent blew it. Plain and simple. I don't know how as an agent you let that happen. In June, if you asked Nabokov what would be the absolute worst possible situation you could be in, I bet he would have told you "being with the Islanders on a cheap contract and no assurances past the season"
Agents work for the players. Nabokov clearly had salary aspirations that were outside the bounds of what the NHL market would supply, and he went for the KHL offer instead. I doubt any of them expected his KHL experience to be the train wreck it turned into, and for him to appear in the middle of the NHL season when he signed that contract.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Agents work for the players. Nabokov clearly had salary aspirations that were outside the bounds of what the NHL market would supply, and he went for the KHL offer instead. I doubt any of them expected his KHL experience to be the train wreck it turned into, and for him to appear in the middle of the NHL season when he signed that contract.
People have only been getting cut from KHL teams since it's current inception. Part of working for the players is supposed to be protecting them from potentially bad decisions.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
People have only been getting cut from KHL teams since it's current inception. Part of working for the players is supposed to be protecting them from potentially bad decisions.
You are assuming that Meehan (a very experienced agent) didn't advise him about this stuff... Nabokov took the money to go play in the KHL and it didn't work out. I'm not sure how you can assume that he got poor advice from his agent in that process.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Someone threw their car keys on the ice after Ovechkin got his hat trick last night in Toronto.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-311131

Old
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
How the hell is this his agent's fault? The agent makes sure he gets paid, he doesn't make career decisions for the guy. Nabby decided he wanted to go to Russia and his agent made sure he got paid, it's not his agent's fault that Nabby changed his mind 6 months later.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
mirimon

I'm watching Sabres-Isles, there's some pretty poor defending going on in this game (I'm happy we didn't sign Shaonne Morrison last summer), but that's not what I meant to post, but rather: what is up with Buffalo and tiny forwards. Brière was there for some time of course, but now they have Derek Roy, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe and this new kid Paul Byron who together almost makes for a full grown man (Roy is injured of course, but still).

Gerbe is not much taller than 5 feet and this Byron kid can't weigh much over 160. Ennis is somewhere around there as well I believe.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
FlyHigh

Gerbe is such a *****, hate that guy.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I'm watching Sabres-Isles, there's some pretty poor defending going on in this game (I'm happy we didn't sign Shaonne Morrison last summer), but that's not what I meant to post, but rather: what is up with Buffalo and tiny forwards. Brière was there for some time of course, but now they have Derek Roy, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe and this new kid Paul Byron who together almost makes for a full grown man (Roy is injured of course, but still).

Gerbe is not much taller than 5 feet and this Byron kid can't weigh much over 160. Ennis is somewhere around there as well I believe.
Byron was actually Giroux's linemate in the QMJHL.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You are assuming that Meehan (a very experienced agent) didn't advise him about this stuff... Nabokov took the money to go play in the KHL and it didn't work out. I'm not sure how you can assume that he got poor advice from his agent in that process.
The player is accountable, I agree. Probably more than I make it out to be, but it's just interesting that more and more players are put in more bad positions while seeking the cash.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:46 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
He reminds me a bit of Brière, so I'm having a hard time hating him. I can see where he'd frustrate you if you were his opponent though, for sure.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
He reminds me a bit of Brière, so I'm having a hard time hating him. I can see where he'd frustrate you if you were his opponent though, for sure.
Nah it's not a frustration thing, even at BC, he was a little diver and a whiner, so of course it makes sense he's a Sabre where he continues to do the same thing.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Byron was actually Giroux's linemate in the QMJHL.
Damn, I was hoping to pull an MSE with that little tidbit.

Byron is a nice player, but he definitely benefitted from Roo in Gatineau. But the two of them were deadly together.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
decadentia

Apparently Florida and Ottawa are being "blown up", absolute rebuilds. Be interesting to see who moves where, I think Ottawa with the right movement could be back into contention next year.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Apparently Florida and Ottawa are being "blown up", absolute rebuilds. Be interesting to see who moves where, I think Ottawa with the right movement could be back into contention next year.
Ottawa has to have a management first. I don't see them returning to being a contender while Bryan Murray is still around.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:06 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Ottawa has to have a management first. I don't see them returning to being a contender while Bryan Murray is still around.
He's no longer going to be the GM, moving into a role similar to Steve Bowman at the end of the season. A lot of people said the same thing about us with Bobbie Clarke still being in the organization.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I agree. i cant stand that little *****. He dives, he shoots his mouth off then when push comes to shove he runs behind referees and his bigger teammates. He pulled that crap all the time in Portland. Hated him in college, hated him in the AHL and I still cant stand that *****.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-24-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Garbage Goal

I've gone 22-3-1 my last two matchups in fantasy. Would have been 22-2-2 if I had one more minor penalty my last matchup.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I've gone 22-3-1 my last two matchups in fantasy. Would have been 22-2-2 if I had one more minor penalty my last matchup.
I'm 18-2-whtaever the last two weeks.That puts me in second, which I'm fine with. I had the second to last draft pick, so I didn't have a good draft (aside from goaltending), so I've had to build via free agency. I can't complain.

Old
01-24-2011, 08:26 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
i'd hate to see spezza or alfredsson on playoff contending teams whose primary colors are not orange and black.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
i'd hate to see spezza or alfredsson on playoff contending teams whose primary colors are not orange and black.
Agree about Alfredsson.

Lol @ Spezza.

Closed Thread