HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can our lineup look like next year

Old
12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
How the **** is Papsmear still here. The guy is terrible. It is so ****ing frustrating watching this ****ing ****show. He is brutal.
One-way contract + cheapo Wang.

Best thing we could hope for is to pick up some salary dumps.

But we all know that likely wont be happening as Wang wont spend any money and Snow wont give up anything in a trade.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
The lineup is going to look like that ugly chick you accidently hooked up with while drunk away at college..... absolutely brutal.
Yeah, but minus the blow job.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:35 PM
BaileyToOkposo

i think petrov will make the team next year along with el nino.

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

A top three pick next summer

Anyone else thinking it could be traded?

Who's heading for bigger money, but won't likely get it from his team?

I'm thinking there must be some talented kids on teams like LA, Colorado, St. Louis, etc. who are looking to break the bank and may no longer fit in his team's pay bracket.

In any case, I can see a good PLAYER X heading towards $4 millionville and his team's 1st rounder coming in exchange for the 1st overall.

An example:
TJ Oshie, St. Louis' 1st rounder and a tweener prospect like Stefan Della Rovere.

Of course, Snow 'n co. would have to be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY be certain that Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier or Larsson isn't the next great thing... I personally think Larsson must be taken if avaialable. Can't comment on the others though.

Other guys who are good, but earning too much:
As far as players who could certainly help on the offensive front, but who have slightly overvalued salaries and thus, could be trading pieces at fairly little cost for salary-strapped teams, I think Snow should be looking at several players the likes of Martin Erat - if INDEED he's not got financial restraints from Wang, as he recently claimed in that interview.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
i think petrov will make the team next year along with el nino.
Well Petrov will still be in Russia next year, cause he is still signed.
Expect him here for 2012-2013 season.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:43 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
O, damn. Idk y I thought he almost made the team this year

Old
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
O, damn. Idk y I thought he almost made the team this year

Old
12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Anyone else thinking it could be traded?

Who's heading for bigger money, but won't likely get it from his team?

I'm thinking there must be some talented kids on teams like LA, Colorado, St. Louis, etc. who are looking to break the bank and may no longer fit in his team's pay bracket.

In any case, I can see a good PLAYER X heading towards $4 millionville and his team's 1st rounder coming in exchange for the 1st overall.

An example:
TJ Oshie, St. Louis' 1st rounder and a tweener prospect like Stefan Della Rovere.

Of course, Snow 'n co. would have to be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY be certain that Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier or Larsson isn't the next great thing... I personally think Larsson must be taken if avaialable. Can't comment on the others though.

Other guys who are good, but earning too much:
As far as players who could certainly help on the offensive front, but who have slightly overvalued salaries and thus, could be trading pieces at fairly little cost for salary-strapped teams, I think Snow should be looking at several players the likes of Martin Erat - if INDEED he's not got financial restraints from Wang, as he recently claimed in that interview.

I've only seen Couturier and Larsson play a hand full of times, but I think we take Larsson if we have the first pick. I know its early but from what I read its really becoming a two horse race between Couturier and Larsson with RNH falling back.

WJC should be fun to watch. I can't really see the Isles moving a number 1 pick unless we are blown out of the water. Either way adding one of those two would be another great piece.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
OlTimeHockey

No matter who we pick, it'll be the wrong one a year from now, just like Tavares. It's just a reaction caused by the need to believe it's the players' fault and not the organization's.

That said, we'd be wise to go after Larsson. A solid organization will enjoy a phenominal young defenseman anchor their blueline. Hope it's us. We can still hire a coach, right?

We were humiliated with bad hires before Wang finally came around to the Nolan/Snith hire. That ended badly. Maybe if he pulls another 1/2 punch this time, he'll have learned from his mistake in firing Smith and replacing him with Dunham? I mean Snow?

If that happens, I count on Larsson, Tavares, Bailey, Okposo and several others seeing a robust improvement in the game we deploy and the veteran presence will be brought in to help them all along.

And then I woke up, and JR was not really shot....it was just a dream, and we still suck.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:17 PM
bringbackziggy

I hope the team could look something like this:

Draft: Couturier/Larsson/Nugent-Hopkins - I'm hoping for Nugent-Hopkins because he brings an element of speed that none of our forward prospects have, he can also play wing and would be a great fit on Tavares' wing. If we take a forward I would give him another year to develop in juniors, if we take Larsson i might bring him right over depending on whether we sign a FA or if deHaan makes the team.

Laich/Leino - Tavares - Okposo
Moulson - Bailey - Niederreiter
Upshall/Brunette - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Konopka - Chris Clark/Comeau

Striet - Hamonic
Ehrhoff - MacDonald
Mottau - Eaton

DiPietro
UFA Backup

Not a huge improvement over this years team but some much needed veteran leadership and skill is added. Probably still not a playoff team but should be much improved over this year. Also, I didn't add any big name free agents because we most likely aren't going to land any, I tried to only add guys I felt we could make a realistic attempt at signing.

Last edited by bringbackziggy: 12-15-2010 at 11:25 PM.
bringbackziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:24 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Couturier plays a real good two-way game... known as much for his defense and physical presence as he is for his scoring (which he does alot of).. and Couturier is versatile, as he is playing wing for Canadian World junior team... Would be a good fit with Tavares..

Tavares-Couturier-proven 30 goal veteran
Niederreiter-Bailey-Okposo
Moulsen-Neilsen-Grabner
4th line will be adjusted as rookies/veteran signings take shape.

If Moulsen doesn't resign, a similar 20-30 goal scoring veteran needed.

If Neiderreiter isn't ready, we sign a veteran 20-30 goal guy for a year.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

or if you dont want to put Couturier on top line in his rookie year:

proven 30 goal free agent-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Couturier-Moulsen
Neiderreiter-Neilsen-Grabner

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No matter who we pick, it'll be the wrong one a year from now, just like Tavares. It's just a reaction caused by the need to believe it's the players' fault and not the organization's.
You're implying that people are incapable of watching a player and objectively forming an opinion on his play based on what he does/doesn't do on the ice while taking all factors into account.

Criticism doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. People can validly criticize the organization and a player at the same time and not have it be "reactive".

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:19 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
You're implying that people are incapable of watching a player and objectively forming an opinion on his play based on what he does/doesn't do on the ice while taking all factors into account.

Criticism doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. People can validly criticize the organization and a player at the same time and not have it be "reactive".
objectively: tavares has been terrible for the most part, he's been good in spurts, he hasn't been great. We can defend him to death, doesn't change the facts.

I didn't expect any different because I believe the circumstances are overwhelmingly against him and Bailey - with their confidence fading away rapidly.

But your ciriticism is fair and well deserved, to a point.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet though. He's got way too much hockey sense. Give him time.

Once he's off-the-island, you'll see a player.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:45 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

No, just making a statement: the mob turns on the players and anyone else when the misery goes up. Lots of individuals are quite true to their critique, unchanging over time....like some guys have been with Rick and Wang, I hear.

Old
12-16-2010, 06:00 AM
LaF16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
sucks - sucks - sucks
sucks - sucks - sucks
sucks - sucks - sucks
sucks - sucks - sucks

sucks - sucks
sucks - sucks
sucks - sucks

sucks
sucks
seems about right. geez.

LaF16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Watched some video of larsson & he is an absolutely phenomenal skater. The team needs more offense for sure and if the glorious owner & stellar gm won't spend/sign quality ufa, they'll need to draft one of Nugent-hopkins or couturier. And that isn't a poor decision. But man, larsson with hamonic, amac, chd and possibly kessel + donovan could be an awesome top 6.
Donovan has been playing real well in college this year. I've been able to catch a few games on tv and the computer and he's another real nice skater and he makes really nice first passes to start breakouts.
Anyway, next yrs team cannot look much like this years, otherwise its a complete fail and there will literally be 500 people at opening night. Can only bend the fans will for so long before it breaks. Its wrong and for snow & wang to treat us diehards like this is an awful thing. At least ACT like you care.

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Watched some video of larsson & he is an absolutely phenomenal skater. The team needs more offense for sure and if the glorious owner & stellar gm won't spend/sign quality ufa, they'll need to draft one of Nugent-hopkins or couturier. And that isn't a poor decision. But man, larsson with hamonic, amac, chd and possibly kessel + donovan could be an awesome top 6.
Donovan has been playing real well in college this year. I've been able to catch a few games on tv and the computer and he's another real nice skater and he makes really nice first passes to start breakouts.
Anyway, next yrs team cannot look much like this years, otherwise its a complete fail and there will literally be 500 people at opening night. Can only bend the fans will for so long before it breaks. Its wrong and for snow & wang to treat us diehards like this is an awful thing. At least ACT like you care.
This, seeing Larsson in an Isles jersey along with the other young D-men in front of Poulin I feel is what's necessary for the long term success of this team. It all starts from the net out and I feel that being able to shut teams down with a D corp like that is an invaluable asset.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Start from the blue-line out... Giving an outsiders take on your situation because i'm bored and it will be interesting.

Draft Larsson, sign a forward to help Tavares, don't draft another forward.

De Haan, Larsson, Streit, Eaton, MacDonald, Hamonic.. That's a strong top 6. If Larsson doesn't come over then you sign a top 4 guy shrot-term.

with adding in Nino and maybe another kid, the offense will get stronger.

Adding some Vets would help. I'd look at Tanguay (could be cheap and your kid's need someone with cup experience), Chris Clark (cheap, bottom line guy), John Madden, Steve Begin, Jason Arnott, Nik Zherdev.. just some names.

I'd try to go after a few...

Neiderreiter - Tavares - Okposo
Zherdev- Bailey - Comeau
Nielsen - Arnott - Grabner

that wouldn't be a bad top 9, provides a player with cup experience, vet presence and size. Zherdev will be looking for a pay day, somewhere he can play a lot more and he's got sick potential to rebound and become a 60 point guy. If you can sign more vets for the 4th pairing then it makes you more competitive.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
or if you dont want to put Couturier on top line in his rookie year:

proven 30 goal free agent-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Couturier-Moulsen
Neiderreiter-Neilsen-Grabner
The only UFA's available that fit what the Islanders need are Jussi Jokinen, Ville Leino, Justin Williams, Brooke Laich, and Tomas Fleischmann. I would put the chances the Isles could sign any of them at pretty close to zero.

That leaves guys like Cole, Langenbrunner, Ryder, Kovalev, Brunette, etc. That is, guys who were never that good (Cole, Ryder, Brunette), or guys that have slowed down (Langenbrunner, Kovalev). That might not be so bad at the right price. What the Isles have to avoid, like the plague, are the Steve Sullivan, Cory Stillman, Sergei Samsonov types - little guys who have slowed down and looking for a paycheck - Doug Weight redux.

They might get lucky with a Max Talbot type - a role player who knows how to win. I'm not holding my breath, however.

If I know this team, I can see Cole and Langenbrunner becoming Isles, and each combining for a full season of injuries.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Luceni

If the isles draft larsson, put him on the second line with grabner an add another fast player. Could be a high-speed line.....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
The only UFA's available that fit what the Islanders need are Jussi Jokinen, Ville Leino, Justin Williams, Brooke Laich, and Tomas Fleischmann. I would put the chances the Isles could sign any of them at pretty close to zero.
I think the Isles could have a chance with someone like Williams or Fleischmann.

Williams is enjoying his first healthy season since 2006-7. Other teams may be scared away from offering him too much money. He may be willing to take a 1-2 year deal from the Isles (if they overpay) in order to prove he is over the injuries before going after a longer deal.

Fleischmann is red hot right now, but will cool down. He has not proven to be a consistent scorer over his career. Again, if the Isles pay for a 1-2 year deal, it may be a good opportunity for him to get some cash and prove himself worthy of a big money, long term deal.

Zherdev is another guy with baggage that will be available that fits. We should have gone after him this year. Other teams haven't been willing to give him the money in the past, no reason we can't.

If this team is sitting 10-15M away from the floor, there is no reason not to overpay these players. The team will be forced to overpay someone, might as well be someone who can put the puck in the net.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
If this team is sitting 10-15M away from the floor, there is no reason not to overpay these players. The team will be forced to overpay someone, might as well be someone who can put the puck in the net.
I would caution against this for the sole reason we are where we are is because no one takes this team seriously.

Overpay, sign scrubs, stupid contract lengths, etc......all symptoms of inadequate management and enough to scare off good players.

If we tried this rebuild the right way and signed enough vets to help the kids with so much promise, we have a wider berth of potential UFA's to select from.

To overpay and not operate wisely (we can change) would just be a continuation of the norm and we would go nowhere.

If we're going to overpay, it better be a 1st line top player (D or O). And that would be the ONLY exception.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:07 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I would caution against this for the sole reason we are where we are is because no one takes this team seriously.

Overpay, sign scrubs, stupid contract lengths, etc......all symptoms of inadequate management and enough to scare off good players.

If we tried this rebuild the right way and signed enough vets to help the kids with so much promise, we have a wider berth of potential UFA's to select from.

To overpay and not operate wisely (we can change) would just be a continuation of the norm and we would go nowhere.

If we're going to overpay, it better be a 1st line top player (D or O). And that would be the ONLY exception.
I see no problem with overpaying for second tier players, so long as it is on a 1-2 year deal. Anything that can improve the roster next year without handicapping the team down the road is fine with me.

Overpaying, on a short term deal, could be the very definition of acting wisely. For years we have heard Snow talk about how cap space is an asset. So use it. If this team could add 2 legit 25 goal scorers and a solid second pairing dman, does it matter how much it costs for one year? Is there anything else that the team will be doing with the cap space?

Besides, I think the team actually has a better chance of signing a player looking for a short term deal as opposed to a long one. The Isles can offer playing time and money, perfect for a player looking to prove themselves. On the other hand, given all of the uncertainty with this franchise, no player is going to want to sign long term with us anyway.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I see no problem with overpaying for second tier players, so long as it is on a 1-2 year deal. Anything that can improve the roster next year without handicapping the team down the road is fine with me.

Overpaying, on a short term deal, could be the very definition of acting wisely. For years we have heard Snow talk about how cap space is an asset. So use it. If this team could add 2 legit 25 goal scorers and a solid second pairing dman, does it matter how much it costs for one year? Is there anything else that the team will be doing with the cap space?

Besides, I think the team actually has a better chance of signing a player looking for a short term deal as opposed to a long one. The Isles can offer playing time and money, perfect for a player looking to prove themselves. On the other hand, given all of the uncertainty with this franchise, no player is going to want to sign long term with us anyway.
But the idea is to turn this joke into a serious club. If we don't start acting smart, we will remain "the stupid club."

If you hold onto smart business as a core principal, it may take time but players and agents will see and respect that. If we want the next Satan to get overpaid, we're going nowhere and not signing anyone better than the player willing to take the money.

And there are fewer and fewer of those guys every year.