HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#32: Penguins @ Flyers - Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-15-2010, 08:15 AM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Speaking of calls....

Sometimes I reaaaaaally can't stand being at the game just because I have to listen to morons. Some guy behind me was complaining about the high sticking call on whoever high sticked Malkin. I don't get it. How can you possibly complain? A high stick call is one of the calls that has the least subjectivity to it. Aside from the odd phantom call, it's almost always clear cut. You either sticked them in the face/head or you didn't.

Or even worse, someone that complains when the puck is shot out of play from the defensive zone. Again, no subjectivity here (unless there's a small chance it was deflected). It was shot out, you can't complain!

Or even WORSE. People that concede a high stick call but complain about 4 minutes when they are bleeding. Perhaps the least subjective call there is. Blood = 4 minutes. Stop complaining morons!

If I had it my way, I'd kick those morons out of the game haha.
I think the 4 minutes for bleeding rule is actually one of the dumbest rules in sports. I see what you're saying though, it's annoying when people blame the refs on clear cut penalties.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
It also shows a huge lack of discipline, which is even worse than just being clear as day.

The 4 minutes for blood makes sense because if it's deep enough, the player cut has to leave the bench to the locker room to get stitched up, which obviously knocks him out of play. Again, makes sense.

Some people in the crowd are just morons. I'd say probably 4 out of 5 times, my reaction is "ugh that was dumb" on penalties the Flyers get.
Exactly. Very rarely do I really think a call was blown. Aside from that the only other time I complain is when a game is just riddle with calls. I prefer to let them play.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:18 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think the 4 minutes for bleeding rule is actually one of the dumbest rules in sports. I see what you're saying though, it's annoying when people blame the refs on clear cut penalties.
Yea. Whether or not it's a good rule is another issue altogether. My point is just that, you CAN'T get that one wrong haha (as a ref).

Old
12-15-2010, 08:32 AM
97FlyersKing18

If the initial high sticking call is made, then the ref cannot miss the bleeding and must give 4 min. However, we have seen players get high sticked with subsequent bleeding, but no call. Remember Jamie Langenbrunner a few games back when he was sticked by Richards and was clearly bleeding as a result. If called, it would have been a 6on3, and it would be hard to imagine the Flyers winning in regulation. No call was made and the Flyers held on to win.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:36 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Zherdev did get PP time.
limited, nothing to get into the flow

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The high stick on Malkin hit him on the chest not the face

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Not from what I saw.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Still came close to the face and still no reason to have the stick up that high.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Not from what I saw.
I dunno I really think it did (I am talking about Nodl one). Malkin just threw his head back anyway.

Quote:
Still came close to the face and still no reason to have the stick up that high.
True but it was a fluke really. Nodl tried to poke check him with a sweep and his stick rode up Malkin's and went up high. Still a bit reckless but Malkin sold it well

Betts was 88% on faceoffs last night! Richards at 50% Carter at 47%.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
I dunno I really think it did (I am talking about Nodl one). Malkin just threw his head back anyway.

True but it was a fluke really. Nodl tried to poke check him with a sweep and his stick rode up Malkin's and went up high. Still a bit reckless but Malkin sold it well

Betts was 88% on faceoffs last night! Richards at 50% Carter at 47%.
Malkin's risking whiplash with those head snaps. Now, Briere and Carcillo are just as bad, but....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Malkin's risking whiplash with those head snaps. Now, Briere and Carcillo are just as bad, but....
yeah Briere tried to buy a call in the 3rd with a whiplash but the ref ignored him

Old
12-15-2010, 09:37 AM
kicksave27

Anyone else think malkin should get a game or two for his blindside hit on betts? He's gotten away with sluefoots, fights at end of games, and general douchery. That is a dangerous and intentional play, that could cause injury in concussion prone players.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Terence Peterman

I with you on hating the people who complain about certain stuff at games, DU. I was there last night and I had someone in front of me rag on Carter for losing a defensive zone draw. Like...really, dude? He's been near tops in the league for FOs this year and even if he wasn't, he's still the best FO guy on the team. You can't be serious.

Then someone ragged on Briere for not keeping the puck in at some point early on, when it had very little to do with him at all. Hockey attracts a lot of people who I'm not sure have ever been a part of it outside a couch, and it requires a lot of thinking I don't think they realize.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
HoverCarle*

he probably should get a fine or something, but he wont. betts wasnt hurt

Old
12-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Anyone else think malkin should get a game or two for his blindside hit on betts? He's gotten away with sluefoots, fights at end of games, and general douchery. That is a dangerous and intentional play, that could cause injury in concussion prone players.
He wouldn't be suspended until someone got hurt. I get what he was doing there, and it was dumb, but I think two minutes is good enough.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Heading into the game, the Flyers were 12-2-2 with Carcillo in the lineup and 7-5-3 without him.

A coincidence?

"I don't know," he said, smiling. "I guess it is what it is."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz18CC9cV6w
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Carcillo learning from Homer

I always forget that the Pens draft Carcillo

awesome picture from the game: http://media.philly.com/images/300*2...lyersYK_01.jpg

Old
12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
BringBackStevens

There were two high sticks on Malkin. The Nodl one absolutely was NOT a high stick as hit hit his chest. It was am awful call. However, the Carle one was obvious and the correct call was made

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Malkin does get away with a LOT of crap. Too much. Anyone else remember when he tackled Hartnell and punched him in the head for no call?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:55 AM
agrudez*

For those complaining about Malkin whipping his head back when he gets hit in the chest, did anyone see Pronger do that in front of Boosh earlyish in the game?

He stood there bent over holding his face for 10-20 seconds while the Pens controlled the puck in the offensive zone, then the replay CLEARLY showed he was hit in the chest. That was right before the cry face incident with Talbot.

I am all for gamesmanship, but if the Pens scored there I would be ripping Pronger real bad today.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:57 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
For those complaining about Malkin whipping his head back when he gets hit in the chest, did anyone see Pronger do that in front of Boosh earlyish in the game?

He stood there bent over holding his face for 10-20 seconds while the Pens controlled the puck in the offensive zone, then the replay CLEARLY showed he was hit in the chest. That was right before the cry face incident with Talbot.

I am all for gamesmanship, but if the Pens scored there I would be ripping Pronger real bad today.
I never did see a replay on the Pronger one.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

I saw this. I thought it was kinda funny, cause Pronger eventually stopped and went back to playing, as if to say "Oh well, maybe next time."

Old
12-15-2010, 10:09 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Carcillo learning from Homer

I always forget that the Pens draft Carcillo

awesome picture from the game: http://media.philly.com/images/300*2...lyersYK_01.jpg
Wasn't there a similar stat last year with Powe? Let me go check:
With Powe: 38-21-4
Without Powe: 3-14-2

Probably more to do with Powe being out for the horrendous stretch during last November/December, than him actually being the cause for it though. It is kinda strange though that the losing streak began with Powe's absence and ended with Powe's presence. There is also the fact that the three games Powe missed in March were all losses, one in OT.

Anyway, never underestimate the small cogs that keep the machine turning.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Malkin is the only one in the league that I know of that falls over more than Hartnell.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
HoverCarle*

Malkin and Hartnell are two of the stupidest players in the league

Old
12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:

It felt like 20 sec but it was more like 5. And are you sure he didnt get hit in the face? Cause when I saw the replay it looked like he got clipped. Then they showed him again and Pronger had a cut above his left eye which is where his stick went.

And how is the 4 min PP correct for blood? Its VERY rare that a player gets cut deep enough to get stitches from a high stick. More often than not they are small nicks or reopening of scabs. Such a dumb rule, thought that was universally accepted...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote