HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#32: Penguins @ Flyers - Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The PP is atrocious. Though I am amazed at how well the team has transformed its ES play.

Thankfully, the PP isn't working for lack of talent. It's just poor decision making on the part of both the players and coaches. And that can be fixed.

If this team has half the PP/PK that they should have then they have to be considered favorites.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:29 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The PP is atrocious. Though I am amazed at how well the team has transformed its ES play.

Thankfully, the PP isn't working for lack of talent. It's just poor decision making on the part of both the players and coaches. And that can be fixed.

If this team has half the PP/PK that they should have then they have to be considered favorites.
I mean we are atop the league after beating some of the best in the east. We are contenders. As far as the PP we need to get it back to the point, in the middle of the ice, and blast away. Thats where allll of our success came from early this year and last year on the PP.

As far as the PK, focus more on clears and id like to see more stepping up at the blue line. Teams are getting access kinda easy.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I mean we are atop the league after beating some of the best in the east. We are contenders. As far as the PP we need to get it back to the point, in the middle of the ice, and blast away. Thats where allll of our success came from early this year and last year on the PP.

As far as the PK, focus more on clears and id like to see more stepping up at the blue line. Teams are getting access kinda easy.
The PP is important because it is such a stabilizing factor. When a PP is working consistently it really prevents multiple losses in a row and it will turn close games into ones with a great deal more breathing room. And, come playoff time, our ES play will be important but we don't want to run up against a brick wall goalie with a cold PP.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Eech

It got a little scary at the end but thankfully the Flyers pulled through! Carter wasn't on the score sheet but he had an excellent game.

Eech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
LOL -- so apparently TSN thought the Malkin trip on Coburn was worth a penalty. That's the play they showed when they talked about the penalty that gave the Flyers the PP that Hartnell scored on.

Are Pens fans whining about the call? that was a legit call. as legit as the Powe penalty. Yeah the refs blew some calls in the game as usual, the Flyers had half a doezen PP chances. plenty of opportunites to put the game away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That was a great, great win. I was watching the JustinTV feed, and it deteriorated throughout the 3rd. It started freezing with about 5 minutes left, and there were long stretches where I was left staring at glorious Pitt scoring opportunities holding my breath.

As much as I love the way the Flyers took a stranglehold in the 5-on-5 play, they have to work on their special teams work. Without the Shrek brainfart, they would have gone 0-for-5, and just looked like they were passing bowling balls with teaspoons. And on the PK, they spent way too much time in their own zone.

I know; why criticize after a win? But Laviolette has to be concerned with the Peco Power Failure.
I agree. You really have to scratch your head on why the PP isnt better. what is it now 4 for the last 55 or something? They just have to get back to basics. i think guys are trying to do to much. Especially on home ice where you know the fans are getting on em with each failed PP try. Thankfully Hartnell was in the right place at the right time for the last one. As far as the PK goes, I thought it had been pretty good in the last couple of games and were showing signs of getting better. Didnt think Boucher had any chance on any of the goals especially the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eech View Post
It got a little scary at the end but thankfully the Flyers pulled through! Carter wasn't on the score sheet but he had an excellent game.
Carter had a monster night defensively and did a good job in the faceoff dot as well. Knocked Crosby off the puck more then once. I know many of us get on him, but I thought he was very good tonight. All in all a solid team win. Its funny tho in past years Pittsburgh always found ways to beat the Flyers in the 1 goal games and when the Flyers won it was a butt kicking. This year 3 one goal wins and the loss of course was a 5-1 loss. I think our depth this year has made a huge differance this year against Pittsburgh. I know its only been 4 games, but you really have to like what you see in the games against Pittsburgh.
If we play the way we have the last 2 games especially 5 on 5 the Flyers will be a very difficult game to deal with.
Tomorrow night is going to be key for me. I hope they dont have a letdown emotionally and physically.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
flyersguy33*

I still dont think Hartnell ever touched that puck. Think it should have been Prongers goal. Not that big of a deal, but my fantasy team is upset over it

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
I still dont think Hartnell ever touched that puck. Think it should have been Prongers goal. Not that big of a deal, but my fantasy team is upset over it
I think it did change direction when it went by Hartnell. I havent seen a slowmo replay yet, just real time so I cant be 100 percent on this

Old
12-15-2010, 01:47 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think it did change direction when it went by Hartnell. I havent seen a slowmo replay yet, just real time so I cant be 100 percent on this
Watching the slowmo replay on Sportscenter, it looked like it hit off the defenseman that was tied up with Hartnell. Forget who it was though

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:01 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

Quote:
Watching the slowmo replay on Sportscenter, it looked like it hit off the defenseman that was tied up with Hartnell. Forget who it was though
It might have, but maybe someone has access to another camera angle that shows the puck glance off Hartnell. Who knows. Really dont matter to me, the Flyers won the game. Unless you loser your fantasy week because Pronger didnt get the goal haha

Old
12-15-2010, 02:10 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

How the hell does Crosby get an assist on the first goal? The puck went from him to Malkin, to Goligoski, back to Malkin, goal. I'd think his assist goes away once Goligoski doesn't shoot. Am I wrong?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:37 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
How the hell does Crosby get an assist on the first goal? The puck went from him to Malkin, to Goligoski, back to Malkin, goal. I'd think his assist goes away once Goligoski doesn't shoot. Am I wrong?
yeah. as long as goligoski plays it back to the person that dealt him the puck (in this case, malkin), then the person that made the original pass to malkin (crosby) gets the secondary assist.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:43 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
yeah. as long as goligoski plays it back to the person that dealt him the puck (in this case, malkin), then the person that made the original pass to malkin (crosby) gets the secondary assist.
Huh. OK then. I guess that's my "learn something new everyday" something. Thanks.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:45 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Hartnell would've mentioned it to the refs or someone if he hadn't touched the puck.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:51 AM
chaosof99*

Because it came up earlier, according to the associated press, December 14th is the earliest the Fliers got to 20 wins since 1986.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:33 AM
chaosof99*

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:57 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Because it came up earlier, according to the associated press, December 14th is the earliest the Fliers got to 20 wins since 1986.
Just in time for the December/January slump!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Are Pens fans whining about the call? that was a legit call. as legit as the Powe penalty. Yeah the refs blew some calls in the game as usual, the Flyers had half a doezen PP chances. plenty of opportunites to put the game away.
No, not at all. And it would have been a legit call had it been made. That was the 2nd infraction by Malkin on the same sequence. He got called for the first one (interference) but not the trip.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:13 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
No, not at all. And it would have been a legit call had it been made. That was the 2nd infraction by Malkin on the same sequence. He got called for the first one (interference) but not the trip.
And that was clear as day a trip. No idea how that one went uncalled.

Old
12-15-2010, 07:14 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
thanks, I was looking for that

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Carter at C and play D like that is great.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:57 AM
jb**

JVR is way to invisible more times than not. He needs to start asserting himself. I dont know if soft is the right word. Something about his game that I just cant put my finger on. He just doesn’t seem motivated enough. At some point he needs to offer a lto more than he is showing. Lucky for him he can stay in the background on this team.

Nodl in no way should see any power play time in a close game. The pp is struggling big time yet zherdev again gets no pp time out there. Lavy is really stubborn to a fault sometimes.

wonder id shelley will get right back into the lineup?

If hartnell could ever be stronger on his skates he really would be a complete player. My 6 year old son is harder to knock of his skates htan him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
JVR is way to invisible more times than not. He needs to start asserting himself. I dont know if soft is the right word. Something about his game that I just cant put my finger on. He just doesn’t seem motivated enough. At some point he needs to offer a lto more than he is showing. Lucky for him he can stay in the background on this team.

Nodl in no way should see any power play time in a close game. The pp is struggling big time yet zherdev again gets no pp time out there. Lavy is really stubborn to a fault sometimes.

wonder id shelley will get right back into the lineup?

If hartnell could ever be stronger on his skates he really would be a complete player. My 6 year old son is harder to knock of his skates htan him.
Zherdev did get PP time.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:02 AM
DUHockey9

Speaking of calls....

Sometimes I reaaaaaally can't stand being at the game just because I have to listen to morons. Some guy behind me was complaining about the high sticking call on whoever high sticked Malkin. I don't get it. How can you possibly complain? A high stick call is one of the calls that has the least subjectivity to it. Aside from the odd phantom call, it's almost always clear cut. You either sticked them in the face/head or you didn't.

Or even worse, someone that complains when the puck is shot out of play from the defensive zone. Again, no subjectivity here (unless there's a small chance it was deflected). It was shot out, you can't complain!

Or even WORSE. People that concede a high stick call but complain about 4 minutes when they are bleeding. Perhaps the least subjective call there is. Blood = 4 minutes. Stop complaining morons!

If I had it my way, I'd kick those morons out of the game haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:07 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Speaking of calls....

Sometimes I reaaaaaally can't stand being at the game just because I have to listen to morons. Some guy behind me was complaining about the high sticking call on whoever high sticked Malkin. I don't get it. How can you possibly complain? A high stick call is one of the calls that has the least subjectivity to it. Aside from the odd phantom call, it's almost always clear cut. You either sticked them in the face/head or you didn't.

Or even worse, someone that complains when the puck is shot out of play from the defensive zone. Again, no subjectivity here (unless there's a small chance it was deflected). It was shot out, you can't complain!

Or even WORSE. People that concede a high stick call but complain about 4 minutes when they are bleeding. Perhaps the least subjective call there is. Blood = 4 minutes. Stop complaining morons!

If I had it my way, I'd kick those morons out of the game haha.
It also shows a huge lack of discipline, which is even worse than just being clear as day.

The 4 minutes for blood makes sense because if it's deep enough, the player cut has to leave the bench to the locker room to get stitched up, which obviously knocks him out of play. Again, makes sense.

Some people in the crowd are just morons. I'd say probably 4 out of 5 times, my reaction is "ugh that was dumb" on penalties the Flyers get.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:14 AM
MrHockey1982

Love that we won and for all of those Pens fans that still think they are better with a full lineup, here are some valid points that suggest otherwise:

We beat you in the first game without Chris Pronger

We beat you last night with Brian Boucher in net

Also in last nights game, the Flyers outshot the Penguins, 37-23. Pittsburgh managed just 14 shots in even-strength situations.

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote