HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Nabokov's KHL Contract Terminated

Old
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

vCash: 500
Good god. Enough of the romanticized view of Nabby people.

No, NO , AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why was Toskala so good behind the Sharks when they had a defense?

Why is Nabby so Nabtacular in Russia? How would Nabby look behind this year's defense?

Why has Nabby failed us so many times in the playoffs?

Ask yourselves these questions people. The answers lead to the fact that he was AVERAGE.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:28 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

To steal a quote from 500 Days of Summer:

"Look, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Now, I think you're just remembering the good stuff. Next time you look back, I, uh, I really think you should look again."

People are hung up on the circus saves but seem to forget the gaping 5-hole and softies let in at the most inopportune times.

Old
12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Good god. Enough of the romanticized view of Nabby people.

No, NO , AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why was Toskala so good behind the Sharks when they had a defense?

Why is Nabby so Nabtacular in Russia? How would Nabby look behind this year's defense?

Why has Nabby failed us so many times in the playoffs?

Ask yourselves these questions people. The answers lead to the fact that he was AVERAGE.
Nabby sucked in Russia because of either his family problems, or because of the larger ice.
Nabby is not average. He was never behind a great defense in San Jose. The best all-around team in recent years (offense and defense) would probably be the 08-09 team. While Nabby wasn't that great in the playoffs, their first round exit wasn't completely his fault. When you get shut-out by Hiller twice, offense is the problem, not goaltending. While he never stole a series, he was never the only reason why they lost.
To say Nabby is average is just wrong. Comparing him to Toskala is a joke.The fact that he was able to play 70+ games at a good level should be evidence enough that he is not just "average."

Last edited by WTFetus: 12-13-2010 at 12:36 PM.
WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:34 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
He's never going to be a Shark again, and I don't have any delusions that he will be. But....

Nabby >>>>>>>>>> Nitty + Niemi

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Nabby sucked in Russia because of either his family problems, or because of the larger ice.
Nabby is not average. He was never behind a great defense in San Jose. The best all-around team in recent years (offense and defense) would probably be the 08-09 team. While Nabby wasn't that great in the playoffs, their first round exit wasn't completely his fault. When you get shut-out by Hiller twice, offense is the problem, not goaltending.
To say Nabby is average is just wrong. Comparing him to Toskala is a joke.
Nabby has played internationally on several occasions. To blame his substandard play on the larger ice sounds like apologist speak to me. It isn't like he switched to playing basketball when he signed in Russia.

Family problems and distractions could be a real legitimate reason.. but seriously? This is the rock we want in net in the playoffs? His wife yells at him and he can't concentrate on stopping the puck... the reason he is paid the big pucks... you know.. stopping pucks?

Yeah sorry, pass again. We have enough mentally fragile personalities on the team.

Old
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Nabby has played internationally on several occasions. To blame his substandard play on the larger ice sounds like apologist speak to me. It isn't like he switched to playing basketball when he signed in Russia.

Family problems and distractions could be a real legitimate reason.. but seriously? This is the rock we want in net in the playoffs? His wife yells at him and he can't concentrate on stopping the puck... the reason he is paid the big pucks... you know.. stopping pucks?

Yeah sorry, pass again. We have enough mentally fragile personalities on the team.
I never said I wanted Nabby back. All I'm saying is you're cutting him way too short. He is in no way an "average" goalie. Anyone who thinks he is haven't watched him enough to make any credible statements.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Watch LA is going to nab him and in some sort of vodka fueled revenge rage he'll shut us out every game we play against them.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Watch LA is going to nab him and in some sort of vodka fueled revenge rage he'll shut us out every game we play against them.
Couture will score a hat trick every game going 5-hole

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Well, maybe number of games watched isn't the best parameter as I have watched at least 80% of the games over the past 10 years. I guess I am just incompetent at deciphering what my eyes tell me. Sorry for the lack of credibility.

Nabby playing so many games each year is a testament to his durability (and selfishness?) which was incredible. To say he started so many games is not the same as saying he was elite.

I would disagree about not having great defenses in the past.

I thought we had finally cut the umbilical cord as regards Nabby. I suppose not.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
coooldude

My take merges a lot of these conflicting takes above.

1. Nabby was far from an "average" goalie - he started on a winning team for 10 years and certainly won us some games we should have lost. This is supported by the stats he put up and the hardware he won, both of which were not average over that period of time.

2. Nabby was not as good as Brodeur or many others, but was consistently at-or-near top-5 status.

3. Nabby did have some recurring problems, like MOST goalies in the NHL. Nabby's was a weak 5-hole (stylistic) compounded by mental lapses early in games, mostly during the regular season. Note: this problem plagues lots of goalies.

4. Nabby's play in Russia probably suffered because of a number of factors. A) new system, first and foremost. B) New team. C) Age; he really is slipping these days, despite his previous success. D) Family concerns. I would not be surprised AT ALL if his wife/kid were very unhappy over there.

Let's just hope he returns as a goalie coach or something, and that his life is happy and that he can provide for his family. I wish him only the best.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
All joking aside, that could be a reality. Not just LA, but anywhere in the Western Conference. When it's a log-jam in the points race, a regular season performer like Nabby could be the difference between hockey and golf.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:13 PM
SJeasy

Going beyond the stats. Nabby could probably read the play better than any other NHL goalie with the possible exception of Brodeur. It made him very, very good on angles. He had a quirky push which had him giving up short side and five hole more than some. He was definitely top ten but not top five in handling the puck and he was active in directing the defense. In his last year with the Sharks, I would have had him around #8 to #10 in the league.

I would give him a series steal against Colorado in 03-04. Hands down. Otherwise, he was a somewhat average playoff goalie. IMO, he overplayed himself or was overplayed during the season and did not have the stamina to take on a Brodeur-like load. Very few goalies do. Very, very few, yet teams always think they have the next Brodeur and get pounded because they don't and Brodeur only did it in his younger years. Many, many teams are going all the way because of quirks during the season (subpar play, injuries) that lighten the load on their #1 guy.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
drop Neimi and Nitty and use the money to get Nabby back

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
KzooShark

If you can get him for a million or whatever, you do it. I'm going to cry if he ends up kicking our ass from some other team in the West.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

3+ GAA and a .888 SA% is nothing great. Looks like Niemi's stats.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I miss nabby ;[, don't really see how he fits with this team baring injuries.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not a CBA expert, but I'm not sure why he has to clear waivers. He was a UFA. Perhaps some side agreement with the Russian League?

That said, I don't want him back this year. Thats a total distraction and wouldn't say much to UFA's who want to sign here ... ie ... sign and trade Niemi. And next year we should have plenty of young options from the Farm System to look at, in addition to Nitty.

I believe Nabby peaked and was starting to become less and less athletic. His strength is superior positioning and rebound control but that's not as important in this "collapse-to-the-paint" defense thats now played, as is reaction time.

If defenders could still clear his paint, he could be at the top of the League for several more years. If he played less games and was more fresh to get his older limbs to react better, then he might have a couple good years in him still. If he played on a team with a strong defense he could still be a workhorse.

Nabby in Teal is not in the cards ever again.

12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
3+ GAA and a .888 SA% is nothing great. Looks like Niemi's stats.
Not trying to defend Nabby, just looking at what likely happened. A guy was looking at tapes and it looks like SKA's defense hung him out more than the backup on more than a few occasions. Keep in mind that he was used to directing his defense with the Sharks and did get a lot of shotblocking. I don't think he integrated well with his team and family issues may have made that just that much more difficult. He was really hard on dmen while with the Sharks and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued in Russia. I don't think he fell off the deep end in terms of ability although the stats look like it. It's even worse if you look at the stats of others in that league.

The reasons for Niemi's stats are a whole other issue.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I'm not a CBA expert, but I'm not sure why he has to clear waivers. He was a UFA. Perhaps some side agreement with the Russian League?
signing UFAs from Europe after a certain point in the season requires the player to pass through waivers. It has nothing to do with the KHL any more than any other league in Europe.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Thing about Nabby is that he has not lost a step... he had a career year at 34, starting in 71 games.

I just keep imagining him in a Colorado, Dallas, LA, or Phoenix jersey and it makes me wanna vomit.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
signing UFAs from Europe after a certain point in the season requires the player to pass through waivers. It has nothing to do with the KHL any more than any other league in Europe.
in that case, who presently has priority in the waiver market?

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Do not want

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Not exactly. If a player participates in a game in any European (or Asian -- see Claude Lemieux) league after the start of the NHL season, they'll have to clear waivers to play in NHL.

(Now there's a minor wrinkle if a player is loaned to an European team. They can return without having to go through waivers once their European season is over.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Nabby, Neimi works for me.
He was the best goaltender SJ ever had. Average? No way. 50 Shutouts!

Nabby plays everybody except Chicago and Detroit, Neimi in the playoffs...?

Last edited by AstroDan: 12-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.
AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
krudmonk

I was never a Nabby-hater but I am very surprised to see so many here buying into the idea that his crappy stats are wholly do to with his family being homesick.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote