HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sekera's next contract?

Old
12-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 500
Sekera's next contract?

RFA this summer, turns 25 in June..if he keeps up this play, will Darcy go long term? will Sekera just want a one year deal to get to UFA?

Personally, I would love to lock him up long term with the way he and Myers are playing together.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
OpethianSabre20

I've really liked the way his game has progressed. There have been a few brain-cramps here and there, but the good has outweighed the bad by a pretty decent margin IMO. Couple that with the OP's point about him and Myers having some good chemistry and I think there's plenty of reason to keep him around for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure who a good comparable would be, so I might be a bit off-base here, but I'd see if him and his camp would bite on 3 year deal in $4.5-5 million range.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I expect Regier to do something stupid, like sign him to a two year deal, to watch him develop into a bonafide #2... and then he'll be set to walk in 2 years.

I'd try to do what they did with Tallinder when he was around Sekera's age.

4 yrs / 2.25-2.75 per year

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Cuse44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I expect Regier to do something stupid, like sign him to a two year deal, to watch him develop into a bonafide #2... and then he'll be set to walk in 2 years.

I'm a big Sekera supporter but the above proposed contract is a bit rich for a guy who struggled up to this season. I'm thinking a 3 year contract at 1.5, 1.75, and 2.25 buying up 2 years of his UFA status. If he continues his solid level of play for the WHOLE season then maybe I would be for your proposed terms.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
joshjull

Quote:

4yrs is a good target for term. I have no idea if the money works but I like that as well.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
4yrs is a good target for term. I have no idea if the money works but I like that as well.
I second this. If he keeps up the play he's had this year and even progresses further a deal like the one Jame proposed could quickly become a bargain.

And the fact that he and Myers play well together is just a big bonus.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
I'm a big Sekera supporter but the above proposed contract is a bit rich for a guy who struggled up to this season. I'm thinking a 3 year contract at 1.5, 1.75, and 2.25 buying up 2 years of his UFA status. If he continues his solid level of play for the WHOLE season then maybe I would be for your proposed terms.
Is that any different then Tallinder? Up until he was paired with Lydman, and signed to the 4 yr extension in the offseason?

If you were Sekera would you sign a 3 year deal, well below market value for a top 4 defensemen (your numbers), when you are 1 year from UFA?

I could see Sekera looking at closer to 3 million per. He's arbitration eligible, and he could simply go to arbitration for a 1 yr deal at market value, and become an UFA after that.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
Not rich at all. The kid is getting 1st line minutes and it will be his THIRD contract. Considering the length, it's just about right.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Darcy SHOULD be extending his contract YESTERDAY, but he's an idiot, and he'll wait until the year ends so Sekera can get more money out of the deal. Then he'll let Andrej go and say he wasn't worth the money he was asking for.

And then the next year Andrej will be leading the NHL in +/- [/lydman] :cries:

I would do a 5 year extension, $14.2 million total. Spread it out so he makes more money towards the later years of the contract, like Roy's contract a few years ago. The cap hit averages out to $2.84 million a year. That's a reasonable cap hit for him now considering how good he is, and the fact that he could still be better could potentially make that cap hit a bargain.

So we lock him up for almost all of his prime years. Even if he doesn't pan out to the #2 defenseman we hope for, he'd still be a quality top 4 defender.

Last edited by Ron Barr: 12-13-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
3 yrs/$6.3m ($1.9, $2.1, $2.3). I think that's fair for all parties. Right now, Sekera isn't a first pairing defender. He's 4th in ES TOI, 5th in SH TOI and 3rd in PP TOI. His measurables (points, +/-, hits, blocks) aren't off the charts, so that'll work against him a little bit at the negotiating table. This deal, though, would represent a raise of over 100% even if it does buy two UFA years. From the player's and management's perspective, that deal makes a ton of sense.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:

If you were Sekera would you sign a 3 year deal, well below market value for a top 4 defensemen (your numbers), when you are 1 year from UFA?

I could see Sekera looking at closer to 3 million per. He's arbitration eligible, and he could simply go to arbitration for a 1 yr deal at market value, and become an UFA after that.
I agree. I think that this is wishful thinking. If we want to keep Sekera around long term, we need to be closer to market value. I think around the 2 mil/year range is too low.

It's either "we don't trust him:" 1 yr/2.25 million
or "you're part of the NEW core:" 4yrs/12.5 million (3, 3, 3.25, 3.25)

Just my gut feeling.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
But he's not one year away from UFA....

Edit - the rule is 27 years of age or 7 years of service. He won't be 25 until June and is only in his fifth year of pro service. They have him for two years. I could see his camp wanting a three-year deal in the mid-two million dollar range because at the end, he's UFA.

12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
3 yrs/$6.3m ($1.9, $2.1, $2.3). I think that's fair for all parties. Right now, Sekera isn't a first pairing defender. He's 4th in ES TOI, 5th in SH TOI and 3rd in PP TOI. His measurables (points, +/-, hits, blocks) aren't off the charts, so that'll work against him a little bit at the negotiating table. This deal, though, would represent a raise of over 100% even if it does buy two UFA years. From the player's and management's perspective, that deal makes a ton of sense.
Ah so he's not getting #2 minutes exactly. You have to factor in that he didn't start the year with Myers, so his year-to-date numbers as far as TOI will be slightly skewed in terms of what he gets now each game.

But factoring that in, it looks like total TOI goes: Myers, Leopold, Sekera, Montador.

Those 4 are obviously getting ridden very very hard.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I want to sign him long term. 4 or 5 years. LOVE the way he's playing!

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Luceni

4-6 years, 2.0 - 2.5 mio per year and I'm a happy camper

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
4-6 years, 2.0 - 2.5 mio per year and I'm a happy camper
I think if he keeps playing like this, it will take a weeee bit more to make him sign long term.

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I've really liked the way his game has progressed. There have been a few brain-cramps here and there, but the good has outweighed the bad by a pretty decent margin IMO. Couple that with the OP's point about him and Myers having some good chemistry and I think there's plenty of reason to keep him around for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure who a good comparable would be, so I might be a bit off-base here, but I'd see if him and his camp would bite on 3 year deal in $4.5-5 million range.
4 to 4.5 mil?

I don't think so. I think 2.25 to 2.75 for 3 seasons and he's ours.
Myers is going to command big money when the time comes, paying Sekera 4 to 4.5 mil would insure the Sabres couldn't deal with Myers or the offer sheets he is going to receive.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Darcy SHOULD be extending his contract YESTERDAY, but he's an idiot, and he'll wait until the year ends so Sekera can get more money out of the deal. Then he'll let Andrej go and say he wasn't worth the money he was asking for.

And then the next year Andrej will be leading the NHL in +/- [/lydman] :cries:
Disagree with the first claim. No way should he get an extension until he proves he can do this over the whole season.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
4 to 4.5 mil?

Myers is going to command big money when the time comes, paying Sekera 4 to 4.5 mil would insure the Sabres couldn't deal with Myers or the offer sheets he is going to receive.
I think you misread my post. The $4.5-5 million I was referring to was for the entire contract, not per year. I don't think an annual cap hit of $1.5-$1.67 for the length of his deal would hurt Buffalo's ability to keep Myers.

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 12-13-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I think you miss read my post. The $4.5-5 million I was referring to was for the entire contract, not per year. I don't think an annual cap hit of $1.5-$1.67 of the length of his deal would hurt Buffalo's ability to keep Myers.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, and I like your numbers even more than mine, but I also think Regier will overpay as he always does.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Depends how Regier wants to play it.

He could be proactive and hope to get a solid young guy locked up under market value (risking slight overpayment if Sekera struggles) - do a Ken Holland if you like, or be passive (YAY!) and then either re-sign him at an inflated price or let him go and sign a Shaone Morrisonn for 2.0 mill.

IMO, wait a bit more, then go for a 4 y/ 8-9 mil. total contract (2m-2.25m annually).
If Sekera keeps improving, or even keeps his current play up, it'll be a bargain (and I believe right now he and his agent would go for that deal... come summer, if he keeps playing like this, those numbers could easily go to ca. 3 mil.).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:26 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
4 to 4.5 mil?

I highly doubt Myers will be unsigned by the time he could recieve offer sheets.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I highly doubt Myers will be unsigned by the time he could recieve offer sheets.
I said something similiar about Drury and Briere and their respective contract situations prior to the start of the 06-07 season.

Never under estimate the complete incompetence of Darcy Regier and this management team.

Old
12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
I said something similiar about Drury and Briere and their respective contract situations prior to the start of the 06-07 season.

Never under estimate the complete incompetence of Darcy Regier and this management team.
Thomas Vanek

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:19 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Thomas Vanek
Regeir also learned from those mistakes and resigned Roy, Miller, and Pominville a year before before their contracts expired if I remember correctly. I don't see Myers not being resigned early.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote