HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backyard Rink 2010

Old
12-13-2010, 01:56 PM
AngryBoss

vCash: 500
Backyard Rink 2010

Man am I glad I got my plastic in this weekend! We got hit with a tonne of snow on Sunday. It wouldn't have been easy to get it down after that.

I have the same size this year as last - 21x48.
My yard slopes pretty badly so I have to prop up the West (long side) boards a good 8-10" off the ground. And they're 12" boards too.
Last year I got the frame in and then filled up the rink. But we got a warm spell and all the stakes began to sag from the weight of the water. What transpired wasn't pretty.
One of the corners came loose. The two boards completely came apart. If it wasn't for a solid concrete flower pot to hold up the boards, I would have been boned.

So this year, I made sure to screw bolts into all the corner boards, as well as place 3' stakes along the backside - as well as placing a stake every 2 feet.

I also waited for the ground to freeze good and solid before filling up.
So right now, it's rock solid. I hope it stays that way.

Here's a few pics from last years rink. It's the same this year.
But I have a feeling I'll have to somehow go bigger for next Winter. My youngest (4-years-old) is flying now so I don't know how long this little rink can contain both of them.

My parents have a beautiful spot on their property. It's a 100x40 area for their weeping-bed. And it's completely protected by large cedar's.
That may be the way to go after this year.

Anyone else have their's up yet? Got any stories/pictures to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pondhockey2.JPG‎ (62.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Pondhockey1.JPG‎ (56.7 KB, 249 views)

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
rinkrat22

yup our's is up (36x56) and we have been skating for about a week and a half. Sat was bad it rained all day but it didn't hurt the rink too much. so far so good.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Blueland89

Man that's awesome I wish we got snow like that in the south

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Ryan52

havent had one up since i was 12
really want to try it again this year though

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
yup our's is up (36x56) and we have been skating for about a week and a half. Sat was bad it rained all day but it didn't hurt the rink too much. so far so good.
I'm really ticked that I didn't get it filled in two weekends ago.
A friend of mine did and he was skating all week. So was our neighbor.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll continue to get cold weather so we're skating all Christmas break.

Cheers!

Old
12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Angry Boss... Any other ideas to solve your grading issue? I have to do the same thing for my backyard rink, but it gets darn cold here and stays cold until winter is over.

I haven't been able to come up with any other ideas, other than building a sub structure on the lowest part of the grade, but its just too much money and time to deal with.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Gags89

I have a yard that is sloped as well. I have to build up about 8 inches or so on one end to make it level. Could I pack snow and freeze it to build it up and then lay the plastic and start flooding?

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:23 AM
rinkrat22

i think you could but if you get any kind of a thaw it's gonna fail. I have about a 7 inch slope from 1 end to the other. On one end I just used 2' lengths of plywood and on the other they are 1'. the ice is about 4 inches on the shallow side and right about 12' on the deep end. I think over the summer I will get some black dirt and try and level it out. but right now the "deep end" is fine. now if you have more slope than that I'm not sure.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:28 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Angry Boss... Any other ideas to solve your grading issue? I have to do the same thing for my backyard rink, but it gets darn cold here and stays cold until winter is over.

I haven't been able to come up with any other ideas, other than building a sub structure on the lowest part of the grade, but its just too much money and time to deal with.
The problem with the sub-structure system (in my location at least) is that the air beneath the structure will be warmer and could lead to softer ice at that end. However, if you're in a cold area where it's well below 0c for most of the Winter I don't think that would be an issue.

A friend of mine has a terribly sloped yard so he eventually bought pieces of plywood for one end and used lots of stakes to support the frame. Not only is the plywood great for making a high structure, but it's also cheaper.
But because it's thin, you really need a lot of support on that end, hence the multitude of stakes to keep it strong. But that could work out for you.

It's been so cold in our area (Southwest Ontario - near Windsor) that my ice froze in one day. It's been -12 the last two days and this morning I was able to walk on the ice.
My 4-year-old is going nuts and begging to go skating tonight. All that hard work makes it worth while when you see your kids enjoy the rink.

I wish everyone here success in building a rink and I hope it's a long, cold winter to support it.

Old
12-14-2010, 09:41 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Its been -30 and below for the past few days. I lay my ice in stages, and still have one more final flood before we use it. Fat chance if you can see me spraying water in the open prairie at -30c.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:50 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
Man that's awesome I wish we got snow like that in the south
No you really don't. I'd trade 70F in the "winter" and using indoor rinks for 15F and being able to put one in my backyard anyday.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
No you really don't. I'd trade 70F in the "winter" and using indoor rinks for 15F and being able to put one in my backyard anyday.
well it's been in the 20 lately it was 12 degrees lastnight witht he windchill but it warms up to about 50's when the sun is out. the closest indoor rink is a hour away so yeah I wish I could just walk out the back door

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:18 AM
IDuck

as far as ice goes...i think your is the best ive seen, i may be the pic. but that ice looks like a NHL rink...VERY strong work man

edit: that was directed at you angryboss, forgot you hit the quote button

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
EShack

Wow, your rink looks a hundred times better than mine. I'm still not done layering the ice, though... it's getting into the upper 20's here during the day, so my ice isn't freezing very fast. I put one big layer in to start (4-5 inches deep on one end, 2-3 inches deep on the other... not the most level surface) and then I put another layer on last night. Once that freezes, I think one more layer ought to do it. I'm 240 lbs and I can walk around and jump on it and the ice doesn't crack... I know that's not the same as a skate blade but it gives me confidence.

I'm getting very antsy waiting for the ice to be ready. I know I shouldn't skate on it yet, but damn do I want to.

EShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:41 PM
russmatuss

How low does the temperature have to be for a rink to realistically work? The UK is having a major cold spell at the moment (-13 celcius at the moment) and I was contemplating whether to attempt a little patch of ice to mess about on (only little, no point wasting time on something that I could only use for a few days). Not sure how long that kind of temperature will last though...

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Gags89

I would say temps generally below -10C when making the ice.

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 07:49 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EShack View Post
Wow, your rink looks a hundred times better than mine. I'm still not done layering the ice, though... it's getting into the upper 20's here during the day, so my ice isn't freezing very fast. I put one big layer in to start (4-5 inches deep on one end, 2-3 inches deep on the other... not the most level surface) and then I put another layer on last night. Once that freezes, I think one more layer ought to do it. I'm 240 lbs and I can walk around and jump on it and the ice doesn't crack... I know that's not the same as a skate blade but it gives me confidence.

I'm getting very antsy waiting for the ice to be ready. I know I shouldn't skate on it yet, but damn do I want to.
What are you talking about? Your ice looks great!
And I imagine if you can jump on the ice without hearing cracks, it's good to go.
As soon as I can stand on mine without hearing anything, I'm skating on it.

The temperatures in my area aren't very good for layering.
I know that's better to make strong ice, but I don't have the patience. I just fill it up and pray.

I know guys that live in Alberta and Manitoba where they use the layering method and it's sweet. But it's so cold out there, they can lay down a thin layer and it'll be frozen in 1-2 hours. They can build up an entire rink in one afternoon because of the low temperatures. It's probably the only time I wish I lived in a location where -20c is the norm from November to March.

Old
12-22-2010, 07:51 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatuss View Post
How low does the temperature have to be for a rink to realistically work? The UK is having a major cold spell at the moment (-13 celcius at the moment) and I was contemplating whether to attempt a little patch of ice to mess about on (only little, no point wasting time on something that I could only use for a few days). Not sure how long that kind of temperature will last though...
When my ice froze, we were getting temperatures the same. The ice was ROCK SOLID after 48 hours of -12c days.

Once the ice is hard, you can skate on it for days as long as the temperature remains around 0 or less. If you get more than one day of +2 or higher, then you're in trouble. Especially if a lot of sun hits the rink.

If there's one tip I can give that will help it's to remove all leaves or dark objects from the water. The sun will bake that object and you'll get holes.
It's why I can't spray paint red or blue lines on my ice. If I was guaranteed -10 weather for the whole winter it'd be fine. But as soon as you hover around the 0c temp, any dark objects will murder your setup.

Old
12-27-2010, 10:35 PM
SidneyClutchby*

I'm starting to build my first backyard rink. I'm looking at building a 35' x 80' one here in Edmonton. I want to construct a frame using 1"x4" lumber which I will stake into the ground. Then I'm thinking of getting some 20'x100' 1.1 mil poly sheeting for the liner. I'm planning on getting two roles of poly, then cutting two 20'x85' strips and duct taping them together. I live on an acreage and haul my own water using a 300L tank, so I'd fill the rink by hauling multiple loads of water. The ground I'm planning on using is fairly level.

What do you guys think, is 1.1 mil thick enough for the liner? Will the duct tape seal hold? How many loads of water am I looking at hauling to create a usable ice surface? I tried estimating the volume of water needed given the dimensions of the frame, but water expands as it freezes, so I'm not so sure. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by SidneyClutchby*: 12-27-2010 at 10:43 PM.
SidneyClutchby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
tomsteve

1.1 mil is pretty thin and i would think a frozen blade of grass would puncture the poly. i was able to 6 mil-20' by 100' poly at the local building supply. i cut the poly at 50' and used an acoustic sealant, along with high grade duct tape on both sides of the seam.
where i ran into problems was sealing the 2 pieces of poly together. i wanted to do it inside and found out that inside my house want really enough room. nexty year, i'm gonna see if the local middle school will let me use the gym for a few hours to get it all done good.
i am going to experiment this summer with different adhesives for sealing the poly together. it needs to me flexible, and i'm going to experiment with spray adhesive, contact cement, and hot glue, for starters.

tomsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
as long as the temp stays below 0 degrees you will be fine and use diluted white latext paint

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
blwalt17

This is awesome. I wish I could do that where I live.

blwalt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:43 AM
SidneyClutchby*

I have a different idea for my rink. We have a lot of snow here in Edmonton, so I shoveled all the snow where I want my rink to be into snow banks that are about 2 feet high. It is about 25 by 70 or so feet. I plan to take the hose out at night on a mist setting and spray the snow banks. I will do that several times to make them rock solid, and my hope is that water will collect within them. Then I will mist the ground (possibly with a light layer of powdery snow) to create a nice, hard slushy base. From there I will just keep adding layers every night until I have a nice rink. I am thinking about building the ice up with either a sprinkler in different locations or by just misting with the hose. Do you think this idea will work.

SidneyClutchby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:38 AM
tomsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneyClutchby View Post
I have a different idea for my rink. We have a lot of snow here in Edmonton, so I shoveled all the snow where I want my rink to be into snow banks that are about 2 feet high. It is about 25 by 70 or so feet. I plan to take the hose out at night on a mist setting and spray the snow banks. I will do that several times to make them rock solid, and my hope is that water will collect within them. Then I will mist the ground (possibly with a light layer of powdery snow) to create a nice, hard slushy base. From there I will just keep adding layers every night until I have a nice rink. I am thinking about building the ice up with either a sprinkler in different locations or by just misting with the hose. Do you think this idea will work.
i am thinkin back to when i was a kid and made the rink in our backyard. did it the same way. we( me and some friends) misted the snow banks and took a shovel to pack and form the "snowboards." while were were doing that, water was also being sprayed on the grass. we used a hose end nozzle to so the ice would build up and it worked out great.
i am thinkin that, when you get close to the ice thickness you want, painting the ice white will help keep the rink longer.
also, night time is the best time to make ice.

Last edited by tomsteve: 01-03-2011 at 04:32 AM.
tomsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneyClutchby View Post
My brother lives in Winnipeg and that's what he does.
The only thing he might have done differently was keep some snow on the ground as well.
Basically, he took a piece of plywood and stomped down the snow to form a rink. Then he misted it over to freeze it up. After that, he filled it with water.
He was able to do this in a matter of one afternoon. That's the only advantage to living in a -40 environment, hahaha.